Canon 6 D spec

looking at groups and landscapes, I think that minimal focussing points will do
however, having used my 7D properly at the weekend for a promo gig, the candids I was able to achieve at f/2.8 and f/3.2 using the cluster focusing (and to be able to switch quickly when in portrait mode) were great. I don't think I would have been able to do that on my 40D. very happy with that.
the 6D might be a great camera but it depends, for me, on how demanding you are as photographer for a particular feature.
What would put me off is the SD card
I'll go for a 5Dii instead, which uses the same battery as my 7D and the same card media. Would make much more sense for me personally. (if it's still available)
The 6D doesn't seem to be aimed at the pro/semi-pro due to the features they've cut out from the later 5D family spec.

Please do get informed before posting. The amount of old fashioned, outdated BS you have typed in the last two post, is enough to fertilize a large vegetable field. :p

Exactly!

I really can't see the need for the insults, nor can I actually see your point. Maybe I'm at fault :shrug:.

That's the problem with gear forums - when people forget about the photography, they apparently forget basic good manners too;)

I missed Deans post earlier -but think about the bunching up of AF points - it's not what any of us wants - yet I'm being unrealistic for pointing it out? I'm not suggesting focus recompose with a fast lens is how anyone should shoot - but I'm not defending 100+ focus points IN THE WRONG PLACE. I'm saying we should have good AF points where we want them.

I'm sure Dean and Raymond would both welcome more focus points over a wider area. Cramming 150 into an area that can be covered by 15 isn't that much 'real world' useful.

Raymond - I appreciate the light fall off argument, but that's why they should be working on technology better suited to the problem rather than improving the utilisation of the technology they've chosen.

The total price is really what's relevant and that must include all taxes. Are you able to let us in to the secret?

Well I've already jumped in and tried to second guess what The23rdman was getting at, and pointing out you can get 5DMKIII delivered for £1938. It's cheaper than the 2k he mentioned and only slightly more expensive than the £1900 you mentioned.

It's no secret, that's the price Panamoz are selling them for currently.

The AF points are in the same place, you now have more sensor outside it.

Thus it looks like they have all of the suddent pushed further in but in fact they have never moved. You have more sensor.
i know, field of view has been changed, thus making AF points seems bunched together and less useful.

thanks for highlighting the problem with focus-recompose, Ivan. i am aware of that, but that still begs the question how would you focus on something that you want to be on the edge of frame on a full frame?

also this light fall off discussion makes me wonder how my Canon 300 film SLR could have widely spread 9 AF points at far more useful positions than my 5D2?

To me it seem both Canon & Nikon,are both testing the water on lower end full frames,before they say upgrade their semi pro crop cameras.

Canon the 60D & 7D

Nikon the D300s & 7000

:)

They don't pay the vat or import fees. They try to avoid them and will refund you if it gets caught. It is how they are so much cheaper than a UK retailer.
If you buy from their e-shop, they pay the import duties direct. Their shipping bill includes their account number for any duties and fees. The cost for a 5D3 is £2049 from DR e-shop.

I know this as I have just bought a panny 12-35 and 7-14 from them.

Surely price comparisons should be at the RRP anyway, as in a matter of months both will be available cheaper/as grey imports.

I bought my 5D second hand as a stop gap while I was waiting for the 5Dmk3 to be released, then decide on mk3 or mk2. The mk3 is the camera I want, but too expensive to justify, so I got neither.

As long as the AF on the 6D is better than my 5D, it looks like it will be the camera for me. I like FF, weather sealing, mainly metal body, GPS & wifi and I can live with an only 97% viewfinder, as that is better than the original 5D (there weren't many people moaning about that back when it was released!).

wtf is Canon doing !!!

It looks like 6D does not have Micro adjust which is a must have for my next camera.

So why wifi ? is it for direct upload to facebook ? LOL

Surely price comparisons should be at the RRP anyway, as in a matter of months both will be available cheaper/as grey imports.

Don't bring sense into a discussion in Talk Equipment, it doesn't go down well! ;)

Last edited:
One thing I would like to have seen on the 6D is a flippy rear screen. It would be a really nice feature, offering a FF option for those doing low down macro work, and handy for movie mode. I think it would also place it nicely with respect to the 5D3.

