Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Hi Robin had the battery grip on mine from new the balance it a lot better with it I have use it with the 300 and 500 I wish I had done the same with 7d you will love it I am shore with big lens

....Cheers, Kevin :)

One Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip now paid for at HDEW for £195 incl vat and incl courier and delivery expected this week. HDEW will email me a tracking # as soon as it's known.

Product details link : http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-bg-e16-battery-grip-for-7d-mark-2-2920-p.asp

Somehow I doubt if the much cheaper non-Canon alternatives have a magnesium carcass and all the 7D2 weatherproofed standard of build.

Well, this weekend the 7d was a joy to use compared to the model I returned earlier in the week.

Still an awful lot to learn during the closed football season, but fast focus & pin sharp pics. There is no doubt in my mind that Canon need to take a close look at their QC procedures with this camera.

Too many reports out there of cameras having focusing issues such as mine had.

But, delighted now with my purchase....

It's just arrived. Hope I don't have any focusing issues as may not have time to test it before I head off tomorrow.

....I hope so too, Neil, but it's doubtful if you are so unlucky twice.

Enjoy your trip - Should be wonderful.

This camera is on my watch list. May only be able to afford grey (Panamoz). Bit nervous after reports of focus issues....just an isolated few, or should I wait 'till later in the production run..?

This camera is on my watch list. May only be able to afford grey (Panamoz). Bit nervous after reports of focus issues....just an isolated few, or should I wait 'till later in the production run..?

....I bought my 7D2 from Park Cameras but my Canon 100-400mm L II and Canon BG-E16 battery grip from HDEW who are 'grey' but have office premises in the UK you can visit and they also give you a vat receipt. They give a 12 month Canon warranty plus a further 2 years with Canon-approved repairer in the UK. There is a longstanding thread about HDEW on TP and nothing reported to make someone nervous about buying from them.

An alternative is to buy with no deposit and no interest over 12 months as I did from Park but it is the full RRP. Approximately £133 per month x12 is easier to afford than £1,599 in one hit.

Its an isolated few Trev, my first one had af issues and I sent it back for a refund. Bought a second one from HDEW and its a pleasure to use. HDEW handled the purchase with no problems, I've not had to use their warranty luckily so cant comment, but as has been said, you get a 12 month Canon warranty plus an extra 2 years from them. I am happy with the 12 month Canon warranty and regard the extra 2 years as a bonus and hope I don't need it.

@RedRobin @Trev4 Thanks guys. Payday in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know..I've got a7D classic coming from the classifieds. Fancy a go at birds, trouble is, I'm over researching the MK2..

@RedRobin @Trev4 Thing is, I'm a Nikon man. But they don't have a 400mm 5.6. I don't have a crop body. I see the a Canon combo as an affordable way to get decent reach as a way into it. (Long lens stuff)

@RedRobin @Trev4 Thanks guys. Payday in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know..I've got a7D classic coming from the classifieds. Fancy a go at birds, trouble is, I'm over researching the MK2..

I got my 1st one from Panamoz, painless and quick delivery. As soon as I reported it faulty they arranged collection and it to be returned to Hong Kong. Just over 3 days later I got the full refund.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying from one of the overseas sources.

....I hope so too, Neil, but it's doubtful if you are so unlucky twice.

Robin, this is my first 7D2, I was just referring to focusing issues that others have reported.

Had a quick test with it and it seems fine.

However I was unable to download the images to Elements 12. They downloaded to my hard drive but not Elements 12. The image numbering is also different as instead of IMG_1234 they are Y65A1234. Can anyone explain this?

The image numbering is also different as instead of IMG_1234 they are Y65A1234. Can anyone explain this?

You can change this in the settings to whatever you want to call them... Can't recall where, but it's there somewhere :thinking:

However I was unable to download the images to Elements 12
The 7D mkII files need Adobe camera RAW 8.7, unfortunately Elements 12 is no longer supported and so there isn't an upgrade available, the only option is to upgrade to Elements 13. You can change the numbering system in camera to suit your own needs. Hope this helps.

@RedRobin @Trev4 Thing is, I'm a Nikon man. But they don't have a 400mm 5.6. I don't have a crop body. I see the a Canon combo as an affordable way to get decent reach as a way into it. (Long lens stuff)
Canon and Nikon both have their strengths, but the 7D + 400mm f/5.6 is a very good and well respected combination, ideal for wildlife as you know. Am looking forward to seeing your results.

Canon and Nikon both have their strengths, but the 7D + 400mm f/5.6 is a very good and well respected combination, ideal for wildlife as you know. Am looking forward to seeing your results.

Thanks Trev, looking forward to getting to grips with it. Gotta confess that birds/wildlife is a new experiment for me. Don't expect too much..

