Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

edster said:
Has anyone experienced this yet or is it just isolated cases?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/canon-5d-mark-iii-light-leak/

Having just ordered one the day before this surfaced I took the time to read the two posts on Canon Rumours and all the forum discussion too. I also read the threads over on dpreview discussing the alleged issue (was that ever hard work!).

It would only seem to be an issue of you like taking long exposure shots of your lens cap or body cap. The phenomena also doesn't seem to isolated to the mk3, anecdotally other Canons and even Nikons would seem to be exhibiting the same or similar thing.

For now, I cry none-issue. The circumstances in which the metered exposure is purportedly affected are very false.

RSMarco said:
Even if anyone experiences it, who takes images of a lens cap? Life is too short.

Because if I'm paying £3k for a camera I'd rather it didn't leak any light at all. If none of the other bodies in this class exhibit the same issue, therefore it indicates a QA issue. Hence the question.

Last edited:
ChrisJ_SLH said:
Having just ordered one the day before this surfaced I took the time to read the two posts on Canon Rumours and all the forum discussion too. I also read the threads over on dpreview discussing the alleged issue (was that ever hard work!).

It would only seem to be an issue of you like taking long exposure shots of your lens cap or body cap. The phenomena also doesn't seem to isolated to the mk3, anecdotally other Canons and even Nikons would seem to be exhibiting the same or similar thing.

For now, I cry none-issue. The circumstances in which the metered exposure is purportedly affected are very false.

Ok, sounds like a non-event then. If Nikons are doing it as well then it can't be too much of an issue.

mipevo6 said:
Appears to be the new pricing since v 4.0.... well worth it if you ask me...

Excellent. Time to upgrade.

I know and I'm not being funny to you! But who is spending 3K to take pics of their lens cap. The tests show its common on other bodies but it has only raised its head on the MKIII.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, Apple released the Raw compatibility update for the Mark III last week. Woooooo.

I had some fun shooting at Gloucester Cathedral on the weekend.

Gloucester Cathedral by onona, on Flickr

I also shot a gig tonight in London; going through the shots now... This camera is such a pleasure to shoot with!

Because if I'm paying £3k for a camera I'd rather it didn't leak any light at all. If none of the other bodies in this class exhibit the same issue, therefore it indicates a QA issue. Hence the question.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume it is a QA issue.

Some have said that there mk3's exhibit the behaviour while others have said theirs don't. Firstly, we can't be sure they are testing in exactly the same manner. Secondly, even if only some samples show the behaviour then they may still be well within manufacturing tolerances.

All the evidence so far suggests that in real world use it makes not one bit of difference to metered exposure. It would only seem to be an issue when you are trying to get the camera to meter for midnight in the coal house, pitch black, very dark-o'clock (call it what you will). With the lens cap off, all is well.

It will be interesting to see what statement, if any, Canon issues on this. It already seems to be dying a death as an issue on the Dpreview forums and there are an awful lost of measurebaters over there.

I know and I'm not being funny to you! But who is spending 3K to take pics of their lens cap. The tests show its common on other bodies but it has only raised its head on the MKIII.

No worries mate, I totally understand the practicalities of it. I do a lot of night photography/long exposure/astrophotography, so as soon as you hear the words 'light leak' alarm bells start ringing for me.

Oh look there's an update - http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/the-light-leak-update/

Panic over.... Lol :)

Not exactly a scientific test imo. No panic, just trying to work out whether I buy or wait. Simple as that lol :)

I make no money from photography, so it's a big outlay for me. If there's an issue, I'll wait. I'd be pretty stupid not to ask any advice on something that costs £3k.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume it is a QA issue.

Some have said that there mk3's exhibit the behaviour while others have said theirs don't. Firstly, we can't be sure they are testing in exactly the same manner. Secondly, even if only some samples show the behaviour then they may still be well within manufacturing tolerances.

All the evidence so far suggests that in real world use it makes not one bit of difference to metered exposure. It would only seem to be an issue when you are trying to get the camera to meter for midnight in the coal house, pitch black, very dark-o'clock (call it what you will). With the lens cap off, all is well.

It will be interesting to see what statement, if any, Canon issues on this. It already seems to be dying a death as an issue on the Dpreview forums and there are an awful lost of measurebaters over there.

I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions, just trying to gauge opinion from real world users (you guys) and not measurebaters, as you put it! I know Canon are pretty hot on QA, hence the delay to the 1DX. Your post was very useful, as were others, just the sort of info I was after. i.e. not some sensationalised report from a techy website. If the problem exists on other bodies then that's fine - I'm sure if it was a real issue it would have been sorted on previous bodies. Like you say, it will be interesting if Canon keep it under their hat or whether they feel the need to release a statement on it.

I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions, just trying to gauge opinion from real world users (you guys) and not measurebaters, as you put it!

No worries Ed, I wasn't having a go. Sorry if it came across that way.

I must admit a mild panic when the issue first broke cover as I had literally just placed my order (should be with me in a day or two - yipee!). Like you, this is a big outlay for me for what is just a hobby so I was a bit concerned for a while.

I've been following the discussion over on Dpreview since the mk3 was announced and believe me, the histrionics, wild speculation, whining and bleating over there is hard going sometimes. There are a few rational posters but a whole load of trolls too. The TP forums are a much nicer place to be on the whole.

No worries Ed, I wasn't having a go. Sorry if it came across that way.

I must admit a mild panic when the issue first broke cover as I had literally just placed my order (should be with me in a day or two - yipee!). Like you, this is a big outlay for me for what is just a hobby so I was a bit concerned for a while.

