Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Lens and settings please, Glen?....:)

^ ^ ^ :plus1: And particularly which AF Case settings you used, please.

Very good sharp shot :)

Lens and settings please, Glen?....:)

^ ^ ^ :plus1: And particularly which AF Case settings you used, please.

Very good sharp shot :)

Thanks guys and can tell you some off the top of my head but ISO etc will have to wait till im home.

Lens was a 400 f5.6 and i am sure it was at f5.6 as i was shooting through the fence for this as my accreditation is only for BSB.

A/F was case 3 which is the same as i use on my 1DX and at its base settings.

Single point A/F set off centre but still in central group.

Was very impressed with the A/F which coped very well but not as snappy as the 1DX but never expected it to be at this price point but at a quarter of the price you get more than half the performance of the 1DX.

ISO seems a slight step up but the noise isnt as harsh and easy to deal with in LR5 along with an impressive screen and great layout of controls its a sensible upgrade.

Would say that it seems to make the bokeh of the 400 f5.6 look terible though unlike the 1DX and earlier 7D but did see some shots from a friend that has a 400 f2.8 and they looked fantasic.Not sure if the newer lenses with better performance on the old MTF charts will help but would think that there might be a point with sensors soon that they will need the best glass so am looking forward to trying out my friends new 100-400 once he gets it.

I've been experimenting running some higher ISO RAW files through Dfine 2 that comes as part of the Nik collection. Integrated into LR and PS it works quite well. seems to do a better job on higher ISO files than LR without losing as much detail.

Must admit haven't tried any NR yet, will do when new body arrives, I use noiseware (Imagenomic) which I find very good.........but seldom have to on the 1 Dx.

Whilst we're mentioning NR software......

I use DeNoise from Topaz Labs.....can be run as a plugin or with their own FXLab. Very controllable and does a good job with 1Dx Tiff's.

Bob

Whilst we're mentioning NR software......

I use DeNoise from Topaz Labs.....can be run as a plugin or with their own FXLab. Very controllable and does a good job with 1Dx Tiff's.

Bob

On the subject of noise, just recorded a 97 mph gust on my anemometer .......really wild up here in the North of Scotland!!

On the subject of noise, just recorded a 97 mph gust on my anemometer .......really wild up here in the North of Scotland!!
Lunch on the terrace in shorts and T-shirt isn't something you'll be wanting to hear about then, George?

Bob

Lunch on the terrace in shorts and T-shirt isn't something you'll be wanting to hear about then, George?

Bob
erm, not really, Bob, it's the worst Ive seen in 27 years, still gusting to 95 after 1 hr and not forecast to die down till 9pm, not pleasant!!.......but the outer isles must be worse!!

A few more non-wildlife shots:

70-200II, 1/800th, f2.8, ISO800

18-135 STM, 1/60th, f5.6, ISO100

18-135 STM, 1/500th, f5, ISO400

100-400II, 1/800th, f5.6, ISO1250

100-400II with 1.4TC, 1/500th, f8, ISO500

100-400II, 1/50th, f13, ISO100

And finally a birdie one:
100-400II, 1/500th, f5.6, ISO400

I do very much love this camera.

Quite tempted to get myself one of these. Good to see some motorsport stuff in here, always good to see how it handles in your own field so to speak. Snappy/accurate AF is key for me, especially as often shooting at 2.8 or F4 with a 1.4TC.

Quite tempted to get myself one of these. Good to see some motorsport stuff in here, always good to see how it handles in your own field so to speak. Snappy/accurate AF is key for me, especially as often shooting at 2.8 or F4 with a 1.4TC.

If we cross paths at BSB and you still have not tried or got one Az then stick your lens and a spare card on my one and have a go.

I managed a couple of hours yesterday with the camera and a Tamron 150-600, both new to me so there's a lot to learn. It became clear that the long lens technique needs to be worked on with this combo, but overall I am pleased. Any thoughts and comments are welcome. I have posted a thread in the birds section too linky.

8Q2A0742_Nuthatch_15-03-18 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

C & C Welcome

Last edited:
Nice one, Trev, but the bird has a slightly worried look on it's face?

I did some tests over the last few days to check battery life, with the following results...

standard battery pack.....after 330 shots, 32% remaining....about what we expect from previous posts some time ago.

The interesting one, however, was with the battery pack fitted with 6x enloop pro batteries......620 shots.....so an excellent backup system!!

...And thanks to Gaz J (Gary) for that tip!!

Last edited:
I've been quite pleased with the battery life so far, of course it all depends on the usage. On Saturday the wife and I shot an obstacle race, she had the 7DII and I used the 1DX. In total she used 2 full batteries and 54% of a 3rd (1 Canon E6N, 1 Canon E6 and a 7Dayshop 1600Mah), and took 9870 shots which works out to be around 3900 per battery.

Mind you, I took just over 7900 with the 1DX and finished the day with about half the battery left.

I've been quite pleased with the battery life so far, of course it all depends on the usage. On Saturday the wife and I shot an obstacle race, she had the 7DII and I used the 1DX. In total she used 2 full batteries and 54% of a 3rd (1 Canon E6N, 1 Canon E6 and a 7Dayshop 1600Mah), and took 9870 shots which works out to be around 3900 per battery.

Mind you, I took just over 7900 with the 1DX and finished the day with about half the battery left.

Scott....3900 on a battery????? that's 10x what I'm getting, and the 1 Dx will give me about 100-1200.....have you addad an extra "0" in your excitement??....:)

Scott....3900 on a battery????? that's 10x what I'm getting, and the 1 Dx will give me about 100-1200.....have you addad an extra "0" in your excitement??....:)

This is the battery that is still in the camera, and it's a 1600Mah £6 cheapy.

Unfortunately I've already recharged the other batteries inc the 1DXs.

Don't forget though, this is burst shooting about 6-10 frames in a go, no GPS and only a small amount of chimping.

Last edited:
I did some tests over the last few days to check battery life, with the following results...

standard battery pack.....after 330 shots, 32% remaining....about what we expect from previous posts some time ago.

The interesting one, however, was with the battery pack fitted with 6x enloop pro batteries......620 shots.....so an excellent backup system!!

...And thanks to Gaz J (Gary) for that tip!!
That might make me think twice about getting a grip, up to now I haven't felt the need. I had one on my mk I but invariably just kept a spare battery in my pocket and the grip at home.
Regarding the battery life, I haven't done a proper test, but have noticed (as has been said before), that the mk II is markedly far heavier on batteries than the mk I. I could get a full days shooting usually from one battery, that's around maybe 600 shots, and still have heaps of battery left on the mk I, the mk II doesn't approach that, but it makes up for that in so many other ways.

Had a full day using it yesterday in absolutely grim conditions. Overall quite impressed with how it managed, only a couple of times it failed to achieve focus on a stationary object though in single point, that said it was a grey plane with a grey background. Once I expanded the single point however it was excellent. I think I still need to tweak the tracking focus though!

LN 19/03/15 by Harry Measures, on Flickr

hi george

used a1 servo all 65 point case 2

alan
Thanks, Alan, I find it interesting what settings on the AF that others are using, it seems to me that if you have a large object like the plane, the 65 (or 61 in the case of the 1Dx) point setting is useful, but when it's something smaller like a bird, the large zone on the 7D works well too. The iDx doesn't have this setting, and it is useful.
Thanks!

George.

So I've been to the photography show at the nec today and I've decided i'll be ordering a 7D in the next few days. Could someone tell me which post the chart of best cf card speeds was posted in please? I can't seem to find it on the app on my phone. This threads go too big!

Last edited:
Back