Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Who has been able to get hold of a GP-E2 geotagger? Does it strictly need to be mounted on the top flash shoe or can it be suspended and latched onto the neck strap like Nikon? I would prefer the latter as I dont want the height on the camera and want to leave the top shoe available for flash.

Seems like I will have to open a new thread for this. No one has been able to respond and I cannot find my answer on any video or review of the GP-E2.

MyMemory had a deal on for the Sandisk 45mbps 16GB cards for £9.99 (Only £12.99 now though).
I always like to have a few smaller cards rahter than 1 large. Eggs in one basket and all that, so bought 2 of them.
Thinking 45 should be fast enough considering i burst only 4 maximum and no video.

The superfast, large cards are essential in massive file size cameras such as D800 or if you trust all your photos on one card and need speed.

Cannot see anything like that on their site. Whats the URL?

alitech said:
Seems like I will have to open a new thread for this. No one has been able to respond and I cannot find my answer on any video or review of the GP-E2.

I'm affraid I don't know an answer for your question. But if it HAS to be attached to a hotshoe you could use a ttl cord that also allows a flash on top of the ttl cord still on the camera. Then have the GPS on the neck strap

I'm affraid I don't know an answer for your question. But if it HAS to be attached to a hotshoe you could use a ttl cord that also allows a flash on top of the ttl cord still on the camera. Then have the GPS on the neck strap

Great idea and thanks for your input on that. Will try to find a cord that serves this purpose and doesn't look like an unsightly blob coming out of the hot shoe

Hi

My guess is this will not be what you want however if you use a smart phone GeoTag Photo rough price for Android £3.00 works very well. You just set it away with gps on the phone active match the time with the camera. A few seconds to upload the log then show geotag the folder where the images are it tags them and hey presto all done. Phone in pocket or bag no cords.

Hope that may offer help for some who would like a cheap solution that works.

Allan

Thanks for the advice re CF cards a few post back. I ordered the 60mb/s one and if I find I'm using the video much I'll order a larger one as suggested. On another note my tracking number tells me that a plane left Dubai not so long ago with a parcel destined for my house (well parents actually.) so it's getting closer. :)

Thanks for the advice re CF cards a few post back. I ordered the 60mb/s one and if I find I'm using the video much I'll order a larger one as suggested. On another note my tracking number tells me that a plane left Dubai not so long ago with a parcel destined for my house (well parents actually.) so it's getting closer. :)

Does your tracking look like this?

Dubai, United Arab Emirates 08/08/2012 6:55 P.M. Departure Scan
08/08/2012 3:27 P.M. Arrival Scan
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 08/08/2012 11:57 A.M. Departure Scan
08/08/2012 1:12 A.M. Export Scan
08/08/2012 1:10 A.M. Origin Scan
Hong Kong 08/07/2012 8:07 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Thats what mine says.

Thats what mine says.

Looks like Santa is going to be early for you 2 lol

Hi

My guess is this will not be what you want however if you use a smart phone GeoTag Photo rough price for Android £3.00 works very well. You just set it away with gps on the phone active match the time with the camera. A few seconds to upload the log then show geotag the folder where the images are it tags them and hey presto all done. Phone in pocket or bag no cords.

Hope that may offer help for some who would like a cheap solution that works.

Allan

Thanks for your input. I know of this cheap solution but I much prefer a gps tagger that imprints this information to all images on the fly. Don't want to rely on my phone for this stuff anyway. Done it and worn the t-shirt.

Thats what mine says.

That's it Ali, expected to arrive by end of day tomorrow. Much quicker than I expected.

@Allan, indeed he is looking forward to it's arrival.

Thanks for your input. I know of this cheap solution but I much prefer a gps tagger that imprints this information to all images on the fly. Don't want to rely on my phone for this stuff anyway. Done it and worn the t-shirt.

Hope when you get one you say what it is like. I used to have a Garmin GPS for walks and i found it lost signal a fair bit the phone is far better however time has moved on a fair bit. I looked at the tagger as well but like you never really fancied it on the hot shoe all the while.

The worst thing with geo tag is LR i have to bring in as Raw add geotag than in my case convert to DNG worth it for me but a pain all the same.

Allan

I'm sure you folks are on top of things but for what it's worth I checked there now with my home insurance company regarding cover for a 5D3 and it was an extra £14 to get it covered away from home and it also had to be specified as it was over £1500. Just saying in case there's a mishap and yours isn't covered, if like myself you rely on your home insurance for cover.

Delivered. Can't wait to get my paws on it.

Nice one Ali, mine came through as well although it's about 10 miles away at my parents house so will nip over later when I get a chance.

Edit: Forgot to comment as well that I really like the straw bale shot above by Mark, very nice.

Last edited:
I wanted a go at low level aircraft and seeing so many great shots from the Mach Loop I decided to try my 5D MKIII and 70 - 200 f/2.8 L MKII and 2 x EXT III for the first time yesterday.

I have never done this type of photography before so I didn't expect to have a high keeper rate, but to just enjoy the experience.

And what an experience it was. Not particularly much activity and a lot of waiting (around 6 hours) I managed these...

7751386470_246928b4d2_b.jpg

7751385986_d0e732117c_b.jpg

A pair of F15's did two passes each but they were not as low as the Typhoon and Hawk so it was a struggle with the exposure. The sun was very bright and a very hot day.

7751385546_20f8431687_b.jpg

Anyway, I enjoyed the day and learn't quite a lot from it. I know there have been hundreds if not more of these images but for a low fly newbie I'm quite happy with them.

Many thanks,

Mark.

I went to Cad West. Park in the road side carpark and there is a stile to climb over. Follow the little track to the right and then go up along a fence climb. It's quite steep when you get to the fence section and I would say quite difficult if your restricted in some way.

I went to Cad West. Park in the road side carpark and there is a stile to climb over. Follow the little track to the right and then go up along a fence climb. It's quite steep when you get to the fence section and I would say quite difficult if your restricted in some way.

Thank you. I have located it on OS maps is it up where the Quarry is looking over near the forest please.

Just want to check then i can look at climb height

Cheers

Allan

It's all crooked! Send it my way, I'll trade it for a reasonably straight nifty fifty!

I'm finding a real problem with the mark 3.

It's making me want to trade in my mark 2 for another mark 3!!!!!

A quick Question... With regards to the silent shutter option, does it make a real audible difference on your camera? I keep trying it and honestly can't hear any change in sound?!?!

hhmmm, what am i doing wrong then?

Ignore me...!!! found what I was doing wrong...:shake:

Last edited:
Back