Canon 600D Official Owners Thread - Anything 600D Related

Hi, I have a few weddings to attend this year and I'm thinking I might need some spare batteries. Has anyone used any third party batteries in their 600d?

Another question sorry, does the 600D have the facility for user presets and if so how many?

mani said:
hey

i got delievery of this last week.

got the 17-105 and the nifty fifty

lookin at gettin a L lens soon hopefully - save some money first!!

Just got myself the 24-105mm L. I only managed to take a few test shots as it was a dull day. Seems really sharp, but I did notice there was some camera shake evident, I was shooting at 1/60 or 1/30 at f4. I was expecting the IS to be a bit better. But it was probably just me. Can't wait to get out and give it a decent try out.

jimgallaher said:
Just got myself the 24-105mm L. I only managed to take a few test shots as it was a dull day. Seems really sharp, but I did notice there was some camera shake evident, I was shooting at 1/60 or 1/30 at f4. I was expecting the IS to be a bit better. But it was probably just me. Can't wait to get out and give it a decent try out.

I would also assume that the IS on L lenses would be better but I can't shoot using the kit lens or the 55-250 MKII at less than 1/80 without most of my shots being shaky.

mahmoudathab said:
hi everyone i just bought my first DSLR a canon 600D. so please help and tolerate me as much as u can :)

Welcome to the forum! If you have any questions just ask, we're a friendly bunch. :)

Hi,

I have a 600D too, i have noticed that if i try to compose a shot using the screen the camera struggles to autofocus. Has anyone noticed this before or am i being dim ?

Hi,

I have a 600D too, i have noticed that if i try to compose a shot using the screen the camera struggles to autofocus. Has anyone noticed this before or am i being dim ?

I have noticed this to, i just tend not to use it.

Just ordered one :)
Will post in a few days when it arrives, Im going up from a 400D which now wont turn on at all (i think after much trouble shooting the power board/circuit has gone, will probly cost £80 or so to fix, so Ill give it to a mate for free).
I'm looking forward to trying out movie mode, especially with a macro lens and a small subject :)

Rico said:
I would also assume that the IS on L lenses would be better but I can't shoot using the kit lens or the 55-250 MKII at less than 1/80 without most of my shots being shaky.

Hi. I'm fairly new to photography and have been doing a lot if reading up. One of the useful articles I've found is on TP in the tutorials. It Explains about the rule of thumb speeds for hand held shooting to prevent shake. It has to do with the focal length of the lens (which you have to multiply by 1.6 as the 600d does not have full size sensor). It's explained better in the article called Lesson 1.
Ps. Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs 

Just got the 600D, 1st time I've got my hands on a DSLR. Got the 18-55MM IS lens with the body but looking for a budget telephoto lens and got this one in mind Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens which I are going for around the £130 at Amazon marketplace

Also just popped over to jessops and got this nice rucksack camara bag for £25 (reduced from £75)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/83193/show.html

Just got the 600D, 1st time I've got my hands on a DSLR. Got the 18-55MM IS lens with the body but looking for a budget telephoto lens and got this one in mind Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens which I are going for around the £130 at Amazon marketplace so is there anything simlar to consider along with this lens?

Also just popped over to jessops and got this nice rucksack camara bag for £25 (reduced from £75)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/83193/show.html

Hi. I'm fairly new to photography and have been doing a lot if reading up. One of the useful articles I've found is on TP in the tutorials. It Explains about the rule of thumb speeds for hand held shooting to prevent shake. It has to do with the focal length of the lens (which you have to multiply by 1.6 as the 600d does not have full size sensor). It's explained better in the article called Lesson 1.
Ps. Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs 
No problem! I have read it but like to test these things myself. Even at 18mm I'm shakin' like a hamster on a washing machine but that's more me rather then the camera. :LOL:

I tend to use it :) I hate look at that small view finder ( much smaller than higher level camera's viewfinder) Live view focus apparently slower but more accurate. Try to look at Contrast detection and Phrase detection to know why :)

Cheers

That's fine if you have the time to wait for live view to focus. I've used it when at odd angles on non-moving subjects when there's no rush but it's useless at anything else imo. :bang:

I got the kit lens 18-55mm with camera, then bought Canon 55-250mm and 50mm f1.8. Will have to stop there for a while and save some more money lol

Hey all im new to the site... proud owner of a 600d.

Have taken a few random shots, but need to find some time to have a good play :)

Currently using the kit lens 18-55mm, i am looking to buy a "walk about" lens and one for portraits. Any advice would be much appreciated.

sigma 18-200mm, any good? i am new to all this but hold great passion in the art and am willing to learn and have fun :)

Fla5h said:
Just got the 600D, 1st time I've got my hands on a DSLR. Got the 18-55MM IS lens with the body but looking for a budget telephoto lens and got this one in mind Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens which I are going for around the £130 at Amazon marketplace so is there anything simlar to consider along with this lens?

