Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

so please give me a break with all the scare mongering once 12 months is up it matters not two hoots where it came from

Settle down there tiger. I'm not scare mongering :LOL: I too want the cheapest deals on my camera, but what happens in the case of the guys camera who's is messed up? What would you do there then? I'm not saying it will happen to you, but its happened to this dude and just lucky he paid by credit card where he has a chance to get his money back.

Galaxy66 said:
From my Panamoz thread on the 15th

Cheers, that's £600 cheaper than uk shops! No wonder that's extremely attractive. I'll check the thread and re-read this.

Next question. What's everyone using as a wide lens? I love my 10-22 on my 50d as it fits in nicely with my 24-105 and I know thats the kit lens with the 5d mk3, but (if you excuse my dodgy maths thoughts) that works out about the equivalent of 16mm. To get the equivalent wide that I currently have, I'd need 15-16mm lens at the bottom end.

Do I need anything? 16-35 looks promising (but expensive), 17-40 less so, but both hugely overlap the 24-105. Perhaps I just leave the 50d with the 10-22 on it in my camera bag for now :)

Just mulling over ideas really

When I made the switch from crop to full-frame, I bought a 17-40mm and haven't looked back... The only thing to be aware of is some vignetting when using filters. :)

Settle down there tiger. I'm not scare mongering :LOL: I too want the cheapest deals on my camera, but what happens in the case of the guys camera who's is messed up? What would you do there then? I'm not saying it will happen to you, but its happened to this dude and just lucky he paid by credit card where he has a chance to get his money back.

People have been buying from Digital Rev for nearly 10 years and this incident is the first of its type in the whole 10 years that I have come across
not nice for the guy involved but no doubt all will be resolved in due course
but the reality is that consumers in the UK have been buying equipment for donkeys years form Both the USA and Hong Kong without incident
and when one bad deal comes to light this whole issue about buying from abroad somehow people thinking that a camera or Lens bought from the USA or Hong Kong is in some way inferior to what Jessops and the like sell

in the case of the 5d3 which is a stunning bargain IMHO at the Panamoz price if it goes wrong I am fully prepared to stump up the £30 or £40 to post it back for swap or repair - still saving massive amounts on what we are being ripped off for

Buttkicker said:
People have been buying from Digital Rev for nearly 10 years and this incident is the first of its type in the whole 10 years that I have come across
not nice for the guy involved but no doubt all will be resolved in due course
but the reality is that consumers in the UK have been buying equipment for donkeys years form Both the USA and Hong Kong without incident
and when one bad deal comes to light this whole issue about buying from abroad somehow people thinking that a camera or Lens bought from the USA or Hong Kong is in some way inferior to what Jessops and the like sell

in the case of the 5d3 which is a stunning bargain IMHO at the Panamoz price if it goes wrong I am fully prepared to stump up the £30 or £40 to post it back for swap or repair - still saving massive amounts on what we are being ripped off for

I fully agree with you mate.

The uk shops and sites are a rip off. But the thing is the postage for sending all that back insured is £160 he was saying. I said to just pay it. It's far cheaper than getting from the uk.

As for digital rev you should maybe read their eBay negative feedback. It's certainly not the first time it's happened and won't be the last.

The uk shops and sites are a rip off. But the thing is the postage for sending all that back insured is £160 he was saying. I said to just pay it. It's far cheaper than getting from the uk.

As for digital rev you should maybe read their eBay negative feedback. It's certainly not the first time it's happened and won't be the last.
sorry mate but thats very misleading what you have written ,theres no mention of the same thing happening on there feedback (ive just read all the neg)in fact most/some of the negs on there are people not reading the advert correctly and then complaining .
not that Ive ever shopped with digrev but the scaremongering that seems to be going around at the moment isn't right ,give them a chance to sort it (get the camera in question in there hands 1st)

You don't have to send it back to China, they already have an excellent 1 year warranty and you can buy for very little extra what they call a "replacement warranty" that provides an immediate replacement within 12 months instead of a repair this is often free on some items.

Even without the insurance you return it to a UK address for repair or replacement.

Unbeatable warranty and customer service in my opinion, as well as price.

Last edited:
17-40 for me as well, the jump in price and weight for the 16-35 is just not worth it for everyday landscape shots that I do.

sorry mate but thats very misleading what you have written ,theres no mention of the same thing happening on there feedback (ive just read all the neg)in fact most/some of the negs on there are people not reading the advert correctly and then complaining .
not that Ive ever shopped with digrev but the scaremongering that seems to be going around at the moment isn't right ,give them a chance to sort it (get the camera in question in there hands 1st)

Hmm, I'm sure when reading the feedback on eBay there were plenty negative feedback's, OK so not saying exactly that, but i certainly wouldn't buy from them, they clearly do have second hand parts that are repackaged and shipped to someone else.

