Canon 6 D spec

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
So the 6D spec is out, no price as yet..

From Canon Rumours..

Body type
Body type Mid-size SLR
Sensor
Image ratio w:h 3:2
Effective pixels 20.2 megapixels
Sensor size Full frame (36 x 24 mm)
Sensor type CMOS
Processor Digic 5+
ISO Auto, 100 – 25600 in 1/3 stops, plus 50, 51200, 102400 as option
White balance presets 6
Custom white balance Yes
Image stabilization No
Uncompressed format RAW
JPEG quality levels Fine, Normal
Optics & Focus
Autofocus
Contrast Detect (sensor)
Phase Detect
Multi-area
Selective single-point
Single
Continuous
Face Detection
Live View
Manual focus Yes
Number of focus points 11
Lens mount Canon EF mount
Focal length multiplier 1×
Screen / viewfinder
Articulated LCD Fixed
Screen size 3.2″
Screen dots 102,400
Touch screen Yes
Screen type Clear View II TFT LCD
Live view Yes
Viewfinder type Optical (pentaprism)
Viewfinder coverage 97 %
Viewfinder magnification 0.71×
Photography features
Minimum shutter speed 30 sec
Maximum shutter speed 1/8000 sec
Aperture priority Yes
Shutter priority Yes
Manual exposure mode Yes
Subject / scene modes Yes
Built-in flash No
External flash Yes (Hot shoe)
Continuous drive Yes (4.5 fps)
Self-timer Yes (2 or 10 sec)
Metering modes
Multi
Center-weighted
Spot
Partial
Exposure compensation ±5 EV (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
AE Bracketing ±3 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
WB Bracketing Yes (3 frames in either blue/amber or magenta/green axis)
Videography features
Format
H.264
Microphone Mono
Speaker Mono
Resolutions 1920 x 1080 (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps fps), 1280 x 720 (59.94, 50 fps), 640 x 480 (25, 30 fps)
Videography notes 1080 and 720 intra or inter frame, 480 inter frame
Storage
Storage types SD/SDHC/SDXC
Connectivity
USB USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)
HDMI Yes (HDMI Mini)
Wireless BuiltIn
Remote control Yes (Remote control with N3 type contact, Wireless Controller LC-5, Remote Controller RC-6)
Physical
Environmentally sealed Yes (Splash and dust resistant)
Battery Battery Pack
Battery description Lithium-Ion LP-E6 rechargeable battery & charger
Weight (inc. batteries) 770 g (1.70 lb / 27.16 oz)
Dimensions 145 x 111 x 71 mm (5.71 x 4.37 x 2.8″)
Other features
Orientation sensor Yes
Timelapse recording Yes (by cable and PC)
GPS BuiltIn
GPS notes Image tagging and tracking modes

Will be interesting to see the price..

George.

There is a price now of 2099$ body only and 2899$ kit. Although i am not about to buy one, the lenses make ff too big and heavy for me to carry about, it is the first Canon I actually stood and took. otice of. It undercuts the d600 handily in key areas and offers WiFi and an FF sensor in a boy size and weight that my my APS-C K5!

Last edited:
Looks like a great way to get in to FF if you don't need all the focus points of the 5D3 or dual cards for redundancy.

Surely Canon will discontinue the 5D2 now.

another model cleverly squeezed into their complex range
be interesting to see how they have priced it

Last edited:
i wonder how well the GPS and wifi would work.

the body with 8-way dial doesn't look very comfortable to use, wonder if they've fixed 60D's squishy button problem.

for its price, it's slightly over priced compared to current 5D2, which still isn't discontinued yet. it has slightly updated inners (better sensor, AF?, wifi/GPS), but downgraded outer control scheme. at £1600 would make it well priced to replace 5D2 which are selling for £1400.

so after these "entry level" full frame announcements. i think for current price, a 5D2 is still a great buy compared to these £2000 cameras.

Last edited:
What they've done is make the D600 look great. Very strange I think. 97% VF? Only 11 focus points? Tested to 100K cycles [D600 is good to 150K] no headphone jack as far as I can see ... I would have thought they'd try better Nikon's offering tbh. If I was a Canon user looking for a great alternative to a 5DII as a budget way into FF, I'd be disappointed.

Shame to 5D3 doesn't have the built in WiFi and GPS though.

11 point AF compared to the D600's 39 !!!!

Wonder what the launch price will be £1999.99?

