Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

I attempted micro adjustments both tethered and Canons preferred method and nothing worked. To be honest I was losing my confidence and started to blame the lens. I went out yesterday afternoon to test my adjustments and I returned with blurs, they were bad I returned home within a hour.
Out of desperation I set up a test this morning where I photographed a flower and a test card at two different distances 3x and at a wide app and at F11 with the four lens's I own, handheld and on the Tripod. After completing the test shoot I down-loaded the images onto my Mac and out of 120 shots I had maybe 2 that look ok but soft with magnified.

Mine went back today and a replacement picked up this afternoon... I am hoping that this one is more successful as it does appear to me that there are a few dodgy Friday models out there.

I'll be giving this one a go on Saturday at the football and hopefully, fingers crossed I have some lovely pin sharp pics rather than the slightly blurred, soft images I got from the last one!

Mine went back today and a replacement picked up this afternoon... I am hoping that this one is more successful as it does appear to me that there are a few dodgy Friday models out there.

I'll be giving this one a go on Saturday at the football and hopefully, fingers crossed I have some lovely pin sharp pics rather than the slightly blurred, soft images I got from the last one!

I picked my new one up today and had a play with it in Canterbury. I hope I don't get two Friday afternoon models.

Thanks Gary that's what I was trying to do but AI servo only comes on when I hold both buttons down
I'll have another look tonight:)

If you go into custom menu. Select the AF ON button and set it to AF then press the INFO button. This opens a new menu and you can set the parameters you want. If you do the same with the AE Lock button and set that to AF and then press the info button you can set another set of parameters to that button. So you can have the AF ON set to AI SERVO and the AE LOCK set to ONE SHOT. you just press whichever button you need.

If you go into custom menu. Select the AF ON button and set it to AF then press the INFO button. This opens a new menu and you can set the parameters you want. If you do the same with the AE Lock button and set that to AF and then press the info button you can set another set of parameters to that button. So you can have the AF ON set to AI SERVO and the AE LOCK set to ONE SHOT. you just press whichever button you need.

That's brilliant thanks Gary:):)

Just set it up it great that you can do that it will be so handy to quickly be able to have AI servo or one shot
thanks again Gary:)

...but then I don't think you can use BBF?

Yes you can still use BBF George. I've got my shutter button set just to meter. AF ON to AF - CASE 3 - AI SERVO - 5 POINT AF and the AE LOCK set to AF - CASE 1 - ONE SHOT - SPOT AF.

Thanks Gary that's what I was trying to do but AI servo only comes on when I hold both buttons down
I'll have another look tonight:)

I changed my AE Lock to tggle between Alservo and One Shot and it works fine. However, it always returns to the setting you have chosen as it is toggle only. I don't think I will find much use for it because it has to be held down to keep it on the mode. There is enough going on without adding something else when shooting wildlife. It s just as easy to switch in Quick View.

Keith

I changed my AE Lock to tggle between Alservo and One Shot and it works fine. However, it always returns to the setting you have chosen as it is toggle only. I don't think I will find much use for it because it has to be held down to keep it on the mode. There is enough going on without adding something else when shooting wildlife. It s just as easy to switch in Quick View.

Keith

Hi Keith I have set my AF on button to permanent AI servo the way Gaz showed me in the quoted post I think that it should work really well with one shot set to the * button just next to it

Had a play in the garden today taking test shots with the 300 2.8
Ended up with +7 on the focus adjust with the bare lens and 1.4 and 2.0 converters looks really good can't wait to try it properly at the zoo next week
Also did an autofocus comparison using my 100L macro lens on the my 1 and mk 2 7D
The mk2 AF is a big improvement for macro the old body struggles to autofocus on small things like damselfly tails but the mk 2 instantly focused on a very thin twig, can't wait to try it out properly when the insects are out up here

Hi Keith I have set my AF on button to permanent AI servo the way Gaz showed me in the quoted post I think that it should work really well with one shot set to the * button just next to it

Hi Pete, I use the AF button to Auto Focus and rarely use the release shutter button for focus. I use the release button for metering and to release the shutter only. I take most wildlife and particularly birds and this allows me to hold down the AF button and to constantly track the subject or on single shot the AF button focuses and the release button just worries about metering and release and doesn't try to refocus.

Keith

....I had mine set as you have, Keith - Toggled between AI-SERVO and ONE-SHOT for a while but recently changed to Gary's tip including different AF pt areas on each of the BBF buttons and it couldn't be easier or faster.

