Canon 600D Official Owners Thread - Anything 600D Related

Hi all, I've been away from here for a while but just starting to re-ignite my photography passion (been too busy with work and stuff just lately but slowly things are getting back to a steady pace). I have been taking a few pics but not as many as I would like.

I still have my 2 kit lenses and am looking at getting rid of them as they aren't giving me the quality I want.

I was going to go down the super wide angle (10-20) as I love taking landscape shots but to be honest I think a more versatile lens would suit me - my budget is around the £400 mark so any help/advise would be greatly appreciated - my head is spinning from all the lens types and reviews...

Possibly looking at the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC OS HSM at around £350

I've also just got a variable Circular ND filter (free with a magazine subscription) so am looking forward to using that (had to get a step up ring though as it's 77mm and my 18-50 is only 58mm)

The Canon 15-85mm would get my vote.

Yeah, looks good but a bit out of my price range at the moment...

on a plus note, a friend of mine has offered me a borrow of his Tokina 11-16 - looking forward to giving that a test...

Last edited:
Just borrowed a Tokina 11-16 off a friend, haven't had a proper play with it yet but first impressions are a good quality solid (quite heavy) lens. Feels 10 times sturdier than my 18-55 kit lens.

I've also just bought a Sigma 24 -70MM (3.5-5.6) lens off ebay for £25. I figured at that price even if I don't rate it I can get my money back (plus maybe a small profit).

**Mod edit**
Classifieds are the place to sell no where else

Last edited by a moderator:
**Mod edit**
Classifieds are the place to sell no where else
[/QUOTE]

Sorry mods, at least now I know :)

Well just joined the club :) upgraded/downgraded (depending on which way you look) from a 5D mark 1. Just had a lot of money i couldn't justify in a full frame set-up so back to crop for me.

Nice touches though, live view again, bigger/better LCD with flippy-ness, and can get higher ISO's as well as auto ISO... now to get out and take some pictures!

Just borrowed a Tokina 11-16 off a friend, haven't had a proper play with it yet but first impressions are a good quality solid (quite heavy) lens. Feels 10 times sturdier than my 18-55 kit lens.

I've also just bought a Sigma 24 -70MM (3.5-5.6) lens off ebay for £25. I figured at that price even if I don't rate it I can get my money back (plus maybe a small profit).

Well, a bit of a long story with the Sigma 24-70 - it never turned up but I got a refund (seller claimed it was lost in post - but didn't have a proof of postage - hmmm, really?)

So now I am in exactly same position but this time I am looking to get a EF50mm 1.8 Mk II - cheap prime lens but for around £70 can't go wrong and again, wouldn't loose much if I ever decide to go for the 1.4 or some other lens...

Looking forward to getting my firs EF lens and getting out and using my feet more than just zooming when taking pics - hopefully it will teach me to 'look' for photo's more rather than just point and shoot.

On an additional note, I just got a booking for a wedding photo shoot in September 2014, obviously I will require back up equipment so will be on the lookout soon for a cheap second hand camera and (maybe) a couple of additional lenses - my friend will lend me his Tokina 11-16 if I need it for the group shots and any indoor shots.

This will be my second paid job to date - I'm currently taking photo's of small mirrors for disco lighting effects for a small business in Hull - not a big payer but it all helps. Just for info, I'm charging £800 for the wedding shoot (including album and all images on a DVD or USB stick).

Looking forward to it and also gets some more pics for my portfolio and website (when I finally get round to sorting it lol). After that, it's wedding fayres and hopfully a full time career :)

After selling my 600D back in may, I've just bought another for my partner and as a backup for me should I need it :)

i just bought a Canon EF50mm 1.8 with some money from xmas - happy so far - it's very bright.

On a side note, I'm looking to go full frame soon, can't quite afford a 5d Mkiii so looking at a 6D with 24-105 L lens - looking forward to that...

That's the transition I made Justin.. You'll love the 6D :)

Justin i now have the 6D its great!... seems like ages since i started this tread and had a 600D :)

After some deliberation (and probably a lot more to come) I think I may go for the 5dMkIII with the 24-105L lens - I can get a brand new one (albeit imported) for just over £2k (yes with the lens as well). I got my 600D from the same place and have had no issues with it at all - I will be keeping the 600D as a back up to whichever full frame I decide on though....

I moved to the 6D rather than the 5D mkIII purely due to cost and that I probably wouldn't tell any difference at my level

I moved to the 6D rather than the 5D mkIII purely due to cost and that I probably wouldn't tell any difference at my level

Fair enough and if I was just aiming at an amatuer then I would go for the 6d, but there's a few things swaying me, namely dual memory card slots and more AF points. I wouldn't pay the full retail price for one and on Panamoz, the 5dmkII (with lens) is around £600 more than the 6d with the same lens. But still a way to go until I can afford either but hopefully in a 3-4 months time I will make the decision (who know's, the might bring out a 5dMkIV and sell MkIII's at silly low prices soon) :ROFLMAO:

Just for info (may help some users make a decision) I got a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 a couple of months ago - for under £100 (including hood) I think it's a great buy - certainly enough bokeh for me and perfect for head & shoulders portraits.

I recently purchased a Canon EF24-105mm L IS USM lens but it hasn't arrived yet - to say I'm excited is an understatement - my first (but hopefully not last) 'L' series lens :)

Help! can some tell me how to get the histgram to display in live mode whilst filming or is this not possible. I've spent hours trying to find any instruction for enabling this in the manual or the net.:confused: Or is this not possible??

well after some serious head-spinning I've come to the conclusion 6D is the way to go (for me) - to buy the 5d Mkiii I would have had to sell my 600D but I think it's best to have a backup camera.

So... I have ordered a 6D, Speedlight 600EX-RT, 2 x 32 GB sd cards all for just over £1200
Also just purchased a 3rd party Battery grip + 2 Batteries and a 77mm Hoya UV filter.

All due in the next week-or-so. It will feel like Christmas has come early lol - really looking forward to giving FF a full try out with my 24-105L lens.

Note to self : STOP SPENDING... - ooh, an intervalometer - that looks good........

Well I have stopped spending for a while - luckily one of my step-daughters bought me an intervalometer for Christmas, so far only used it as a remote trigger release for long exposures but looks easy to use and looking forward to taking some time-lapse photography in the near future. Also picked up another wedding shoot in September - this will be my 2nd wedding shoot so far but this time I have the re-assurance of a back up camera in the form of my 600d. Charging £750 for this shoot which is more than enough for me (it's a work friend so knocked a bit off the price)

Probably considered a vintage camera now LOL.
Think mine has 100,000+ on the clock and still going, though not used so much these days.

We've had ours about 4 years now and it's been all over the shop.
Never had any issues with it at all and still takes good shots with 100k+ on the clock!

We've had ours about 4 years now and it's been all over the shop.
Never had any issues with it at all and still takes good shots with 100k+ on the clock!

Yup, good reliable piece of kit that still produces decent images.

Back