Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

But don't those programs still use a camera profile based on the camera model on which the data was captured?

Bob

....They do IF the program has a camera model referenced in the software or computer's operating system. Apple haven't updated for the 7D2 yet :(

To be honest I think that photographers over obsess with clean noiseless images. I have to admit that I am one of them though my thoughts on the matter have changed a bit recently. 99% of the time I shoot with a tripod and use 100 ISO, though a few weeks ago I went to shoot a place and was told that photography was allowed but not the use of a tripod. Basically I farted about with trying to get a deep enough depth of field, whilst trying to also allowing enough light in so I didn't have to massively boost my ISO to extreme levels. Anyway I took the shot and when I pixel peeped to 100% sure enough there was noise. The thing was when I zoomed out and looked at the image it looked fine. I have since changed my opinion on noise images. If the image looks alright when zoomed out then I am happy. To hell with pixel peeping!

Can you also post them on the official 7D owners thread as well, please?

....I intend to post them there as you ask but to only post a link to them from here. No point in adding to the duplication which is already happening with the two threads.

So, ISO 6400 will be one of the first settings I do, along with Back Focus Button.

....They do IF the program has a camera model referenced in the software or computer's operating system. Apple haven't updated for the 7D2 yet :(
Precisely Robin. Until the third party software products offer a camera profile then it's likely that processed raws in DPP will be the best guide to the output. Anybody else's "standard" profile is going to come up short irrespective of whether they were working on lossless files.

Bob

I create my own profiles with a colorchecker passport, but that won't help with demosaicing algorithms and all the other nitty gritty under the hood type stuff. Frankly I have no idea what use a tiff file out of DPP would be. It will have a colour space and white balance supplied, along with a contrast curve and everything else. Raw files and the relevant raw software are what's needed - when it's available - for anyone who shoots raw.

I've had confirmation from Jessops that their first batch has arrived ready for Friday delivery. Now I just need to sort working from home!

You could, but then if you need the reach of the 1.6x crop you'd be spending a lot more than £238 on the longer L glass.

When will the message ever sink in?????????????????

It is not a crop, the image is the same size no matter what your sensor. It just covers more of a crop sensor than it does on full frame. It does not mean that you get extra 'zoom in'!

When will the message ever sink in?????????????????

It is not a crop, the image is the same size no matter what your sensor. It just covers more of a crop sensor than it does on full frame. It does not mean that you get extra 'zoom in'!

....Yep, and that's exactly why when you check the data of an image after uploading it to a computer, the lens focal length mm does not take into account the 'crop-sensor' factor (1.6x in this case) but it does of course take into account the x-factor of an extender when fitted (1.4x or 2x, for example).

Anyway, I can more easily afford canon's flagship crop-sensor 7D2 than a full-frame 1DX and Canon have designed it for wildlife which is what I shoot.

Last edited:
You are going to feel jealous again, @ChrisHeathcote Chris...

I have just unboxed my 7D Mark II and............................... :D

However comparing equivalent mp sensors you would have more pixels over the area on an apsc compared to ff
More pixels doesn't mean that the resolution of the image is any better though as there are few lenses available to supply the more densely packed APS-C sensor.

Bob

Heavy rain shots....now there's a good idea!!!!:banana::banana:

True, however I'm looking forward to seeing some comparisons between the 7d2 and 5d3

Well, for me they are for different applications, my 7D2 will be primarily as a back up, it can't have nearly as good a performance in terms of noise as the 1 Dx, that's why the 5D3 isn't as good as the 1 Dx in terms of noise, but will be better than the 7D2 and in some ways I'd have preferred the 7D2 to have less pixel density and a better low noise performance.

Be interesting to see the files it produces....but 10 fps is good.

Something I haven't seen posted on here.

Wildlife photographer talks about 7d2

Delivery due Friday. While I'm at work and nobody home to receive it. Awesome

Good job we're not holding our breaths for some pics, Robin... :tumbleweed:

....LOL :D

I haven't even formatted the SD and CF cards yet but I have stuck a battery in while the supplied one is charging up. I can confirm that the new battery version (extra juice) can be recharged with the same charger as my 70D. So that confirms that both battery versions can use the same charger.

DPP 3.14 is the version supplied on the CD disc but I'm not inclined to use that.

