Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

5D III is a really nice camera, use one along side the 7DII, would beat it for landscapes with its FF Sensor, 7D II AF, fps all those kind of things blow the 5DIII out the water from what I have found.

Hi Joe, slightly OT but did you use your 5dm3 for the landscapes on your website?

Reactions: smr
Got a new 300 IS MK2 and a 2X mk3 - super chuffed with the results on the front edge of my old trainers with the 2x on - 600mm@5.6 handheld IS1
_O0A9828.JPG

What settings do you use for video?

Depends on what I'm recording but usually keep it to between 60-100 shutter speed and tend to shoot between f4 and f8, 1920 x 1080 25 frames std IPB. I've been getting some pretty good results from these settings but I'll be investigating further and tweaking for the best results I can get. The people who are seeing the videos are very pleased though.

Depends on what I'm recording but usually keep it to between 60-100 shutter speed and tend to shoot between f4 and f8, 1920 x 1080 25 frames std IPB. I've been getting some pretty good results from these settings but I'll be investigating further and tweaking for the best results I can get. The people who are seeing the videos are very pleased though.

Thanks Stuart, the frame rates always confuse me, I shot some video of the dolphins @50 fps I think, never really sure what is best, it's something I need to understand more.

Thanks Stuart, the frame rates always confuse me, I shot some video of the dolphins @50 fps I think, never really sure what is best, it's something I need to understand more.

The normal recommendation is to shoot with a shutter speed 1/2 of the frame rate (or as close as possible). So if you shoot at 50 fps you want a shutter speed of 1/100s. This is supposed to give the most fluid motion when the video is played back. When shooting film it's called a 180º shutter.

Try it for yourself. Shoot at 50 fps with varying shutter speeds (1/30, 1/60, 1/200, 1/1000). You should easily be able to see a difference between 1/30 (smooth) and 1/1000 (jerky).

Wasn't prepared for this shot at all as I was set up for birds in flight coming into land and this beauty came and perched right infront of me, no time to change settings to drop the ISO to 100 which I would have preferred but 640 still renders really nicely with the 7D2.

7D Mark II - Canon 500mm f/4L IS USM
(800mm total with crop factor)
f/4.5 - 1/3200 - ISO 640 - -0.3EV
20% crop.

p1587632638-5.jpg

_E8A6394.JPG 'focus' - Jed Etchells
Enduro - West Kimmeragh - Isle of Man. 7D2 case4

Last edited:
can someone explain what is meant by 2 stops equivalent.

in relation to me looking at this camera, the guy in the shop said if a add a canon f4 70-200 Lseries with it, it's equivalent to two stops on this camera...................... is he trying to say there's no need to buy the f2.8 cus the camera is so good???

I'd like to think that in low light situations (concerts in a church lit environment) f4 would be just as good as spending the extra on a f2.8... as the camera itself can handle the low light with its ISO.
Or am I signing from the wrong hymn sheet?

tnx

Not really sure what the salesman means here. If he's saying that the camera is good enough to push the ISO by 2 stops so that you can buy a lens with a smaller max aperture i.e f4 instead of f2.8 then, especially in the example that you have given here, I would suggest he's stretching things a little. The ISO performance on the MkII, whilst better than the MkI still doesn't give you that much more flexibility. Its no 6D. Maybe on a tripod then yes but handholding ??????

can someone explain what is meant by 2 stops equivalent.

in relation to me looking at this camera, the guy in the shop said if a add a canon f4 70-200 Lseries with it, it's equivalent to two stops on this camera......................

I think he must have been talking about the image stabilisation on the 70-200 (if it was the IS version he was talking about) as nothing else makes sense in that sentence unless he was.

HTH

David

hmmmmmmmm maybe. but I thought he was getting at the f4 would be a lot cheaper than buying a f2.8 (which we know it is, either new or 2nd hand) and would be able to handle low light situations. I wasn't convinced.

I think he must have been talking about the image stabilisation on the 70-200 (if it was the IS version he was talking about) as nothing else makes sense in that sentence unless he was.

HTH

David
I'm sure that's what he was referring to, you can use a slower shutter speed with the new IS (allegedly 4 stops but that's the absolute top figure) but the 7D2 is generally accepted to be about 1 stop better than the mk1- generally accepted that 1600 is about the max that can be used without significant noise intrusion.

borrowed my lads 7d2 to try out with my sigma 150-600mm sport last week ,one is definetly on my must buy list .mr angry .jpg

You looking to get the camera to replace your 1D III then pal?
Depends on finances joe ,no rush .still need to test it under worse conditions which the mkiii can handle ,I.e high ISO

Last edited:
What about sports at night? can't you push it over ISO 1600? in the stadiums here some are really awful bad lights, so i sometimes need to use ISO 3200-6400, how can you describe 7D II at those ISO values?

