Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Thanks Trev, there are no images that are way oof so all good, I guess I need to figure out how to optimise my use of the AF systems, so many options...

I agree 100% with above... As soon as you get the images on the computer you will see that the camera has a problem... To be honest, even if you magnify on the rear screen you will see the problem as soon as you've taken them.

I've been using the 7D2 for a couple of months now, and it's an awesome camera, the autofocus is blisteringly fast, the files are clean, and unlike the 7D shadow noise doesn't seem to be a problem, and I was pleasantly surprised just how far you can push a crop and still retain loads of detail.
Here's shot from a couple of days ago, the crop was 1847x1807 down from 5472x3648, so a significant crop, taken with a 300F2.8+1.4TC (ISO400)

7D2_0048s.jpg

Canon Rumours posting that there may be new firmware coming out next week...........my second (replacement) body is much better than the first........but still the original firmware.

Seems there were some mirror box problems initially.

George.

I'm really enjoying the pictures from the 7D2. To say they are sharp is an understatement. I barely have to add any sharpening, especially when I use the 100-400 mk2 as well. Great detail and definition.

I bought mine a couple of months ago and had a time shooting with a Sigma 150-500 OS and I was generally very happy with the IQ. After a couple of hours going through all the menus and getting it set as I wanted I then tried it with some of my other lenses, a Canon 100-400 L IS, a Canon 24-70 f2.8L IS II and a Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II and was totally blown away. The IQ looks on a par with my 5D MkIII for shots below ISO1600 and still fantastic above that. I've just sold my Sigma 150-500 OS and passed the 100-400 L IS MkI over to the wife, then I've just ordered the 100-400 L IS II after seeing some of the photos of that set up on here. I've just got to wait for the lens to arrive which is driving me mad as I'm so damn impatient.

I'm just about to buy the 7D2, is there anything extra I should consider buying at the same time? I would ask about an extra battery, but I guess that is down to how many shots I take....

I'm just about to buy the 7D2, is there anything extra I should consider buying at the same time? I would ask about an extra battery, but I guess that is down to how many shots I take....
Im finding my 7D2 battery fine Steve, I carry a spare from my 60D just in case too though. (Not needed it on one day shoots) it depends on how often your away from a charger.

Has anyone noticed that tethering through Canon EOS Utility drains the battery?. I started downloading the images this way and soon finished both batteries.

I'm finding that I am changing my battery for safety as much as anything else after around 400-500 shots, at which point there is only 1 bar left on it.

Been having one of my button pressing days on the MkII. As well as setting the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons to have separate AF functions I've now discovered that you can do the same with the shutter button and set that to a different set of parameters also. Not sure how much use it is but it's there as an option.

Thanks for updates on the battery usage, I'll stick to one battery for now then.
Just bought the 7D MK2 :D from HDEW, going to collect it on Saturday.

With regards to batteries, I bought of of these from Amazon, 2200mah. It charges and behaves exactly like the original, even shows with the right information when fitted alongside the OE one in a grip. As to battery life, I recently shot 1400 pictures at the motorcycling and it still showed at about 30%. :)

I'm finding that I am changing my battery for safety as much as anything else after around 400-500 shots, at which point there is only 1 bar left on it.

I reached im sure it was over 1500 shots the other day at a meeting and it still showed 60% battery,am at Oulton this weekend and will take a screen shot.
Dont have GPS turned on and dont chimp every shot but do use the rear screen to check and rate images between races.
Still not a patch on the 1DX battery but it lasts a day easily.

I reached im sure it was over 1500 shots the other day at a meeting and it still showed 60% battery,am at Oulton this weekend and will take a screen shot.
Dont have GPS turned on and dont chimp every shot but do use the rear screen to check and rate images between races.
Still not a patch on the 1DX battery but it lasts a day easily.

Think I need to give my battery a proper spanking then and see what I get out of it... I suspect I change too early, but with mainly doing football I'm fearful of it packing in at a vital moment!

Having neither used or likely to use a 1DX, I can't see that being an issue for me. Would be more interested in comparisons with the 5D3 as that's my other body
Wont be able to help on that as never used a 5D MKIII im afraid but would think the 7D MKII would make a great companion for the 5D MKIII and both would compliment each other nicely.

So im still not helping you resist ;-)

Wont be able to help on that as never used a 5D MKIII im afraid but would think the 7D MKII would make a great companion for the 5D MKIII and both would compliment each other nicely.

So im still not helping you resist ;-)
I know it's going to happen :)

After recently shooting Donnington with the 5d3, sigma 120-300 and 2 x converter and spending a bit of time taking the TC on and off, I was thinking the 7d2 with 120-300 and 5d3 with 70-200 and 24-70 in the pits would make an awesome combination.

I know it's going to happen :)

After recently shooting Donnington with the 5d3, sigma 120-300 and 2 x converter and spending a bit of time taking the TC on and off, I was thinking the 7d2 with 120-300 and 5d3 with 70-200 and 24-70 in the pits would make an awesome combination.
Race weekends i have 2 bodies and three lenses which gives me theoretical cover from 17mm up to 640mm for BSB.

