Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Brilliant thanks so much, was bugging me!

No problems. I bought a Lexar 120mb/s card to go with my 7Dii and it had a write speed of just 30mb/s. Sent it back and bought a Sandisk 120mb/s one and that still only manages 50mb/s.

Not sure whether to just use the Sandisk SD card that will manage 90!

I've got two 90mbs sandisk sd's so was thinking I'd be upgrading to a cf for speed but think i'll try my sd cards first then.
It was the 120mb/s lexar I was looking at so you've put me off those haha.

My Lexar 1066x speed CF gets 120-130 mb/s in my Lexar USB 3 reader so they can definitely go faster

Yeah that was reading but I just tested writing to it and got similar speeds. I copied a 3GB file and got 122-123MB/s throughout.
That's very interesting, looks like lexars quality control might vary a bit. I'll probably order one and test it out myself and get a 1000x sd card to run in there as a back up too.

That's very interesting, looks like lexars quality control might vary a bit. I'll probably order one and test it out myself and get a 1000x sd card to run in there as a back up too.

This is the first Lexar card I've had and also the first CF card I've had since I've just had Sandisk SD cards before this. I'm assuming yours wasn't bought from ebay or something where it might be fake?

This is the first Lexar card I've had and also the first CF card I've had since I've just had Sandisk SD cards before this. I'm assuming yours wasn't bought from ebay or something where it might be fake?

Got mine from Amazon, so I doubt it was fake. Read speed was 110mb/s though. I returned it on the basis they advertised it would be able to record 1080p.

Got mine from Amazon, so I doubt it was fake. Read speed was 110mb/s though. I returned it on the basis they advertised it would be able to record 1080p.

What speeds do you think you need for that? Unless you're recording RAW video (which I would imagine you're not) then you don't really need much in the way of speed to cope with that. Rapid fire RAW still shots would generate a lot of data than video from pretty much any camera unless there's no compression.

120 megabytes per second is pretty damn quick when it comes to external storage unless you start talking about SSDs or something.

Last edited:
What speeds do you think you need for that? Unless you're recording RAW video (which I would imagine you're not) then you don't really need much in the way of speed to cope with that. Rapid fire RAW still shots would generate a lot of data than video from pretty much any camera unless there's no compression.

120 megabytes per second is pretty damn quick when it comes to external storage unless you start talking about SSDs or something.

I know, I was just slightly cheesed off at having paid £40 for a card which performed worse than one of the cheap cards I've bought... The software I used said it wouldn't sustain 1080p so that seemed a fitting excuse to return it.

Anyway, doubtful I will use the video that much, although I wouldn't mind having a go at it.

It's a shame Canon did not implement the UHS-II standard for the SD card slot :( This allows transfer rates of up to 300 mb/s

I know, I was just slightly cheesed off at having paid £40 for a card which performed worse than one of the cheap cards I've bought... The software I used said it wouldn't sustain 1080p so that seemed a fitting excuse to return it.

Anyway, doubtful I will use the video that much, although I wouldn't mind having a go at it.

Yeah sounds a bit weird :| If it's that slow then I wouldn't want to use it for stills either as the buffer would take years to clear lol

Am I right in presuming if running dual cards that the camera will write them both at the same speed so if the sd is much slower than the cf the camera will slow down to match the sd? If that makes sense?

Am I right in presuming if running dual cards that the camera will write them both at the same speed so if the sd is much slower than the cf the camera will slow down to match the sd? If that makes sense?
It's not so much that it has to write to both cards at the same speed but it still has to complete the task to empty the buffer so one slow card will lengthen the clearance time.

Last edited:
It's not so much that it has to write to both cards at the same speed but it still has to complete the task to empty the buffer so one slow card will lengthen the clearance time.
Maybe running the faster cf card for raw files and the slower sd just as a JPEG backup would overcome this?

Writing less data requires less time so anything that reduces the file size will reduce the buffer clearance time.

Bob

Maybe running the faster cf card for raw files and the slower sd just as a JPEG backup would overcome this?

It's possible but it would depend on where the bottleneck is - either with the buffer or the interface to the memory card. If the CF and SD cards share the same bandwidth then writing to two cards at once could slow things down whereas if they each have their own connections and if the buffer memory can be read quick enough then it would be faster to have RAW to CF and JPEG to SD.

I'm not familiar with how it's configured so it's hard to say!

I think i'll stick with my sd cards for a little while, a CF would mean me buying a new card reader anyway so i'll see what it's like with my SD's at the WEC in a few weeks time.

I found that the other day too but closed the tab and forgot to post the link. Certainly makes the lexar cards a good option. I've downloaded the manual for the camera which says even if running dual cards one RAW and JPEG on the slower card it will slow both cards to the same speed. So need to both be as fast as each other really.

Interesting read, I don't understand why Canon did not implement the UHS-II standard in this camera, SD cards were available from February last year, well before the launch of the 7D Mk2.

A good example is the Toshiba UHS-II card, in the test it only worked at about 70 mb/s in the camera (due to restriction of UHS-I) however when used to transfer data in a UHS-II reader, it ran at 207mb/s.

Whilst the subject is about memory cards, what size cards are people using with the 7d mk2? I guess it's better to have 2 x 32GB cards rather than 1 x 64GB ?

Whilst the subject is about memory cards, what size cards are people using with the 7d mk2? I guess it's better to have 2 x 32GB cards rather than 1 x 64GB ?

32gb CF card and a spare 16gb, 1100 shots is more than enough for me.

I always try to have one card that's large enough for a full day's shooting (plus another card or two - just in case). In 17 years of shooting with CF cards I've never had one fail. I have, however, lost cards (put them somewhere 'safe', fell out of pocket, etc.). I have never lost a card that was in the camera.

Much better to have all your eggs in one safe, secure, basket than to attempt to juggle several baskets of eggs.

All irrelevant now according to this lol

Hahaha, there should be some very decent price drops on MkII's coming up soon then :D

Well, I have no regrets about buying mine on first release at full price (no deposit and no interest and 12 monthly payments) - It is taking me 4 months to get really familiar with it. Cameras are like complex computers nowadays! I am loving my 7D2 and moved from a 70D.

Got mine at the show yesterday very pleased even had enough for a new speedlight.
Enjoying the show to

Ordered mine after a bit of a long wait from Panamoz.... Looking forward to figuring out the AF system on it... When I say looking forward!! :runaway::help:

Just ordered one from portusdigital - comes with a free lowepro stealth bag. Will be a nice addition to my 6D :)

anyone using a third party battery grip with their mk2? if so how is it and which one :)

Had a superb day out with mine yesterday (Gannets In flight at Bempton) and happy to report back 90%+ keepers and most of the misses were my fault :)

Good to hear Neil. I'm still trying to get used to it in low light. My main issue is with ISO noise. In fine weather it is very capable but as the light dims I reach for my 1DX and 500+1.4.

Have had some nice shots with the MkII and the 100-400 MkII though. It's a very capable combo and easy to carry though am thinking of getting a cotton carriers chest mount for it so that I can carry it securely whilst I've got my 1DX and 500 with me.

What was the verdict about using LP-E6's as opposed to LP-E6n's in the mark 2's? How many shots on average are people loosing by using them?

Back