Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Really liked that video Phil and will have a go myself now after seeing that! So do you autofocus and then start shooting? Can you hold the backbutton focus down to keep it autofocussing and keep it in ai servo mode?

No canon DSLR other than the 650D has continuous AF during video. Not even magic lantern can give this feature to a camera that doesn't have the hybrid sensor.

Thanks guys. Yup i did a bit of reading and it seems the technique is to use autofocus before you start shooting to get things set up and then you have to either keep the distance between you and your subject the same or manually focus.

Phil you did a fantastic job mate :)

Cheers Dubcat (y)

I didn't use autofocus at all, completely manual. Not sure how well auto focusing works, will have to try it and see!

Very nice video. I wish I had owned a 5DMKIII when my kids were younger, at least they dont move around much when they are that age. Makes it a lot easier to focus lol.

Thanks guys. Yup i did a bit of reading and it seems the technique is to use autofocus before you start shooting to get things set up and then you have to either keep the distance between you and your subject the same or manually focus.

Well you can use AF during video, but you will get picture disturbance whiel the camera focuses. If you are going to edit the footage it's possible you can afford to loose a second or two, in which case AF is usable, but not continually like a video camera.

Very nice video. I wish I had owned a 5DMKIII when my kids were younger, at least they dont move around much when they are that age. Makes it a lot easier to focus lol.

Thanks again guys, chuffed with your comments!

That's interesting about the autofocusing Dave, didn't know that. Would be interested to see the 650D in action to see how smooth it is etc.

I'm really pleased I've had a go now, look forward to doing some more in the future.

My mate has the 650D and it seems to track ok in good light. it's not as instant as a decent video camera but I found it much closer to one than the other DSLR's that can't do this.
it's actually a nice little camera, and one I would love to own if I didn't already have a 60D as a back up.

It has arrived. I'm not sure what's buzzing more, me or my broken freezer. Just waiting for the battery to charge before I have a play.

In the mean time;

talkphoto.jpg

talkphoto-2.jpg

talkphoto-3.jpg

Congrats, nice looking set up.

Thanks Dave, I'm really pleased with it.

Awesome... glad it's arrived mate!

Get some pics posted once that battery's charged! (y)

Thanks. Awesome is putting it mildly.

Detail is awesome, dynamic range is awesome, the way it handles dof is awesome, AF is awesome, auto iso is awesome. Yeah, awesome. Oh, and the lens - wow.

I just had a quick play, but I'm off out so will have a proper play tomorrow afternoon.

Not much to take stuff of, but here is a quick couple.

MK5A4577-3.jpg

MK5A4579.jpg

My mate has the 650D and it seems to track ok in good light. it's not as instant as a decent video camera but I found it much closer to one than the other DSLR's that can't do this.
it's actually a nice little camera, and one I would love to own if I didn't already have a 60D as a back up.

I've just looked the 650d up as didn't know that much about it - looks like its got some great features as it goes! My brother is thinking of getting a 550d, might advise him to check that one out first :)

I've just looked the 650d up as didn't know that much about it - looks like its got some great features as it goes! My brother is thinking of getting a 550d, might advise him to check that one out first :)

Yeah, its a really nice camera. If he can afford it i see no reason not to get it over the other bodies.
My mate has two, one as a 5DMKIII back up, and one he lent to his sister. He uses the 650D almost as much as the 5DMKIII.

I'd happily trade my 60D for one, it makes my 60D seem old and tired lol.

Nice socks

:)

Nice, shiny new 5D MK3 with some superb glasss in front of it... congrats.

Cheers. They're both little beauties.

That shot makes me feel dizzy lol! :LOL:

Glad you're loving it just as much as I thought you would... one small bone to pick with you tho...

You haven't changed your camera on here to the new body! get it done as it feels great typing in those digits (y)

Done. I now feel far superior to the man I was 2 days ago.

theurbanclown said:
:)

Cheers. They're both little beauties.

Done. I now feel far superior to the man I was 2 days ago.

Can I ask why the 35mm prime as the choice of lens to go with your purchase ?! I've been looking at all kinds of lens combinations and am struggling to pick what would work for general work, portraits etc? I have a 24-70 Mk 2 and can't get my head around why a prime would be needed ?! (Other than for the sheer joy of owning another L series lens :) )

Can I ask why the 35mm prime as the choice of lens to go with your purchase ?! I've been looking at all kinds of lens combinations and am struggling to pick what would work for general work, portraits etc? I have a 24-70 Mk 2 and can't get my head around why a prime would be needed ?! (Other than for the sheer joy of owning another L series lens :) )

Sharper and better low light.better iq

I prefer the speed, image quality and low light ability of primes. The 35mm won't be ideal for portraits, but it's pretty much as wide a focal length as I need. I already have a 50mm and 85mm with a 135mm next on the list - the 35mm just seemed like a natural choice for me.

