Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Did you not have to pay import tax and VAT?

No, they say it is all taken care of at their end, whether that is true or not I do not know but there was certainly nothing for me to pay.... £1995 all in :D

Thanks Mal! You have every right to be chuffed if it wasn't for your post I wouldn't have this shiny new beast sitting on my table :clap:

I was always going to post the deal up Andy........but not until I had mine first :D

Did you not have to pay import tax and VAT?

I keep posting this
There is no import duty on cameras only vat importing from Hong Kong to the uk
why these grey sellers imply there is i don't know, maybe it's just to reassure people who commonly think there is import duty

Last edited:
Here's a reason why I'm loving this camera so much already...

Prince Charles and Camilla arriving in Aberystwyth just now. The field they landed in is about a quarter of a mile away from my bedroom window (where this was taken from). This is a 1200x800 pixel 100% crop at ISO4000 with the EF70-300mm L and the Kenko Pro 300 DGX

5D3_0739.jpg

What I wouldn't have given for an 800mm though! :D

No ISO issue i can see, looks good

Allan

Here's a reason why I'm loving this camera so much already...

Prince Charles and Camilla arriving in Aberystwyth just now. The field they landed in is about a quarter of a mile away from my bedroom window (where this was taken from). This is a 1200x800 pixel 100% crop at ISO4000 with the EF70-300mm L and the Kenko Pro 300 DGX

5D3_0739.jpg

What I wouldn't have given for an 800mm though! :D

Good catch, wonder how many of us ever get to pap from our own homes lol, def agree the iso performance is so good can the 1dx be that much better?
Personally think I will be sticking to the 5d mkiii for the foreseeable and the results some of you are getting just reaffirms that thanks to all that have posted samples :)

Mine arrived today, already astounded at the ISO performance. I just dropped my Eye-Fi card in to see if it worked, up popped an Eye-Fi line in the settings menu!!! Thats a bonus I didn't know about.

To the importers;

How is the rs value effected on grey imports?

How could you identify that it has been imported if it comes with Eng manual/charger?

If I took the plunge, which is tempting at this price point would you buy lens from them guys aswell? Thinking of the 85mm f/1.2L II USM or 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II (maybe to big)

Too early to tell on the resell value, but I would have thought that any UK bought ones will be hit pretty hard though, given that if you're selling something here the first thing someone will usually say is you can buy it from X and thats with a guarantee. Still I hope to keep it for a few years when I get mine so I'm not too worried about that just now.

Checking for an import could be hard too, Canon would know but I don't know if the would tell you.

after the 12 months warranty is up its pretty irrelevant where it comes from
I have bought lots of camera equipment from overseas and so far touch wood never had a problem

but in the case of the 5D3 at these prices compared to UK I think you would need your head examining if you knew the Panamoz price and went ahead and paid the UK price

you could have two major breakdowns and pay for them your self and still be in pocket

Has anyone done a real world shoot yet and recorded what they're getting shot wise out of the batteries?

I know temp and bursts and other things etc all change the variable but just looking for the ball park.

I know they're the same batteries as the Mk2 and i've had 1500 out of them using it with the Mk2 with juice to spare, and have heard of people getting i excess of 2500 out of them.

Just curious as to what people are getting with the Mk3?

...but in the case of the 5D3 at these prices compared to UK I think you would need your head examining if you knew the Panamoz price and went ahead and paid the UK price...

I know it's 'just business' but that attitude is part of the reason for the decline of the independent camera shops in this country.

I knew about the Panamoz price and still bought mine from a small, independent store (Carmarthen Camera Centre). The price was a hundred quid lower than a lot of the main players and I traded in a lens too (something you can't do with an offshore supplier)... I certainly don't need my head examining as a result of supporting a local business! ;)

I also have the peace of mind of knowing that should my camera go tits-up, I can take it to Mathew (even outside of the warranty) and while it's being repaired, he'll let me borrow another camera so I'm not left without!

Some things are worth more than just cold, hard cash!

I also have the peace of mind of knowing that should my camera go tits-up, I can take it to Mathew (even outside of the warranty) and while it's being repaired, he'll let me borrow another camera so I'm not left without!

This is exactly a point I made recently in another thread with regard to Calumet. As much as I like to save a few bob I also value customer service, especially if it can get you out of a jam!

I know it's 'just business' but that attitude is part of the reason for the decline of the independent camera shops in this country.

I knew about the Panamoz price and still bought mine from a small, independent store (Carmarthen Camera Centre). The price was a hundred quid lower than a lot of the main players and I traded in a lens too (something you can't do with an offshore supplier)... I certainly don't need my head examining as a result of supporting a local business! ;)

Hi

I guess its not a case of head examined really it is do you have a local dealer who you trust. I had a local dealer RGB in Middlesbrough i bought 3 Bodies off him and a fair bit of glass. When it came to knowledge and help they had a great deal of knowledge.

They went bust when i tried to px a lenes it was way under the e bay price so i still had to sell on e bay. Of course when they went under i was left with a local Jessops who stock next to nothin. What i find a bit off is main dealers now have the you can not handle the goods any more mentality. Well if you can not feel it try it what is the point of going local.

I would love a local shop i spent a lot with them they are not there now may as well order off the net as really Canon only refuse warranty service they will repair the item.

I have a 5D 2 bought UK main Canon Dealer want a 5D3 they offered about £5 -600 less as px than e bay and they did have a £100 off also but not if you PX.

