Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

So what cards are you guys using with the7D2, not that I think I'm going to use it a lot at 10fps, but when I do, I need it to work :)

32gb - Lexar Professional 800x Speed (120 MB/s) UDMA 7 CompactFlash Memory Cards

Always proved reliable for me coupled with a good quality SD card.

I have a couple of 16GB 95mbps Sandisk cards that I use in the 6D, but I was considering some 64GB cards this time round....

Thought I would post examples of the 5 in-camera HDR effects of the 7D2. I have found that if you shoot just RAW, you end up with 1 jpeg image i.e. the intermediate JPEG versions of the RAW files are not saved. All shots were handheld 1/320sec at F8, ISO400. No post processing has been done.

0 - an original raw file
2016-01-13 08-50-08 TH0A1028.jpg

1. Natural
2016-01-13 08-50-08 TH0A1031.jpg

2. Art standard
2016-01-13 08-50-24 TH0A1035.jpg

(continues on next post)

3. Art vivid
2016-01-13 08-50-39 TH0A1039.jpg
4. Art bold
2016-01-13 08-50-52 TH0A1043.jpg
5. Art embossed
2016-01-13 08-51-04 TH0A1047.jpg

I think we can rule out 4 and 5 as being of any use. Personally I have been using Art vivid, as there appears to be more contrast than Art standard, but I have been de-saturating the colours slightly as they are just a bit too over the top.

Stephen

Ooh, that last one is nasty. :eek: :puke:

It seems to be good for showing spots on sensors though. ;) :LOL: Had you seen that already? :thinking:

You mean the one top left? Think that was something on the lens, or the in-camera sensor cleaning actually worked, as later images dont show the spot.

You mean the one top left? Think that was something on the lens, or the in-camera sensor cleaning actually worked, as later images dont show the spot.
I think something on the lens would have to be quite large to show up like this. It looked like it could be liquid as it is such a large circle, which the in camera cleaning may not get rid of. It shows up in the last two pics because of the higher contrast. I'd try taking a pic at your highest f stop with the last HDR setting again to see whether it is still there. Hopefully it has gone. :)

I've been following this thread for about a year now, trying to justify the purchase of a brand new shiny one!
I eventually succumbed to temptation last week, and took advantage of the Jessops % interest.

I am however still kicking my self, that I procrastinated just a little too much and
missed the "free" grip offer ( cash back from Canon) :(
( So not really wishing to spend approaching 200 quid, the Meike grips at a third of the price, do seem to get a favourable write up, any comments? )

My immediate thoughts, Its close enough to the Mk1 to get cracking straight away, but with enough new features to make my brain hurt a little, at my age, that's not so good :(
The thing that impressed me most (so far) as I hoped it would, is the iso handling. I tried a few crap / low light shots @2000 iso,and its better than the Mk1 @ 800 iso.
And gives me enough confidence to shoot on auto iso. (Which I never have done in the past)

I've not really had that much chance to play since, but lets just say, I have a good feeling about this (y)

Fading light in a dark area, damp grey and drizzling ..
resize and a little usm...

129A0110.jpg

Shot at the back of a dark "cave" 2000 iso a little more processing on this one

129A0128.jpg

Cobra, love those kits and the Cheetahs. I take it this was Whipsnade ?

On another note, is there a separate thread discussing settings ? I want to do some customisation.

Cobra, love those kits and the Cheetahs. I take it this was Whipsnade ?
Cheers Steve, indeed it is, is there any other zoo? :D

(BTW the Lynx kitts are fully grown now )

On another note, is there a separate thread discussing settings ? I want to do some customisation.
Not as far as I am aware, but you could always start one if you want to.

.... So not really wishing to spend approaching 200 quid, the Meike grips at a third of the price, do seem to get a favourable write up, any comments?

I've got the Meike grip on mine & it feels / works perfectly (y)

I went for the one with the built in wireless controls but I've not tried that bit yet :)

I've got the Meike grip on mine & it feels / works perfectly (y)
Thanks Brian (y)
I went for the one with the built in wireless controls but I've not tried that bit yet :)
I was in two minds about that, but having thought about it, it does make sense, and it's not a lot more expensive than without :)

I will try case 2 when I next head to Slimbridge... I wonder if this is a case for a 5D3 - I have both - most of what I shoot at Slimbridge takes place at dusk so I have been wary of the 7D2 because of the noise.. Or do you think that is not a problem now - the light fades quite quickly. I should take both and do a few shots with both, I guess! Thanks Joe!

OK, grabbed a few minutes at our local lake this afternoon. First real play with the new Mk2, coupled to my 150-600 S. Nothing exciting but a quick dry run. Really annoyed with myself as I disturbed a Little Egret on the riverbank on the other side of the road. Never seen one locally before and a bit "exotic" for my neck of the woods....

Anyway, a couple of shots:

Mallard by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Goose by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

First thoughts:

1. The camera & lens combo is good.
  2. Like all my current Canon bodies, it under exposes by about half a stop (I find this a real pain and it's the same with my 6D and my 7D1)
  3. The ability to focus on subjects which are quite small in the viewfinder is so much better than my 7D1
  4. Both shot at 1600 ISO and I haven't touched the noise in LR. These are raw files, resized, a tweak in curves and a little USM.

