Canon 600D Official Owners Thread - Anything 600D Related

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
hi, i have done a search on here and could not find a 600D owners thread so i have started one now. I have had my 600D for a few weeks now which is my first DSLR camera. I chose the 600D after scouring the internet at reviews/ videos on youtube, forums etc and the 600D was the winner, i was going to get the 60D but didn't want to spend that much for my first camera :).

I bought it from Jessops for £599.99 with the kit lens, next cheapest was from Pixmania which was about £550 but i got the £50 cash back voucher from Jessops so its about even and if it goes wrong it will be easier to return!

So this thread is all about the 600D so please post if you own one, want one or just like talking about it.... also

please share your pics taken with the 600D
add any hints or tips you think others will find useful
kit recommendations...lens's, remote flash, cases etc

thanks ;)

just me then :)

anyone have a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM on the 600D?

Last edited:
Hi!

Like you, I purchased mine from Jessops for £599.99 just before Christmas. I wanted to have the assurance of a UK warranty in case of problems.
Along with the £50 cashback, I also reserved online via Quidco and claimed another 6% back!

So far I've also purchased 50mm 1.8 and a 55-250mm IS II. Both excellent lenses for the money IMO. (y)

I'll post some images taken with all when I get around to figuring out how lightroom works! :thinking:

Hi,

I purchased my 600D with the 18-55mm kit lens, in August 2011. Very happy with it, easy to use, and great quality images. I received an EOS Training voucher with mine.

Looking to purchase a 55-250mm MKII and a 50mm f1.8 very soon!

Welcome aboard I also did the quidco cash back forgot to mention. I have the 50mm 1.8 and I am currently selling my kit lens as I have just bought the 24-105 L lens ;)

Bought mine about a month ago from Clifton cameras body only for £550 12 months interest free credit with 50percent down and£50 cash back nt had much chance to play with it as working a lot but so far impressed with it . Just need to get some decent lenses to go with it .got a nifty and sigma 70-300 pluss canon100 m macro and 17-55 kit lens . Some sort of l series next on my wish list .good step up from 1000D

Bought mine about a month ago from Clifton cameras body only for £550 12 months interest free credit with 50percent down and£50 cash back nt had much chance to play with it as working a lot but so far impressed with it . Just need to get some decent lenses to go with it .got a nifty and sigma 70-300 pluss canon100 m macro and 17-55 kit lens . Some sort of l series next on my wish list .good step up from 1000D

hi mate and welcome to the thread, how does your 100mm macro lens go with the 600D i don't have a macro lens, care to share your experiences?

Thanks chris not had a good play with it at the mo as nothing really to shoot with it but as soon as I get a few shots with it will post a pic on here

Last edited:
Thanks chris not had a good play with it at the mo as nothing really to shoot with it but as soon as I get a few shots with it will post a pic on here

cheers mate, that one lens type i do not own yet so would be interesting to see a few shots :)

I bought my 600d from Jessops with a package including the 18-55 kit lens, UV filters (not worth bothering with!), a bag, Tamron 70-200, insurance & memory card. I also bought another battery and it all came to just under 1K.

I have since bought a nifty fifty - canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens, which is a favourite of mine, the other being the tamron. Am hoping to get a UWA lens in the near future, but torn between the Sigma 10-20 and the canon 10-22, but the canon is a little over my budget......

Am hoping to get a UWA lens in the near future, but torn between the Sigma 10-20 and the canon 10-22, but the canon is a little over my budget......

I hope to get a ultra wide in the not too distant future (birthday in March! :naughty:) but in the interim I'm going to Scotland for 1 week in February so I am really tempted to hire the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM from lensesforhire to see how I get on with it.:love:
TBH, it's over budget so I will probably end up with the Sigma 10-20.

I hope to get a ultra wide in the not too distant future (birthday in March! :naughty:) but in the interim I'm going to Scotland for 1 week in February so I am really tempted to hire the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM from lensesforhire to see how I get on with it.:love:
TBH, it's over budget so I will probably end up with the Sigma 10-20.