What about sports at night? can't you push it over ISO 1600? in the stadiums here some are really awful bad lights, so i sometimes need to use ISO 3200-6400, how can you describe 7D II at those ISO values?
Hairy arsed footballers are a very different subject and there's a lot more latitude for the noise reduction. I shoot football at 52600 on the 1Dx but anything with fur and feathers is limited to 6400 to maintain the finer details.

Bob

Hairy arsed footballers are a very different subject and there's a lot more latitude for the noise reduction. I shoot football at 52600 on the 1Dx but anything with fur and feathers is limited to 6400 to maintain the finer details.

Bob

+1

With all cameras, it depends on the subject and situation the images are being used for that depends on the ISO range you can get 'usable' images to. Wildlife you want to keep it low to have the best level of detail, Sports has a lot more leeway special for printing in the papers, I would go upto happily upto 12,800 with the 7D Mark II for that, as it will still be good enough for the papers.

I wouldn't be shooting football at night with it unless I had decent floodlights - really don't like the look of skin with the noise above 1600 ISO

Last edited:
Cool, so it is fine to go high ISO for night soccer or some indoors with bad lights using 7D II, i will be using either 70-200 2.8 mkII or 300 2.8 mk1 which helps for quality.

Now from your last posts here i can confirm about buying 7D II and selling my 1D3, if i will shoot wildlife then i will use 1DX, mostly for birds or wildlife i don't shoot with 2 bodies even it may may the life easier, but in sports i mostly use 2 bodies, 1DX is as main, but i want to have my backup body as good as 1DX if not better but not another 1DX again, i hope i can have budget in the future so i can buy a newer camera that will be better than 1DX then i will keep 1DX as a backup.

Also, 7DII has 2 things that i want over 1D3, 1. Cropability, 2. MP [20mp vs. 10mp], so if i crop about 30-60% with 1D3 then with 7D2 i may crop at about 10-30% so i may not lose more of quality or details, and if i use 300mm then i may not crop more than 20% for most shots and 300 giving better results than the zoom so i keep 70-200 on 1DX for another better results with the zoom.

But, and BIG BUT is, i read a lot about the AF issue, don't know if it is with AI Servo because this is what i use always in shooting sports, so what is the major shooters experience with Ai Servo performance so far?

But, and BIG BUT is, i read a lot about the AF issue, don't know if it is with AI Servo because this is what I use always in shooting sports, so what is the major shooters experience with Ai Servo performance so far?

If you get a new 7D Mark II you won't get any issues with AF, that was a problem with the first lot of models. The 7D mark II will go great along your 1Dx for sports I can assure you :)

If you get a new 7D Mark II you won't get any issues with AF, that was a problem with the first lot of models. The 7D mark II will go great along your 1Dx for sports I can assure you :)

Good to har that, i hope the new camera i will buy is really a new batch and not something old but stored in the store for long time without selling even if it is a brand new.

Good to har that, i hope the new camera I will buy is really a new batch and not something old but stored in the store for long time without selling even if it is a brand new.

I'm sure it will be fine, if you have a look up in the thread your find pics of kingfishers and other wildlife in flight etc, that I have took showing the AF performance of the camera, get that 1D III sold and 7D II ordered ;)

Today my 7DII is 1 year old :banana::banana:. As a special treat I'm taking to my local race track (again) for a charity supercar day.

I just wanted to give you an idea of a football photo at ISO16000 ~ f/2.8 ~ 1/640 under shocking floodlights. It was shot in RAW and then tweaked in LR5.

Might not be perfect, but good enough for viewing on Tablet or Phone. Wouldn't want to print it very big though!

Goole AFC v Ossett Town - 10th Nov '15 - (57) by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr

Any images/links/thoughts of motorsports with 7d2? Thinking of changing from 1d3 to 7d2 (or 1d4 but 7d2 appears to edge it).
Sorry if this has been asked before

Last edited:
I've been using a 7D for Motorsports for years & upgraded to the Mk2 late this year mainly for the increased ISO & better AF with my Sigma 150-600 sport.

T.B.H I've not noticed much difference for BTCC but it "feels" like the AF tracks better than my "old" 7D :)

Anyway, a few randoms from the BTCC at Silverstone & Brands Hatch

brands-13.jpg

brands-16.jpg

silv-11.jpg

silv-14.jpg

brands-11.jpg

silv-12.jpg

nice pix, what lens' do you use at Race Tracks.... is a 70-200 adequate, or would a 100-400 be better?

Back