Very disappointed after reading about Nikon's D600. I was tempted to switch to full frame this year and keep my 550D as a second body but the 6D specs are too weak to warrant a £2k price tag for the body only. Canon really are milking their customers without giving much back.

Part of me is tempted to sell up all my Canon stuff and go for the D600 with one good walk-around lens.

The DP review seems to have it spot on in it's summary where the states that Nikon have taken as little away as possible from the D800 and Canon have taken away as much as possible.

It would be great kit if they put this body, with a 24-105 lens and a 320ex flash in for £2199.

Sam - I agree the D600 does seem to give this a smacking. If you were coming in without any EF lenses then the D600 would be the way to go surely.

However if Canon came in at £1599 (launch price) compared to £1955 for the D600....but that wont happen. I am sure that they will price it just under £2K.

Once the price settles I'm sure companies like Panamoz will be selling them for around £1200 but that is still too high IMO. I've just read Canon's announcement, 11 point AF with only the centre point being cross type! They have given it the 5DmkIII codec options but then removed the headphone socket :bang:

One step forward and two steps back IMO, I certainly wont be rushing out to buy one.

So have Jessops at the same price http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/87322/show.html

Is the general consensus that Canon will stop making the 5DII now? This is really bad timing for me. At the end of October I will have funds for either a 5DII + 2 nice 'L' lenses, or a 5DIII + 24-105L. If the 5DII is withdrawn, I doubt I'll be able to get one then...

Last edited:
:razz:Makes my 2nd hand 1 Ds mk 3 at £1900 look a bargain...bigger sensor, more af points, much better build quality, no brainer!!:razz:

IMVHO the reasons for FF reduce a little less every day, for me anyway. I have a 5D now and I have been waiting for a direct replacement for the 35mm SLR's I owned years ago and to date the only one available has been the D700, but, I think the future for me now is probably smaller formats.

It's a wee bit heavier though George and what is the highest ISO you can go to?

But I do agree at £1900 that is one awesome body for the price.

Its not a bad RRP price frankly and does position it well below the 5D3. If the AF system is good (ie functional and better than the 5D2) and high ISO performance is better than the 5D2 then once the price settles it won't be a bad camera I think. Would make a nice dual setup with a 7D if you like to shoot wildlife and landscapes.

I've been waiting about a month for this announcement. I'm disappointed to say the least. The D600 is all over the 6D IMO, 11 AF points?
I was hoping Canon would also bring out the 7d successor at Photokina. I guess the software upgrade is better than nothing.

I don't think that the lack of dual cards slots is a problem. It is a shame about the 11 point AF though.

It will be interesting to see the side by side reviews compared to the D600.

WEX showing as stock available in early December BUT they didn't say whether it was December 2012 or 2013 :LOL::LOL:

It's a wee bit heavier though George and what is the highest ISO you can go to?

But I do agree at £1900 that is one awesome body for the price.

Sensibly 1600, Rob, and I agree that the iso performance of the 6D will be better, but really, 10 yrs ago we'd have loved 1600 iso and how often in general photography do you need to go higher?

My reason to move to a 1 Dx from the 1Ds3 is to get a better iso performance, but I'm looking for high shutter speeds for wildlife in the dim and dark Scottish winters!!!

George.

You've never shot many gigs then? you'd be lucky to get anything decent at 1600 in dimly lit bars or venues. I've shot gigs at 3200 and wished I could push it more. But my D90 just couldn't cope with it. Night street shooting requires decent ISO performance too. Not long exposures, just straight shooting where you can't use flash, obviously.

The big Daddy cam's these days [1Dx, D4] can produce clean images at ISO 20k - that's what you pay for as well as sharp, fast focusing in the dark.

Last edited:
You've never shot many gigs then? you'd be lucky to get anything decent at 1600 in dimly lit bars or venues. I've shot gigs at 3200 and wished I could push it more. But my D90 just couldn't cope with it. Night street shooting requires decent ISO performance too. Not long exposures, just straight shooting where you can't use flash, obviously.

The big Daddy cam's these days [1Dx, D4] can produce clean images at ISO 20k - that's what you pay for as well as sharp, fast focusing in the dark.

No I don't shoot gigs.......and I accept your point, but how did you ever get images 10 years ago?...and I did say for general photography, I doubt many 6D potential users will be shooting gigs.

I intend to make use of the higher iso performance hence my switch to a 1 Dx, all I'm saying is that I think a second hand 1 Ds3 is a much better buy for the average photographer!