Just got the 600D myself as my first DSLR and I have been looking at lenses. I think in that price range it is probably your best option.
I got the 28-135 IS USM with mine which is very nice. I was looking at the 70-300 IS USM if I wanted a longer focal length option. It's about £350 though so a fair bit more than the 55-250.

trendy_geek said:

Have taken a few random shots, but need to find some time to have a good play :)

Currently using the kit lens 18-55mm, i am looking to buy a "walk about" lens and one for portraits. Any advice would be much appreciated.

sigma 18-200mm, any good? i am new to all this but hold great passion in the art and am willing to learn and have fun :)

I am new myself but I have been doing a lot of reading. I have a friend heavily into photography and he recommended the 28-135 IS USM as a good walkabout which the reviews I read seemed to back up so that's what I got. There is also the 24-105L but that's about twice the price.

I have read 80mm is the ideal portrait lens so that's about 50mm on our crop cameras. You can get a 50mm 1.8 prime lens for about £80 or the 1.4 USM for about £240.

Kevrush said:
Hi, I have a few weddings to attend this year and I'm thinking I might need some spare batteries. Has anyone used any third party batteries in their 600d?

I bought one from amazon for around £11. It was magiphoto or some name like that. Seems to last about as long as the canon.

jimgallaher said:

Assuming you were at max zoom then the guide for handheld is 1/focuslength so about 1/100. Even with a two stop IS that comes down to 1/25 so I would have thought with that lens it should be noticeable very much at those settings. A lot depends on the user though and especially how you hold the camera.

I am new myself but I have been doing a lot of reading. I have a friend heavily into photography and he recommended the 28-135 IS USM as a good walkabout which the reviews I read seemed to back up so that's what I got. There is also the 24-105L but that's about twice the price.

I have read 80mm is the ideal portrait lens so that's about 50mm on our crop cameras. You can get a 50mm 1.8 prime lens for about £80 or the 1.4 USM for about £240.

Hey Gblade :) Thank you... i am looking to get the prime lens but will also read upon the 28-135 IS USM. Maybe save up a bit which is difficult as i spend too much.

Last edited:
Hey Gblade :) Thank you... i am looking to get the prime lens but will also read upon the 28-135 IS USM. Maybe save up a bit which is difficult as i spend too much.
I can thoroughly recommend the 50mm f1.4. I picked a mint one up on gumtree for £200. It's a fantastic lens, I lent it to a friend 2 weeks ago to try on his 60d and I'm having trouble getting it back off him !
The first shot I took with it was of our black cat sitting on a dark wooden floor, the sharpness blew me away and the bokeh just made the shot. The depth of field at the wide apertures is paper thin though.

Can anyone tell me whether the 600D has a built in focus motor or do you have to buy lens with motor drives, like you would need to for the Nikon D5100.

Can anyone tell me whether the 600D has a built in focus motor or do you have to buy lens with motor drives, like you would need to for the Nikon D5100.

google says it does.:LOL:

I've just got back from Antarctica and Iguazu Falls with my Sigma 18-250 and Sigma 150-500. Delighted with the results from both.

The only thing I missed was a little bit more wide angle than the 18mm (actually 28.8mm as a 35mm equivalent on the 600D) end of the 18-250.

I've just got back from Antarctica and Iguazu Falls with my Sigma 18-250 and Sigma 150-500. Delighted with the results from both.

The only thing I missed was a little bit more wide angle than the 18mm (actually 28.8mm as a 35mm equivalent on the 600D) end of the 18-250.

post the pics up! ;)

OK. I've put some of the 6000+ images up at http://www.spinningweb.net/antarctica/index.html for a friend who was asking.

Be gentle: it was the first time I'd used the lenses and the 600D and several, such as the porpoising penguins, the cormorants, wandering albatross and petrel were taken from a (small) moving ship with the lenses fully zoomed!

digital said:
OK. I've put some of the 6000+ images up at http://www.spinningweb.net/antarctica/index.html for a friend who was asking.

Be gentle: it was the first time I'd used the lenses and the 600D and several, such as the porpoising penguins, the cormorants, wandering albatross and petrel were taken from a (small) moving ship with the lenses fully zoomed!

Well I'm no expert but these look fantastic, amazing colour, looked like really good light!!
If you want critique then you should post them on the feedback and critique site bird section!!

Job well done there buddy!

Thanks <blush>!

Putting up what are really holiday snaps in public is quite nerve-wracking. They were taken on the move with little time to plan things like framing and exposure and most of the subjects refused to keep still and pose!

Anyone thinking of Antarctica should stop wasting time and GO.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II... Looking to get this as a additional lens until i save up.

Currently using kit lens 18-55mm...i struggled to shoot group pictures with this especially when space is restricted.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks matey, shame some of them came out small... i think something to do with facebook there..

I have been struggling with trying to decide whether to buy the Nikon D5100 or the Canon 600D and have been back and forth to jessops trying each camera and doing loads of research. Well i went back to jessops today and came out with a bag, a UV filter, a screen protector, a lens hood, AND, a CANON 600D.:clap: :woot:

Now im looking for some help, i am going out tomorrow with a friend to spend the day shooting, i haven't got time to fully read the manual before i go so has anyone got any tips on any settings that i may need to set to get better results. Thanks in advance.

I've had my 600d since October. Congratulations on your choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new purchase. Which lens did you get?

Back