Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

OOPS, posted in the wrong thread and do not know how to delete a post!

Last edited:
HDEW = £1939 + £9.99 (delivery) - £6 (4GB card)
Camera World = £2335 - £160 - £64 (Free LP-E6 battery)

So about £168 in it.. Is a UK sourced camera worth more 2nd hand? I went with Camera World as they're a 10 min walk from my house, and Sheilas' Wheels were picking up the bill anyway :)

hi

not a plug, but HDEW for me all the way

i have saved myself at least 1000 pound on the items i have had from them

alan

I bought the 5D MK III from them and last week ordered a 6D from them. Was very impressed with the whole service.

Only thing is that my MK III developed a weird fault mid wedding and I haven't sent it to Canon yet for repair... so it'll be interesting to see how this goes should I need it. The fault corrected itself when I removed the battery and put it back in, and I've shot about 800 pics with it since with no issues, so I might not need to send it back. We shall see though.

One thing I really liked about HDEW was that they didn't have the MK III listed on the site, so I range the UK number, spoke to someone really helpful who said they didn't have it listed as they didn't have it in stock, but a new batch were coming in 2 days later. I checked the site 2 days later and just as they promised it was listed.

Nice to be able to speak to someone UK based and that they didn't list stuff on the site they didn't have in stock (y)

Oh and also when I ordered the 6D I asked what would happen if I wasn't in when it was delivered... they said it would be sent to the courier's depot. I said ahh ok that's a shame as if it was sent via royal mail I pass the sorting office on my way to work.

Their response?

No problem we'll send it via Royal Mail instead

Is a UK sourced camera worth more 2nd hand?

I can't see why it should be once it's 12 months old.

A grey import would have the same status in terms of warranty and, as long as it came with UK spec manuals and leads, there would be no difference.

Just updated my firmware and the first thing I did was slap a 2xIII on the camera to see what happened.

Autofocus is generally good, but as far as I'm aware, it's centre point AF only. Not a problem for me because that's what I always use.

I'm noticing a lot more hunting and failed focus when pointing at trees which isn't ideal when your looking at birds. That said, 1000mm hand held on AIservo isn't very fair on the camera I suppose!:bonk:

hmm, no 400 f5.6 for the 2x converter.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS5DM3_firmware/

f88888.jpg

Last edited:
I am just about to do the upgrade, but I notice that in the release notes raw compatibility is affected with cameras using an older version of the firmware. I am running Lightroom 4.1 as this is the last version which works with Photoshop CS5 seamlessly, anybody know if RAW files still work in older versions of Camera Raw and Lightroom?

I am just about to do the upgrade, but I notice that in the release notes raw compatibility is affected with cameras using an older version of the firmware. I am running Lightroom 4.1 as this is the last version which works with Photoshop CS5 seamlessly, anybody know if RAW files still work in older versions of Camera Raw and Lightroom?
Why you still running 4.1?? Latest is 4.4...

Because 4.4 doesn't work seamlessly with Photoshop CS5... It makes duplicate tiffs everywhere... The changes in 4.4 are not important enough to make me want to either put up with the pain of manually importing or to upgrade my version of Photoshop.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ah ok! I see what you mean now and you are quite correct.;)

However, I wonder if it is possible to 'autofocus' on live-view with a native F5.6 and a 2x though, as I could do that with an F4+2x before the firmware update.:shrug:

I'm lucky enough not to own any lenses smaller than native F4 so I can't test it.:D

Edit: Just remembered, I do have an F5.6 (100-400mm which is really SWMBO's lens). I can now confirm that it WILL autofocus in live-view mode at F11.

Last edited:
Ah ok! I see what you mean now and you are quite correct.;)

However, I wonder if it is possible to 'autofocus' on live-view with a native F5.6 and a 2x though, as I could do that with an F4+2x before the firmware update.:shrug:

I'm lucky enough not to own any lenses smaller than native F4 so I can't test it.:D

Edit: Just remembered, I do have an F5.6 (100-400mm which is really SWMBO's lens). I can now confirm that it WILL autofocus in live-view mode at F11.

Well that's interesting to know. Would love the 500 you have got but want a 1DX first. Any reason you went for the 500 over the 400 f2.8?

Would love the 500 you have got but want a 1DX first. Any reason you went for the 500 over the 400 f2.8?

First thing I'd suggest is that the lens is WAY more important that the body. Some of my best shots were taken with a basic 550D and the 300F2.8.

I only really photograph wild birds and the 500mm is generally regarded as the tool of choice for this. It's almost permanantly attached to the 1.4xIII, or at least it was until today. The firmware update may have changed things.;)

It was a close-run thing at the time and if I'd got the 400 I'm sure I'd always have been kicking myself when a bird was just too far away. Even at 700mm, I'm usually cropping quite a bit.