Anyway it's maybe just me but i wont be buying from anyone with negative feedback, its not the way to run a business.

What am I doing wrong? All my Flickr uploads from the 5Diii have the Exif data stripped from them. My 7D and 550D both show their Exif on Flickr and I use the same program (FastStone) to process them prior to upload with all the same settings. FastStone shows me the data for all three bodies. I've been all through the 5Diii menus and can't find anything amiss. The fact that FastStone shows the data points to a more unusual issue.....:thinking::shrug:

Edit. Just checked the two above from onform and they are the same as mine.

I just tried it with both 60D and 5DMKIII files and found the same thing. Faststone is stripping the Exif from the files when it saves to jpg.

The original raw files have the exif but when I open the converted jpg's they don't have any Exif.

A shot form this weekend. Im really getting in to using primes at the moment, and love my new 100 f2.

Christmas Market on the Southbank. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

A shot from this weekend. Im really getting in to using primes at the moment, and love my new 100 f2.
Ditto, but my trusty 135mm f2 :D

20121117-115946-I39A6381-L.jpg
20121117-110248-I39A6229-L.jpg

I've been wondering about that £160. I can't believe that's what DR would have spent in the first place to send the items to the UK. I wonder if that guy has got a quote for a different form of postage.
It seems like another person has the same issue, although we have no real way of knowing if its a legit issue.

Duncan, now you're just showing off lol.
I'm not sure I'd get on with 135 as much as 100 as an everyday lens but I'd love that lens for when I do need longer.

DR may have a fixed postage policy, for example, if someone decide to send something via UPS 24 hours and it cost £200 for a certain weight but it costs £50 if it is a 3 days shipping. It wouldn't be economical for the company to spend £200 when the product arrives the same just a few days later.

What really should be the appropriate way to return is for the consumer to submit a return request (like Amazon), and then the retailer set up a courier to pick it up (like Amazon), that way the customer doesn't have to worry about the cost of postage, nor insurance. The onus is on the retailer to take care of it. The only thing the consumer need to do is package it up correctly, stick on the label generated from the RMA procedure.

I've been wondering about that £160. I can't believe that's what DR would have spent in the first place to send the items to the UK. I wonder if that guy has got a quote for a different form of postage.
It seems like another person has the same issue, although we have no real way of knowing if its a legit issue.

Duncan, now you're just showing off lol.
I'm not sure I'd get on with 135 as much as 100 as an everyday lens but I'd love that lens for when I do need longer.

Yes it really is shocking, I know from the few items ive received from Hong Kong that the description on the packaging has not been whats in the packet, it must be to pay less for postage, this is only small items ive had delivered.

As for the 135, try one, you wont look back :)

I did notice the label on my package from DR didn't seem to reflect exactly what's in the box, or at least not the full cost. I assumed DR do sort all the return postage out, that's what they seem to suggest in their door to door warranty. I wonder if this is not the case.

Amazon are fantastic with their returns and warranty replacements. I recently had to return two Canon 17-55 f/2.8 lenses and had no problems.

I will get to try a 135 L one day, but for now I'm looking for a wider lens. Something in the 35mm range, hopefully the new 35 f/2 IS but it's a bit on the expensive side. Then again, all the good things in life are.

I should have pointed out that the second of my two images (feathers mask) is of a dancer who was moving at high speed, this image is wide open at f2 and uncropped!
I can't fault the 5DIII performance using single shot (silent) and AI Servo - it's like black magic :)

They are great images. I agree about the AF, it's like a breath of fresh air after all these years using other cameras. I've never had much luck with AI Servo in the past but now I use it quite a lot (DOF button enabled).

hi guys, loving my mark 3 and been customising the hell out of it over the past couple of days. One thing though, i have the zoom button to zoom in 100% on the focus point of the image on the screen. However, when i scroll through the images using my back wheel, the zoom will stay on where the original image's focus point was, regardless of whether or not that focus point was used in subsequent images.

Is there any way i can scroll through 100% zoomed images and get the zoom to fall on where the particular focus point is in that shot??

i have the zoom button to zoom in 100% on the focus point of the image on the screen. However, when i scroll through the images using my back wheel, the zoom will stay on where the original image's focus point was, regardless of whether or not that focus point was used in subsequent images.