I considered them, and thought there prices were reasonable, but then i got confused and thought you had to put a massive deposit & insurance down (about £400) and I couldnt afford it at the time....I know you get the deposit back but even so...unless I totally read it wrong, which wouldnt be unusual! LOL!

thats the lens i am missing... a wide angle lens. My birthday in june maybe i will have to wait till then :)

I considered them, and thought there prices were reasonable, but then i got confused and thought you had to put a massive deposit & insurance down (about £400) and I couldnt afford it at the time....I know you get the deposit back but even so...unless I totally read it wrong, which wouldnt be unusual! LOL!
I had a read and I think they try and avoid taking a deposit from what their site says:

Do you charge a deposit?

Generally no. We trust you to look after our gear. Please help us to maintain this policy by repaying our trust. If we can't satisfy ourselves that a customer is genuine, or if the transaction looks unusually risky for other reasons, then we may ask for a deposit. (That's why we ask so many questions.)

There are a number of situations in which we will routinely ask for a deposit though:

* If you live outside the UK.
* If you’re a foreign visitor to the UK.

I'll let you know how I get on if I hire it in Feb. :)

Bought a 600D for my son as a replacement for his 400D as he wanted to shoot video. Paired it with a 15-85 lens to replace the 18-55 mk1 kit lens.

Not played with it yet, but it does produce good results.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be the owner of a 600D. Can anyone recommend a decent camera bag big enough to hold the camera and at least two lenses and not mega expensive.

Hi Richard,

I have a prime 'nifty-fifty' - canon 1.4 mkII 50mm lens - cost about £70 - its a lovely little lens, especially for low light work & portraits. Also, my tamron 70-200 is also on my camera when the nifty fifty isnt - bought in a bundle so not too sure of price, but its a great lens and you can do some macro with it.

As for bags, I use a Trek 2 from Jessops - its a bit cumbersome to be honest but think thats cos its well padded. I can carry all my lenses (i have 3), plus flashgun & bits like battery, remote release & cleaning stuff in it easily.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be the owner of a 600D. Can anyone recommend a decent camera bag big enough to hold the camera and at least two lenses and not mega expensive.

I have the lowepro nova 160 AW, £25 from amazon and fits my 600d with the kit lens attached and two spare lens's

I got a £17 bag from Amazon as an interim bag but I really like it and will be using it for some time!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001J4K2G8

Currently in it is:

600D with 18-55mm kit lens attached
50mm 1.8
55-250mm IS MKII with ET-60 hood attached
Charger & cables
A small torch
Spare LP-E8 battery
8x AA batteries
Wireless remote
Filters
Nikon Coolpix for those times I CBA to get the DSLR out

It still has room to spare and the padded shoulder strap is comfy enough. :)

Last edited:
I got my 600D, body only, online from Dixons for £462.49: £535, less the £50 winter offer, less £22.51 from TopCashBack (http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/digital - referral link) who generally pay more than Quidco.

I'm not sure what the Dixons price is now, but it does seem to vary.

Last edited:
But it wasn't on the same £535 body only deal: it was on a £600 deal which, of course, would attract more cashback.

Last edited:
I got a £17 bag from Amazon as an interim bag but I really like it and will be using it for some time!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001J4K2G8

Currently in it is:

600D with 18-55mm kit lens attached
50mm 1.8
55-250mm IS MKII with ET-60 hood attached
Charger & cables
A small torch
Spare LP-E8 battery
8x AA batteries
Wireless remote
Filters
Nikon Coolpix for those times I CBA to get the DSLR out

It still has room to spare and the padded shoulder strap is comfy enough. :)

Looks like a winner to me!

