Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

I've dribbled all over my keyboard ready this thread, went to look at buying one and no one has one? Pre Order? where you getting them from? my dribble has turned to tears

ChrisJ_SLH said:
Well define UK...

If you want it sending to you from the UK with a UK invoice and warranty honoured by Canon UK (or the UK based supplier), Kerso does just that.

Where it came from originally would seem to be irrelevant, none of them are made here after all.

Oh I see, never new they were a uk retailer never used Kerso before. Thank you

Yeh, did it earlier. Drama free.

Hopefully the GPS-E2 this version supports will be launched shortly. I'll be jumping on one when it is.

Good to know, I may do it later, I have now just registered my camera and warranty while I was one there (y) and my 24-70 :D

I did the update as well no problem ;) what I did notice while on there was the annoying statement concerning the LCD panel when illuminated in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has decided on our service policy to address this phenomenon, so we would like to inform you of the details as described below.

Affected Products
EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2.

For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” (x represents any optional number)

Just so happens mine has a 1 in it boo hoo :( but then how many times will I be in the pitch dark pressing the illumination button and focusing ;) think I may just leave it , as they are asking to send it to the canon dealers to get it checked and fixed...Any of you guy's in the same boat :puke:

I did the update as well no problem ;) what I did notice while on there was the annoying statement concerning the LCD panel when illuminated in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has decided on our service policy to address this phenomenon, so we would like to inform you of the details as described below.

Affected Products
EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2.

For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” (x represents any optional number)

Just so happens mine has a 1 in it boo hoo :( but then how many times will I be in the pitch dark pressing the illumination button and focusing ;) think I may just leave it , as they are asking to send it to the canon dealers to get it checked and fixed...Any of you guy's in the same boat :puke:

Yeah mine has a one there too :LOL: but it's no issue, canon are going to fix it (y) though I've yet to see any issue in exposures :thinking:

Matt

Yeah, I'm in the affected serial number range as well. I also suspect everyone who has a mkIII so far is.

In my opinion, this is a complete none issue. I was able to replicate the metered exposure shift with the lens cap and viewfinder cover on but not without, even in very dark conditions. I couldn't get any change to metering shining a bright torch into the top LCD with or without the covers in place. ie any light at all getting to the meter (from viewfinder or lens) would seem to completely negate the light from the LCD back light.

Many have reported that the mkII does the same thing, as do other Canon and and some Nikon bodies.

It would seem that some people are looking for problems where they don't really exist. I certainly won't be sending mine in just for this issue. If it goes in for a service or clean then I'll get it done but otherwise no.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find their 5D Mk3 underexposes as standard? I'm finding I'm having to put 1.3 stops of +ve compensation on most shots.

The only thing I have noticed is the apparent AF point bias to evaluative metering. ie if I have been focusing on light/white subjects in the frame then a bit +ve compensation has been necessary. (I assume its because if the camera exposing for 18% gray thing). I believe the 7D behaves in a similar manner.

Metering otherwise, in my admittedly limited use so far, seems very good.

I'm happy with the metering thus far (y) and too believe the light leak is a total non issue, I'm struggling to think have someone would even have noticed it in the first place, I mean who thought that they would test is with the lens cap on and the viewfinder covered :cautious:

My only issue is the CR2 file comparability with Camera Raw. Downloaded the patch late last night over a dodgy hotel connection. Also downloaded the firmware and will apply later.

The good thing is that I still have all the images in Jpeg on the other card.

Took some shots last night in Sydney harbour and also had a go on The HDR modes... Not overly impressed to be honest and you will probably get better results with Topaz plug in.

Having said that, it's just a feature which is not the be all and end all to the camera.

According to the canon rep I mailed a few weeks ago, the grip was on track for end April. Perhaps that's changed again??

Over all, I am happy with it for sure!

Will be passing through Singapore again at the weekend, if there's a grip I will for sure pick up!

And it anyone wants to meet me at T3 at 0530 lol..

Ha! Likewise! Quantas - Let's clear the shelves of Profoto and set up a mini mart :)

This is my membership of another forum kicking in here :bang: but there is not 'u' in QANTAS :D it's Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service

Matt

Ha! Likewise! Quantas - Let's clear the shelves of Profoto and set up a mini mart :)

Happy to meet up for a beer & a chat if you like? If you are not in there already, I can get you into the Oneworld lounge.

