Canon 600D Official Owners Thread - Anything 600D Related

For portrait work, the 85mm 1.8, if you've got deep pockets the f1.2!! But the f1.8 is excellent.

Looks like you've got the same dilema as I do.
Kit lens isn't great compared to the nifty 50 and 55-250mm upgrades. Now I'm looking for something as a straight replacement for the 18-55mm.

Was considering the Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm

I have done a lot of research on both and they're both have good reviews. It depends of how much you have if you have enough go for Sigma if not Tamron

I'm now a proud owner of a Canon 600D with standard kits lens + 50mm 1.8
Hello :D

Very Nice Emma - not jealous at all lol.

I'll be getting mine in a week or two. Opted for:
Canon 600D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I 16GB SD card (95MB/s)
Canon Speedlight 430EX-II.

All for the grand sum of £687.80

I can't wait, will be ordering it this Friday (pay-day lol) and so looking forward to Mr. Delivery driver.

What you bought it for Emma? Portraits, Landscapes or a bit of everything? :)

Last edited:
@nufflovetola, lol nikon loyalty? It's not illegal to have owned two brands, Just after much research I decided that the Canon 600d was right for me
@justin1971 Thanks! I mainly got that lens for sharp, low light Portrait shots, but I like doing all kinds of photography really, will invest in more lens in the future whenIve saved lol

@justin1971 Thanks! I mainly got that lens for sharp, low light Portrait shots, but I like doing all kinds of photography really, will invest in more lens in the future whenIve saved lol

Aye, t'is an expensive hobby - my wife just doesn't understand lol

Looks like you've got the same dilema as I do.
Kit lens isn't great compared to the nifty 50 and 55-250mm upgrades. Now I'm looking for something as a straight replacement for the 18-55mm.

Was considering the Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm

thankfully when i ordered the camera initially i went for the 18-135 (?) and a nifty 50

but i want better glass at close range i did hire a good piece of glass for a road trip but didnt get any studio shooting with it.

i've got a budget of around £200-250 so sigma seems the weapon of choice

i've had a look at the canon 17-55 2.8 and whilst it is stunning its £250 above my range - if it was £100-ish i'd have gone for it

Well, payday has arrived (along with some savings I've been making lol) and have just placed my order with a BACS payment to Panamoz.

I ordered:

Canon 600D
Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II
Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS II
Canon Speedlight 430EX-II
Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I (95MB/s) 16GB
1 Year Replacement Warranty

All for the price of £687.80 which is a great price I think.

They have just updated the website with a new price. The camera and 2 kit lens package has dropped by £3 but they no longer offer the 430EX-II Flash for £176 now so you would have to buy it separate at £196.00 so still a saving for me.

I'm one happy bunny now and just waiting for my favorite delivery driver to come-a-knocking :)

got my 600 d a few months ago i also got a 50mm f1.8 lens and a tamron 18-270mm lens the latter is a fantastic lens, i am now looking for a sigma 120-400mm lens for my wildlife photography

This photography lark is contagious. I haven't even got the camera yet and I've just bought 2 Canon lens hoods, 2 Hoya 58mm UV filters, 8 rechargeable AA batteries (for the speedlight) and a battery charger. There's another £80 gone in a puff lol.

Last edited:
Update: UPS website says delivery of camera & lenses should be today :)

One small gripe is: they sent the speedlight & memory card in a separate package, not a problem I hear you say! But yes they also sent it with a different courier (DHL) and that one has only just left Hong Kong!!! That means I'll have a camera but no flash or more importantly, no SD card for a day or 2.

I JUST WANNA PLAY!!!!!

I had the exact same problem my camera came but no 32GB mem card, I ended up going buying a cheap and cheerful 8GB one to keep me going til the other arrived! Enjoy your camera, I love my canon 600d its a beauty :)

got my 600 d a few months ago i also got a 50mm f1.8 lens and a tamron 18-270mm lens the latter is a fantastic lens, i am now looking for a sigma 120-400mm lens for my wildlife photography

I've been looking at the 18-270mm lens - does look nice but I won't be buying for a while, got other things to pay for soon (holiday :) and decorating :()

I also have the tamron 18-270, now I wouldn't call it a fantastic lens, it's a good general purpose walk about street lens when you want and need to travel light
It is ok in good light but hopeless in poor light and the IS is slow and jumps significantly, so much so you have to recompose the shot
It's alright for it's price in broad daylight

I had the exact same problem my camera came but no 32GB mem card, I ended up going buying a cheap and cheerful 8GB one to keep me going til the other arrived! Enjoy your camera, I love my canon 600d its a beauty :)

I did the same, I wanted to start shooting straight away so I bought an 8GB class 4 card from Tesco on the way home lol (cost about £6). It actually works very well - I was surprised.

I now have the 16GB card so the 8GB will be a spare / backup.

I've only had my camera a few days but really love it. Now the dilemma is do I go for a Macro Lens or a Landscape (10-20mm) lens???

