Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

It looks like the serial number on the camera doesn't match the serial number in the EXIF fo his shots.
This indicates that it is indeed a fake serial number on the label, just as Canon have said.

But it still leaves the question of why DR would do this? Are they intentionally trying to make it look like an UK or EU supplied body, so the buyer can get the camera fixed under local warranty, but screwed up the number in this particular case? Wouldn't a Canon service centre check the s/n label against the s/n in the EXIF before carrying out any repairs. Still none the wiser about any of this really :shrug:

Yeah, its very confusing.
I brought a Hoya Pro 1D ND filter from them a couple of years ago. It arrived in a box that was for the very cheapest range Hoya do, and with a white label on that someone had written Pro 1D on it. I posted about it on here when it happened. Based on that i can believe anything.
I know DR have a good rep, Ive just spent £2400 with them, but based on my experience i can believe they would try and pull a fast one.

Yeah, its very confusing.
I brought a Hoya Pro 1D ND filter from them a couple of years ago. It arrived in a box that was for the very cheapest range Hoya do, and with a white label on that someone had written Pro 1D on it. I posted about it on here when it happened. Based on that i can believe anything.
I know DR have a good rep, Ive just spent £2400 with them, but based on my experience i can believe they would try and pull a fast one.
are you sure the filter was fake? and not just an incorrect box

got mine today and i have to say i love it. Coming from a d700 there's a bit of a learning curve but i'm training myself hard to get used to the different button layouts etc. It all seems pretty intuitive though, i must say.

However, is there a way to actually zoom the image in to the focus point selected for the shot, rather than zooming it in to the middle of the shot?

are you sure the filter was fake? and not just an incorrect box

Yep. it had the wrong, or lack of, markings on the filter itself.

@rampanthamster. yes. you can set the camera to zoom in to the AF point at 100% automatically by pressing the Spyglass button.

But it still leaves the question of why DR would do this? Are they intentionally trying to make it look like an UK or EU supplied body, so the buyer can get the camera fixed under local warranty, but screwed up the number in this particular case? Wouldn't a Canon service centre check the s/n label against the s/n in the EXIF before carrying out any repairs. Still none the wiser about any of this really :shrug:

The whole issue is strange i wonder if any one knows the OP that posted in the other forum and can verify the issue.

I mention this as one way for a UK distributor to unsettle potential grey buyers would be a thread that suggests fake anything.

With the 5D3 being such a new model it seems bizarre anyone would change a serial except maybe if it was stolen stock so that police could not identify it. Since it's off DR i find it hard to believe they buy stolen cameras the reputation and prosecution risk would be immense.

I have not read the entire thread on the other forum however in one post the price paid was in $'s wonder if it was bought off e bay rather than the DR that is meant to cover all elements of the issue.

Allan

I've read the various threads going around about the DR issue, and I don't quite get the 'alarm'..

If it was widespread, we'd know by now, people have been checking serial numbers on eoscount and it seems this is quite isolated..

Things happen to the most legitimate companies, I've been sold fake headphones by Amazon and even the company I work for where supplied fake ICs for our product, which are 10p items.. all where just 'one of those things'.. and not worth running to the internet with the attitude that the company must be 'outed' or something..

Highly paranoid behaviour to me, or I may be just too chilled out.. If DR didn't 'sort it out' would I be taking it further..

I think that guy in the original thread needs to watch what he says with regards his threats against DR.

So is it definite that as long as all serial numbers match that Canon WILL deal with any problems either under warranty or paid for, regardless of where it was bought?

On the thread there is someone who posted a warranty card from Aus and it clearly says that they won't deal with grey imports.

I'm planning on buying a mk3 from Panamoz early next year, but this is worrying!

I'm not sure it would be completely legal to refuse a warranty repair on the grounds of the item being purchased in another territory. An owner could have easily moved from Asia to an EU country and brought a product with them, or they could be on a working placement etc.

Last I heard Canon's policy was to prioritise repairs to domestic market but they did honour the warranty.

I'm not sure it would be completely legal to refuse a warranty repair on the grounds of the item being purchased in another territory. An owner could have easily moved from Asia to an EU country and brought a product with them, or they could be on a working placement etc.

Last I heard Canon's policy was to prioritise repairs to domestic market but they did honour the warranty.

I have confirmation in writing from Canon UK that equipment I have bought from Asia and North America is covered under the local warranty.

Which goes with what I'd heard , I don't know why they issue complicated warranty cards tbh, 1 global warranty process would be much easier to administer.

I have confirmation in writing from Canon UK that equipment I have bought from Asia and North America is covered under the local warranty.

Warranty is not the same as refusal to repair point blank.

I.e. 3 years old camera, out of warranty, one is bought here, one is bought in Japan.

Would it matter to them which one they repair? Would the price be different?

FYI, my 5Diii's serial matches from Kerso (US body) and DR (Asia) between EXIF and body.

Last edited:
Warranty is not the same as refusal to repair point blank.

I.e. 3 years old camera, out of warranty, one is bought here, one is bought in Japan.

Would it matter to them which one they repair? Would the price be different?