I bought my 5D second hand as a stop gap while I was waiting for the 5Dmk3 to be released, then decide on mk3 or mk2. The mk3 is the camera I want, but too expensive to justify, so I got neither.

As long as the AF on the 6D is better than my 5D, it looks like it will be the camera for me. I like FF, weather sealing, mainly metal body, GPS & wifi and I can live with an only 97% viewfinder, as that is better than the original 5D (there weren't many people moaning about that back when it was released!).

The discussion wasn't about price comparisons. It was the fact that you could get what may be perceived to be a better camera (5DM3) for not much more than a second hand older model or even the new 6D, getting more bang for your buck.

Well, for a couple of hundred quid more you could have a brand new 5DIII for Digitalrev or a nice D800.

the 6d won't be £1900 in 6 months time from the grey importers
from what I have researched the 6d is going to be good in low light conditions whch will certainly make it a must for some
I think canon have aimed this model at a specific area squeezing it very cleverly in their model range
I am waiting to read the comparisons particularly against the nikon offering

Last edited:
No micro adjust? Okay, it is now blatantly obvious that this toy is aimed at enthusiasts rather than pros. No problem with that and we'll see where it comes in price wise in 6 months. I'd still rather have a D700.

the 6d won't be £1900 in 6 months time from the grey importers
from what I have researched the 6d is going to be good in low light conditions whch will certainly make it a must for some
I think canon have aimed this model at a specific area squeezing it very cleverly in their model range
I am waiting to read the comparisons particularly against the nikon offering

Agreed, but we're not talking about 6 months time, are we?

Where does it say that it doesn't have AFMA?

Apparently it does.

"The EOS 6D does, however offer the same AF microadjust as the 5D Mark III. Adjustments can be made separately for the wide and telephoto ends of zoom lenses, and can also be made per serial-numbered lens (should you have two copies of the same lens that require differing amounts of adjustment)." DPreview

Agreed, but we're not talking about 6 months time, are we?

exactly the same discussion is going on over on the d600 thread
If we are comparing prices it should be at the the MRP
we have pixel peepers and AF point peepers now lol
if we were canon or nikon what specification of camera would we build to fit in our line up

Last edited:
exactly the same discussion is going on over on the d600 thread
If we are comparing prices it should be at the the MRP
we have pixel peepers and AF point peepers now lol

The whole argument is tiresome. Enjoy it, I'm out!

I do think it's more pertinent when a new camera is released to compare non-UK to non UK and UK to UK... It's the differential that matters. I'm not sure someone who is uncomfortable with buying grey is going to easily change their view. It does seem to be a marmite thing.

Unless you are desperate to get your hands on a new camera on launch, then regardless of where you source it from, a couple of months patience will save you a fair bit. D800 & 5D MKIII both being good examples.

Canon's 6D pricing is not as baffling IMO as Nikon's D600. The latter being much closer even to UK D800 prices. 6D UK launch price compared to current best UK 5D MkIII is about £680. Nikon D600/D800 difference at present is only around £250. Still can't understand the latter.

Last edited:
d600 is almost as good as d800, and some might prefer 24mp over 36mp. 5DIII and 6D are totally different, in fact this 6D should be called 5D3 as it is a real continuation of poor af and build quality.

d600 is almost as good as d800, and some might prefer 24mp over 36mp. 5DIII and 6D are totally different, in fact this 6D should be called 5D3 as it is a real continuation of poor af and build quality.

is the build quality poor and is the af system poor
or is it a case of more af points makes a better camera and less is poor

Rebel t3i said:
is the build quality poor and is the af system poor
or is it a case of more af points makes a better camera and less is poor

No, more cross points makes a better camera. That is obvious to anyone.

No, more cross points makes a better camera. That is obvious to anyone.

I thought you had gone out :LOL:
before I pass judgement and condemn canons latest offering I shall await the test reviews for a more informed opinion

Last edited:
Rebel t3i said:
I thought you had gone out :LOL:
before I pass judgement and condemn canons latest offering I shall await the test reviews for a more informed opinion

That was on the pointless price debate. This is more a technical matter. I'll be amazed if they've defied physics and made the outer points as good as cross points. ;)

This sounds like it will be ideal for surveyors, take several landscape shots and wifi them back to the office with the GPS location embedded.