I should add that the bag also has plenty of internal padding between the compartments, and the internal dividers are also secured by velcro so are movable.
A really great bag for the price!

i have just received two parcels today... first was from HDEWCameras...for my brand spanking new 24-105 4f L lens :):) and the other was for my new lowepro slingshot 102 AW bag. well first of all the lens is huge and heavy!!! sure its heavier than my 600D but it looks very nice on it! took a few indoor shots and it seems quick focusing and nice images but no outdoor use yet. The lowepro bag is great, it is well made and you can tel its a quality item. It has loads of storage compartments but...... its a tad on the small size for the 24-105 L lens. It will not fit inside with the lens hood on so i removed it and it sits with my other 50mm 1.8f lens. Bought this for my honeymoon to mexico in feb and this is the bag that fits the stupid strict thomas cook airline measurements which I'm sure are smaller than all the others!

Very nice lens, I'm tapped out money wise but hopefully something nice will turn up in March for my birthday. ;)

Has anyone used/using back button focus? I've been experimenting with it for the past week and find it's much more intuitive than the shutter half press to focus, and when used with AI Servo focus mode it's much easier to focus on moving subjects.

I'm curious to hear other 600D users opinion on it.

Rico said:
Very nice lens, I'm tapped out money wise but hopefully something nice will turn up in March for my birthday. ;)

Has anyone used/using back button focus? I've been experimenting with it for the past week and find it's much more intuitive than the shutter half press to focus, and when used with AI Servo focus mode it's much easier to focus on moving subjects.

I'm curious to hear other 600D users opinion on it.

Back button focus? How do you do this? When would you use this?

Sorry, am very stuuupid!

In the custom functions menu (C.Fn IV: Operation/Others Shutter/AE lock button) change it from 0 to 1 (AE lock/AF).

This makes the * button on the back the button to focus and when you half press the shutter it meters (and locks) the exposure.
For moving subjects you can keep the * button pressed and assuming you are using AI Servo it will keep auto focusing as long as the * button is pressed.

I've been testing it on my dog running around in a field and I find I can fire off shots much quicker and get more keepers.

Hope that helps!

Oooooo - this sounds brilliant - and being the owner of a 11week old retriever, is just the thing I need! Thanks. Will start playing with it ASAP!!

SJD2011 said:
Oooooo - this sounds brilliant - and being the owner of a 11week old retriever, is just the thing I need! Thanks. Will start playing with it ASAP!!

No problem! To begin with I was using it with 'One Shot' focus which was not good but once I switched to 'AI Servo' things were much better.

I find it more intuitive in all situations now I have been using it for a while. :)

In the custom functions menu (C.Fn IV: Operation/Others Shutter/AE lock button) change it from 0 to 1 (AE lock/AF).

This makes the * button on the back the button to focus and when you half press the shutter it meters (and locks) the exposure.
For moving subjects you can keep the * button pressed and assuming you are using AI Servo it will keep auto focusing as long as the * button is pressed.

I've been testing it on my dog running around in a field and I find I can fire off shots much quicker and get more keepers.

Hope that helps!

very helpful something i did not know, thanks mate

right some photos of my 600D with new 24-105 L lens, also my trusted GoPro HD Hero in the back ground :)

photo.jpg

photocopy.jpg

it only arrived yesterday so haven't really had a chance to give it a blast but some test shots indoors proves very good!

does anyone know of any test shots i could do to see if this lens is performing correctly?

a great book i have on the 600D and that i will recommend is "canon EOS Rebel T3i/600D from snapshots to great shots" by Jeff REVELL bought from amazon for about tenner and its great, really easy to follow, plenty of pics and end of each chapter it has mini assignments to follow and complete.
link below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-R...664X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327168157&sr=8-7

I brought this the other day though paid over the odds at waterstones but it is a great book very helpfull.

Will check that book out....and I have just been very naughty - bought my sigma 10-20mm - amazon seem to have it on lowest price at the moment at £370.........oops!

I got that book before I got my camera, it was quite helpful.

Back