Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

I've been using a 7DII all of this season with a 100-400 II almost permanently welded on it. It's a fantastic bit of kit and although I loved my 1DIII it doesn't hold a candle to the 7DII. It's handled everything I've thrown at it with no problems at all.

Hello Robin,

I'm interested in your comparison with the 1D Mark III. Have you tried the 7D Mark II with any sports, such as rugby or hockey?

I have the 7D2 and a 5D3 and would like to have wide capability on the 7D2. How good is the 17-55 f2.8? I have L series lenses for my 5. I would be interested to hear what you all think if you have this set up too. Cheers. I posted this on a different thread but it was not seen so am trying again here. Thanks

I personally keep things simple and have Case 1 for slow/static subjects and case 2 for all in flight wildlife.

....I recently re-read your review and have reset my AF Case 1 and 2 to match yours, Joe. The light conditions haven't allowed me the chance to try them out yet.

I would advise anyone previously unfamiliar with the various AF Cases to start off using them at their default settings before doing any fine tuning.

....I recently re-read your review and have reset my AF Case 1 and 2 to match yours, Joe. The light conditions haven't allowed me the chance to try them out yet.

Thanks for letting me know and hope you get on well with them, keep me updated on how you think they are as it will be interesting how you and maybe others get on with the settings, hope they can help in the long run!

Thanks for letting me know and hope you get on well with them, keep me updated on how you think they are as it will be interesting how you and maybe others get on with the settings, hope they can help in the long run!

....Will do, Joe :)

I think it will need quite a few shots to see if AF is improved in Case 2. Birds, Dragonflies, etc, in flight are the subjects where we need all the assistance we can get to nail the shot.

....Will do, Joe :)

I think it will need quite a few shots to see if AF is improved in Case 2. Birds, Dragonflies, etc, in flight are the subjects where we need all the assistance we can get to nail the shot.
One thing I wish Canon would do in a future firmware update is offer other graphics for the cases, so that us wildlife shooters can set the cases up as we need them and use a different image (e.g. flying bird, perched bird, running leopard, etc) to remind us of their intended use.

I have the 7D2 and a 5D3 and would like to have wide capability on the 7D2. How good is the 17-55 f2.8? I have L series lenses for my 5. I would be interested to hear what you all think if you have this set up too. Cheers. I posted this on a different thread but it was not seen so am trying again here. Thanks
Is there anybody there with this lens on a 7D2, please?

I've bought the FULL LR6, I needed a new one anyway :)

now just had a panic about it working with Windows 7 :/

BTW
Happy New Year,

I'll ask, what's the most popular use of the 65pt AF?
what do YOU use most?

BTW
Happy New Year,

I'll ask, what's the most popular use of the 65pt AF?
what do YOU use most?

Centre point, expanded by one all round, group of nine. But I don't have a MkII anymore but it's the same across the MkII, 5D3 and 1DX.

questions questions..... ;)

1. I've been setting up my camera today, the © setting & author, I take it these are data tagged to the photo taken, where would this show up.... when editing in LightRoom?

2. also the GPS, is it worth turning on for 'normal' photography?

questions questions..... ;)

1. I've been setting up my camera today, the © setting & author, I take it these are data tagged to the photo taken, where would this show up.... when editing in LightRoom?

In the Library module, View>View Options then pick from the drop downs. Pressing 'i' displays and cycles between the 2 Loupe Info overlays.

Is there anybody there with this lens on a 7D2, please?

I used to use one on my 7D before going full frame. It's an awesome lens optically and a superb walkabout for a crop. The only downsides are average build quality and a lack of weather sealing. It also tends to suck in dust more than some others but that doesn't affect the images.

need help again: :)

using the AF points, if you are doing 'tracking' (went to snowdome with the kids yesterday) what should AF point is best for tracking or should I keep it on the 65 point? I did use the AI Servo assist.

tnx

Hi Guys, haven't been on for a while, but I'm considering adding a 7D2 to my kit list. I currently have a 7D1 and a 6D, my longer lenses consist of the following: Sigma 150-600 Sport, Canon 300 f4, 70-200 f2.8 Mk1 (and a 1.4 EX Mk2 which I often mate with the 300).

Is there a big learning curve coming from the Mk1 to the Mk2 ? I shoot mainly wildlife (mostly birds) and we have a holiday planned for Scotland this summer and I'm organising a couple of guided trips so want to make the most of it.

I think the 7D2 is an evolution of the 7D and would be pretty familiar straight away. The 7D established a bit of a new "standard" for control layout which was then adopted and refined on the 5D3. The 7D2 is almost identical to the 5D3 - after all it's effectively a crop version of the 5D3.

If you're managing to juggle the different control layouts of the 7D and 6D without too much problem I can't see you having any issues with the 7D2. The AF system may be much improved but follows the same basic principles first established with the 7D's 19-point system.

Is there a big learning curve coming from the Mk1 to the Mk2 ? I shoot mainly wildlife (mostly birds) and we have a holiday planned for Scotland this summer and I'm organising a couple of guided trips so want to make the most of it.

....It's absolutely as @Vertigo1 says.

The 7D2 is more customisable and the AF options are more sophisticated but if you buy a 7D2 sooner rather than later you should be familiar with it before your holiday in the Summer.