Perfect!

That was on the pointless price debate. This is more a technical matter. I'll be amazed if they've defied physics and made the outer points as good as cross points. ;)

I think it will work better than this af point peeping implies
the tests will be interesting
it appears to be a good low light camera from what I have researched so far

Last edited:
AF at -3 EV would fix the only problems I ever had with the AF on my 5Dc.

But then I'm still waiting for Canon to release a digital version of the EOS EF-M with a split-screen/fresnel rangefinder for manual focus :)

Last edited:
I personally think the 6D is a decent spec for what the street price will eventually settle at.

The AF is basic for sure, though probably better than the 5DmkII's and there are plenty of great shots around to prove that it worked well within it's limitations.

Built in GPS and WiFi will be good selling points, and what many were asking for.

FPS at 4.5, while not up there with the 600D is certainly not a real issue. Remember the 5DmkII could only manage 3.5fps.

A lot the whining elsewhere on the internet seems to be from people who are expecting it to be a 5DmkII replacement where in reality that was the mkIII. They were seemingly wanting something approaching a 5DmkIII at half the price. It just wasn't ever going to happen.

Well I didn't think there would be a 6D so soon after the Nikon D600. :eek: I thought they would give themselves more time to adjust to D600 if there was options to make changes.

Looking at the specs, it seems Canon have made a FF 60D (without the flip LCD) and Nikon have made a FF D7000. The main thing the D600 gets from the D7000 is the AF and two card slots. I can't believe that Canon have used the 11 point AF again, :eek: :bonk: they are certainly getting their money out of that system. ;) :LOL: I thought they would have based the 6D on the 7D, at least as far as AF is concerned. Two card slots is important to some more than others, but it's a nice feature to have.

Last week people were saying were saying the D600 was disappointing, and are now saying it looks good in comparison to the 6D. :LOL: I think they are both poor btw. ;)

The main things which I think will catch most users eyes will be the price, £200 cheaper than the D600, so I doubt it will attract many people tempted to switch from Canon to Nikon.

Add to that the ISO performance, which has been pushed almost as much as pixels in recent years, and the 6D looks a lot better on paper. How that will be in real life is something we'll have to wait and see. A possible two stop increase in high ISO performance could be useful for many people. :shrug:

The other feature which will catch many peoples eye is the WiFi and GPS built in. WiFi means nothing to me, but it was a a big thing when it was an option on the D4, so I assume that will be popular being built in. And the option to upload directly to Facebook, which again means nothing to me, but will probably be a popular feature.

I like the idea of GPS, and I even bought a GPS logger to see where I was when I've been taking pics abroad, but I've never bothered to match the images to the GPS data, just looked at the traces of my routes. WiFi, and especially GPS does have a big hit on battery life. :eek: It's not as if it is adding to the price though.

So for Canon, FF, £200 cheaper than Nikon's 'cheap' FF, higher ISO option than Nikon's cheapest FF, and GPS and WiFi. That's what will catch most people's attention imho. The technicalities like AF, card slots, FPS, 100% viewfinders (or not) and whatever else are things that people on sites like this will discuss. :shrug:

Last edited:
redhed17 said:
I can't believe that Canon have used the 11 point AF again, :eek: :bonk: they are certainly getting their money out of that system. ;) :LOL:

This is the first Canon body with 11-point AF, though Nikon have had a few. The 5Dc and 5D2 had 9 -point AF.

Well I didn't think there would be a 6D so soon after the Nikon D600. :eek: I thought they would give themselves more time to adjust to D600 if there was options to make changes.

Looking at the specs, it seems Canon have made a FF 60D (without the flip LCD) and Nikon have made a FF D7000. The main thing the D600 gets from the D7000 is the AF and two card slots. I can't believe that Canon have used the 11 point AF again, :eek: :bonk: they are certainly getting their money out of that system. ;) :LOL: I thought they would have based the 6D on the 7D, at least as far as AF is concerned. Two card slots is important to some more than others, but it's a nice feature to have.