Just wanted to share my thoughts and really respect the folks who have diffent views.

Allan

Last edited:
I traded in a lens too (something you can't do with an offshore supplier)...

and no doubt you would of got more money for your Lens selling it privately than using a dealer

my experience of selling 2nd hand camera equipment to a high st shop cannot be printed on here totally laughable what they offer in comparison to selling private

customer service is a good thing to a point but when most high st shops are selling the 5d3 for £1000 more than Panamoz I am affraid the customer service does not come into it

we are in reccession here so punters can hardly be expected to become a charity to the Local shops with such a huge descrepancy in the pricing of this camera
£100 or £200 fair enough but we are talking £1000 here

and no doubt you would of got more money for your Lens selling it privately than using a dealer...

You'd have been in for a shock then Chris because the trade-in price I got for the lens matched what I'd have got for it on here. I'm not completely brain dead... :wacky:

Loyalty is also worth more than money! ;)

my experience of selling 2nd hand camera equipment to a high st shop cannot be printed on here totally laughable what they offer in comparison to selling private

I have to say that when I had a mental aberration and nearly sold all my Canon DSLR gear in favour of the M4/3 system I was pleasantly surprised by what MPB offered me, and I am well versed in the s/h value of kit.

The grey import issue will no doubt continue growing.

If we're talking a difference of perhaps 10-20% on lower priced items then I'll go for peace of mind and someone local.

If we're talking a difference of a grand then working a few extra days or weeks to pay the premium on a UK supplied product is going to be hard to justify.

Last edited:
I have to say that when I had a mental aberration and nearly sold all my Canon DSLR gear in favour of the M4/3 system I was pleasantly surprised by what MPB offered me, and I am well versed in the s/h value of kit.

Bit off subject sorry, i notice you are near Alnwick could you tell me if you have tried the gardens and castle if so do you know can you take images in the castle please.

Sorry if i am out of step with any regs folks....

Allan

I haven't trawled through the entire thread so my apologies if this has already been mentioned... :)

I had a look on Amazon for a BG-E11 grip and found one called the 'Pixel Pro Vertax' which was being sold by a company called UK Highland Photography for under £70. The grip arrived this afternoon and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of it. Apart from having the on/off switch in a different place to the original, it looks and feels really good. :)

It certainly beats the hell out of the £300+ that Canon are asking for the genuine version!

Bit off subject sorry, i notice you are near Alnwick could you tell me if you have tried the gardens and castle if so do you know can you take images in the castle please.

Sorry if i am out of step with any regs folks....

Allan

pm sent.

Last edited:
Spiritflier said:
I haven't trawled through the entire thread so my apologies if this has already been mentioned... :)

I had a look on Amazon for a BG-E11 grip and found one called the 'Pixel Pro Vertax' which was being sold by a company called UK Highland Photography for under £70. The grip arrived this afternoon and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of it. Apart from having the on/off switch in a different place to the original, it looks and feels really good. :)

It certainly beats the hell out of the £300+ that Canon are asking for the genuine version!

Cool, I was reading about this on potn. Uk highland were not showing this on their site the last time I looked.

It's still showing as being in stock from the Amazon page... Here's the LINK if you're after one. :)

I thought I'd share another piccy from the weekend.
A pair of festival fairies.
Not a perfect image, but I'm very happy considering this is a 15sec "Would you mind if I took your picture" shot.
5DIII, 25-105 at 35mm, f4, 1/2500s, ISO 100.
i-rdxd9T2-M.jpg

I took two shots, the other has a tighter crop, but I prefer this one that shows a bit of the festival.
Compared to the 5DII, I'm loving the way the focus points change when I change the camera orientation. Far more convenient for shots like this and easy to get used to; makes going back to the 5DII feel capable but clunky.

Spiritflier said:
It's still showing as being in stock from the Amazon page... Here's the LINK if you're after one. :)

Also available on the bay from cguk mine arrived fine and yes for 70 seems excellent value.

Cheers for the replies on the grip. So all good for £70?

Cheers for the replies on the grip. So all good for £70?

No worries... It's fine! Mine got its first proper outing today and there were no issues at all. It does exactly what it's supposed to and it's definitely worth the money. :)

Si

Cheers Chris - thats a beefy lens too - which one is it?

Next question is I'm assuming thats for wildlife or birds - mind posting a couple of images when you've had a real play?

Ta.

Thats good to know, it can be a real pain when the move about in the breeze

Hi all.

just a heads up. 5d3 is going down in price now

http://camerapricebuster.com/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_Body_pc.html

fantastic news. If you get it from a Hong Kong dealer like Digitel Rev, you can get it for 2.2k.

Come xmas this may go down to 2.6-2.5k and thats when i will bite the bullet :)

i may even bite the bullet sooner if i decide to buy from digital rev.

This is my next camera. no if's or buts. this is THE CAMERA i have dreamed of having that past models like teh 7d and 5d2 just did not cut it for me as i wanted a camera thats a 7d+ 5d2 rollled into one for versatility and longetivity.

once i do get this camera i dont think will upgrade for 10+ years easily unless Mirrorless tech kicks off big time before then or the 5dmk10 has Eye assisted AF(done before in older slr camera's), 20fps or ISO 512000 that is as clean as the 5d3's ISO 100.

Back