Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Ooops, just realised I had been posting in the 5D2 thread earlier.

Duh!

On a more positive note, I'm really impressed with the tracking on this camera, and more so how you can assign the DOF button to switch between AI Servo and one shot.
I took this yesterday.
[im]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8097/8479285492_464dce7aa7_c.jpg[/img]
Bottoms up... by dave_bass5, on Flickr

Sounds like you want back button focusing matey :)

Turn AF-ON off on the shutter button in Custom Control menu (leaving just metering start) and use the AF-ON on the back of the camera to do the focusing. With focus on the back button you can leave the camera in AI Servo mode. If you need to shoot something moving, just hold down the back button with your thumb and fire away and AI Servo will do it's thing. If it’s a static subject, press the back button to get focus the release it, recompose and shoot basically making it a ONE SHOT. Best of both worlds (y)

drew

Last edited:
Nah, I've never got on with back button AF. I find its not needed most of the time and clumsy to use. I've tried on on numerous occasions over the past few years but always go back to the standard settings.
For me just holding down the DOF button for AI servo when I need it is much easier. I don't use AI Servo much so its not a big deal.
Thanks anyway. I don't want to debate this, it's a personal thing, i know lots of people like doing it this way but I know what works for me.(y)

Has anyone found their shutter button sensitive for taking images. Mines sometimes fire way before I've even half press it to focus

Yeah but you get used to it. I tend to use high speed silent mode most of the time so that slows things down a bit.

How can high speed silent mode stop the button taking the image before it has chance to focus?

What I meant is what I take a image with the shutter button a single image we usely half press to focus then full to take the image. I have found mine to be taking image right away before it focus ie too sensitive compare to the 7D i Had

Theres a definite difference between my 50D and the 5D but I've got used to it now, don't have any issues

How can high speed silent mode stop the button taking the image before it has chance to focus?

What I meant is what I take a image with the shutter button a single image we usely half press to focus then full to take the image. I have found mine to be taking image right away before it focus ie too sensitive compare to the 7D i Had

I mean it slows how many shots will be taken if I press too hard and actually press all the way down.
Just be gental with it, you will so get used to it.

You could also check that the AF first shot setting (I think it's called that) is set so it won't fire until focus has been achieved. I think mine was set to take the shot before AF was achieved if the camera thought it was taking too long when I got it.

It is a strange one, I tried DPP again and the shows it far less. White balance does seem to show it up more, but I'm wondering if Lightroom is also doing something to show it more. I have noticed lowering the vignetting slider in lens correction from its default 100 to around 40 helps quite a bit.

Thanks bebop and rookie for trying yours out. Ill wait and see what canon say. I could live with it but would like to try and get the official line on this.
There are a few threads around the Internet about this, both with the MKII and MKIII but most say its a sensor issue and canon can't always fix it 100%.

I'd be interested to hear the outcome. I noticed that it was much more visible in Lightroom too. I am slightly nervous that Lightroom and Adobe Bridge don't quite render the image as well as DPP.

Does it happen with all lenses? I only tried it with the 24-105mm

I need to investigate that quick shift between one shot and AI Servo. I was half way through setting up for a landscape shot today when an egret flew right past me! Or I might try back focusing again…couldn't get on with it before...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43667676@N08/8482892346/

Yes, DPP seems to handle that corner better, but its not enough to make me give up on LR.

Ive noticed it with both my Tamron 24-70 and Canon 100mm f/2, at least.

Ill keep you posted if i hear back from Canon.

Thats a great shot, well done getting that. I find the DOF method to be a god send for those times when i do need AI Servo. The back button method is ok, i use it for tripod night shots, but not for AI Servo, although i can see who others find it workable.

Where's the DOF button, is is the M-Fn button? Also how do you toggle between the two?

Go in to custom controls, either through the menu or by using the Q button and selecting custom controls (its the icon directly next to the Q button on the LCD).
Scroll down to the 4th icon, as you do you will see the different buttons light up on the screen showing where each one is. Hit the set button and that will give you different options that can be set for this button. Just select One shot-AI Servo.

