Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Just joining in this thread because I became a Canon user yesterday when my 5DIII was delivered with the 70-200 2.8 IS II. I've also got a Sigma 85 1.4 and on the look out for a Sigma 50 1.4.

Having been a Nikon shooter for the last few years I'm on a massive learning curve and I'm sure a lot of that learning will come from here.

Anyone using the 5d3 with the yongnuo 565 flashgun? I'm thinking of getting it instead of the 580ex ii.. is it just HSS and an extra bit of horizontal swivel that the 580ex ii has an advantage over the YN565? :shrug: :thinking:

Anyone using the 5d3 with the yongnuo 565 flashgun? I'm thinking of getting it instead of the 580ex ii.. is it just HSS and an extra bit of horizontal swivel that the 580ex ii has an advantage over the YN565? :shrug: :thinking:

I was going to buy one of these too, wait to hear anyones reply ED

Saying that I'm sure I read someone had a problem with theres over heating.

Last edited:
As mentioned a few posts up, I took delivery of a 5D3 on Monday and have had a play with it for the last couple of nights. One thing I am struggling with is moving the AF point in the view finder. A friend who also has a 5D3 says he can move his purely by half pressing the shutter to start the AF then moving the joystick to select one of the 61 AF points. However on mine I can only move the AF point after pressing the AF button that is top right on the back of the body to the right of the * button.

Is there an option in the menu that I need to enable or am I doing something wrong? Or is my mate misinforming me and you do have to press the button before moving the AF point?

As mentioned a few posts up, I took delivery of a 5D3 on Monday and have had a play with it for the last couple of nights. One thing I am struggling with is moving the AF point in the view finder. A friend who also has a 5D3 says he can move his purely by half pressing the shutter to start the AF then moving the joystick to select one of the 61 AF points. However on mine I can only move the AF point after pressing the AF button that is top right on the back of the body to the right of the * button.

Is there an option in the menu that I need to enable or am I doing something wrong? Or is my mate misinforming me and you do have to press the button before moving the AF point?

Yes, you need to go in to Custom controls (you can get to this via the Q screen), scroll down to the bottom right icon, (the joy stick) and set it to AF point direct selection.
By pressing the joy stick in you can also set the centre AF point, without the need to press anything else. Quite handy.
FYI if you have the camera in the portrait position you can set a different AF point, so one for each orientation (im sure you know this already though).

Im in two minds about this direct selection method. Its a quick way of changing the AF point, but having to engage the AF first seems a bit of a waste of battery power, unless you are ready to take the shot. I do use it but sometimes prefer to press the AF button first, especially if im just lining a shot up.

No problem, ive been where you are now and know how hard it can be to take it all in in one go.
I know a lot of people use the DOF to switch temporarily to AI Servo (and the other way when in AI Servo), thats really handy but it took me a while to find the custom settings that suited me.

i've read through most of this thread and i'm seriously considering selling all my nikon gear and getting a 5d3 (one to begin then another soon to follow, can borrow a friend's mk2 as a back up on the day) with a 24 / 35 / 85 and 135 prime collection for weddings and the like...Canon primes seem slightly cheaper than their nikon equivalents, am i right?

I figure if i sell my d700, d90, d40, 24 1.4, 14-24, 70-200, 50 1.8 and 85 1.4 i should easily be able to afford a new mk3 and an array of second hand lenses. It'll be a bit of a hassle and probably take a fair few weeks to complete but i honestly feel that the canon makes sense as a wedding camera whereas the d800 doesn't plus i'm worried about focus issues with the d800.

My d700 is great, but i feel i will benefit a lot from the extra megapixels and the improved af (esp more x-hair type sensors as i much prefer using them at wide apertures especially). I aslo feel that the quiet shutter of the 5d3 compared to the nikons is a big plus as i've had moody vicars in the past and felt quite self conscious about my shutter sound..

i'm not looking for anyone to talk me into it or out of it...i feel that i probably want to do it but not sure if i'll get it together. May wait until after xmas, may not. More interested to hear from people who've made a similar move really...

By the way, I love my nikon 24 1.4...is the canon version as good?

If you do decide, maybe sell before xmas to get more value, and buy your canon gear after xmas, so prices should have dropped :) So that's from a few weeks to complete to a month or so... as long as you don't have wedding in between, you're safe :)

I had a guest using a 5d3 at a ceremony (with a 70-200 2.8 may i add), with the focus beep on, and shutter on normal... so bloomin distracting for me too! Especially standing next to me... I have my beep off, and had silent shutter, and feel like a ninja! I love it!

