Canon 5Ds & 5Dr

Why do people think the mk4 is around the corner when the mk3 has only been out 2 years? It was 6 years between the mk2 and 3! Or have I missed something?

Wasn't it was 3 years between Mk2 and Mk3? The Mk3 was announced in March 2012 so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a Mk4 to come soon-ish. Of course if Mk3 is still selling well and with the 5DS coming, who knows though.

I hope they make some sort of announcement by the end of the year as I have a Mk2 and would like to upgrade to either 5DSR or 5D4 depending on specs and pricing at some point next year.

We aren't even hearing credible rumors about mark 4 capability.
I think we'll get 6 months of rumors, an announcement, then a long painful wait before it is actually available.
Also - the Mk2 and Mk3 took first UK customer deliveries just before Christmas; seems like a pattern.

If we don't start getting credible rumors soon, then absolutely no chance this year.
For those waiting - it could be a long wait.
Just my 2p..

I've not really understood the calls for a mark 4, the r and s are so close I would have thought any improvements on the mark 3 will hurt sales of those.

Wasn't it was 3 years between Mk2 and Mk3? The Mk3 was announced in March 2012 so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a Mk4 to come soon-ish. Of course if Mk3 is still selling well and with the 5DS coming, who knows though.

I hope they make some sort of announcement by the end of the year as I have a Mk2 and would like to upgrade to either 5DSR or 5D4 depending on specs and pricing at some point next year.
The 5d mk2 was in 2008, so i correct, 4 years...

It annoys me when people put stuff on hold for a non existent new model (especially one not announced yet). When the mk4 finally releases, will we get people buying happily for a year, then worry about not rumoured or announced mk5??

Last edited:
Rumour has it that the Mark IV might be delayed as Canon thinks the Mark III is still selling well. Super annoying as I don't want to invest in a Mark III knowing that the Mark IV is just around the corner

Why not? the mkiii is more than capable. the new one most likely will not have anything the pros actually wanted anyway. I think the Mkiii was received the same way when the Mkii was in its prime.

Buy a mkiii, love it and use it..then in a couple of years when the mkv has been out a while and dropped in price, make a decision if you need whatever new trickery the mkv is worth it.

Personally i love my mkiii, but its the last canon I will ever buy. Not because they aren't great tools though. Cameras like the Sony A7R offer so much more for a hell of a lot less money and weight..and will an A7R mkii on the way with a rumoured 50+mp sensor and improved AF, that for me will be the death of Canon.

It annoys me when people put stuff on hold for a non existent new model (especially one not announced yet).

Totally agree. I've seen posts from people saying they're holding off from buying the 35L, for example, on a regular basis for about the past 3-4 years... everyone keeps thinking the 35L II has to be just around the corner, but you never know really! Life is too short to keep second guessing yourself. If photography is your job, then you need the best you can afford right now... and if it's a hobby and you have the money, why not just spoil yourself! :D I love my 5D3 and I don't care when a 5D4 will appear, because in the meantime I have used and will continue to use this body extensively - and when the 5D4 does appear, my 5D3 will continue to be a wonderful camera. The only things that could tempt me to upgrade would be the return of interchangeable focus screens and dual CF and I'm not sure either of those would justify the extra outlay to be honest.

I'm in no rush to move on from my mk2 - either for the price to drop on the DS/DSR, for the mk4 to arrive and be a better proposition, or lastly for the price of the mk3 to come down as it reaches the end of the line. At this point I'm not sure whether a mk3 might be all I need.

Why not? the mkiii is more than capable. the new one most likely will not have anything the pros actually wanted anyway. I think the Mkiii was received the same way when the Mkii was in its prime.

Buy a mkiii, love it and use it..then in a couple of years when the mkv has been out a while and dropped in price, make a decision if you need whatever new trickery the mkv is worth it.