Makes sense. Do you hit accurate focusing all the time at the higher f stops? What's the 85mm prime like on the mk3- better than the 50mm ? Just curious ;) as all my current lenses are zooms.

jonneymendoza said:
Sharper and better low light.better iq

My 24-70 mark 2 is shaper than any of my primes. It's about as sharp as the 135L but certainly much shaper than my 35 or 50, even when those are stopped down. Seriously, the mark ii version of the 24-70 has surpassed all my expectations

My 24-70 mark 2 is shaper than any of my primes. It's about as sharp as the 135L but certainly much shaper than my 35 or 50, even when those are stopped down. Seriously, the mark ii version of the 24-70 has surpassed all my expectations

Doesnt beat my 70 200 mk2 f2.8. That's the sharpest out of the lot lol so sharp it can kill u

jonneymendoza said:
Doesnt beat my 70 200 mk2 f2.8. That's the sharpest out of the lot lol so sharp it can kill u

I have both and use them on my 7D, just missing the 5D mk3 body now :(!

Me with my 50d: It's a grey day, I'm going to have to bump up the ISO, I won't bother taking the camera with me when i go with the kids to the park.

Me with my 5d3: It's a grey day. Wooohoooooo! Lovely diffuse light! I can just brighten things up by bumping up the ISO!!!

Muahaaha - im off down the park.. WITH my camera.. oh oops almost forgot the kids.

You guys.... waiting is killing me!

I'm just counting down the days. I can afford the 5d3 now but need to add a 24-70mm to the mix too... Payday is soon, and a couple o things to sell on...

RichardtheSane said:
You guys.... waiting is killing me!

I'm just counting down the days. I can afford the 5d3 now but need to add a 24-70mm to the mix too... Payday is soon, and a couple o things to sell on...

Your kidneys ?!!

Hahah

Fortunately not, just a 7D + 17-55mm... but needs there to be a crossover so i'm not without camera/standard zoom... so waiting... and it's tough

RichardtheSane said:
Hahah

Fortunately not, just a 7D + 17-55mm... but needs there to be a crossover so i'm not without camera/standard zoom... so waiting... and it's tough

I'm doing the same. Got the lens, now offloading some Csc lenses to fund one. Daughter married last year so kidneys have already gone lol

I've set the magnification, so you can review the image at 100% with one press, but it's a bit of a redundant feature for me as it only works if you've composed then focused with the AF point. If you focus then recompose, it doesn't detect your chosen point of focus, just the position of your selected AF point in relation to the framing - it's a bit annoying.

I've set the magnification, so you can review the image at 100% with one press, but it's a bit of a redundant feature for me as it only works if you've composed then focused with the AF point. If you focus then recompose, it doesn't detect your chosen point of focus, just the position of your selected AF point in relation to the framing - it's a bit annoying.

With all the focus points available do you always have to focus and recompose?
I'm sure some shots dont need it.

Superb quality images Niall, shows what the primes are capable of (y)

Superb quality images Niall, shows what the primes are capable of (y)

Yeah, the 85L is by far my favourite and most used. I used to use the Sigma 50mm 1.4 all the time on the 60D and this is better again due to the 0.2 more awesome available :D Seriously though, the 85L is superb and the 35L I haven't used as much but it's great for smaller areas, although I haven't had much chance to use it in good light so I've not got that many shots with it.

I need a flash and don't have spare cash! :(

I stuck some in people and portraits from this weekend. Loving mine.

What does everyone use as a super wide lens? I'm loving my 24-105 on it, but am considering a 14mm. The canon would be good, but a samyung fits the current budget. Anyone used the 8-15 fisheye zoom? Is it too much for a full frame.

Bluesmachine said:
Yeah, the 85L is by far my favourite and most used. I used to use the Sigma 50mm 1.4 all the time on the 60D and this is better again due to the 0.2 more awesome available :D Seriously though, the 85L is superb and the 35L I haven't used as much but it's great for smaller areas, although I haven't had much chance to use it in good light so I've not got that many shots with it.

I need a flash and don't have spare cash! :(

Im currently saving for a 5D mk3 (7D at moment) and having been wondering what the advantages of primes are and which one would be the optimal one for using with a new body. You've answered my questions with those shots, and the ones you have on Flickr as well. They are razor sharp well done. I've had a 25mm on a gx1 but had trouble with correct focus. Must have been operator error I think! The 85L looks like the way forward for my needs.

For me the canon 100f/2 has been a real eye opener. I can't believe how nice this lens is on my 5D. I don't know what it is about the 5D but it just seems to make using primes a much more enjoyable experience compared to my crop cameras.
I'd love the 85L but I really enjoy how compact the 100 is. I might hire the 85 for my daughters wedding in May.

Back