Drop me a PM with your mobile no if interested.........:)

I have to agree with the non issue of the 'light leak'.

I am certainly not going to entrust my 5D3 to the courier. I could risk packing it and have it banged about in a van, stripped by canon and rebuilt and suffer the same return journey.

Seems to me that is asking for secondary issues to arise in the future :thumbsdown:

Mark

I am certainly not going to entrust my 5D3 to the courier. I could risk packing it and have it banged about in a van, stripped by canon and rebuilt and suffer the same return journey.

Seems to me that is asking for secondary issues to arise in the future :thumbsdown:

Mark

Well I'm planning on testing it soon as I get the opportunity on some night time stuff, If it shows up any issue then :shrug: I guess I'll get it repaired, if not that as you say why bother :D

This is my membership of another forum kicking in here :bang: but there is not 'u' in QANTAS :D it's Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service

Matt

Yep am with you there! Its just me being an illiterate.. (y)

Ian - Am eco all the way :crying: Will PM you.

So i haven't had a lot of time at all to get out and test but this is one from last night.

Please don't bleat about the composition and all that - it was a quick off the fly shot :)

Shot with the 24-70F2.8L at a focal of 24

F8 - 30 sec exposure - ISO100 (Exif intact)

HZ5B0232.jpg

Last edited:
Can't get one, not even from Kerso :crying:
That's it i'm unsubscribing from this thread! :D

Forgive me for not searching Matt as I know it's been discussed but what's the warranty set up with digital rev in a nutshell? I know kerso provides a UK receipt so you can register with Canon.

Thanks a lot for that. Just sold up, apart from a lens and a flash and not sure whether to pack in all together or not yet but this thread isn't helping. :)

Because of the firmware update mentioned earlier in the thread I went on line and updated the firmware on my 5D3. That got me into registering it and my new 24-70 lens with canon and removing the 7D that was registered.

That got me thinking about updating my Photo insurance which in turn required me to update my Excel sheet of Photo gear I own. That sheet has the description, serial no’s, price, and of course total cost. :eek:

OMG I can’t believe how much I have spent on kit :wacky:

Oh well, no pockets in shrouds :cool:

Mark

Visited Calumet spring show today and Canon guy says deliveries starting up again and bodies should be arriving retailers first week May, Praise be the lord.

Because of the firmware update mentioned earlier in the thread I went on line and updated the firmware on my 5D3. That got me into registering it and my new 24-70 lens with canon and removing the 7D that was registered.

That got me thinking about updating my Photo insurance which in turn required me to update my Excel sheet of Photo gear I own. That sheet has the description, serial no’s, price, and of course total cost. :eek:

OMG I can’t believe how much I have spent on kit :wacky:

Oh well, no pockets in shrouds :cool:

Mark

I prefer not to think about it, I especially prefer not to think about the kit that's on my to buy list as that list I don't think will ever end :eek:

Does anyone else find their 5D Mk3 underexposes as standard? I'm finding I'm having to put 1.3 stops of +ve compensation on most shots.

I've had to give on average a +1 to all shots with Canon cameras since the 5DMk1. This includes the 1Ds3 as well as the 5D Mk3. Canon I think tend to be a bit conservative with there exposures to protect the highlights in JPEG.

This was a discussion a few years ago on one of the other Photography sites

Mark

That's funny. How do you think it got to the warehouse/shop from the factory?

That's funny. How do you think it got to the warehouse/shop from the factory?

I suspect Mark's point was that for a issue that is in reality a non-issue he doesn't want the camera out of his possession any more than necessary, yeah in reality 99.9999999% of packages make it to destination unmolested but if something is not causing an issue why not wait until you've a solid reason to send it in (y)

Matt

the little gentle canon birds fly them there in cotton wool nets!:D

If you both go back and read my other post you would see you completely missed the 2 main points so for the hard of thinking:

(1) I don’t want to risk the hassle of a courier LOSING my 5D3

(2) I don’t want my factory built 5D3 stripped down again and rebuilt to fix something that to me is a none issue.

Mark.

Back