Canon 600D Official Owners Thread - Anything 600D Related

Rolex said:
think he meant to say you can get both for £400 each! ...

Sorry I did mean £400 each.

Good glass holds its value and will be good glass regardless of the body you put it on (I am mainly talking L lenses as they fit both Canon mounts) and really does make the 600D a different camera!

shaylou said:
It's just my opinion but f you are looking for image quality I think your money may be better spent on some good glass. There are differently some advantages from one body to the next but I don't think the actual image quality is enough on these bodies to justify that move. I too have a 600d and plan to upgrade next year. The way I see it if I am gong to upgrade it needs to be just that, an upgrade. I will go with the 5D mrk3. That is a huge step above the 600D and I feel that it's a true upgrade that I am getting my money's worth.

Another thing is that the pros I talk to all say to upgrade glass first, then upgrade body.

This is a sensible move!

Thanks for your advice great men of photography. I will have to upgrade the lens within the next week or so I was looking at this lens

1. Tarmon 17mm -50mm (can across people talking about it on the forum)
2. Canon 40mm (Read very good reviews about it)
3 Canon 85mmf/1.8 (Good reviews too)

or should I just wait longer and get Canon 17mm- 55mm

Rico where can I get it for £400 please

Hmm prices seem to have risen for the 17-55. I bought mine second hand on these forums for £500 and sold it for £500 on eBay when I got my 5D2 but they are currently going for £550ish which is still a bargain for this fantastic lens.
I've personally not used the 85 1.8 but I have heard many good things about it although it might be a bit long on a crop.

nufflovetola said:
Thanks for your advice great men of photography. I will have to upgrade the lens within the next week or so I was looking at this lens

1. Tarmon 17mm -50mm (can across people talking about it on the forum)
2. Canon 40mm (Read very good reviews about it)
3 Canon 85mmf/1.8 (Good reviews too)

or should I just wait longer and get Canon 17mm- 55mm

Rico where can I get it for £400 please

If I were you I think I would wait and get the 17-55. I would also stick somewhat close to Canon for the quality. Although I heard some not so good things about the 40. From what I understand the 85 is a great lens but it is not what I would consider a walk around lens. I would buy what I will use the most first and add specialty lenses as I go. Btw in the u.s. the 17-55 is exactly the same price as it was when I bought mine 8 months ago. Like they say, the glass will hold its value.

Good luck.

Yes but here in Uk the price is a lot. £749 from Amazon, £600 for the use if I get lucky maybe £500 don't think I wanna spend that much on a lens another reason I wanted to leave Canon lens are costly not all of us can afford I need something I can afford

nufflovetola said:
Yes but here in Uk the price is a lot. £749 from Amazon, £600 for the use if I get lucky maybe £500 don't think I wanna spend that much on a lens another reason I wanted to leave Canon lens are costly not all of us can afford I need something I can afford

Yes I understand its a lot here as well. I just think that the over all quality is worth the price even if it means putting it off for a wail as you save up for it. If I had to do it all over that's what I would do. But to each is own.

To get the really good image quality that you seem to want you generally need to spend as much if not more on lenses than a body. These quality bits of glass will retain their value compared to the bodies and when you do upgrade the body the same quality glass will still be quality.
It doesn't matter who makes the gear, Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc etc. Cheap lenses by any of them are cheap lenses.

Changing to a more expensive body and putting the same cheap glass in front of it will not give you better results!

It really is that simple.

I live on a student budget I can't afford a 749 lens I have always used Nikon ( this is my first Canon) and I never had a problem with picture quality. If I upgrade glass I need something affordable and wouldn't leave me having bread alone for months.

Sorry, I was under the impression you were going to buy a different body rather than a lens!

I have personally not used the Tamron but it seems to get some good reviews and the images in the Flickr group look decent. (y)

shaylou said:
If I were you I think I would wait and get the 17-55. I would also stick somewhat close to Canon for the quality. Although I heard some not so good things about the 40. From what I understand the 85 is a great lens but it is not what I would consider a walk around lens. I would buy what I will use the most first and add specialty lenses as I go. Btw in the u.s. the 17-55 is exactly the same price as it was when I bought mine 8 months ago. Like they say, the glass will hold its value.

Good luck.

I have the Tamron 17-55mm after a lot of thought, only because it was cheaper than the Canon & have been very. pleased with it since - the fixed max aperture makes real difference - i agree with others that lens upgrades are the priority over bodies, particularly if tight on £. Go for best u can afford - good luck

I'll be buying my 600D on 19th October (just over 2 weeks to go and so excited).

Will get it from panamoz.com as I can get the body, dual lens kit (EF-S 18-55mm IS II & Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS II), lens cleaning pen, lens cleaning cloth, 1 year replacement warranty & SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I (95MB/s) 16GB for the grand total of £568.00

A good price in my opinion and well within my budget. Just have to wait for payday now :(

Last edited:
Good lens.

Needs decent light as the AF can hunt a bit otherwise but good value for money!

But I was told the Tamron on better. Share the pics you take with it Dann

There is two sigma 70-300s. One is the same price as the Tamron equivalent.
This one is slightly more expensive.

I will do. Lens will be here today and camera will be delivered later this week hopefully.

So, battery wise.. is the 400 shots about right?

That's what Canon suggest, but the 1000D they said was around 500 shots before the battery ran out, and I definately got more than that in one day

Just wondered what peoples opinions/experience were on this

Never taken that amount of shots in a day but I reckon if you use that super fast Sandisk Pro 95MB/s you can take more than 400. But don't take my word do a trial run and have a spare with you taking the battery out of the dslr after each use helps too

DjLukeW said:
So, battery wise.. is the 400 shots about right?

