Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Canon Rummers look to have got the story straight from the US POTN forum, but if true thinks are starting to look really bad a Canon.

Stop raving about the mk3 and posting photos that show off its capabilities so much.... I am wanting one so badly but the asking price is still a little too much for me : (

Ref the recall...

Quote from post on POTN:

I just called Canon tech assistance and CPS

They say its a BS rumor. NOTHING AT ALL. THERE WILL BE A filmware UPDATE FOR THE 800MM LENS. Called national camera exchange they said they have heard nothing at all.

All the camera stores are closed for holiday vacations...total BS rumor

I hope they are right...

Just received mine today been playing around absolutely well impressed delighted so far ;)

Canon have now posted a product advisory for the 5D MKIII

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480538fc7

To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera

Thank you for using Canon products.

The phenomenon described below has been confirmed when using the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera.
Canon is now examining the countermeasures and once the countermeasures are decided, we will post the information on our Web site.

Phenomenon
In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change as a result of the AE sensor’s detection of light from the LCD panel.

Affected Product
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera

Support
Once the preparations are complete, we will be making an announcement on our Web site.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

Thank you,
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc

Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON
1-800-652-2666
TDD: 1-866-251-3752
Email: carecenter@cits.canon.com
For additional support options: www.usa.canon.com/support

Now I wonder if that's an internal light leak or if it's light from the lcd getting back in via the view finder.

could be an issue on video and the sort of stuff I shoot in dark clubs and theatres :eek:

I've had a chance to try the test with the lens cap on and got a small change in metered exposure when top panel LCD illumination is turned on.

However with the lens cap off, and in very dark conditions (I was really struggling to read the top LCD even when dark adapted), there was no change in metering.

I await the further announcements with interest, but for now I can't imagine a scenario where it would be an issue.

Well my new memory cards for the 5D3 have arrived today (y) I just need my new camera now :( I'm not being very patient now :LOL:

[S4]I WANT MY NEW CAMERA[/S4]

I've ordered 2x 16Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 90mb/s CF and 2 x 8Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s that should serve me well, I've also booked my computer in for a RAM upgrade to help handle the much larger files to what my 450D pumps out (y)

Matt

I've had a chance to try the test with the lens cap on and got a small change in metered exposure when top panel LCD illumination is turned on.

However with the lens cap off, and in very dark conditions (I was really struggling to read the top LCD even when dark adapted), there was no change in metering.

I await the further announcements with interest, but for now I can't imagine a scenario where it would be an issue.

Exactly - in a really dark place with a bright light on the top LCD you might get an erroneous reading. How often does that happen ?

Will it stop me buying this camera - no. It will be fixed by adding some blackout material under the LCD so Elstree will be a bit busy fixing the early models. I would expect newer models to be factory fitted with the solution within a couple of weeks.

Very impressive. Makes up for the fact that the Exif shows that there's a wee problem with the shooting date! ;)

LOL

I forgot it was an american import and 12/4/2012 inputting into the camera would make it december :LOL:

The video on you tube showing the exposure meter altering in day light was the worrying one for me. Long shutter landscapes with filters on etc are at risk

The video on you tube showing the exposure meter altering in day light was the worrying one for me. Long shutter landscapes with filters on etc are at risk

I confess have ordered it and it currently being in the air on it's way to me this is of concern, I'll have to see how bad it is/how much it affects the long exposures, it it transpires to be a massive issue I'm sure canon will fix it (y)

Matt :D

I found this linked from POTN. Apparently Canon Japan has posted an update on the service advisory...

Small Update on Canon EOS 5D Mark III Service Notice
Canon, Inc. has issued a similar Canon EOS 5D Mark III service notice (Google translation).

Canon, Inc. adds that a "dark environment" is likely to be:

1. If you have installed the body cap

2. If you attach the lens cap

Now I'm really looking forward to see what solution to this 'problem' is....

There does now seem to be a culture of people who look for problems, no matter how obscure.

I really don't get that kind of person, I'm just over excited about getting what looks to be a massively impressive new camera and my first L lens :woot:

my only problem is that my camera has only just been put on the plane :( I thought that it had been put on this morning alas not it's had a nice 12 hour sit in an LD3 at HKG DHL centre :bonk: still hoping that lit can make it though leipzig hub and onto EMA centre nice and fast over night (y)

Matt

I still don't get why people are shooting with there lens caps on :thinking: I'm still confident that if this is a major issue then canon will have them back to fix at some point (y)

Matt

LOL - it was exactly the same when the 5DII came out.
Lots of lens cap images were posted to show hot pixels and banding.
And there also was the storm over the legendary black dot problem.
The forums said the 5dII was unusable and should not have been put on sale.
The 5DII price dipped massively, so I took a punt and bought a bargain.

Canon did nothing about either of the lens cap problems and issued a firmware fix that lessened the black dot problem (it is still there).
Remarkably, sense prevailed and the 5DII quickly built a reputation for excellent image quality.
There were no more bargains to be had once Canon struggled to keep up with demand.

In summary...
Some people need to get out more :)

LOL - it was exactly the same when the 5DII came out.
Lots of lens cap images were posted to show hot pixels and banding.
And there also was the storm over the legendary black dot problem.
The forums said the 5dII was unusable and should not have been put on sale.
The 5DII price dipped massively, so I took a punt and bought a bargain.

