Canon 6 D spec

It's an absolute scale of exposure that you can then convert into any particular exposure combination setting on a camera.

Hassleblads can be set directly with EV and Weston Meters (of which I have a few) use it for their indication of a reading (not that they go as low as -3).

e.g. -3EV = 60s at f/2.8 or 8 minutes at f/8*

I.e. really quite dark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

Edit: * conventionally at ISO 100 when referring to manufacturers' specs such as this.

Last edited:
oh, okay. thanks for explanation, didn't know that. modern cameras are not best tool to learn basic principles of photography.

d600 is almost as good as d800, and some might prefer 24mp over 36mp. 5DIII and 6D are totally different, in fact this 6D should be called 5D3 as it is a real continuation of poor af and build quality.

D600 only goes to 1/200 on flash sync? and no sync jack.

Well I didn't think there would be a 6D so soon after the Nikon D600. :eek: I thought they would give themselves more time to adjust to D600 if there was options to make changes.

Looking at the specs, it seems Canon have made a FF 60D (without the flip LCD) and Nikon have made a FF D7000. The main thing the D600 gets from the D7000 is the AF and two card slots. I can't believe that Canon have used the 11 point AF again, :eek: :bonk: they are certainly getting their money out of that system. ;) :LOL: I thought they would have based the 6D on the 7D, at least as far as AF is concerned. Two card slots is important to some more than others, but it's a nice feature to have.

Last week people were saying were saying the D600 was disappointing, and are now saying it looks good in comparison to the 6D. :LOL: I think they are both poor btw. ;)

The main things which I think will catch most users eyes will be the price, £200 cheaper than the D600, so I doubt it will attract many people tempted to switch from Canon to Nikon.

Add to that the ISO performance, which has been pushed almost as much as pixels in recent years, and the 6D looks a lot better on paper. How that will be in real life is something we'll have to wait and see. A possible two stop increase in high ISO performance could be useful for many people. :shrug:

The other feature which will catch many peoples eye is the WiFi and GPS built in. WiFi means nothing to me, but it was a a big thing when it was an option on the D4, so I assume that will be popular being built in. And the option to upload directly to Facebook, which again means nothing to me, but will probably be a popular feature.

I like the idea of GPS, and I even bought a GPS logger to see where I was when I've been taking pics abroad, but I've never bothered to match the images to the GPS data, just looked at the traces of my routes. WiFi, and especially GPS does have a big hit on battery life. :eek: It's not as if it is adding to the price though.

So for Canon, FF, £200 cheaper than Nikon's 'cheap' FF, higher ISO option than Nikon's cheapest FF, and GPS and WiFi. That's what will catch most people's attention imho. The technicalities like AF, card slots, FPS, 100% viewfinders (or not) and whatever else are things that people on sites like this will discuss. :shrug:

Very well said !!! That is why the 6D is called an entry level FF camera. Only people like me/us or those who have already started in DSLR photography are the ones complaining.

I think Canon has made another good Camera that will attract new people to get drawn (or drowned:D) into their system, and this is what matters to Canon I think.

modern cameras are not best tool to learn basic principles of photography.

I don't think you're right there, I think its the opposite, and it is definitely cheaper to learn using Digital as you don't have to pay and wait for the prints to look at the results, you simply preview and delete as you like right there and then.

Anyone else notice from the specs that the centre AF point focuses down to -3EV. That's like, really really dark. Not even the MKIII can focus in that low light.

Maybe Canon don't think 6D needs lots of AF points, just one super-duper point instead?
Yeah, it seems to not that bad of a deal after all. Would be cool if they brought the focus-compensation mechanism that Hasselblad uses to the masses.

I'm not too fussed about the flash sync-speed. My 5Dc doesn't go past 1/160 with triggers either.

edit: biggest downside is that the camera won't be available until next year.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that Nikon went with a built-in flash on its baby FF model, and Canon didn't....

Thats because the onboard flash is part of the nikon creative lighting system (CLS) and it triggers other speed lights via specific low power modes which dont affect exposure.

Thats because the onboard flash is part of the nikon creative lighting system (CLS) and it triggers other speed lights via specific low power modes which dont affect exposure.

Canon now has a similar system, and you can control their Speedlites from the flash on a 7D for example. They just don't seem to put integrated flash on their FF cameras. :shrug:

Yeah, I'm aware of CLS (I use it every day) but I'd have thought that with this being a 'baby' full-frame, Canon would have included a flash, if only to give a bit of flexibility.

Also, a massive omission is the ability to monitor audio in video mode, something that the D600 can do.

Back