The 7D mkII files need Adobe camera RAW 8.7, unfortunately Elements 12 is no longer supported and so there isn't an upgrade available, the only option is to upgrade to Elements 13. You can change the numbering system in camera to suit your own needs. Hope this helps.

Thanks Trev. I was actually downloading jpegs not RAW files so not sure if that's relevant. However it was Elements 11 not 12.

Thanks Trev. I was actually downloading jpegs not RAW files so not sure if that's relevant. However it was Elements 11 not 12.
Oh ok, I don't understand that, jpeg is jpeg and should open as far as I know whether its Elements 11,12 or otherwise. The numbering system shouldn't affect it though. Perhaps someone else can throw some light on this for you, I cant help you on this one, sorry :thinking:

Last edited:
Well I've used mine properly for the first time yesterday and today and it's great shots are sharp the exposure seems to be similar to my MK1 7D on cloudy days I use +2/3 exposure compensation and on sunny days 0 exp comp and then the exposure is spot on:)

Last edited:
Just out of interest, could I see some examples of images from a camera with the focus problem? I'm pretty sure I haven't got a problem unit, but would like to see what the images look like from a camera with focus issues so that I have something to refer to when I finally get to sort through my WEC shots tonight.

I did have some up on Flickr but deleted them after I got the replacement camera.... I'll see if I have them on my computer at home, though not confident ad they were pretty bad so I deleted at the editing stage... See what I can do tomorrow evening when home.

I did have some up on Flickr but deleted them after I got the replacement camera.... I'll see if I have them on my computer at home, though not confident ad they were pretty bad so I deleted at the editing stage... See what I can do tomorrow evening when home.

No worries, I went through some (about 50%) of my WEC shots last night and I'm quite sure mine's a good one. My panning on the other hand, not so great. When the shutter speed was high I have pin sharp shots.

Could people stop posting shots taken with the 400mm f/5.6 prime please. If I see any more I'm going to have to buy one!!!

Could people stop posting shots taken with the 400mm f/5.6 prime please. If I see any more I'm going to have to buy one!!!

Haven't test my 400mm with the new camera yet, will be taking it up to Bempton Cliffs in the near future, so will get a test of it then. But glad to hear that they work so well together.

Oh ok, I don't understand that, jpeg is jpeg and should open as far as I know whether its Elements 11,12 or otherwise. The numbering system shouldn't affect it though. Perhaps someone else can throw some light on this for you, I cant help you on this one, sorry :thinking:

I've changed the numbering system from Y65A to IMG_ and now no prob with Elements 11.

Just bought a 7D2 as a second body to complement my 5DIII. First impressions are good - nice jump in IQ from the 7D that I used to own and looking forward to using it on a forthcoming Safari. Just done a few gash test shots with 2xIII and 70-200mm 2.8 II IS (the combo I bought it to use with) and very impressed indeed. 640mm (eff) at f/5.6 is quite useful :)

Had an excellent day at Sillystone on Wednesday with the 7Dii, spent most of the time on expanded single point but did a few shots on all 65, however the latter did not work particularly well with case 2.

Very impressed with how it kept focus with the head on shots, some in very difficult light.
Silverstone Classic Media Day 2015 by Harry Measures, on Flickr

Silverstone Classic Media Day by Harry Measures, on Flickr

Finally had my 7dmk2 delivered today after 1 week of waiting from we, unfortunately I needed it today and I've been out since 7am so will have to pick it up from the post office tomorrow, can't wait!

Hi there...anybody got any bird photos?

Here are a few from Wisley yesterday using a 7D Mark II and 100-400 Mark II. I am not a birder but happened to see these as we were walking around.

My post processing skills are rubbish so these are basically just cropped and resized with a touch of sharpening. These are all from jpegs as I need to upgrade my OS before I can run software that will process the 7D mark II RAW files.

The lighting for the robin was tricky as he was in a rhododendron with the odd ray of sunlight coming through the foliage. ISO 1000.
The portrait robin is a 50% crop from original and the thrush is a 25% crop from original. Looks like my lens is front focussing slightly.

Files are small as they are hosted here as opposed to somewhere like Flickr.

View attachment 35563 View attachment 35564 View attachment 35565

Last edited:
Hi there...anybody got any bird photos?

Here's a starling from the other day in Orkney. 7D Mk2, 100-400 Mk2 and 1.4x Mk3. 52% crop.

IMG_2657_edited-1.jpg

Is there a procedure to check for the focusing issues I've heard about? Just want to check while the camera is brand new

To be honest, if you have the problem, you will know there's something wrong, the AF struggles so much. As an example, in one shoot, I got 3 out of 368 images in focus, the rest were all OOF, some marginal, the majority grossly OOF. If your getting reasonable results overall I wouldn't worry.

Back