Canon 60D

I cant see who it is aimed at.40D and 50D users will move up the 7D route To keep with professional quality.

So who will be the target for the 60D.
There also has to be room for compact interchangeable lens cameras.

It looks like the 60D will have a very small market place.

Yes but it will have a place, by introducing the 7D and downgrading the XXD series, Canon have made a very shrewd marketing move, adding another rung on the ladder to the 1D series has made it less of a hardship to upgrade and if you miss a series on the way its better for them too ;)

Not too keen on this one. I'd save a little bit extra for the 7D. I think Warehouse Express is taking pre-orders on these at about £1200.00. Now that it's a plastic body and SD card, the weight and size will no doubt have a different feel now. I don't like the shape in general :D

Ive been waiting for the 60d, mm plastic body, sd cards, dont know what to think now 7d or not, I do like the swivelling screen as said it would be good for low level shots,

Prices, advertised price is 1,099 for body only, 1,399 with 18-135, and thats from cameraworld, who are quite good on prices, though its bound to drop a little when they're in stock.

The screen will be fine, its very similar to the one on the G11,I found it pretty sturdy and very handy. Though in all honesty live view isn't that grand when you find you are stuck with a single metering mode.

To me there are few advantages in getting it, ok so I double the fastest shutter speed, get a slightly higher frame rate and a single custom mode as well as 3MP on the sensor and better noise handling but thats about it.

It seems to me that they didn't want anything coming out that would push them to update the 7D and that is just really minor tweeks over a 550D.

Last edited:
As a 40D user, the xxD line is now dead as far as I'm concerned and my only viable upgrade path is the 7D.

That's probably what the marketing types want - people to spend, spend, spend and upgrade.

Yep, the 9-point AF is woeful in terms of spec for that prive, and a plastic body isn't really p to much. But it has video and a flip-out screen, something the richer newcomers will probably like. I don't think the flip-out screen makes you look like a numpty BTW....

Anyone thinking this was supposed to be semi-pro is deluded.... Canon has clearly set out it's semi-pro range as the 5D and 7D and then you have the consumer models; xxD for those with a bit more dosh, xxxD for those who want value for money....

Bit of a disappointment in my eyes, certainly not an upgrade option for me!

As previously mentioned, for an additional £100, the 7D is a no-brainer really.

There are some brilliant deals to be had on the 7D now, I just don't see any reason to choose this over either the 7D, I'd rather keep the second Digic and build quality.
If saving some money is the issue I'd rather have the 550D.

It will be interesting to see what the ergomonics are actually like in the hand, it may be made from plastic but it could still be a good step up from the XXXD series. If the prices settle down to similar money to the 50D then it could still be a good upgrade from the 550D without the extra expense of the 7D.

Still, I wont be rushing to change my 50D for one, I just dont like the look of the screen, the use of SD cards and the removal of Micro-Adjust

Seems to me that they've removed one of the key features of the XXD range - notoably the better build quality. This strikes me as an addition to the XXXD range.

It doesn't strike me as a camera that existing XXD users would be keen to swap onto.

Although I'm prepared to be proved wrong on that!

Now that they seem to have 'downgraded' the XXD range, maybe they'll scrap the XXXD range. They also need to do something with the 1000D as well, it doesn't really fit in anywhere - it's just a poor man's 450D :wacky:

Well im glad I didnt hang around and wait for the 60D and instead bought a 50D last month!

I can see what canon are trying to do, they want to move the raft of users that are on the xxD bodies up a notch when they upgrade so they buy into the single digit camera series.

as it is the 60D is simply a slightly more featureful 550D, retaining its plastic body, HD capabilities and shoving in a tilting screeen as well.

I'm glad I got fedup waiting for the 60D and bought a 7D. If the choice was 40D or 60D now I'd be keeping my old body.
I'll not be surprised if we see a small jump in the second hand xxD body market :LOL:

At last the replacement for the 50d!!! WEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!....................................................PLOP!!

That's me finally seriously considering Nikon now...

Your 40D hasn't suddenly become an obsolete camera overnight. Unless you don't like it for some valid reason (and there some).

-----------

Personally, 40D is the last XXD series camera I own.

I won't be spending cash on the new body too soon either. The only goodies I consider would be 5D mkII and 1DIII in a distant future.

On a different note, I can't wait for Nikon to release a much improved D90 that trashes 60D.

Last edited:
I'm far from impressed, a plastic body rather than metal on a XXD model?
Priced too closely to the 7D?
Me thinks Canon have lost the plot..

I was thinking about saving up for this instead of the 7D, looks like there isn't really a point.