I have started using the DoF button to temporarily go from one shot mode to AI Servo mode now too. It's a fantastic feature and with a bit of practice it becomes second nature to hold the button down. Thanks for the tip guys!

That DoF reassignment to Servo mode is very handy indeed!

Anyone able to recommend a good telephoto for motosport/travel? I'm off to the Chinese Grand Prix in April (again) and will shoot Hillclimbs up here in Scotland. I also travel a lot so don't want a huge long lens and don't want to spend silly money, E.g. 70-200mm F2.8L.

Considering the non-IS F4 70-200mm, but would the IS version be worth it, even though it costs a good 250+ pounds more? Also considering the 70-300mm L, but that's also over 800 and the F5.6 at 300mm shouldn't be a problem with the ISO handling of the 5D and gives extra reach over the 70-200mm anyway?

Ive got the 70-200 f/4 IS and think its definitely worth paying a bit extra for the IS (plus weather sealing). The lens is pretty small compared to a lot of zooms and i think it makes a good traveling lens.
Saying that, im hoping to sell mine this year and get the 70-300L. Since going FF i miss the longer reach i had with my 60D and yes, the loss of one stop but gain of 100mm is a good trade off IMO. Ive seen the 70-300L and i think closed up its shorter than the 70-200 f/4 so again, not a bad lens to travel with but when its open it is pretty big.

Another option might be the 70-200 f/4 Is with an extender. Once we get the FW update in April you could use the x2 extender with the 70-200 and still have AF, although f/8 might be a bit slow, i think id stick to the x1.4
I used my 70-200 with Canon x1.4 extender at Brands Hatch last year (just a track day) and it worked well.

Thanks Dave.

I'm leaning towards the 70-300ml for the extra reach and compactness, the 2 most important things since I travel a lot and try to keep my camera gear fairly compact. If I got one of the 70-200mm I'd probably end up getting the IS, then having to grab a 1.4x TC which in the end would cost more than the 70-300mm!!!!

Some lovely photos on your Flickr, the London skyline @ sunset from various bridges are top notch. Wish I had an SLR when I loved down there a few years ago.

It'll fit. The mirror won't hit the lens. But you will get a black circle around the frame as it's made for crop sensors.

Not correct I'm afraid.

The lens is a full frame lens, so there will be no black circle and it will work just fine.

Quick question:
Will the Tamorn 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC work on a 5D iii ?
Thanks

So yes, it will fit and work correctly.

ntvl1 said:
Quick question:
Thanks

Yes it will work, it's designed for a full frame sensor, in fact you should get amazing images from it.

I am interested in this lens too where best price you seen it for?

Some lovely photos on your Flickr, the London skyline @ sunset from various bridges are top notch. Wish I had an SLR when I loved down there a few years ago.

Thanks very much. I feel very lucking living in this part of London. Having lived in London all my life its only since getting in to photography that ive come to appreciate my surroundings.

Quick question:
Thanks

Ive got the Tamron. its probably my most used lens at the moment. It works perfectly on the 5DMKIII (and my 60D).
It looks like OneStopDigital are the cheapest right now. Panamoz was but their prices have gone up quite a bit.
One thing i will say is if you can afford it get it from over here. Im now on my second copy of this lens and this one has the same fault as the first, the VC has cut out and the lens has to be taken off and re mounted to get it working again. The first came from Panamoz but this one is from Amazon, as i wanted the 5 year warranty so i paid £850 for it. I think the extra is worth it for piece of mind with this lens. I might just be unlucky but as both developed the same fault within a few weeks of me getting this i have a feeling ill be using the warranty.

These were taken with my 5DMKIII/Tamron combo.

12 New Fetter Lane. by dave_bass5, on Flickr

Spinning faster on the Southbank by dave_bass5, on Flickr

What shutter remote you guys using pls?

I'm using a cheap wireless one I got for my 60D and a cheap cable release I got off Amazon for about £10. I'm not sure of the makes off hand but they aren't hard to find.

How much a cheap wireless one?

Last edited:
Didn't think a IR one works on 5d mkiii

Back