Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

I've been using a 7D for Motorsports for years & upgraded to the Mk2 late this year mainly for the increased ISO & better AF with my Sigma 150-600 sport.

T.B.H I've not noticed much difference for BTCC but it "feels" like the AF tracks better than my "old" 7D :)

Anyway, a few randoms from the BTCC at Silverstone & Brands Hatch

brands-13.jpg

brands-16.jpg

silv-11.jpg

silv-14.jpg

brands-11.jpg

silv-12.jpg
Many thanks mrgubby. Cracking set there. I like the pixels and reach on 7d2. Might be time to break open the piggy bank.

Any images/links/thoughts of motorsports with 7d2? Thinking of changing from 1d3 to 7d2 (or 1d4 but 7d2 appears to edge it).
Sorry if this has been asked before

I've been using a 7DII all of this season with a 100-400 II almost permanently welded on it. It's a fantastic bit of kit and although I loved my 1DIII it doesn't hold a candle to the 7DII. It's handled everything I've thrown at it with no problems at all.

121A5721 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A5235 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A4005 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A8424 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A7470 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A6510 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A9614 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A8108 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

There's a few more as well https://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_boulton/albums/72157654502760652

Last edited:
I've been using a 7DII all of this season with a 100-400 II almost permanently welded on it. It's a fantastic bit of kit and although I loved my 1DIII it doesn't hold a candle to the 7DII. It's handled everything I've thrown at it with no problems at all.

121A5721 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A5235 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A4005 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A8424 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A7470 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A6510 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A9614 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

121A8108 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

There's a few more as well https://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_boulton/albums/72157654502760652
Cheers Scott. Great set both here and on Flickr. I think my mind is made up. I've heard a lot about the customised AF system, etc.

hi guys rite im going to update my 7dii any one any idea what the root folder is on the sd card? is it dcim

when i open the card in the pc i see two folders dcim and misc

ah i had it just sitting ther and it did not see it bbs i will have a go now lol

got it fingers crossed lol

got it its showing 1.0.5 now it was on 0.2 will have a play this week and see i i see any dif

cheers guys

Last edited:
Heh, I was just on the which.com website ( I keep meaning to cancel my subs ) just looking at tablet reviews and for some reason decided to have a look at the DSLR reviews... they gave the 7d mark 2 69% and said it suffers in low light and generally weren't very appraising of it at all - even bemoaning it's lack of wifi and it's "fiddly" joystick control - whilst mentioning nothing of it's really excellent features such as the 65 point AF and dual processors, 2 memory cards etc. - yet gave my current DSLR, the 700D, a 73% score and mention nothing about the low light performance. Really do need to cancel my subscription lol.

Had a quick go in jessops today with one of these gotta be honest the build quality is brilliant I like it, I was going to get a 1dx but I gotta be honest I have a 5d mk iii already so have ff covered and a 6d so the 7d ii is on my wants list :)

I can vouch for the build quality. I had a heart stopping moment at the weekend, I had the slide strap attached to the foot of the 100-400 and whilst putting it over my neck managed to nudge the lens release button releasing the 7DII which bounced on hard ground below. Now fitting a small strap between the lens foot and RC2 mount on the body.

Heh, I was just on the which.com website ( I keep meaning to cancel my subs ) just looking at tablet reviews and for some reason decided to have a look at the DSLR reviews... they gave the 7d mark 2 69% and said it suffers in low light and generally weren't very appraising of it at all - even bemoaning it's lack of wifi and it's "fiddly" joystick control - whilst mentioning nothing of it's really excellent features such as the 65 point AF and dual processors, 2 memory cards etc. - yet gave my current DSLR, the 700D, a 73% score and mention nothing about the low light performance. Really do need to cancel my subscription lol.

That's because WHICH are a consumer group. If it's not more megapixels, it not worth having.

One I have just recently processed from the Summers week visit to the Farne Islands, shot using a custom CASE 2 setup that I recommend on my review CLICK HERE to view..