Personally i love my mkiii, but its the last canon I will ever buy. Not because they aren't great tools though. Cameras like the Sony A7R offer so much more for a hell of a lot less money and weight..and will an A7R mkii on the way with a rumoured 50+mp sensor and improved AF, that for me will be the death of Canon.[/QUOT
The
I'm in no rush to move on from my mk2 - either for the price to drop on the DS/DSR, for the mk4 to arrive and be a better proposition, or lastly for the price of the mk3 to come down as it reaches the end of the line. At this point I'm not sure whether a mk3 might be all I need.
The only thing though is that I do video aswell and really like the idea of 4k on the mark iv. It's so tempting to move to a GH4 or a7S but I love the dslr form factor for photography and the EF lenses

It annoys me when people put stuff on hold for a non existent new model (especially one not announced yet). When the mk4 finally releases, will we get people buying happily for a year, then worry about not rumoured or announced mk5??

Totally agree. I've seen posts from people saying they're holding off from buying the 35L, for example, on a regular basis for about the past 3-4 years... everyone keeps thinking the 35L II has to be just around the corner, but you never know really! Life is too short to keep second guessing yourself. If photography is your job, then you need the best you can afford right now... and if it's a hobby and you have the money, why not just spoil yourself! :D

Personally, I am not "holding off" buying anything. I'm happy with my 5D2 at the moment, but as a hobby photographer without the funds to to pre-order a 5DSR, I am curious as to what the specs and pricing of the Mk4 will be. I'd like to upgrade next year before a planned trip, so if the price drops on the 5DSR by then, that may be an option - or if I prefer the spec of the Mk4 I might be tempted by that.

Can't speak for odd jim, but I certainly didn't mean my post to be directed at you personally sarahhj, apologies if it sounded like that! I was merely musing on the subject of how people structure their upgrades generally :) Hobby photographers definitely have more leeway than working pros as if you're not relying on your gear for paid work, it's much easier to procrastinate and make do - especially when you already have highly capable gear, like your 5D2 :) Whilst the 5D3's AF is much improved over the 5D2 and there are a few other nice tweaks, I doubt many people could tell the difference between 5D2 and 5D3 shots side by side. I have taken identical photos with my 5D3 and original 5D and it's really difficult to tell which is which in an unmarked test, with both photos sized identically. Slight colour differences, not much else! If you don't need the low light ability and better AF, it obviously doesn't make much sense for you to jump on a 5D3, but I can see how a new generation 5D4 body might be tempting depending on the specs!

Can't speak for odd jim, but I certainly didn't mean my post to be directed at you personally sarahhj, apologies if it sounded like that! I was merely musing...<snipped>

No problem Harry :). I like to dabble in nightscape (star trails, milky way etc) when in suitable dark sky locations and the Mk3 and 6D noise performance is a nice improvement on the 5D2 when shooting at say 3200/6400 for those. I'm not sure the 5DSR will be very good for me in this respect, from the initial reviews.

Can't speak for odd jim, but I certainly didn't mean my post to be directed at you personally sarahhj, apologies if it sounded like that! I was merely musing on the subject of how people structure their upgrades generally :) Hobby photographers definitely have more leeway than working pros as if you're not relying on your gear for paid work, it's much easier to procrastinate and make do - especially when you already have highly capable gear, like your 5D2 :) Whilst the 5D3's AF is much improved over the 5D2 and there are a few other nice tweaks, I doubt many people could tell the difference between 5D2 and 5D3 shots side by side. I have taken identical photos with my 5D3 and original 5D and it's really difficult to tell which is which in an unmarked test, with both photos sized identically. Slight colour differences, not much else! If you don't need the low light ability and better AF, it obviously doesn't make much sense for you to jump on a 5D3, but I can see how a new generation 5D4 body might be tempting depending on the specs!
Nope, my comments weren't directed at any poster In particular either, it was just a general comment as this is so commonplace these days. We are so obsessed with "but there's a new one that might be better" ("might" as not all successors are as good as their predecessors) we sometimes forget it's about the photos, not the kit.

Just buy what feels right at the time and who cares what's around the corner (even if it is a long way off).

Last edited:
If you like the dslr format then stick a grip on the a7r as I plan to. Honestly after using one I see no reason to stay canon. The minute the mk2 a7r is announced all my canon gear will be on eBay lol. The current a7r only downfall is the slow af and that will be fixed in the mk2.