Last week people were saying were saying the D600 was disappointing, and are now saying it looks good in comparison to the 6D. :LOL: I think they are both poor btw. ;)

The main things which I think will catch most users eyes will be the price, £200 cheaper than the D600, so I doubt it will attract many people tempted to switch from Canon to Nikon.

Add to that the ISO performance, which has been pushed almost as much as pixels in recent years, and the 6D looks a lot better on paper. How that will be in real life is something we'll have to wait and see. A possible two stop increase in high ISO performance could be useful for many people. :shrug:

The other feature which will catch many peoples eye is the WiFi and GPS built in. WiFi means nothing to me, but it was a a big thing when it was an option on the D4, so I assume that will be popular being built in. And the option to upload directly to Facebook, which again means nothing to me, but will probably be a popular feature.

I like the idea of GPS, and I even bought a GPS logger to see where I was when I've been taking pics abroad, but I've never bothered to match the images to the GPS data, just looked at the traces of my routes. WiFi, and especially GPS does have a big hit on battery life. :eek: It's not as if it is adding to the price though.

So for Canon, FF, £200 cheaper than Nikon's 'cheap' FF, higher ISO option than Nikon's cheapest FF, and GPS and WiFi. That's what will catch most people's attention imho. The technicalities like AF, card slots, FPS, 100% viewfinders (or not) and whatever else are things that people on sites like this will discuss. :shrug:

You make it sound like 600d vs 60d debate. Well it is a lot of money for the body at this point, and people buying this kind gear actually tend to know something and think over the purchase. Effectivelly for 10% more you get 2x better camera. Is there anything else to say?

This is the first Canon body with 11-point AF, though Nikon have had a few. The 5Dc and 5D2 had 9 -point AF.

I apologise, I was confused with the 9 point AF used in 10+ DSLRs. :bonk:

You make it sound like 600d vs 60d debate. Well it is a lot of money for the body at this point, and people buying this kind gear actually tend to know something and think over the purchase. Effectivelly for 10% more you get 2x better camera. Is there anything else to say?

In theory, you would hope that everyone buying a camera (especially of this price) would do their homework on what they were buying, but this camera is aimed at a wider market, with more casual users who may not be that diligent.

I didn't mean to make it into any camera versus any other debate, but you can't get away with comparing one camera with another, and the prices they are charging for the features, when they are obviously aimed at the same level user and financial segment of the market. In reality, if you have a Canon or Nikon camera already, and you want to go FF, then you will probably stick with the same brand you already have, because I don't think either of these cameras would tempt many to change from one brand to the other, so the discussion is about who, if anyone, is getting the better deal from these new cameras. :shrug:

Same thing happened with the 1DX and D4, and 5DIII and D800. :shrug: Although I do think that with those cameras they are more likely to make people switch brands. :shrug:

Nobody has mentioned the IOS app yet, you can control the camera wirelessly from your iPhone, then look at all the pictures too... Makes group photos you are in a lot easier to take

well i've been waiting on this arriving...i'm moving into FF and havent taken the financial plunge yet. Whilst i loved shooting with the 5Dii my issue (coming from the 7D) was the focus points and ability which was a let down (but not something i couldnt cope with)...money is also a big consideration whislt more in my price range than a 5Diii i still cant help but feel a 5Dii plus a new lens (24-70 or 50 1.4) would be a better buy than the 6D (sacrifice the AF).

Just to throw a spanner in the works i've checked the sites referenced in this thread and prices are very good (although i assume they're imports??) for the 5Diii....

Confused and undecided........Still

Dan

Anyone else notice from the specs that the centre AF point focuses down to -3EV. That's like, really really dark. Not even the MKIII can focus in that low light.

Maybe Canon don't think 6D needs lots of AF points, just one super-duper point instead?

I did mention it a few posts ago. My Sekonic L358 won't even meter that dark, it only goes to -2.

i'm confused about that. i thought EV means stops of light. therefore -3EV means it's -3 stops of light. it's relative to the lighting condition?

so how does -3EV mean it's really dark? it could be -3EV in bright daylight which would make it similar level of brightness as in a bright room.

basically, my understanding of EV is relative stops of light. so what is 0EV in AF terms? i thought metrics for AF is cross type sensor and ability to focus at small aperture (eg f/8).

Back