FYI, my 5Diii's serial matches from Kerso (US body) and DR (Asia) between EXIF and body.

No I realise that but I was commenting on digitalfailure's post specifically.

Re what you are saying though, it has been pointed out before that some parts may be different between different regions causing delay to repairs and possible cost differences but I've never seen anything specific.

I've always taken that to be 450D/T1i/Kiss body differences and the like.

graphilly said:

That doesn't tally with the warranty card issued in Aus/NZ that specially states that it doesn't cover equipment sourced from outside that country. The card also printed out the serial number(s). Maybe it's something Canon is rolling out to the rest of the world?? :shrug:

'is covered under the local warranty' reads to me as though may mean that it's covered under the warranty in the country it was bought in and that the claim must be made in that country.

But I could be wrong.

'is covered under the local warranty' reads to me as though may mean that it's covered under the warranty in the country it was bought in and that the claim must be made in that country.

But I could be wrong.

No that's not the way it is actually worded, that was just the way I wrote it here. It actually states UK. My sister made similar enquiries before buying from abroad and she got the same email response as me.

I've never had to make a claim but she got her 5DMKII from Hong Kong and had an in intermittent shutter issue in live view. Canon covered the repair under warranty no problem.

That doesn't tally with the warranty card issued in Aus/NZ that specially states that it doesn't cover equipment sourced from outside that country. The card also printed out the serial number(s). Maybe it's something Canon is rolling out to the rest of the world?? :shrug:

Well I don't know if it is something being rolled out. I had read people stating that Canon UK wouldn't cover anything other than lenses under a UK warranty. That's why I initially enquired about bodies too.

I still hear people saying that only lenses are covered and others saying only UK/EU stuff is covered though :)

I am fairly confident that they would cover any of my stuff under warranty if required.

I'm lost.. I'm in Library mode, then select Metadata, which do I select then? Edit Metadata Presets? That doesn't show much..:bonk::thinking:

Left of "MetaData" is a DropDown menu and it's on "Default".
Open the DragDown menu and select "Exif + IPTC", then scroll down and you will see the Serial.

So anyhow.

Photo from a Mk3?

FXstl.jpg

pridash said:
I'm planning on buying a mk3 from Panamoz early next year, but this is worrying!

It is, but then again it always has been. Is it worth stumping up and extra few quid for getting it from a local supplier. I guess it is.

So anyhow.

Photo from a Mk3?

FXstl.jpg

Nice defocussed background, not sure about the flowers out of focus but a lovely pose as well. I bet that looks great full size.

You're not helping. Seriously looking at getting this camera next month. :D

Dexy101 said:
It is, but then again it always has been. Is it worth stumping up and extra few quid for getting it from a local supplier. I guess it is.
It's a lot of extra few pounds if you are concerned buy a warranty. Several years ago I had a Samsung rear projector tv when I had an issue Samsung could not even identify the fact they had manufactured the set. You are a rare person if you have never had an issue with a manufacturers warranty.

I dont think so... I buy pretty much all my equipment from where I can save myself bundles of cash
my 20d went to Canon a number of times Kerso bought far cheaper than here
my 40d has been back twice
1.4x converter bought off ebay being repaired as I type this
Hong Kong sourced 400mm Lens repaired by Canon UK at Elstree

I paid under two grand for my 5d3 4 months ago and it is still £2500 here quite a few folks have got the 5d3 including 24-105 L Lens cheaper than the body only here

so please give me a break with all the scare mongering once 12 months is up it matters not two hoots where it came from

the issue is Canon bodies have continental warranties and is sometimes problematic if the buyer has a problem in the first 12 months

my thoughts are that the savings on a 5d3 are so massive that even if it breaks down twice and I had to pay - it would be still be cheaper than buying it here in rip off UK

with a cheaper product where the buyer saves 50 or 100 quid fair enough but lets get real here £600 savings!!!

if you drop the camera on a concrete floor completely trashing the body you would still be well in pocket with the 5d3 prices

Nice defocussed background, not sure about the flowers out of focus but a lovely pose as well. I bet that looks great full size.

You're not helping. Seriously looking at getting this camera next month. :D

It goes with this photo together :)

Avmyd.jpg

So got some money coming at the end of the month and seriously thinking of upgrading to a 5d mk3 body only.
What's the latest pricing from paramoz as uk price seems to be £2455, grey import just under £2k. That's a big price difference.

What am I doing wrong? All my Flickr uploads from the 5Diii have the Exif data stripped from them. My 7D and 550D both show their Exif on Flickr and I use the same program (FastStone) to process them prior to upload with all the same settings. FastStone shows me the data for all three bodies. I've been all through the 5Diii menus and can't find anything amiss. The fact that FastStone shows the data points to a more unusual issue.....:thinking::shrug:

Edit. Just checked the two above from onform and they are the same as mine.

Last edited:
What's the latest pricing from paramoz as uk price seems to be £2455, grey import just under £2k.

From my Panamoz thread on the 15th

Just ordered a 5DMk3, paid by Bank Transfer - £1825.

Cannot wait, only hope I get used to it before our second child arrives, will be close to see what comes first.....!

Back