Is there any way i can scroll through 100% zoomed images and get the zoom to fall on where the particular focus point is in that shot??
Unless I'm missing something, the 100% zoom function (it's actually 10x magnification of the original image) has nothing to do with a particular focus point. Just like with previous Canon models where you pressed the '+' button many times to zoom in, this function takes you straight to full magnification at the first press. The magnfication is centred on the middle of the picture. Scrolling through shots with the back wheel just gives the same amount of (central) magnification of those particular shots.

Unless I'm missing something, the 100% zoom function (it's actually 10x magnification of the original image) has nothing to do with a particular focus point. Just like with previous Canon models where you pressed the '+' button many times to zoom in, this function takes you straight to full magnification at the first press. The magnfication is centred on the middle of the picture. Scrolling through shots with the back wheel just gives the same amount of (central) magnification of those particular shots.

Check page 252 of the manual. "Actual Size" will magnify on the AF point which was selected when the shot was taken. Won't work if MF was used, in which case it will just magnify the centre of the shot.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had any issues with attaching a Meike battery grip to a 5D MkIII? I bought one off eBay last week and put 2 fully charged batteries in it which both work in the camera on their own but with the battery grip attached the camera won’t power on. I noticed that as soon as the battery door opens the power to the camera is cut off and as the battery door needs to be removed to attach the grip I’m wondering if the grip is failing to make the necessary contact to tell the camera that a grip is attached.

Any help or suggestions?

Has anyone ever had any issues with attaching a Meike battery grip to a 5D MkIII? I bought one off eBay last week and put 2 fully charged batteries in it which both work in the camera on their own but with the battery grip attached the camera won’t power on. I noticed that as soon as the battery door opens the power to the camera is cut off and as the battery door needs to be removed to attach the grip I’m wondering if the grip is failing to make the necessary contact to tell the camera that a grip is attached.

Any help or suggestions?

Have you tried cleaning the contacts?

Well I tried my 7day shop batteries out, and they charged fine. Put it in the camera, and it reads full battery. Turned it on again the next day, and the battery indicator was flashing, saying it was almost dead! Pulled the battery out and back in, and it was indicating full again..

My verdict? It'll do.

Check page 252 of the manual. "Actual Size" will magnify on the AF point which was selected when the shot was taken.
I'm a bloke, therefore I don't read manuals and I get things wrong as a result.:bonk:

To be fair, I only ever use the centre point AF so I wouldn't have noticed this feature. I therefore can't explain why scrolling with the rear wheel at 10x doesn't shift the magnification point. Perhaps that will be in next Aprils firmware update.:shrug:

thanks guys, not a massive problem but would have been nice. I really love how customisable the camera is though, especially being about to 'dual back button focus'...ie i have the af on to focus on the selected focus point, then i have the * button to autofocus on a pre assigned point to the far left for when i want to quickly compose a shot to the left.

domino1999 said:
Have you tried cleaning the contacts?

The contacts on the battery grip are brand new and clean and look undamaged. The contacts within the cameras battery chamber work fine with just a battery in there so I assume they are fine too. I don't want to go poking round in there to clean something that's probably as clean as it gets. The camera is only 2 weeks old.

The contacts on the battery grip are brand new and clean and look undamaged. The contacts within the cameras battery chamber work fine with just a battery in there so I assume they are fine too. I don't want to go poking round in there to clean something that's probably as clean as it gets. The camera is only 2 weeks old.

So when the grip is attached, have you tried to fire off a few shots with everything switched on?

Rob,
Just in case you aren't aware, the round pins on top of the battery grip are the communications ones for the buttons/joystick. Battery power is transferred through the two slots in the middle of the post between the two sets of round pins (if that makes sense!) The contacts in these can get bent over when inserting in to the camera if they are not spaced apart correctly.
Tim

This is a link to the grip I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330764558904?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I take it the power contacts are the ones shown in the 3rd photo within the description. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check anything right now but I had a good check at the weekend and I certainly couldn't see anything wrong. I will check again tonight.

Ah. Sorry Rob, I was on about something different. The part of the grip that you insert into the camera battery compartment has contacts at the top to transfer battery power to the camera. These are the two slots I mentioned.
I've had a grip where the metal contacts in one of the slots were pushed down so didn't make contact with the camera. I'd post a picture to better explain but I'm at work.

I had some time to kill tonight so went up to the Tower Bridge area. Apparently today is World Toilet day so this "thing" has been erected. The mind boggles.

Celebrating World Toilet Day, 19th Nov 2012. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

Celebrating World Toilet Day, 19th Nov 2012. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

And of course, as its November, something Christmas lol. Gotta love the high ISO settings. I only had two primes with me, i would normally have used a IS enabled lens to get this but I have no worries about ISO12800 with this camera.

Christmas Red Ball at Hayes Galleria, London. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

Back