Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Was shooting in some really rubbish light a while ago and decided to ETTR to make it easier to salvage in PP. What I noticed is that the 7D2 blinkies are much closer to saturation/blown highlights than the 7D1 which seemed to have more headroom for highlight recovery from the RAW files.

It's not an issue, just a learning for me that blinkies are a better representation of blown highlights on the 7D2.

John.

Can other 7d mk2 owners confirm how long it takes for an image to show on the screen after the preview button is pressed? My body had a little accident and fell out of my bag onto the road. Other than a broken battery compartment door, all seems fine (not even a scratch!). However I've now noticed that it takes a good 5+ seconds for images to come up after pressing the preview button. Trouble is, I can't remember if it took this length of time before but that fact that I've noticed it implies it didn't.

Thanks

Just pressed the button, about a second for the image to appear... That's with the camera awake.

Edit - with camera asleep, an image appears about two seconds after pressing the review button.

Last edited:
Just pressed the button, about a second for the image to appear... That's with the camera awake.

Edit - with camera asleep, an image appears about two seconds after pressing the review button.

Thanks. I haven't been able to check this but I wonder if the excessive time is when the camera is a asleep. I'll have a look tonight.

I have been lurking around this thread for sometime now and on Saturday at Park Cameras got a great deal on the 7D2 so am now an owner.

A question for Mr Grubby-Brian and Toggerman-Scott I see that you both use your 7D2's for Motor Sport and Aviation could you possibly let me have your favored AF cases etc so that I have a good starting point to work off please?

Any other help would be much appreciated too!!

Many thanks

The Sigma & 7D2 are good combo aren't they ?

Nice amount of detail in that shot...

I keep experiencing issues with shutter sounds, basically sounds like the exposure is a like a10th sec or something similar, even though the actual shutter speed is anything but that, anyone notice this? Maybe a shutter issue?

Don't want to sound insulting but have you been knocking it onto silent shutter mode ?

Don't want to sound insulting but have you been knocking it onto silent shutter mode ?
A good point that, not insulting at all as the shutter does have a different sound doesn't it, but the actual sound sounded "slower" than the silent mode. I looked at a couple of pics and they are oof even with a sensible shutter speed.

Is there an indicator on any of the screens that shows which AF case has been selected? I cannot see anything in the manual so I assume not.

Thinking of a battery grip for my 7d but £200 is too much for the official canon one, was told that hahnel are not making grips anymore. Has anyone used 3rd party grips

....It's your money of course but there are reasons why it's not worth the saving on buying a non-Canon battery grip. The main reason is that the Canon grip carcass is magnesium which the 7D2 body also is and is therefore much stronger and more durable. Also matching weatherproofing. Another reason is reliable electronic connections. A good friend of mine bought a third-party grip and is regretting it due to connection problems.

HDEW offer the Canon battery grip at a very competitive price (which is where I bought mine). Link below.

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-bg-e16-battery-grip-for-7d-mark-2-2920-p.asp

I keep my Canon grip attached to my 7D2 all the time and it's mostly in use with a Canon 100-400mm L II mounted plus occasional 1.4x Extender so it's quite weighty and the Canon battery grip really provides strong and reliable handling in the field.

Last edited:
I've got one as well, the only problem I've had is storing the £150 I saved ;)

....:LOL: I consider my peace of mind to be absolutely worth the £150 I didn't save (I saved £70 off Canon's RRP). But each to their own preference of course :)

I bought mine at the start of the year when Canon have cash back on buying the battery grip with the 7dmkII at the same time.

Worked out about the same price as buying an Import body and grip.
Plus I got uk warranty

Thinking of a battery grip for my 7d but £200 is too much for the official canon one, was told that hahnel are not making grips anymore. Has anyone used 3rd party grips
I bought a Meike grip for my 7DMk2 and have no issues with it at all.
I've got one as well, the only problem I've had is storing the £150 I saved ;)
Another Recommendation for Meike ( on the recommendation of Mr G) its never missed a beat. I'm more than happy, with it and the price was a nice bonus too.

I have to say I'm surprised there's not more genuine grips floating about s/h given that Canon offer

I have to say I'm surprised there's not more genuine grips floating about s/h given that Canon offer

....Do you mean that photographers would buy the 7D2 + Canon Battery Grip under Canon's offer but then sell the grip?

The 7D2 is fairly hungry on its consumption of battery power and so a grip is extremely useful. Plus the genuine Canon battery grip is superior in build, durability and weather sealing even if it is more expensive than the third-party alternatives.

... Plus the genuine Canon battery grip is superior in build, durability and weather sealing even if it is more expensive than the third-party alternatives.

The rubber peeled of the only genuine Canon grip I bought , Meike / Photomatix - no problems :)

Do you mean that photographers would buy the 7D2 + Canon Battery Grip under Canon's offer but then sell the grip?
I'm gutted I just missed that offer :(
My own fault for procrastinating on the BIN button :(

The 7D2 is fairly hungry on its consumption of battery power
Absolutely!

For anyone wondering about the water resistance of a 7D2, I got caught in torrential rain today with no protection whatsoever for either myself or the camera. I carried on using it on the basis it would get just as wet hanging at my side as being used; it behaved flawlessly and is still fine now it has dried out. It had a 100-400 IS ii on. Photo attached for illustrative purposes of quite how wet it was. Pip the dog, by the way, is still sulking and hasn't forgiven me, as apparently I control the weather and it was all my fault!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, I would love the proper canon grip, but I'm off work ill for a while, been diagnosed with me/cfs so money is quite tight, but using my body with a 150-600 at duxford was proving very uncomfortable. I also want to buy myself a smaller lighter camera too. The hdew price is only £20 less thank uk, so not worth it.

Just noticed that firmware v1.1.0 is out.

Stated compatibility with the new Canon SD WiFi card and also new setting giving ability to retract gear driven STM lenses on power-off.

Hi guys,

I'm planning to hire a 7Dii next weekend to test for my events work and will be taking photos of a charity cycle and run.

I currently shot with a 5D3 and 70-200mm 2.8. This has given me some good results, although it's only got 6fsp, so I'm interested to see howthe 7Dii will compare.

I'm wondering which lens to use, I could just put the 70-200 on, but wondering what other options there are? There don't seem to be many fast lens made specifically for APSC cameras?

IMHO the 70-200 2.8 will be a great choice, you need to get used to the autofocus options on the 7D Mk2 to get the best from it, let us know how it goes.

Back