I'd love to add-in the latest 400F2.8II to my colection, but I reckon that's just being greedy. I know it's probably the best lens that Canon do, but I wouldn't swap my 500 for it.:cool:

Just had a look at the pics. Really good. Really like the robin shot and its amazing you can see that green woodpecker from so far away. How is the mk3 2x extender compared to the mk2?

Thank-you. These shots were all at about 8pm this evening so the light wasn't the greatest. I'm really pleased with how this F8 Autofocus is working. I had the 2xII before and it's not something I miss. However, I understand that the 2xIII is only worth getting if you have the newer 300, 400 or 500 IS II lenses.

First thing I'd suggest is that the lens is WAY more important that the body. Some of my best shots were taken with a basic 550D and the 300F2.8.

I only really photograph wild birds and the 500mm is generally regarded as the tool of choice for this. It's almost permanantly attached to the 1.4xIII, or at least it was until today. The firmware update may have changed things.;)

It was a close-run thing at the time and if I'd got the 400 I'm sure I'd always have been kicking myself when a bird was just too far away. Even at 700mm, I'm usually cropping quite a bit.

I'd love to add-in the latest 400F2.8II to my colection, but I reckon that's just being greedy. I know it's probably the best lens that Canon do, but I wouldn't swap my 500 for it.:cool:

Thank-you. These shots were all at about 8pm this evening so the light wasn't the greatest. I'm really pleased with how this F8 Autofocus is working. I had the 2xII before and it's not something I miss. However, I understand that the 2xIII is only worth getting if you have the newer 300, 400 or 500 IS II lenses.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have the mk2 2x but only have the f2.8 70-200 IS mk2 to use it with as it won't work with my 400 f5.6. Had some nice shots with that combo. Been looking at the 500 for a while now.
Need the body first though as I have just sold my 1D3 and need a second body to my 5D3 for my events stuff. I will get there eventually :)
One again, cheers for the info. Really appreciate it.

Because 4.4 doesn't work seamlessly with Photoshop CS5... It makes duplicate tiffs everywhere... The changes in 4.4 are not important enough to make me want to either put up with the pain of manually importing or to upgrade my version of Photoshop.

I run Lightroom 4.4 and photoshopcs5 without any issues. Did you tick the box saying let Lightroom convert anyway? Do you use dng, tiff? I just use psd

You can get AF at what is F11 i.e 500f4 +1.4tc +2xtc as the camera only see's the 1.4tc yet you are at f11 regarding how much light is getting through .
Rob.

You can't generally stack the Canon TC's. IIRC, you need the 2xII to stack them. The 2xIII won't do it. Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to, other than for a bit of fun. Imagine a 7D crop sensor with a 1.4x & 2x stacked on the 500mmF4. That would be like 2240mm on a 5Diii but the IQ would be fairly poor I guess. Max aperture would effectively be F11 too.

When it comes to live view autofocus at <F8, here's a tip..... Depress the shutter half way and watch the LCD for a green focus confirmation square. It takes a bit longer to autofocus than normal TTL. Now once you have a focus, press the magnifier button and you will get a 5x magnification and you can depress the shutter half way again for improved focus. Repeat this again for 10x magnification/focus. Once you have a green square, that's as good as you will get - press the shutter fully. Note that a tripod is almost a 'must' for this.;)

Don't fully understand the f8 thing so need to do some research.

OK So have sold my 5D MKII and am actively looking for the best deal on the 5D MKIII, I have lodged a price match request with John Lewis to match CameraWorld price. I will let you know how I get on.

I might see if they will match HDEW price as well, but they do say they only match high street shops not online only stores. HDEW does have a shop address though I think.

OK So have sold my 5D MKII and am actively looking for the best deal on the 5D MKIII, I have lodged a price match request with John Lewis to match CameraWorld price. I will let you know how I get on.

I might see if they will match HDEW price as well, but they do say they only match high street shops not online only stores. HDEW does have a shop address though I think.

Yes Dominic.
It specifically says in their small print that it doesn't apply to any online-only shops,prices lowered through administration or haggling etc. etc...

Has anyone used the silent shutter mode on the camera yet? I used it to great effect the other night shooting a local theatre production and wondered if there are any draw backs to just leaving it on permanently? i.e. write speeds, battery drain etc etc

Yep I have. I was in the British museum a few weeks ago and was wandering around snapping away. It's virtually inaudible with the noise of foot traffic and whispering :)

Ha, I just had a nose at my flickr and it seems I haven't uploaded any photos from that, other than the Black Books shop that I found on my travels :D

Last edited:
Back