If you do decide, maybe sell before xmas to get more value, and buy your canon gear after xmas, so prices should have dropped :) So that's from a few weeks to complete to a month or so... as long as you don't have wedding in between, you're safe :)

I had a guest using a 5d3 at a ceremony (with a 70-200 2.8 may i add), with the focus beep on, and shutter on normal... so bloomin distracting for me too! Especially standing next to me... I have my beep off, and had silent shutter, and feel like a ninja! I love it!

good thinking - though i'll really want a camera at xmas so i might just buy the mk3 and a 35 1.4L from panamoz, then start selling my nikon gear - then accumulate canon gear second hand in time for spring weddings..

Got my mark III from Panamoz! Absolutely delighted :) Can't believe how great the ISO performance is, so handy when a lot of the stuff I shoot is in poor light

lol omg.. who's gonna choose to buy that over the 2.8?!

Me :) Cheaper, smaller and lighter, and macro (well, closer than any of my other lenses).
Not that im going to but i can definitely see advantages to owning the new lens and i would prefer it over the 24-105L.

I am planning on getting the new 35 f/2 IS after Christmas.

Ive got a 7Day shop battery for my 5DMKIII but ive found it to be rubbish. It works, and battery life is probably around the same as the Canon one but im getting all manner of different, false, battery info from my cameras. Most fo the time it just shows 100% full, even after a few 100 shots. It might then drop down to the real % but later in the day jump back to 100% Not really reliable, and the charger seems to keep blinking fast even when its fully charged.
Its just a spare that i dont think ill ever have to rely on so im not too bothered but as its advertised as chipped (IIR) i am disappointed with it.

Me :) Cheaper, smaller and lighter, and macro (well, closer than any of my other lenses).

Ahh ok then :) Didn't really think of it that way, it was my first reaction - typing out loud!

I just took delivery of my batteries, like you, they are spares, will need them for my trip to Lapland. I've two of them, and the serial numbers are the same, so I can't register them both on the camera :wacky: Forgot to try charging them, will try later :bonk:

I know there is a lot of heated debate about this new 24-70, it doesn't seem to make sense to those who already have the 24-105 or 24-70 f/2.8 but for those getting the 6D (for example) i think they are getting a better lens than the 24-105. The IS is better and the much closer focusing distance seem to be good improvements over the old lens. If IQ is also an improvement i dont see whats not to like, other than the cost of course.

Yes, you need to go in to Custom controls (you can get to this via the Q screen), scroll down to the bottom right icon, (the joy stick) and set it to AF point direct selection.
By pressing the joy stick in you can also set the centre AF point, without the need to press anything else. Quite handy.
FYI if you have the camera in the portrait position you can set a different AF point, so one for each orientation (im sure you know this already though).

I found this very interesting when it came to custom settings etc.

http://www.atrero.com/articles/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-af-settings/

Cheers for mentioning the custom settings guys, I'd never really bothered changing much before but I've just completely changed my set up. That's a great link, cheers for posting.

I now have my DOF preview button switching to AI Servo when pressed and held in (which I can see being extremely handy), the above mentioned joy stick switching to centre point AF, and also my Set button combined with the main dial to quickly change ISO too, all of which can be done without the need to take the camera away from my eye to look at while I press buttons which is what I have been doing!

Brilliant.

Those three things alone should now allow for much much quicker alterations to settings - great stuff!

I dont know if anyone has seen the thread on POTN about a 5DMKIII brought from Digital Rev. Its got an issue and the guy has tried to get it fixed under DR's local repair warranty, only to find Canon UK wont touch it, as they say its not a legit serial number.
The outcome seems to be, based on that that users experience, is that if anything goes wrong with this camera, now or in the future, it has to go back to HK for repair.

Anyone like to comment on this? Has anyone gone through the same?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1242404

I dont know if anyone has seen the thread on POTN about a 5DMKIII brought from Digital Rev. Its got an issue and the guy has tried to get it fixed under DR's local repair warranty, only to find Canon UK wont touch it, as they say its not a legit serial number.
The outcome seems to be, based on that that users experience, is that if anything goes wrong with this camera, now or in the future, it has to go back to HK for repair.

Anyone like to comment on this? Has anyone gone through the same?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1242404

jesus! i just bought mine from DR! i imagine loads of us did

i bet canon uk would do the work if its payed for ,there just saying the warranty is not valid in the uk which is not really a surprise .

niko said:
i bet canon uk would do the work if its payed for ,there just saying the warranty is not valid in the uk which is not really a surprise .

Read the thread. The op told them he would pay it.

Read the thread. The op told them he would pay it.
where does it say that ?
canon uk reply stated "Therefore, I am very sorry to say that we cannot accept your warranty claim in respect of this product."

that sounds to me like it was an attempted warranty claim

Back