Canon 7D Mark II - 500mm f/4L - Handheld
(800mm total with the crop factor)
f/4 - 1/5000 - ISO 400
5% crop.

Atlantic Puffin (Fratercula arctica)
by Joe Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
[QUOTE="davholla, post: 7172599, member: 80124"
To be fair to the camera the light was appalling.[/QUOTE]

^ ^ ^ That is why.

Also you are shooting at ISO 6400 and at 600mm so I'm guessing a big enlargement. I don't know what the Tamron lens image quality is like.

Are you shooting RAW? If so, your post-processing might improve the images.

I was shooting raw, I will have to try to improve them that way. So it wasn't a big mistake for a macro/bird photographer to buy this?

I was shooting raw, I will have to try to improve them that way. So it wasn't a big mistake for a macro/bird photographer to buy this?

Not at all. I assume you meant 5D3 as an alternative. At ISO 6400 you're way past the sweet spot of the MkII for highly detailed images. You're using a relatively slow lens and your success rate will vary in the best of light but even more so in poor light.

Lots of options in the AF system and plenty of info out there about it.

Would it have been a better idea to lower the ISO and increase the exposure after taking it. Also would the flash have helped? (I wasn't sure if it would in this light).

So it wasn't a big mistake for a macro/bird photographer to buy this?

....Absolutely not a mistake at all. The 7D2 is specifically designed for wildlife (and action) photography. Every camera has a learning curve. Your gull shots aren't that bad considering the poor light anyway.

If you look at my Flickr photostream you'll see lots of varied wildlife images shot on the 7D2. But all on the Canon 100-400mm L II with and without the 1.4x Extender mounted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/

Would it have been a better idea to lower the ISO and increase the exposure after taking it. Also would the flash have helped? (I wasn't sure if it would in this light).

Lower ISO means lower shutter speed unless you can open up the aperture of the lens to compensate and potentially more shots out of focus. I would agree with Robin, considering the conditions they aren't too bad. You just have to accept that grey dull light generally gives dull images.

Great wildlife images generally need great light. There are exceptions but most of us want good light to photogrAph in.

@davholla David, I can totally understand your initial disappointment - When we invest not insignificant sums of money in camera gear after hours of research into making the best choice, we naturally have high expectations. Unfortunately the weather and hence light is as dull as dishwater right now. But don't lose heart, I am sure you will grow to love your 7D Mark II when light conditions improve.

Not at all. I assume you meant 5D3 as an alternative. At ISO 6400 you're way past the sweet spot of the MkII for highly detailed images. You're using a relatively slow lens and your success rate will vary in the best of light but even more so in poor light.

Lots of options in the AF system and plenty of info out there about it.

:agree:

@davholla I have a review online if you click the link below and shows a guide which I created on the autofocus and case modes if that might help giving it a read :)

REVIEW LINK

Thanks for that. One thing that puzzles me is that a lot of good photographers (like yourself) use different cases with often equally good results. I used case 3 on my photos the other day by the way.

ISO 6400 with a little bit of tweaking, still looks acceptable printed or on the big screen (IMO etc) :)

gangsta.jpg

ISO 6400 with a little bit of tweaking, still looks acceptable printed or on the big screen (IMO etc) :)

gangsta.jpg

I'm not saying that you cant take acceptable images @ 6400. My criteria is what it looks like printed at A3 for competition and exhibition. And I'm afraid by those criteria the MkII cant cut it at that ISO from my trials.

....Absolutely not a mistake at all. The 7D2 is specifically designed for wildlife (and action) photography. Every camera has a learning curve. Your gull shots aren't that bad considering the poor light anyway.

If you look at my Flickr photostream you'll see lots of varied wildlife images shot on the 7D2. But all on the Canon 100-400mm L II with and without the 1.4x Extender mounted.

I like your Flickr stream - a lot !
James

Nice pics on Fickr mate !
James

Back