Canon did nothing about either of the lens cap problems and issued a firmware fix that lessened the black dot problem (it is still there).
Remarkably, sense prevailed and the 5DII quickly built a reputation for excellent image quality.
There were no more bargains to be had once Canon struggled to keep up with demand.

In summary...
Some people need to get out more :)

Interesting so there is a distinct possibility that half of it is people trying to force the price down :cautious: I don't care, I've already ordered so what the price does now is of now particular consequence to me :shrug:

Matt

Interesting so there is a distinct possibility that half of it is people trying to force the price down :cautious: I don't care, I've already ordered so what the price does now is of now particular consequence to me :shrug:

Matt

I didn't say that!!!
It's just forums being forums, and all the perceived IQ problems put people off buying them enough to impact the price - even though with 20/20 hindsight the 5DII was (and still is) bloomin good.
However, the 5DII initial impression makes the 5DIII 'problems' look genuinely insignificant.

I can't see the 5DIII price shifting much unless a huge number of sales get lost to Nikon; and that is looking less and less likely with the current opinion strongly advocating that both cameras are awesome and there are no reasons (including price) good enough to warrant switching brands.

I didn't say that!!!
It's just forums being forums, and all the perceived IQ problems put people off buying them enough to impact the price - even though with 20/20 hindsight the 5DII was (and still is) bloomin good.
However, the 5DII initial impression makes the 5DIII 'problems' look genuinely insignificant.

I can't see the 5DIII price shifting much unless a huge number of sales get lost to Nikon; and that is looking less and less likely with the current opinion strongly advocating that both cameras are awesome and there are no reasons (including price) good enough to warrant switching brands.

:LOL: :LOL: I'm in the camp of not really caring anyway (y) once you've clicked buy personally I don't care which way the price goes now :D

TJJ said:
For those that do HDR here's the URL for the next beta version of Photomatix which supports 5D3 .cr2 files
http://www.hdr-photography.com/pm/PhotomatixPro42b3x32.exe

FYI It's been proven that You get better results from Photomatix from converting to tiff's first than let Photomatix convert the raw images. I've tried this myself and it is definitely better using tiff's in Photomatix.

been out with this today and I just can't get over the difference in the focus system. It's in a different league. This shot is at f/1.6 85mm. The DOF was 13 cm and this was a moving target. I was using an outer focus point tracking on servo.

This wasn't just a one off, I got shots like this all day. I have 20 swing shots all in perfect focus.

swing by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

100% crop

swing100crop by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

@joescrivens Was that shot using the 85mm f/1.2L by any chance? The quality is outstanding & thats an amazing example of the MKIII's focusing capabilities.

been out with this today and I just can't get over the difference in the focus system. It's in a different league. This shot is at f/1.6 85mm. The DOF was 13 cm and this was a moving target. I was using an outer focus point tracking on servo.

This wasn't just a one off, I got shots like this all day. I have 20 swing shots all in perfect focus.

swing by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

100% crop

swing100crop by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

Nice spot on focusing :)

@joescrivens Was that shot using the 85mm f/1.2L by any chance? The quality is outstanding & thats an amazing example of the MKIII's focusing capabilities.

No it was with the sigma 85mm 1.4, which has everything te keg has at half the price and much faster focus speed. I think it would be impossible for the keg to track a moving subject at that speed.

Here is another swing shot at 1.6 this time the distance to subject was much closer meaning the DOF was less than 5cm.

swing2 by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

100 crop

swing1002 by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

and also i thought i'd share this just because it's so cute. I took both my mark 3 and mark 2 with me using a black rapid strap yesterday and shot the 135mm f/2 on one and the 85mm 1.4 on the other, swapped them around during the day. In the end I had 83 shots I kept and 70 of them were from the mark 3, it really is leagues ahead of the mark 2 when it comes to focussing

9R4C0582 by JoeBoyMan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely shots Joe.

You've sold it to me. I'd get 2 out of 10 in focus on the 5d2 using an outer point.

All those lovely extra focus points is going to make composition so much easier with wide aperture lenses. Looking forward to seeing more of your shots!

I have posted a separate thread but asking in here also.

I want a WA for my 5D MKIII and can't decide which one to go with. It's mainly for landscapes and architecture but will also use it for cars and shots in the house etc.

With the MKIII having good high iso capabilities I'm wondering if this would kind of help with the 1stop advantage of the 16-35?

What about sharpness etc?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

I have posted a separate thread but asking in here also.

I want a WA for my 5D MKIII and can't decide which one to go with. It's mainly for landscapes and architecture but will also use it for cars and shots in the house etc.

With the MKIII having good high iso capabilities I'm wondering if this would kind of help with the 1stop advantage of the 16-35?

What about sharpness etc?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

the 2.8 of the 16-35 over the 17-40 is kind of pointless with landscapes - since you'll typically be going in the f/8 to f/16 or more region.

The 2.8 is more for people who want to use the wide angles for more creative things than typical landscapes and buildings etc

joescrivens said:
the 2.8 of the 16-35 over the 17-40 is kind of pointless with landscapes - since you'll typically be going in the f/8 to f/16 or more region.

The 2.8 is more for people who want to use the wide angles for more creative things than typical landscapes and buildings etc

Creative in what way mate?

Creative in what way mate?

well, that's up to the photographer, but where a shallow DOF on a wide angle might be needed, like a wedding cake or where part of a room doesn't need to be in focus etc.

The point is straight forward landscapes and buildings are going to need a large DOF

Back