Just looking at Colin Prior website I may go for the Landscape Lens :D

Very nice Dann,

I took some last night using bulb mode, exposures ranged from 1 to around 3 seconds. Only problem was, without a tripod I got a fair bit of camera shake. Hopefully I'll be getting a tripod for Christmas - already sent a letter to Santa :LOL:

Hey people, havent been here for a while, but i'm back now. I've just replaced my 350D with a shiney new 600D with the kit lens 18-55mm and a nice new Tamron 70-300mm, along with a 16gb Scan Disk Ultra Class 10 card all for £500 from Jessops.

Havent been able to test drive it much so far, but i'm really pleased with the results indoors taking the christmas tree and pics of the kids, images seem to be far better than the 350D.

Anything i should be looking out for with the 600? Loving it so far though and hoping to go out with a tripod tomorrow night to get some light trail photos on a bridge above the dual carriageway.

Hey people, havent been here for a while, but i'm back now. I've just replaced my 350D with a shiney new 600D with the kit lens 18-55mm and a nice new Tamron 70-300mm, along with a 16gb Scan Disk Ultra Class 10 card all for £500 from Jessops.

Havent been able to test drive it much so far, but i'm really pleased with the results indoors taking the christmas tree and pics of the kids, images seem to be far better than the 350D.

Anything i should be looking out for with the 600? Loving it so far though and hoping to go out with a tripod tomorrow night to get some light trail photos on a bridge above the dual carriageway.

Hey welcome and great buy, I think if you should invest in any lens for a start its the Canon 50mm 1.8 its knocked down to £77 on amazon and I cant tell you enough how lovely the shots are it takes, it blurs all the back lights and imo was made for christmas lol, It truly is a bargain at that price :)

heres the link

Hey welcome and great buy, I think if you should invest in any lens for a start its the Canon 50mm 1.8 its knocked down to £77 on amazon and I cant tell you enough how lovely the shots are it takes, it blurs all the back lights and imo was made for christmas lol, It truly is a bargain at that price :)

heres the link

Thank you i might well look at that or get Santa to. Excuse my ignorance here but what sort of stuff would that lens normally be used for? I am getting into photography a lot now but really am ignorant to the uses for a lot of the lenses out and about. haha.

Im still learning all about which lenses are good for what too, my friends brother in law is a professional photographer and when I got my 600D he recommended the 50mm 1.8 mainly for portraits, he basically sent me a folder with pics he had taken with it with no filters or adjustments and they just looked stunning, Im debating wether to get the 50mm 1.4 next year or the 35mm, Im uploading some pics shortly so you can check them out there :)

Ah ok, so it doesn't change focal length its just set but still needs to move slightly to focus of course. (Suddenly the penny drops). I have done a lot of motorsport photography with the 350D this year and hope to next year with the new one, however i do take a lot of the kids and fancy a go at macro stuff, leaves insects and the like. I'll look out for your posting.

Yeah so you have to be the zoom really and move around for a good shot, its just a great and cheap lens for general close ups of family and pets and Ive done a few ok macros with it too

cyberchickgeek said:
Yeah so you have to be the zoom really and move around for a good shot, its just a great and cheap lens for general close ups of family and pets and Ive done a few ok macros with it too

I have a 50mm 1.8 and its a good lens but personally I never use it. I find the focal length a bit long. I would like to try out both the 35mm and the 24mm 1.4. I heard the 24 is second to none. I think that focal length would work well for me.

same here Shayne ive got the nifty fifty and for the same reasons I never use it. its still as new and getting no use at all.

And I would third that sentiment, the 50 is just awkward on a crop, especially for indoor use. I've bought and sold a fifty twice now, for a similar idea and a slightly wider perspective I think the 35mm f2 is far better, or even the 28mm f1.8 if you want.

I think the idea that everyone has to have a 50 is an old fashioned throw back to film cameras.

Last edited:
I just think its a decent 1st lens to have and for £77 it is a snatch! But I know what you mean you are limited to what shots u can take with it, I'm currently watching the 35mm 1.8 and 1.4 and also a 28mm 1.8 amongst many others in my amazon wishlist lol

Hi

Have a 600D coupled with these..

Canon 70-200 L f4
Canon 28-105 USM II f3.5-4.5
Canon 18-55 IS USM f3.5-f4.5
Sigma 10-20 f4
Canon 50 f1.8
Canon 28 f2.8

Struggling to decide if I really need another lens. I do portraiture and landscapes, some wildlife. Feel if I was to get ''just one more'' lens , it would (probs) be to replace the 18-55 kit lens. Budget about 500-750

Any suggestions and why?

TIA

Pete

Last edited:
That price range would get you a 17-55 f2.8 which is a cracking lens. Or if you want a bit more range but a slower lens then the 15-85 gets decent reviews, but I've never personally used one.

Yeah I totally agree the 17-55mm 2.8 is an amazing lens, it pricey considering its not an L lens but still very worth it! I think its £749 on amazon at the moment :)

Back