Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Spot meter it, or take an incident with separate meter. Take a quick shot and check histogram ...if you are concerned, learn how to set the bracket function and set it prior to that specific shot.

I don't know whether I should keep my 2x 5D Mark II's or sell one and upgrade to a 5D Mark III, I'm away on a shoot next week, wondering if I should put it on my credit card before I go away... or just wait...

Whats that then? i've heard of people doing that but never experienced it myself lol

to be honest... I have never seemed to have found "wait" on everything, its always now or never.. still dont know if I should buy it on the card and do my shoots sell one of the 5d Mark II's and pay it off in a month or so...

I think if you really need the AF and are finding the Mk2 lacking and are missing shots because of it you'd be better off with the Mk3.

I think if you really need the AF and are finding the Mk2 lacking and are missing shots because of it you'd be better off with the Mk3.

I do miss shots when doing fast subjects, most of my work is travel and hotel stuff, so not that much needed but it will help.

tempted to do it while cashback on.

To give you some background as a learner 4 years ago I jumped straight from auto to manual mode so have never even turned my camera to any of the 'priority' modes. As a wedding photographer shooting in manual has always been fine, but can be a bit hit and miss with frequently changing light conditions and quick moments where you don't have time to adjust settings.
For the first time this weekend just gone I tried a wedding in AV mode and I won't lie... I'm not going back. The bracketting on the mkiii is superb and acts exactly as you'd want it to.

Jen and Simon Banks-6924-Edit-4-Edit by patrickdonnelly.co.uk, on Flickr

Jen and Simon Banks-6670-Edit by patrickdonnelly.co.uk, on Flickr

Jen and Simon Banks-6456 by patrickdonnelly.co.uk, on Flickr

Jen and Simon Banks-7418-Edit-Edit by patrickdonnelly.co.uk, on Flickr

I always find it odd when its said I only use this mode/or that mode ,they all have there uses .just some get used more than others
there seems to be a strange attitude that good togs only use manual:thinking:

not at all, but once you've learned manual it's difficult to give up that control you have over every setting. But the mkiii's bracketing allows you to have that control back.

edz I will be shooting all of my weddings mostly in Av mode now, the biggest thing is being able to trust the camera with the exposure allows me to concentrate on the composition and framing a hell of a lot more.

Glad I did it that way round though as learning full manual first means that if I want something different from my shot I know exactly how to achieve it.

not at all, but once you've learned manual it's difficult to give up that control you have over every setting. But the mkiii's bracketing allows you to have that control back.

edz I will be shooting all of my weddings mostly in Av mode now, the biggest thing is being able to trust the camera with the exposure allows me to concentrate on the composition and framing a hell of a lot more.

Glad I did it that way round though as learning full manual first means that if I want something different from my shot I know exactly how to achieve it.

Same here... I was always a full manual kind of guy but since buying the 5D MK III and being able to set a min shutter speed I've gone to AV for most of my shots now. I also use Auto ISO for anything where I don't have a flash attached.

I think as long as you know why and how to use AV and the like it's perfectly fine... becoming competant in manual before switching is the best way to do things IMO as if it's not doing what you want being able to switch to manual will always save the day.

I still use full manual and manual flash for the B&G pics though

I guess because I come from a 120 and 35mm background I was used to manual only and some of the semi auto modes make life so much easier(with a reliable camera). I like both depending on situation

To give you some background as a learner 4 years ago I jumped straight from auto to manual mode so have never even turned my camera to any of the 'priority' modes. As a wedding photographer shooting in manual has always been fine, but can be a bit hit and miss with frequently changing light conditions and quick moments where you don't have time to adjust settings.
For the first time this weekend just gone I tried a wedding in AV mode and I won't lie... I'm not going back. The bracketting on the mkiii is superb and acts exactly as you'd want it to.

Jen and Simon Banks-6924-Edit-4-Edit by patrickdonnelly.co.uk, on Flickr

Jen and Simon Banks-6670-Edit by patrickdonnelly.co.uk, on Flickr

Jen and Simon Banks-6456 by patrickdonnelly.co.uk, on Flickr

Jen and Simon Banks-7418-Edit-Edit by patrickdonnelly.co.uk, on Flickr

Nice shots... are you looking for any feedback / critique or should I leave it there? :)

Quick question,

Bracketing, I never use it so, + or - how much? 2/3, 1, or more?

Go for it. I've done a few adjustments since (like the first one I've taken the black darker again so it's more similar to the other B&W) but by all means go for it.

Ok will do :)

1st I think is a nice shot but too contrasty... there's no speration between the groom and the wall as they are both completely black with all detail lost... ideally being able to see at least the outline of his body would make it less a big black space with no detail. Also the bride's back looks a little HDR almost and patchy due to the dark areas being too dark

2nd shot again is really nice but the portrait orientation and her naturally long face don't work all that well as it makes her face look even longer. Landscape orientation works much better in this type of situation

3rd shot is set up really nice but the focus I think needed to be on the detail in the front of the shoe... it doesn't appear to be so looks a little soft

4th is a lovely moment captured... I think the contrast is again too high and the bride's face is too bright in comparison to everything else as a result.

All lovely shots but I would just tweak things a little. No harm in having high contrast images... in fact I LOVE high contrast B&W images, but you need to balance everything out so that although it's high contrast there is still some detail left and no areas are too bright or dark.

ordered myself from one John Lewis, pick it up tomorrow.

now got to sell one of my 5D Mark II's... and a few other bits like 17-40 and 16-35... but go aware on shoot to Turkey on Tuesday.