Stupid question, is this replacing the 7D?

I'm far from impressed, a plastic body rather than metal on a XXD model?
Priced too closely to the 7D?
Me thinks Canon have lost the plot..

Me too, especially with some of the new lenses they released, not interested in any of that crap :LOL:

I was thinking about saving up for this instead of the 7D, looks like there isn't really a point.

Stupid question, is this replacing the 7D?

Nope,it sits under it but Canon have this habit of over pricing new models at first, this should come down in time but why buy it with the 7d at the price they are at the mo.Hopefully the 7d wont see a price hike.

I personally cant see the point in this camera, 550d will do 98% of what the 60d can do and with no MA it just doesnt tick hardly any boxes for me.
A step up would have been autofocus in movie mode for the video guys out there but there doesnt seem to be any advancement there either.

Last edited:
Personally, 40D is the last XXD series camera I own.

I won't be spending cash on the new body too soon either. The only goodies I consider would be 5D mkII and 1DIII in a distant future.
Totally agree.. I know Canon's primary goal is to flog cameras, but I'm really getting sick of all this faddish consumer pleasing crap that's appearing on their bodies now - video, a billion noisey pixels and now the amateurish looking swivel screen.

Also a bit sad that they've "dumbed down" the glorious xxD series, although I can see how it might benefit them through increased choice within the range and better comparability to Nikon equivalents. Still can't see it selling too well, though..

Nothing in their current crop body lineup appeals to me whatsoever :thumbsdown:

tbh this is only going to be an issue when people upgrade, ive hopefully got many years of happy motoring with my 50D and only then will canons current line up become an issue!

Its not as easy as that though, all depends on how much canon equipment you have and could you afford a complete swap over to nikon?

It's no longer a question of what I can or can't afford, but how much confidence i have in a manufacturer. My confidence in Canon has slowly been ebbing away, typically because of alarmingly increasing QA issues and failures. If they are now taking the P by marketing a hobby model camera at semi pro prices then I have to question my brand loyalty on top.

Your 40D hasn't suddenly become an obsolete camera overnight. Unless you don't like it for some valid reason (and there some).

I realise that. What will be interesting is whether this ludicrous move by canon shores up or undermines the secondhand value of the 40D.

Let's not make this a brand versus brand debate though. I'm just saying this release is another nail in the coffin for Canon from my perspective.

What will be interesting is whether this ludicrous move by canon shores up or undermines the secondhand value of the 40D.

If anything 50D will be more affected. 40D and even 30D have been quite stable for a while around £400 and £300 each - not that much considering the RRP.

I initially chose a 40D because it was slightly larger and better built than the 400D and was a lot of camera for the money. Based on the specs I've seen these qualities will be reduced or lost on the 60D. It will probably sell very well and will appeal to the consumer market therefore reaffirming Canon's decision but on the surface it looks like enthusiasts' choices are dwindling.

I was originally waiting for the 60D to be announced and planned to get a 50D when prices subsequently dropped, then the 7D was announced instead. Glad I stretched and got the 7D and didn't wait for the 60D. Apart from the Articulated screen it doesn't seem to offer anything much over a 550D.

It's no longer a question of what I can or can't afford, but how much confidence i have in a manufacturer. My confidence in Canon has slowly been ebbing away, typically because of alarmingly increasing QA issues and failures. If they are now taking the P by marketing a hobby model camera at semi pro prices then I have to question my brand loyalty on top.

I realise that. What will be interesting is whether this ludicrous move by canon shores up or undermines the secondhand value of the 40D.

Let's not make this a brand versus brand debate though. I'm just saying this release is another nail in the coffin for Canon from my perspective.

Are you suggesting that Canon are about to die due to the release of one camera? Is that not a bit over the top?

I have a 40D and am increadably happy with it, only camera i would want is a 5DII. Canon can release what ever they want, they have a huge marketng and research dept and am sure they have done the research and I can bet you whatever you like the 60D will sell, its what top companies do they make a product that people want.

Look at Apple, they manage to bring out a new phone each year which to be honest doesn't change that much and yet they sell. If you dont like it don't buy it but ask yourself whats wrong with the camera you have that has just occured to you cause of a new release?

Just reading the specs I didn't think those waiting to upgrade from the 50D or lower would be impressed.

Seems like Canon will be gaining all the benefits, not much more camera than the 550D for more money, and those that want a proper upgrade will go for the 7D. Canon win whatever. :shrug: I don't think many will want to, or be able to, switch to another brand.

I don't think a reduction in features is a good move. :( They could/should have slightly increased the features over the 50D, it would still not have as good a body as the 50D/7D. :bonk:

I thought the 7D was an odd move, if not only from a model numbering point of view, and maybe that should have been the 50D replacement.