My advice is to start off with the default AF Case settings and then fine-tune if you think you need to only after carefully examining what you get.

....Hi Joe, I have reset my AF Case according to your blog and so far am seeing a higher hit rate on birds in-flight but it's still early days due to very poor weather. I'll keep you posted.

Hi Robin, Thanks for letting me know and great to hear your hit rate has been increased! Keep me posted :)

Joe

Which blog/settings are these, out of interest? Would be interested in reading, even though I don't have a 7D2 :)

Cheers I'll have a shufty :)

Interesting read, thanks. I must admin I'm slightly surprised you've set the tracking sensitivity to +1 for Case 2. You say you use this for rapidly moving targets - I'd have thought these would be the subjects where it's harder to keep the active AF point(s) on the target and thus you'd want lower tracking sensitivity to remain locked on the bird instead of shifting to the background if you lose track of it momentarily?

Hi Guys, haven't been on for a while, but I'm considering adding a 7D2 to my kit list. I currently have a 7D1 and a 6D, my longer lenses consist of the following: Sigma 150-600 Sport, Canon 300 f4, 70-200 f2.8 Mk1 (and a 1.4 EX Mk2 which I often mate with the 300).

I've had my 7dMk2 just over a week, coming from a 500D i think i have my head around it now.. some really good things on it.. I may never use :( but the only thing for me is the extra buttons and positioning of them)

go on youtube and there are some good 'basic use of the 7dMK2' that gives you the low down on it.
Canon USA do some good ones and also that Tony Northrup does a really good one...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSJ4mrTzDTg

Interesting read, thanks. I must admin I'm slightly surprised you've set the tracking sensitivity to +1 for Case 2. You say you use this for rapidly moving targets - I'd have thought these would be the subjects where it's harder to keep the active AF point(s) on the target and thus you'd want lower tracking sensitivity to remain locked on the bird instead of shifting to the background if you lose track of it momentarily?

I use high tracking sensitively as rapid moving targets in the field its highly likely you will loose track of them when in flight or have the focus going on and off them, some are impossible to track all the time in the viewfinder with the focus locked on in some situations, so when the target moves rapidly and you loose focus it doesn't take a second or two to refocus where as when the sensitivity is high so there is no delay it just gets back onto the target straight away without hesitation and might end up you getting a couple of shot that you wanted, so this is really set as an insurance policy so when you loose track in the viewfinder you can get straight back on the target and not have the focus locked onto nothing, I recommend you at least give it a try in the field, I have had many clients come on workshops with me and the forum and other sites with a good 90% + saying that it has benefited getting the shot and hit rate. Hope this help answers things and feel free to ask if you have any more questions :)

See that doesn't make sense to me. You say you use high tracking sensitivity so you can recover more quickly when getting back on target after losing focus but the whole point of setting a lower tracking sensitivity, as Case 2 originally does as standard, is to stop this happening in the first place, so if the target strays from your selected AF points momentarily, the AF system won't immediately focus on the background.

Or is it to do with the length of time you lose tracking on the subject? I guess the low tracking sensitivity is intended to deal with momentary losses of tracking on the subject or interruptions such as something moving between the camera and subject. Even with low sensitivity, if tracking is lost for any length of time, I guess the camera would give up and refocus on the background, at which point you'd want high sensitivity to bring it back to the bird as soon as possible?

I'm guessing here of course as I'm not a bird photograher by any means. Whilst I've used Servo AF quite extensively, I've never shot anything as erratic as BIF :)

Or is it to do with the length of time you lose tracking on the subject? I guess the low tracking sensitivity is intended to deal with momentary losses of tracking on the subject or interruptions such as something moving between the camera and subject. Even with low sensitivity, if tracking is lost for any length of time, I guess the camera would give up and refocus on the background, at which point you'd want high sensitivity to bring it back to the bird as soon as possible?

Pretty much this, It simply gives you a greater control over the camera's focusing and focuses as fast and changes when you want with no delay and great sensitively for BIF which I have found to be crucial in many situations with such things as small wading birds going with the wind that are very fast and movement's that are highly unpredictable. Here is a example which I found this case mode to work amazing for when these birds were turning fast and diving out the sky with the wind :)

Ok thanks for the info. Bird photography is something I've fancied having a go at but never got round to. Opportunities in the Midlands are a tad limited compared to the coasts.

See that doesn't make sense to me. You say you use high tracking sensitivity so you can recover more quickly when getting back on target after losing focus but the whole point of setting a lower tracking sensitivity, as Case 2 originally does as standard, is to stop this happening in the first place, so if the target strays from your selected AF points momentarily, the AF system won't immediately focus on the background.

I'm guessing here of course as I'm not a bird photograher by any means. Whilst I've used Servo AF quite extensively, I've never shot anything as erratic as BIF :)

....Sometimes it's best to ignore the theory and just try it and see. Joe's setting has improved my hit rate on BIFs so far - Although it is still early days. It locked focus onto a bird in a flock (Lapwings) more quickly even with a 1.4x Extender mounted (on Canon 100-400mm L II).

@Joeturner11 Joe, are you updating your review from time to time?

Back