I've had 2 7D2's, both performed pretty well, but AF wasn't quite as consistent as I would have liked/expected. Really not much difference to my 70D to be honest. I was using with a 300mm 2.8 II lens too. I wonder if both bodies I had were a bit ropey as sometimes focus was nailed perfected and other times it missed, particularly in a burst mode. Bit strange.

Panamoz at under £1000 is a deal if you get a good body! I cannot recommend Jessops after the shambles I've had with them. Fair play they didn't hang around in giving me my money back.

I've had 2 7D2's, both performed pretty well, but AF wasn't quite as consistent as I would have liked/expected. Really not much difference to my 70D to be honest. I was using with a 300mm 2.8 II lens too. I wonder if both bodies I had were a bit ropey as sometimes focus was nailed perfected and other times it missed, particularly in a burst mode. Bit strange.

Panamoz at under £1000 is a deal if you get a good body! I cannot recommend Jessops after the shambles I've had with them. Fair play they didn't hang around in giving me my money back.

Sorry to hear that Az.
The problem with the 7D MKII A/F does seem to be going very much down the same root as the old 1D MKIII did which is a worry.
Can see it being another mirrorbox assembly recall across all early serials the way it is going which may just never really get resolved fully.
Had three MKIII's and just lost all faith in them totally for work.

Mine was from Panamoz and so far touch wood seems to be acceptable but have had a few that are just not fully in focus mid burst,will keep an eye on it though.

Last edited:
Just be reading in another forum that, altering the AF tracking sensitivity, is working for some people. Could this be a case that due to the high frame rate, it ispicking up movement which is causing it to lose the subject, maybe even picking up the mirror (if that is even possible)?

As I understood the reports of focusing issues it was the camera wouldn't even focus on a static subject consistently. Once you introduce movement and AI servo then saying the camera is at fault is far more difficult as there are more things to go wrong that will result in an OOF image.

The MkII Isnt quite as slick as a 1DX and doesn't get as many keepers. But it's not a million miles away. I've used mine for BIF and rally cars and it did a better job on the rally cars than the BIF but I'm pretty sure that's down to me.

I sold a 5D3 to get the MkII and for a while wondered if I had done the right thing. The image quality of the 5D3/1DX is better without a doubt. I feel that the RAW files need a bit more sharpening than the ones from my 1DX, a bit like the 1D MKIV which needed the same.

Now I only use it in good light and at lower ISO? Once the ISO needs bumping up then I use my 1DX which has probably a stop and a third on the MkII in ISO.

The problem with the 7D MKII A/F does seem to be going very much down the same root as the old 1D MKIII did which is a worry.

I disagree, I think the MkII AF seems to be going down the same route as the 7D MkI, the 70D and the 5D MkIII, The difference is that Canon acknowledged the problem with the 1D MkIII and issued a fix. No such acknowledgement has been made about other 'problems' with AF in other models, strongly suggesting that Canon don't believe that there are inherent problems.

Has anyone bought one recently that has had to return it or were all the issues in the first batch that came to dealers?

I also don't believe that every body that was returned was faulty. I think it had been hyped up in the press to the point that if you didn't get great results some folk automatically blamed the "AF Issue".

I hear time and time again of AF issues with cameras and the individual has made no attempt to analyse just what is wrong. It's a case of snap something and it's not in focus so it must be the camera.

I disagree, I think the MkII AF seems to be going down the same route as the 7D MkI, the 70D and the 5D MkIII, The difference is that Canon acknowledged the problem with the 1D MkIII and issued a fix. No such acknowledgement has been made about other 'problems' with AF in other models, strongly suggesting that Canon don't believe that there are inherent problems.

Not sure if you experienced the problems with the MKIII yourself but i fully remember very well Canon and many other users would not admit a problem existed with the camera and that it was all user error for months despite many high profile photographers proving beyond a doubt it did.

Still early days at the moment but im sure in time a full fix will be anounced or just the problem wll be swept under the carpet via firmware or alteration of production.

At the moment i consider myself lucky to have one that works in an acceptable manner and also that my experience with Canon goes back as far as the MKIIN upto the excellent 1DX.

This poses an interesting issue for those buying grey, IF Canon were to issue a product bulletin meaning that bodies would need to be returned for modifications, potentially a lot of people may miss out. So I suppose the question at the moment is would you take the risk, knowing what could be around the corner?

This poses an interesting issue for those buying grey, IF Canon were to issue a product bulletin meaning that bodies would need to be returned for modifications, potentially a lot of people may miss out. So I suppose the question at the moment is would you take the risk, knowing what could be around the corner?
The recalls that I remember have been based on serial number batches rather than the market from which they were purchased. I also suspect that a recall for a consumer camera is far less likely than for a professional camera.

Bob

The recalls that I remember have been based on serial number batches rather than the market from which they were purchased. I also suspect that a recall for a consumer camera is far less likely than for a professional camera.

Bob

Ok so if you bought a camera from Digital Rev or Panamoz, which fell within the recall serial numbers. If you then sent it to Canon UK would they carry out the work or reject it as it had not been imported through the correct channels?

Back