Makes little difference to me, though I have an interest in the technology of all the cameras as the manufacturers push each other to improve . I don't think Nikon would have to do much with a possible D90 replacement to match or better the 60D imho.

I just keep looking over the specs and still cant fathom it. When i first made a move to a DSLR i chose the 400d, great little camera but left me wanting a little so moved to the 40d. The 400d's shoes now seems to be filled with the 1000d so id be looking at the 550d as an upgrade if i were to buy now.
550d not good enough??? Well my next move would have been to the magnesium 7d and away from the baby 7d. The 60d seems to be a no mans land of a camera, the attractive young blond that looks like Cameron Diaz in the club, out in the bright light of day she starts to look like her mum and i aint talking milf.

60d..Canon's answer to the bendy bus.

Last edited:
Quite odd timing, the 550D is now being advertised on TV but on the face of it the new 60D seems to be treading on its toes. I wondered if or where Canon would place the 60, clearly an upgrade from a 30/40/50 would place it alongside the 7D (which should have been a 1 or 1.3 crop to line up with the other xD series bodies) which would have made no sense. The position for the 60D makes more sense now and seems to indicate that serious amateurs will move or be pushed into xD body shells. The 5D and the 7D being the obvious choices. I'm glad the 60D is such a dissapointment, makes the choice of a replacement body much easier and realistically only the 5D is now tempting in the price/performace debate. Awaiting the 5D Mk3 with much interest.

Matt

Me too, especially with some of the new lenses they released, not interested in any of that crap :LOL:

I wish you hadn't mentioned new lenses!
70-300L IS f/4 <---- drool

I wish you hadn't mentioned new lenses!
70-300L IS f/4 <---- drool

f/4-5.6 you mean. Be interesting to see how this compares to the 70-200 f/4 with 1.4x convertor, both in quality and price

f/4-5.6 you mean. Be interesting to see how this compares to the 70-200 f/4 with 1.4x convertor, both in quality and price

This is easy - 70-200mm will be far better to 200mm and at f/4.

70-300mm will be better at 280-300mm f/5.6. I'd rather get 300mm f4 on top of 70-200mm.

Canon are simply re-aligning their range, and as others have noticed, they are now in direct competition with Nikon.

If you think the xxxD -> xxD -> xD steps are bad from Canon, look at Nikon! The stepup from a D3100, D5000 and D60 (xxxD) to D90 (xxD) involves not just changes to high ISO performance and size, but an internal focusing motor! :D

So, we now have crop cameras (Warehouse express prices):

--------------
1000D + kit lens - £349.00 (D500 to come down to this price level?)
D3000 + kit lens - £339.00 (D3100 to come down to this price level?)
--------------

--------------
500D body - £439.00 (550D to come down to this price level?)
D5000 body - £455.00
--------------

--------------
** D3100 body - £499.00 (this will surely come down and replace D3000) **
--------------

--------------
550D body - £609.00 (60D to come down to this price level?)
D90 body - £638.00
--------------

--------------
7D body - £1195.00
D300s body - £1129.99
--------------

--------------
** 50D body - £1099.00 (not sure what will happen here!)
** 60D body - £1099.00 (this will surely come down and replace 550D) **
--------------

Just been reading what people are saying on other forums :)eek: yes they do exist, but not as good ;)) and a chap said that Canon seems to be organising their line up to match Nikon more accurately, with the 60D closer to the Nikon D90. This kind of makes sense with the D90 being the best selling DSLR in Japan, with 13% of the market. :eek: You'd think they'd try to better the D90 by a lot though, seeing as a replacement for that camera is on the horizon. :bonk:

It would be if that is what I suggested. I don't believe it was...

Does "I'm just saying this release is another nail in the coffin for Canon from my perspective." not refer to sumthing about to die?

Its not a big deal, I was simply saying that it was a bit of an over reaction. If you were suggesting that Canon wasn't going to be your choice in the future thats a different matter.

Last edited:
Does "I'm just saying this release is another nail in the coffin for Canon from my perspective." not refer to sumthing about to die?

yep - my brand loyalty.

Its not a big deal, I was simply saying that it was a bit of an over reaction. If you were suggesting that Canon wasn't going to be your choice in the future thats a different matter.

No over-reaction on my part. Just something you appreciated some clarity over. All is good :)

I'm frankly amazed at the number of people stating that they'd never buy a plastic camera.

This makes no sense at all to me. You guys must be a marketing departments dream.

Still, you pay your money and make your choice.

Back