Reactions: KAS
Is anyone using the Canon BG-E16 battery grip on their 7D Mark II, please?

Having handled a 1D Mark IV yesterday I now want a battery grip but only as long as there aren't any cons.

Research tells me that they are constructed of magnesium and have the same durability as the 7D2 body. Is the combined body and grip really rock solid when attached?

I have an Acratech Arca-Swiss plate attached to my 7D2 body (which then fits onto an Acratech Swift-Clamp on a BlackRapid strap) and it has a lipped profile to fit the underside of the 7D2 - Does anyone know if the BG-E16 battery grip's underside is the same profile so that my plate will fit, please?

Also, does the grip use one battery and then automatically switch to the second battery and not display empty until both batteries are empty?

Thanks for any replies :)

Having handled a 1D Mark IV yesterday I now want a battery grip but only as long as there aren't any cons.

There are plenty of cons. The biggest is that you have to carry all that extra weight around all of the time. The only realy advantage is if you shoot lots of portrait mode.

Oh, but it does make your camera look more like one of the big boys toys - so I guess the extra confidence that brings will compensate for the extra weight.

There are plenty of cons. The biggest is that you have to carry all that extra weight around all of the time. The only realy advantage is if you shoot lots of portrait mode.

....Is it really that heavy? I didn't find the 1D Mark IV heavy. But I haven't checked the comparative exact weight specs.

I certainly haven't bothered with some potentially nice portrait format shots simply because the 7D2 controls can be awkward in portrait - No problem if on a tripod though but unexpectedly even more awkward when on a monopod. Overall I probably shoot about 70% handheld, 15% monopod and 15% tripod.

So can you identify another con other than the weight, please? Have you used one?

Last edited:
The only disadvantage is that its a bit heavier. it weighs 11.6 ounces plus an extra battery.

Advantages. 2 batteries. buttons in portrait format. better balance with heavier lenses. the ability to use the spare battery tray filled with AA rechargables which is cheap extra power.

The camera draws down both batteries at the same time showing capacity left and number of shots taken with each battery.

I wouldnt use the camera without one fitted but I've had a 1 series for several years and for me the extra weight isn't an issue.

Last edited:
I have always used a grip, mainly because when I started with a 350d it felt too small, having got used to the convenience of an extra battery, better balance with heavier lenses and extra buttons. I have now only just started to shoot without, as a gripped 5d3 and 120-300 f2.8 sport is rather a beast to hand hold especially when fitted with a 2x to give 600mm! It goes back on when using any of my other lenses though.

hi all,
Well I'm now the proud owner of a 7d2 coming from a 1d3 so now following this thread with interest I'll let ya know how I get on.Unfortunately no play for me this weekend due to other commitments .

Managed to have a quick play in the garden today...

I am impressed with the AF. Followed a couple of birds through/around/behind trees and the AF coped admirably. The shots seemed pretty sharp to me as well.

Am looking forward to Assen next week.

Research tells me that they are constructed of magnesium and have the same durability as the 7D2 body. Is the combined body and grip really rock solid when attached?

I have an Acratech Arca-Swiss plate attached to my 7D2 body (which then fits onto an Acratech Swift-Clamp on a BlackRapid strap) and it has a lipped profile to fit the underside of the 7D2 - Does anyone know if the BG-E16 battery grip's underside is the same profile so that my plate will fit, please?

Also, does the grip use one battery and then automatically switch to the second battery and not display empty until both batteries are empty?

Have bought a 'Neewer' branded BG from A****n.

Have been used to a 1 series for a couple of years so wanted to replicate size/weight/feel BUT, without the expense to start. This cost £51.

Seems OK at the moment. Obviously the build quality isn't OEM but 20% of the price....

Everything seems to work, may be worth a punt if you don't want to spend £250+

Have bought a 'Neewer' branded BG from A****n.

Have been used to a 1 series for a couple of years so wanted to replicate size/weight/feel BUT, without the expense to start. This cost £51.

Seems OK at the moment. Obviously the build quality isn't OEM but 20% of the price....

Everything seems to work, may be worth a punt if you don't want to spend £250+

....I'm sure the Neewer product will be fine but personally I would have more peace of mind with the Canon OEM grip being magnesium construction etc. Also, an original Canon will probably be easier to sell one day. If I get the Canon grip (as I probably will) I'll buy it for £195 from HDEW.