I need to do some further customisation of the body, but for a first quick session, I think I'm going to be pleased.

OK guys, serious question, I have asked this elsewhere but can't seem to get a clear answer, I own a 1DX, 5D3 and 1D4 - The 1DX is permanently fixed to my 800mm f5.6 usually. But those times when I am restricted for focal length, would I be better off with a 7D2 or is it just the same basically in terms of detail and ISO as I'd get from cropping with my 1D4? I seldom use it, the ability to crop with the 1DX is great but wondered in focal limited situations as it is with being out in the field in the UK photographing rarities or even waders, would I benefit from a 7D2? And sell the 5D3 and 1D4, or keep the 1D4 and sell the 5D3? I bought the 5D3 as a backup for the sports i shoot too, but I can't see the 1dx failing me at all so it just sits in the bag. Even cropped the images from the 1DX are better than the 5D3, and for many other reasons it is better including AF acquisition. I'd ike to hear your thoughts and particularly on the issue of cropping and 'reach' gained by using a 7D2 on an 800mm as opposed to a 1DX and cropping, and usable ISO.

Thoughts, please, gentleman and ladies?

Never experienced a 1DX so can't really comment on that, but as the in camera finished product is so good, why not dump the other 2 bodies and buy another 1DX ? You have already stated that the crops from it are better than a 5D3 image. If that's the case I'd run with two identical bodies personally.

I can see a point where my 6D is sidelined in favour of a 5D3 as the controls/menus/focus systems are all so similar (to the 7D2).

Never experienced a 1DX so can't really comment on that, but as the in camera finished product is so good, why not dump the other 2 bodies and buy another 1DX ? You have already stated that the crops from it are better than a 5D3 image. If that's the case I'd run with two identical bodies personally.

I can see a point where my 6D is sidelined in favour of a 5D3 as the controls/menus/focus systems are all so similar (to the 7D2).
I don't feel the need for another identical body, i want something different. Plus 1DX's are expensive. I'm just curious how the 7D2 compares and would like birders/wildlife togs to give me some insight into practical real world use. I use wondered if the 7D2 would provide more detail at focal length limited scenarios.

I think you'll be lucky to improve on the image quality of your 1DX, even when you have to crop it. I can see the major benefits of it being lighter and cheaper, but I'll wait for somebody with both to give you a proper comparison.

No Graeme. You would not be better off with the 7D2 unless you're shooting in good light at low ISO. If you want to shoot at highish ISO's then it doesn't cut the mustard in my view. I don't like wasting money on buying gear that I sell shortly afterwards but the 7D2 was consigned to the camera bag quite quickly and very rarely came out so after 6 months I moved it on at a big loss. It simply could not give me the quality I was after over the range of conditions I wanted to use it for. I did a couple of experiments when I bought my 7D2 in which I cropped my 1DX to the same size as the 7D2 which is a large mismatch in terms of MP in the frame. The 1DX acquitted itself pretty well even in that extreme test.

I'm not saying its a bad camera, in the right conditions it delivers but everyones requirements are different and it did not fulfill mine. If you're hell bent on trying one then get a grey import but keep your 5D3 and 1D4 until you're sure the 7D2 does the job for you.

That's it in a nutshell, Gary. My feelings exactly and I suspect George would also concur if he was available at the moment.

Bib

Thanks guys.
This was an interesting comment on another of my threads
I have both 7D2 and 1DX and can say that so far, the 1DX images look sharper and have more definition. If you have to crop a 1DX to match the image size of a 7D2, you will only get around 7MP image size compared with 20 for the 7D2, so your maximum print size will be much smaller.

Another issue to consider is the lens. All lenses will be sharper on the 1DX because the sampling frequency of the sensor is much lower (the pixel size is larger), and all lenses are sharper at lower frequencies. DXO Mark measure the perceptual megapixels of the 1DX and 600mm f4 as 17MP, which is a great performance on an 18MP camera. However, for the 7D2 it is only 12MP out of 20MP. Then, dropping the 1DX down to match the 7D2 means that the 7MP image size is a lot more comparable to the 7D2 at 12. However, there is still more detail and sharpness from the 7D2. Factor in image noise which reduces sharpness (and dynamic range) - and I would say that the 1DX is at least 2-3 stops cleaner than the 7D2 - then at 1600 ISO, the noise of the 7D2 is equivalent to the 1DX at around 6400, and the detail recording abilities swap over in favour of the 1DX.

The 1DX AF is also noticeably better at focusing with my 600mm f4 than the 7D2.

I'm afraid there is no clear answer because it depends on what you want to do with the images and how much you need to crop - ultimately detail is all about the number of pixels on the subject in relation to the image size.

Hope this has helped in a small way.

Thought I would post examples of the 5 in-camera HDR effects of the 7D2. I have found that if you shoot just RAW, you end up with 1 jpeg image i.e. the intermediate JPEG versions of the RAW files are not saved. All shots were handheld 1/320sec at F8, ISO400. No post processing has been done.