They are such different beasts.

As you said the 1D3s has that fantastic built quality, build in grip, great battery life and in that respect it's way above the 6D.

But for those wanting FF in a light body that will go to parties, on holiday etc etc, then the 6D looks a better option. The weight of a 1D body is just too much for many.

I see so many ladies with DSLRs now and for most of them the weight of a 1D is too much. The 5D3 is so good it pretty much destroyed used prices of the 1Ds3 (unless you have a need for the build quality).

And I agree with you ISO 1600 is good for most.

No I don't shoot gigs.......and I accept your point, but how did you ever get images 10 years ago?...and I did say for general photography, I doubt many 6D potential users will be shooting gigs.

I intend to make use of the higher iso performance hence my switch to a 1 Dx, all I'm saying is that I think a second hand 1 Ds3 is a much better buy for the average photographer!

I think the 6D/D600 offerings are ideal for gig shooters though. They're small & light and should be good enough to push beyond 3200. I'd be very disappointed in them if they couldn't manage that.

Years ago noise was more acceptable I guess. there are amazing gig photos from the 60's, 70's, 80's ... the 35mm sensors on film could handle it pretty good, and graininess added to the grittiness of the performances. You'll notice most gig shots from those times are in B&W though. You get away with a lot more in B&W in those scenarios I think.

I'm totally put off with huge pro cameras. Both the 6d/d600 are just the size i want.

It is a little disappointing considering the competition and 5Dii which still seems to be a cracking camera.
keen for FF myself next year if certain plans go ahead
being already invested in Canon, it's a but of a minefield on where to jump.
Older S type 1D or 2nd hand 5Dii or this?

If it comes down in price quite a lot I wonder if a lot of wedding photographers might buy it as a spare/backup body (or backup of their backup)?

just read this
Single SD card slot
What the smeg are they doing?
Why would a semi-pro who shoots on CF with their 5D/1D etc at all consider this for a back or similar?
just makes things too awkward, fiddly and decreases cross-compatibility

It sounds to me like a lot of folk want everything, but not pay a lot....wishful thinking.

The price and spec is no different than what I'd expect. Canon are future-proofing themselves in a way.

It gives choice to the consumer and mixes it up. This is a cheap way of getting a brand new full frame camera, so you can't expect all the bells n whistles.

I honestly cannot believe they've taken such an insane step with the af system. How much would it have cost to simply use the perfectly adequate 7D system?

It sounds to me like a lot of folk want everything, but not pay a lot....wishful thinking.

The price and spec is no different than what I'd expect. Canon are future-proofing themselves in a way.

It gives choice to the consumer and mixes it up. This is a cheap way of getting a brand new full frame camera, so you can't expect all the bells n whistles.

It's not really cheap though. You can buy a 5D mk II or D700 for less these days. I think people have a right to expect a little more bang for buck.

It's a different level of camera though and those are older models.

Canon will always include SOME new technology and remove others.

What was the starting off price when the 5D2 was announced? And isn't it correct that there's always something wrong witha new model when it's shown? No camera is ever 100% perfect to everyone.

Not arguing btw, just saying.

People need to remember this is a new camera (ie not second hand) and newly released- its price will drop in time.

Also, not every camera can have every feature otherwise no-one would ever buy the most expensive ones. There will never be another D700, just get used to the positioning of cameras at different price points and abilities. The companies do it to make money for their shareholders and also to pump back into R&D.

I think unless the price (once settled) comes well below £1300 mark, I can't see how it could be tempting to many of us, considering that you can pick up 5D3 for close to £1900.

Here's hoping that the AF is massive improvement to the the 5Dc/2 - guess that might tempt some who wanted to trade up.

I think unless the price (once settled) comes well below £1300 mark, I can't see how it could be tempting to many of us, considering that you can pick up 5D3 for close to £1900.

Here's hoping that the AF is massive improvement to the the 5Dc/2 - guess that might tempt some who wanted to trade up.

you can't compare import grey non vat prices with current uk prices of the latest release
the 5d mk3 was 3k uk

The only thing that I would find useful is the new Canon EOS Wi-Fi remote control App. I hope they make it compatible with the 1Dx (with Wi-Fi module attached). Not holding my breath though. According to the official press release only the EOS 6D will be compatible. :(
As for the Camera it self... not impressed but, I can see 1.6 crop owners with no EF-s lenses and on a budget looking at this as a second camera.

Back