I did mount my Canon 400mm F/5.6L on the 7D2 and in ISO 6400 and Av, and tested the default AF centre point in the garden when it was almost dark and the red beam and AF locked on without any hunting and pretty fast, offering 1/30th sec at F/5.6. I have to say that I was amazed at how fast it found focus in very very murky low light conditions. Proper such tests in due course but I'm setting it up at my own pace so you'll just have to be patient.

Others here on TP with more experience than myself will post images on Friday or the weekend, I'm sure.

The firmware version on mine is 1.0.2, if that tells anyone anything.

Am just about to format the cards and continue working through the settings before shooting anything. Seagulls should really test the Autofocus system but where are they this morning!? It's overcast and drizzling.

Some advice needed please:

I have only one CF card (SanDisk 16 GB UDMA 7 Extreme) but a choice of SD cards:

A) - Lexar Professional 32 GB 600x SD

B) - SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SD

Obviously either SD card would work fine but which SD card is faster, please?

Stick each one in the camera in turn. Using a stopwatch fire off a burst at 10 FPS until the buffer is full and then continue timing until the card activity light turns off. Whichever finishes quickest is the fastest card for your camera.

Yes Robin, the CF is fine and I suspect either of the other ones would do, but Tim's idea is a good one!!..it would also be interesting to try the same test to see if the CF card is quicker than the SD cards, I suspect I'll just use the sd as a backup for overflow, but if the speeds are the same, then that would be great.
Never used an SD card in anger.

I have decided to primarily write images to the CF card - The UDLA 7 versions are reputed to be faster than a SD card. And I will then overflow into the Lexar Pro 32 GB SD card. In 18,700 actuations always set at 7 fps in my 70D (one card slot only), I have never filled up a 16 GB SD card and my 16 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SD card can be in my pocket just in case. I am usually able to upload my images the same day I took them.

Although I asked the question I'm not sure that the speed differences between the two SD cards are critical to my kind of photography - They'll all be fast enough.

The 7D2's Menu settings offer all the options you would wish for regarding card writing with two cards installed.

Anyway, I'll start off that way and see what happens - I want to get all the rest of my settings completed before going out and actually capturing some images.

Last edited:
I was in WEX this morning and they told me the first batch of 7D2's have been in, they have another 60 or so pre-orders to fulfil. I was hoping there would be one on display, but I had to console myself by buying an Elinchrom studio flash head for £ 15.

I was in WEX this morning and they told me the first batch of 7D2's have been in, they have another 60 or so pre-orders to fulfil. I was hoping there would be one on display.....
Bwahaha! I've got them!

Email from Tina earlier, £1187 at panamoz via BACs delivered/3yr UK warranty

Last edited:
£1415 delivered at today's exchange rate, George.....includes 4 years warranty like the 1Dx's

Bob
Hmm, and that's incl TVA I assume, what's your rate at the mo, Bob, about 21%?...about the same as Panamoz plus tax then.

Thanks,

George.

Hmm, and that's incl TVA I assume, what's your rate at the mo, Bob, about 21%?...about the same as Panamoz plus tax then.

Thanks,

George.
Yes, includes TVA at 20% George, so in the ball park.

I ordered a lens from a so called "grey importer" a while back as there wasn't anything available here at the time. The French customs send a copy of the import documents to the addressee as well as the importer so I was able to see first hand how they can sell at such low prices. A £700 lens with a declared value of less than £100.....it's amazing that they can get away with it so consistently.

Bob

I suspect there will come a day of judgement, but with the cut backs who knows?.....and the shippers (DHL etc) must know it goes on......but then Canon et al must know as well and you'd think they'd create a fuss.

George.

Just a minor update:

Both the new battery LP-E6N and older LP-E6 are totally interchangeable and the bundled charger is the LC-E6E and recharges both battery versions. Unfortunately the batteries look exactly the same except for tiny letters on the label.

Recommended CF card is a UAMD 7 type and the camera settings offer all the options you would wish for regarding what images you write to which card or both. SD cards should be type 1.

The autofocus system is extremely fast even with an extender and very impressive indeed and so are the number of settings you can change while still looking through the viewfinder.

By default the AF-ON button actions Autofocus with your thumb - Nice touch! and the DoF preview button is easily actioned by your little finger (uselessly tiny and stiff on the 70D).

I'm spending time reading the 500-page Guidebook and deciding my settings before I shoot any images. RTFM!

Overall, even before I have shot any images, it feels a bigger step up than I expected from the 70D in terms of features and design considerations by Canon.

Back