There is an option to keep the RAW files

OK guys, serious question, I have asked this elsewhere but can't seem to get a clear answer, I own a 1DX, 5D3 and 1D4 - The 1DX is permanently fixed to my 800mm f5.6 usually. But those times when I am restricted for focal length, would I be better off with a 7D2 or is it just the same basically in terms of detail and ISO as I'd get from cropping with my 1D4? I seldom use it, the ability to crop with the 1DX is great but wondered in focal limited situations as it is with being out in the field in the UK photographing rarities or even waders, would I benefit from a 7D2? And sell the 5D3 and 1D4, or keep the 1D4 and sell the 5D3? I bought the 5D3 as a backup for the sports i shoot too, but I can't see the 1dx failing me at all so it just sits in the bag. Even cropped the images from the 1DX are better than the 5D3, and for many other reasons it is better including AF acquisition. I'd ike to hear your thoughts and particularly on the issue of cropping and 'reach' gained by using a 7D2 on an 800mm as opposed to a 1DX and cropping, and usable ISO.

Thoughts, please, gentleman and ladies?

If you shoot in good light or any light that requires ISO's of 1600 or below the 7D2 will be a beneficial tool to have in your bag, if you need high ISO's then 1Dx is the only way forward to put it simply at that, I use the 7D2 more than both my 1D's and specially for wildlife photography it is always the first camera on the scene but the locations I shoot normally and images I aim for require me using a max of 800 ISO at the best of times as light is that good, so its really down to what you shoot, where you shoot and the lighting on the subject which you wish to shoot.

If you shoot in good light or any light that requires ISO's of 1600 or below the 7D2 will be a beneficial tool to have in your bag, if you need high ISO's then 1Dx is the only way forward to put it simply at that, I use the 7D2 more than both my 1D's and specially for wildlife photography it is always the first camera on the scene but the locations I shoot normally and images I aim for require me using a max of 800 ISO at the best of times as light is that good, so its really down to what you shoot, where you shoot and the lighting on the subject which you wish to shoot.

I agree 100% even at 1600 ISO I am unhappy with the noise 2000 is about the most I will ever shoot, just to get a shot, but not usable for anything more than facebook

This was shot at ISO16000 - F/2.8 - 1/640 under awful floodlights. Bit of time in Lightroom to tody it up, but for the purposes of the club website, twitter and simple promotional I have no complaints. But, it can be a lot worse if you crop in heavily.

Goole AFC v Ossett Town - 10th Nov '15 - (98) by Mark Gledhill, on Flickr

Went to WWT Barnes again today for a couple of hours. I can't believe how good this body is compared to the Mk1. Firstly I shot a Bittern from about 60 metres or so with the 150-600 attached (see here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/its-not-great-but-its-a-bittern.616808/#post-7292293) and then I had a quick crack at a Cormorant as it flew past, and that was pretty good too.

The Bittern would have just been a blur on my Mk1, it's always struggled to focus on stuff a long way off. As for the BIF shot, it's not brilliant, but the camera was only set up on "Case 1" and I wasn't really looking for it, it was just a quick grab shot:

Cormorant2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

This camera is really impressing me....

The continued comparison of the 7D2 and the 1DX is crazy - these are two very different cameras in very different price brackets. It's like saying Accrington Stanley aren't as good as Arsenal. What it does demonstrate IMHO is that the 7D2 is a very capable camera to even mention it in the same breath and yes I do own both.

The continued comparison of the 7D2 and the 1DX is crazy - these are two very different cameras in very different price brackets. It's like saying Accrington Stanley aren't as good as Arsenal. What it does demonstrate IMHO is that the 7D2 is a very capable camera to even mention it in the same breath and yes I do own both.

They are being compared because Canon and many reviewers compared the two. Price has nothing to do with it. The question was would the OP be better off with a 7D MkII instead of/to go with the cameras he owns. As he owns a 1DX the answer is essentially yes if you shoot in good light at low ISO, no if you want to shoot in light that forces a high ISO. That's assuming you want the best image quality.

If it works like the standalone GPS device (GP-E2) then it's EOS Map Utility that reads and loads the log files.

Bob

Last edited:
They are being compared because Canon and many reviewers compared the two. Price has nothing to do with it. The question was would the OP be better off with a 7D MkII instead of/to go with the cameras he owns. As he owns a 1DX the answer is essentially yes if you shoot in good light at low ISO, no if you want to shoot in light that forces a high ISO. That's assuming you want the best image quality.

My comment wasn't in specific relation to the question raised that you're referring to but the comparisons are all over every forum you go to. Yes, each camera has its own key selling points but I just don't get the comparisons.

So, I was at the NEC yesterday at the photography show and despite the wife telling me not to come home with a new camera or lens, I'm afraid the lure of double cashback resulted in a 7d mkii and grip in my camera bag! Not had chance to play yet, want to get the firmware up to date first. Am I right in thinking 1.05 is the latest?

Cheers

Back