My 5D III arrived today, haven't been out due to the pouring rain, so have been testing the low light capabilities. I must say I'm very impressed. I bought the kit with the 24-105mm L from Jessops, great service! A wonderful upgrade from a tired 40D.

For the wedding togs here which quick ish way do you meter for Highlights for dresses etc?

Manual mode, Test shot, check histogram, turn on blinkies

If shooting in differently changing light sources register the separate settings to each of the C1, C2, C3 on the dial for easy fast switching i.e inside church, outside sun, outside shade

Also shoot RAW for any post tweaks

Well folks I have to say that so far I am thrilled with HDEW Cameras. :clap:

Having sold my 5D MKII and my almost new yet hardly ever used Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L lens I managed to finance the purchase of the 5D MKIII almost entirely from those proceeds and HDEW's price was unbeatable. So I ordered it on Tuesday and collected it on Thursday (yesterday). Am like a kid with a new toy. Have not really played with it yet other than to turn it on and see that it powered up. I did the firmware update to version 1.2.1 and am now busily reading the manual to get to grips with the focussing system as it seems totally bewildering compared to the 5D MKII and even my 7D is more straightforward.

It is a sleeker model than the 5D MKII though with the rounded bottom edges, the memory card door is much more solid feeling, in fact the whole camera has a more robust feel to it than the MKII which was already a robust feeling machine. So my impending trip to Australia will be a great chance to really put the new monster through it's paces.

I might even post some images if I manage to take any that are worthy of this forum. I may not manage that but it will not be down to the camera rather the operator!

looks like HDEW is a pretty good price.
though its down in surrey? and I needed it for next Tuesday, would be unsure if delivered in time before flying out.

I just got it from John Lewis, picking it up now as got the email.

will put in cashback claim for 5d Mark III & 16-35mm

looking forward to using it against my 2nd 5d Mark II.

Ok will do :)

1st I think is a nice shot but too contrasty... there's no speration between the groom and the wall as they are both completely black with all detail lost... ideally being able to see at least the outline of his body would make it less a big black space with no detail. Also the bride's back looks a little HDR almost and patchy due to the dark areas being too dark

2nd shot again is really nice but the portrait orientation and her naturally long face don't work all that well as it makes her face look even longer. Landscape orientation works much better in this type of situation

3rd shot is set up really nice but the focus I think needed to be on the detail in the front of the shoe... it doesn't appear to be so looks a little soft

4th is a lovely moment captured... I think the contrast is again too high and the bride's face is too bright in comparison to everything else as a result.

All lovely shots but I would just tweak things a little. No harm in having high contrast images... in fact I LOVE high contrast B&W images, but you need to balance everything out so that although it's high contrast there is still some detail left and no areas are too bright or dark.

Thanks for the critique Andy.

I agree with most of your points to be fair. The first essentially fades to black on the left due to the complete mess of a church notice board on the left hand side. I might try and recover some rim from it though to give an element of seperation.

The second I know what you mean and I had taken a lot in landscape (I generally shoot all portraits in landscape) but due to the bombsite of a room that had occured with 7 women getting ready, I had to go tight. Time constraints caused by the bride snapping her dress zip meant that I had to shoot and run on that one.

That 3rd one the detail on the shoe is the focus, not particularly visible on the size it is but don't worry it is on the larger shot.

4th I tried toning her face down but it just looked more wrong than having it the way it is. Taken on board though and I will have a look at what I can do.

Thanks for the critique though :D

In the face of turning 40 at the end of this month, and wanting an upgrade to a full frame body, I took the plunge and ordered a mk3 on Tuesday from HDEW:D Justified by a pending mid life crisis. I haven't told SWMBO yet :eek: if I survive, I just need to learn how to take good pictures:LOL:

I was a bad boy yesterday.....:naughty:

Ever since I got my 5Diii nine months ago, I've grown to despise my 7D. It sits, unloved, attached to a 300 F2.8 and it never gets used because I hate the comparison. If I do pick it up, I sometimes wish I'd never pressed the shutter because every shot is a let-down unless the lighting is perfect and the ISO is at 100.

So, I'm about to take delivery of my 2nd (spare) 5Diii and the 7D will be junked. :D

I was a bad boy yesterday.....:naughty:

Ever since I got my 5Diii nine months ago, I've grown to despise my 7D. It sits, unloved, attached to a 300 F2.8 and it never gets used because I hate the comparison. If I do pick it up, I sometimes wish I'd never pressed the shutter because every shot is a let-down unless the lighting is perfect and the ISO is at 100.

So, I'm about to take delivery of my 2nd (spare) 5Diii and the 7D will be junked. :D

Felt the same way when I got my 5d mkii ISO performance is pants unfortantly got to the point were I couldn't use it anymore because the 5d mk ii ISO was so much better so I sold it still miss the focusing system though maybe in the future I will get a mk iii :)

just picked up the 5D Mark III - not tested it yet, but feels nice :)

I never bought a screen protector for my 5D Mark II, but it suffered with scratches, can anyone recommenced one for the 5D Mark III??

I need it asap!

What sort of "protective" accessories do people recommend for a new 5D3? LCD screen protectors and camera body? Was thinking of getting a rubber casing but a guy at Fixation advised me against it as he said dust gathers under it and that can cause as much trouble as anything. He suggested lining the edges of the body with black electrical insulation tape! Any thoughts?
Cheers

What sort of "protective" accessories do people recommend for a new 5D3? LCD screen protectors and camera body? Was thinking of getting a rubber casing but a guy at Fixation advised me against it as he said dust gathers under it and that can cause as much trouble as anything. He suggested lining the edges of the body with black electrical insulation tape! Any thoughts?
Cheers

Where did you tell him you were going ?

Back