That's what Canon suggest, but the 1000D they said was around 500 shots before the battery ran out, and I definately got more than that in one day

Just wondered what peoples opinions/experience were on this

Yes (400-500) but it depends on if you use live view or not. With live view you will get a bit less.

I have taken over 500 photos with the battery still showing full at the end. I think the quoted battery life includes a percentage with the flash on.

I have taken over 500 photos with the battery still showing full at the end. I think the quoted battery life includes a percentage with the flash on.

Awesome, Cheers man.

Yeah I did the same with my 1000D at several events this year.

I'll post this here instead of the 'equipment area as it's more relevant here:

I will be getting a Canon 600D in the next couple of weeks and have decided to get the Speedlight 430EX II (only £176 from panamoz and that's before the 5% BACS discount - but that's another story...).

My question is, the Canon 600D website states "An integrated wireless Speedlite flash controller and Easy Wireless technology allow off-camera TTL flash without the need for extra accessories."

which I assume means you can use the flash off-camera without the need for a remote adapter mounted on the camera?

Is this correct or will I need anything else to use the flash off camera? also if this is the case, what is the range from the camera to the flash?

Thanks,

Justin

I would say since you're just starting photography do some research on Yongnuo Speedlight even pros use it I would say Yongnuo YN-560 II but it's up to you really

You can trigger the remote flash with the on camera flash

That's not how I read it - but (I assume) as you have one, you'll know better than me lol (or did you mean the built in pop-up flash)

I would say since you're just starting photography do some research on Yongnuo Speedlight even pros use it I would say Yongnuo YN-560 II but it's up to you really

Why would I use aftermarket - I don't think it'll use TTL will it? Maybe ok for an off-camera flash but not the best (IMHO).

[edit] Seems I was correct, website states: "Note: YN-560 does not work on TTL mode"

Just as a side note: after reading the amazon reviews I may get one or two for back-up and/or studio use as they seem inexpensive enough. Now, where did I put those rechargeable batteries? lol

Last edited:
Sorry but I have another question:

Since the lenses I am getting are: EF-S 18-55mm IS II & EF-S 55-250mm IS II

What lens hood(s) would you recommend? I've heard that the 'petal' shaped lenses cause vignetting and also they rotate when the lens is focused (either manually or auto). With this in mind is a round hood better and has anyone got any experience with after-market ones that fit & function well?

Cheers,

Justin

Justin1971 said:
Sorry but I have another question:

Since the lenses I am getting are: EF-S 18-55mm IS II & EF-S 55-250mm IS II

What lens hood(s) would you recommend? I've heard that the 'petal' shaped lenses cause vignetting and also they rotate when the lens is focused (either manually or auto). With this in mind is a round hood better and has anyone got any experience with after-market ones that fit & function well?

Cheers,

Justin

The lens itself rotates as it is adjusted therefore the hood is going to rotate with it sense it is attached.

The lens itself rotates as it is adjusted therefore the hood is going to rotate with it sense it is attached.

Isn't that what I said :p :D, I knew the lens rotated so as per original post, can anyone recommend a round lens hood or are they pretty much the same (apart from fittings obviously). There are a few on amazon and also the original Canon ones don't seem overly expensive. :)

Last edited:
Justin1971 said:
Isn't that what I said :p :D, I knew the lens rotated so as per original post, can anyone recommend a round lens hood or are they pretty much the same (apart from fittings obviously). There are a few on amazon and also the original Canon ones don't seem overly expensive. :)

Oh sorry about that, I posted at 2am and must of miss read it. As far as a lens hood go, don't over think it. It's just a piece of plastic that blocks the light from coming in from the side. Shoot you could use your hand in a pinch.

Yes sorry I meant pop up flash built into camera

Yeah, I you-tubed it and found that out lol

Oh sorry about that, I posted at 2am and must of miss read it. As far as a lens hood go, don't over think it. It's just a piece of plastic that blocks the light from coming in from the side. Shoot you could use your hand in a pinch.

I agree but it also acts as a bit of protection too. My mum always said I should 'protect my equipment' :LOL:

Justin1971 said:
Yeah, I you-tubed it and found that out lol

I agree but it also acts as a bit of protection too. My mum always said I should 'protect my equipment' :LOL:

Yes that is true but it is still one of the least significant items you will buy for your camera. A u.v filter would serve as a better protector IMO on these type of lenses. Flare is not really a problem on the small glass.

Folks

Can you recommend a good piece of glass to go with this? Mainly for portrait work

I've read some L lenses work well with the 600 despite not being full frame. I was looking around the 15/18-50/80 range with a budget around £600 and below.

I was looking at the Sigma EX DG 24-70 mm F/2. As I saw that lens in action and I liked the results

Anything else that would better that? Or is there a prime any portrait photographers can recommend?

Last edited:
Folks

Can you recommend a good piece of glass to go with this? Mainly for portrait work

I've read some L lenses work well with the 600 despite not being full frame. I was looking around the 15/18-50/80 range with a budget around £600 and below.

I was looking at the Sigma EX DG 24-70 mm F/2. As I saw that lens in action and I liked the results

Anything else that would better that? Or is there a prime any portrait photographers can recommend?

Looks like you've got the same dilema as I do.
Kit lens isn't great compared to the nifty 50 and 55-250mm upgrades. Now I'm looking for something as a straight replacement for the 18-55mm.

Was considering the Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm

Back