If you like the dslr format then stick a grip on the a7r as I plan to. Honestly after using one I see no reason to stay canon. The minute the mk2 a7r is announced all my canon gear will be on eBay lol. The current a7r only downfall is the slow af and that will be fixed in the mk2.
Don't forget how superior manual focusing is on the a7 series compared to any dslr. The evf is a godsend

Don't forget how superior manual focusing is on the a7 series compared to any dslr. The evf is a godsend
But you can do this on a dslr with live view.

It's the only way I can focus my 14mm :)

CSCs have far superior manual focus aids to DSLRs.
Such as (I honestly don't know about MF assist in CSCs!). All I need for accurate MF (I only use MF for macro and when focusing with UWAs on full frame) is the ability to zoom and see fine focus large on the screen.

Last edited:
Such as (I honestly don't know about CSCs!). All I need for accurate MF (I only use MF for macro and when focusing with UWAs on full frame) is the ability to zoom and see fine focus large in the screen.

Live exposure in the viewfinder/LCD, focus magnification in viewfinder/LCD, Focus Peaking in viewfinder/LCD and digital split image focusing in viewfinder/LCD.

Live exposure in the viewfinder/LCD, focus magnification in viewfinder/LCD, Focus Peaking in viewfinder/LCD and digital split image focusing in viewfinder/LCD.
My DSLRs have both live exposure and focus magnification via live view? Of course, this isn't through the VF. I'm not sure what focus peaking is or split image focusing is but I'm beginning to feel the advantages of CSC over DSLRs re MF isn't really as advantageous as some make out?

My DSLRs have both live exposure and focus magnification via live view? Of course, this isn't through the VF. I'm not sure what focus peaking is or split image focusing is but I'm beginning to feel the advantages of CSC over DSLRs re MF isn't really as advantageous as some make out?

Via live view only. Nope, its definitely better.

Via live view only. Nope, its definitely better.
Through Live View yes, as I said.

Better yes, but only due to being able to see it in the VF (giving you a "larger" view of the image). DSLRs still do exactly what the CSCs do. With the added advantage of having the OVF too.

But as rear screens are so good, and very clear these days I'd say it's not *much* of an advantage?

Last edited:
Through Live View yes, as I said.

Better yes, but only due to being able to see it in the VF (giving you a "larger" view of the image). DSLRs still do exactly what the CSCs do. With the added advantage of having the OVF too.

But as rear screens are so good, and very clear these days I'd say it's not *much* of an advantage?

Being able to use all those aids in the VF does make it much better in my experience and Ive used all the latest LCDs/EVFs. Youve really got to try it out to see the advantages an EVF can provide. Ive used both extensively and each type of VF has its positives, EVF has the edge for MF aids imho.

For me, I prefered the EVF of the Fuji XT1 over my OVF Nikon D750 & D7100. Such an excellent way to focus with the aids mentioned by @twist. For me, I think EVF are the future or the dual design like the Xpro1 where you have a EVF & OVF.

Again for me, if the D750 had the EVF it would be the complete camera for me.

Last edited:
I know we're on a bit of a tangent with the CSC talk, but of interest, what's the battery life like on these cameras that have all kinds of electronic focus aids etc in the viewfinder all the time? I do sometimes find myself thinking such features would be great, but worry how many batteries you'd need to have if you were shooting all day. My back screen is turned off at all times unless I need to check something specific or if I'm using liveview for a macro.

I know we're on a bit of a tangent with the CSC talk, but of interest, what's the battery life like on these cameras that have all kinds of electronic focus aids etc in the viewfinder all the time? I do sometimes find myself thinking such features would be great, but worry how many batteries you'd need to have if you were shooting all day. My back screen is turned off at all times unless I need to check something specific or if I'm using liveview for a macro.

300-400 shots a battery.

I suspected as much, thanks for the info. Given that I can sometimes return from a wedding with several thousand shots, that'd be a lot of batteries to haul, hehe! :D

Indeed, grip will take 2 but thats still under 1000 shots till you need to 'refill'.

I think all the positives of these young cameras far outweigh the negatives including the battery life. Swapping over the batteries is a doddle though you just have to do it twice as much.

Are the batteries not usually smaller with the csc also?

So, they have now confirmed when the 5DS and 5DSr will be released. That is what this thread is about isn't it?

?

Back