Many Thanks for your help anyway :)

Hi Pete, I use the AF button to Auto Focus and rarely use the release shutter button for focus. I use the release button for metering and to release the shutter only. I take most wildlife and particularly birds and this allows me to hold down the AF button and to constantly track the subject or on single shot the AF button focuses and the release button just worries about metering and release and doesn't try to refocus.

Thanks Keith yes I know what you mean using the back button for focus works really well especially on AI servo on moving subjects as you say you can follow them at pick the right moment to fire the shutter

Reactions: KAS
Just another quick question is it possible to put the autofocus mode selection into the quick menu ( the little q button above the large mode wheel at the back)
I remember on my 7D mk 1 that you could customise the quick menu not 100% sure though it's been a few years since I set up my old 7D
I have got the autofocus selection on the trigger switch next to the joystick thingy it would be be nice to be able to have everything in one place in the quick menu though

Last edited:

I have just bought the e16 grip and it arrives Monday I will let you know how I get on with it Robin.

Oh, but it does make your camera look more like one of the big boys toys - so I guess the extra confidence that brings will compensate for the extra weight.

The other advantage of a grip is balance. With a heavy lens mounted, I find the camera feels far more balanced with a grip on than without one.

The other advantage of a grip is balance. With a heavy lens mounted, I find the camera feels far more balanced with a grip on than without one.

This is something I've never been able to figure out. People say that they prefer a grip to 'balance' a 70-200 or 100-400. What would these people do if they ever got a 500 or 600mm - glue an anvil onto their camera?

With a large lens the weight of the camera becomes irrelevant. The camera/lens system is supported with one hand under the lens on the lens foot. The other hand is on the camera body, but it doesn't attempt to support any weight - it's just used for steering. Indeed, a lighter body makes the whole thing easier to steer.

This is something I've never been able to figure out. People say that they prefer a grip to 'balance' a 70-200 or 100-400. What would these people do if they ever got a 500 or 600mm - glue an anvil onto their camera?

With a large lens the weight of the camera becomes irrelevant. The camera/lens system is supported with one hand under the lens on the lens foot. The other hand is on the camera body, but it doesn't attempt to support any weight - it's just used for steering. Indeed, a lighter body makes the whole thing easier to steer.

It is better balanced and that balance transfers itself to longer lenses also. The grip allows me to have a more secure hold on the camera and this translates into better control. There are far more advantages then disadvantages. You may not see them as useful for you but for a lot of people they are. And saying that it makes your camera look like a pro's is just plain daft.

The grip allows me to have a more secure hold on the camera and this translates into better control.

....That's exactly what I felt within moments of picking up my friend's 1D Mark III for the first time and I thought I wouldn't like a grip. It felt better in my hand even in landscape orientation.

I'll have to sell my Acratech 7D2 shaped Arca-Swiss plate because it won't fit the grip base but I can get a different plate for when I want to hang just my body off the Swift Clamp on BlackRapid strap. I think I have decided to go for the grip now and will order on Monday.

Still on the subject of the Canon BG-E16 battery grip, does it use one battery first and automatically switch itself to the other?

So I assume it doesn't matter if one battery has more juice left than the other and also that you can mix LP-E6 with LP-E6N batteries.

Still on the subject of the Canon BG-E16 battery grip, does it use one battery first and automatically switch itself to the other?
The grips do a form of power sharing....it only uses one battery at one time but continually switches between them.

Bob

I use Both LP-E6 & 6N's together Robin. Ive got 4 batteries and have never come even close to using all 4. But i do carry the spare tray with me.

I use Both LP-E6 & 6N's together Robin. Ive got 4 batteries and have never come even close to using all 4. But i do carry the spare tray with me.

....Thanks, Gary :)

I've got 3 Canon batteries and can easily fit 2 (plus 2 extra cards) in the shoulder pouch on my BlackRapid strap.

I would be buying the grip more for the better handling but any increase in battery fuel is a welcome bonus.

Perhaps with very large lenses such as 500mm+ but I'm on about smaller lenses such as a 70-200 or even a 24-70. No they're not as large or heavy as the big telephotos but can still weight 1-1.5kg and I find having the grip on the bottom of the body improves the balance as otherwise it all feels very "front heavy".

BTW it's nice to see they've added the joystick to the 7D2's grip - the lack of it on the BG-E7 when I had my 7D was unbelievably annoying and a godsend with the 5D3's BG-E11

According to UPS my 7D2 is "out for delivery". It better come today as I'm off to Orkney tomorrow morning!

Back