I've been following the discussion over on Dpreview since the mk3 was announced and believe me, the histrionics, wild speculation, whining and bleating over there is hard going sometimes. There are a few rational posters but a whole load of trolls too. The TP forums are a much nicer place to be on the whole.

No worries at all Chris, no offence taken! Yeah I've just been looking at a few of those posts and I think I'll leave them to it! Most of the 'tests' that seem to have been carried out by users seem to be a bit flakey to say the least. I like posting on here because you generally get a rational response to these things other than the usual scaremongering.

Hope you have fun with your MkIII - be sure to post some images when you're up and running. I'm hoping to purchase mine next month depending on how the finances go. Can't wait, it looks like a cracker :D

I'm hoping to purchase mine next month depending on how the finances go. Can't wait, it looks like a cracker :D

Ed, you're going to love it, hopefully the teething problems on the mkIII won't be anything like the mkII's and there will always be a few niggles. But I am really impressed with mine.

If I was to have a niggle it's that they haven't released the grip yet as my chunky hands are used to gripped cameras :LOL: oh and the price of the grip too :eek:

I am a little bit in love :love: (or so the wife keeps telling me)

Scott

In case it hasn't been mentioned, Apple released the Raw compatibility update for the Mark III last week. Woooooo.

I also shot a gig tonight in London; going through the shots now... This camera is such a pleasure to shoot with!

Loved these shots......

Commented on Flickr....

Really pleased with my MK III

Ed, you're going to love it, hopefully the teething problems on the mkIII won't be anything like the mkII's and there will always be a few niggles. But I am really impressed with mine.

If I was to have a niggle it's that they haven't released the grip yet as my chunky hands are used to gripped cameras :LOL: oh and the price of the grip too :eek:

I am a little bit in love :love: (or so the wife keeps telling me)

Scott

Nice one, that's good to hear. Can't wait to get mine. I'm just itching to get my hands on one!

The phenomena also doesn't seem to isolated to the mk3, anecdotally other Canons and even Nikons would seem to be exhibiting the same or similar thing.

I tried my 5D mk1 and it didn't suffer this. Watching the vid I did wonder in what circumstances this would be a real world issue. I don't think it would ever be for me but I'd imagine that for some it would (no matter how small a problem is it's always an issue for someone somewhere.) Plus there's the annoyance factor of having paid a lot for a camera with such a silly flaw.

I've downloaded LR v4.0 from Adobe but there are no updates available, perhaps it needs to be registered first?

Looking on the Adobe forums it looks like I'm not alone having problems with non-CS5.1 products and the 5D3.

You need the LR4.1 RC (release candidate) download. 4.0 won't update to 4.1 automatically until it goes gold.

The RC will still update your 4.0 installation fine though.

Can anyone comment just how much better at focus tracking the mk3 is over the mk2? Am I right in thinking it is a completely new Auto Focus system, or just that the mk3 has 64 focus point versus 9 and that the actual speed and functionality is the same as mk2?

The focus system is based on the 1d x completely different system and MUCH better....

I have done birds in flight and penguins swimming and the MK III didn't even break a sweat.....

Just purchased one today will arrive on Friday :woot::woot: cant wait all excited :love:

Great shot. The Cathedral textures really ad to the sharpness on this one.

Can you share your settings?

Thanks for the compliments :)

I shot it in manual with a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L with these settings:

Shutter: 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal length: 17 mm
ISO: 800

Cheers.

So manually exposed and metered from..? I guess you had to do a bit of exposure balance and recovery in PP?

Yep, I metered from the closest thing I could find to a midtone, due to the strong contrast between light and dark, and then pushed and pulled some of the areas in post to get the right levels.

Have you previously owned a Mk2?
Thanks

I still own a MK II as well...

There is no comparison...

The MK II AF is slow and clunky compared to the 7D, the MK III appears to be as fast and even more accurate than the 7D...

I am impressed.....

Got mine and haven't yet had the chance to field test it but I'm liking what I see so far. Love the dof preview button location and changing it to swap between one shot and servo. That's going to be a god send with children's photography.

Really like the min shutter option but a bit peeved that the highest you can go to us 1/250. Why so? I want 1/500 and 1/1000 options for action shots. Hope this might be added in the future with a firmware update

Question. Is there a way to have the autofocus point selection using the joystick work straight away without having to press the top right button on the back first? Like you could with the mark 2?

Last edited:
Got mine and haven't yet had the chance to field test it but I'm liking what I see so far. Love the dof preview button location and changing it to swap between one shot and servo. That's going to be a god send with children's photography.

Really like the min shutter option but a bit peeved that the highest you can go to us 1/250. Why so? I want 1/500 and 1/1000 options for action shots. Hope this might be added in the future with a firmware update

Question. Is there a way to have the autofocus point selection using the joystick work straight away without having to press the top right button on the back first? Like you could with the mark 2?

Agree on the dof preview button, I did the same :)

Agree on the min shutter option.... hopefully they will improve this....

I have the point selection working fine without pressing the top right button, let me check what I set to make this work....

Edit -- set custom control for the joystick to af point direct selection

Last edited:
Finally got home from work and have had the chance to have a play. First impressions are overwhelmingly positive.

The AF system is impressive, very impressive. It's going to take some time to get to grips with this.

Anyone who claims the ISO performance is not much better than the mk2 is frankly talking out of their behind. After rattling a few random shots at ISO 12800, the retained detail and and colours are great. The noise is very pleasing too and responds well to NR in Lightroom.

As Joe and Martin have said, the reposition DOF button and the ability to change focus mode with it is great.

Can't wait to get out with it in anger.

Also, I must congratulate Kerso on both a great price and fabulous customer service. The guy is a star! (y)

Seen this on several forums now. Not the sort of thing you want to read after spending £3000+

Back