Canon 7D vs Canon 60D

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys... I'm stuck!

I'm now in two minds what to get!

I was originally going to go for the Canon 60D, then I was told of a possible cash injection which made me think about the 7D, so I started looking at 7D reviews... And their all good!

But I've been looking now at the advantages of the 60D over the 7D. There are not many I know, but the articulating screen is really appealing to me for the Video side of things, even for photos!

Most of the Canon 7D extras will take me a long time to actually incorporate into my photography. I want to get into portrait photography (modelling), but I also want to experiment with videos and stuff... (Music videos and so on).

Couple of things I want to know -
Image quaility? What better, worse of same?
Extras: Pro's & Con's
Price difference: Are each camera worth the money they are?

Anyone who's used the both cameras that could give me advice?

Thanks.

P.s - I've watched the digitalRev reviews, but they didn't help much.

I've been pondering the same + 5DII in the mix.

From what I've read if anything the 60D shades the 7D for IQ as it has a touch less noise and can take a little more post capture processing as it displays less banding.

There also seems to be a complete lack 60D negative comment whereas the 7D took a fair bit of critisism early on for noise, banding and focus issues. Granted some or all of these issues may at least in part been down to user error but the silence in regard to the 60D seems to say good things.

And then there's the articulated screen.

As I don't shoot birds in flight or sports I think that the 60D is more my thing.

I was just gonna post this thread myself.
I'll just join in this one. I have a 30D, and the obvious choice of an upgrade would be the 7D. I did want the 5D MKII but I have quality EF-S lenses i'm more than happy with.

I also shoot lots of wildlife and Santa might be bringing me a Bigma for xmas so i'd like to stay with a crop sensor.

So, both 60D and 7D have identical sensors, sensitivity and HD movie modes. Also both have the same 63 zone metering system.
Isn't the 60D a 7D camera in a xxD plastic body with a few in camera creative filters and a potentially useful articulated screen? Personally, i like the screen. I have it on my SX1 and find it very useful.
Another thing too is that the 60D has some in-camera correctional features which correct CA and distortion.
Also the 60D offers a microphone input, as well as new audio setup controls to make moviemaking a more customised experience.

The 550D and the 7D lag behind the 60D in its features list. Do you really need them and would you sacrifice any of them for the more well built body of the 7D and faster burst mode?

Me personally, was thinking that from a 30D to a 60D wouldn't really give me what I wanted. But it ticks all the boxed I want it to, at a price £400 cheaper than the 7D.

And I think after this small rant, i've decided i'm gonna take a 60D for a test drive.

I'm not knocking any of you guys personally, but the same stuff gets discussed week in week out here on TP and the search facility is really very good (y)

60D or 7D?

I chose the 7D over the 60D or anything else for the following reasons...

1. Superior Autofocus system
2. Faster Frames per second
3. Better size/weight body (for my hands anyway)
4. Better weather sealing (irrelevant unless you use L glass)
5. AF Micro Adjustment
6. Bigger viewfinder

Have a look here at the spec comparison

I tried both at the LCE Canon day in Southampton on Saturday, and the 7D feels way more professional and has a MUCH bigger viewfinder. In fact I was blown away with it!

Saying that, the 60D still feels very solid and is lighter on the bag for those already lugging around heavy lenses for birding. Plus the flip out screen is pretty need and would be helpful for macros etc.

Don't forget either that 7D has twin Digic 4 processors while the 60D only has one.

Processing speed and pictures per second are completely irrelevant to me as I never take more than one picture at a time. I think that the fancy focus of the 7D will also be wasted on me as I'm happy with the focus of my 20D and a fair number of my shots are manual focus anyway.

I'm not really interested in MA as so far I've never had a focus issue that wasn't user error plus there seems to be a complete lack of focus issues attributed to the 60D on forums.

The magnesium v "plastic" debate leaves me cold, although a little frustrated. For me it's a complete non issue.

The thing that puts the 5DII out of the picture for me is the lack of flash, and that really is a killer for me.

Of the three, 5D, 7D and 60D, I'm really leaning towards the 60D but then I remember that my 20D does everything that I want... I just worry that one day it'll die as it's getting on for a DSLR now.

I'm not knocking any of you guys personally, but the same stuff gets discussed week in week out here on TP and the search facility is really very good (y)

1. Superior Autofocus system
2. Faster Frames per second
3. Better size/weight body (for my hands anyway)
4. Better weather sealing (irrelevant unless you use L glass)
5. AF Micro Adjustment
6. Bigger viewfinder

Search is for wimps! ... Jokes, I know what you mean, probs would get to me too!

I've just been in Jessops on my lunch and was very upfront with the guy about what I was looking for.
I wanted a good picture quality (60D actually beats the 7D in noise performance).
Ease of use... (again the 60D beats the 7D)

Now your "perks" are very well justified, but would I ever use or need them?... No.

Why spend the extra money (£300-400) on something that I will not use for a long time yet (years away from it).

The money I save I could put to a nice lens or something like that.

I think you're right Dean and that articulated screen will come in very useful.

The money I save I could put to a nice lens or something like that.
Pretty much what I decided too. I was worried by the lack of microfocus adjust, but then realised none of my lenses need it. The larger viewfinder would be nice, but other than that I don't need the extra 7D features. So I bought a 60D and so far I'm very happy with it.

I think you're right Dean and that articulated screen will come in very useful.

This is true! This was one of the reason my mind swayed to the 60D more also.

Pretty much what I decided too. I was worried by the lack of microfocus adjust, but then realised none of my lenses need it. The larger viewfinder would be nice, but other than that I don't need the extra 7D features. So I bought a 60D and so far I'm very happy with it.

My mind is pretty much made up now, I'm going to buy the 60D over the 7D, save the money, buy the add-ons (grip, lens, filters. shutter release)

Also another good thing, I've read somewhere that the 60D also comes with the wireless flash trigger? Correct me if I'm wrong as this was the main thing I liked about the 7D.

Please the build in level meter is also on the 60D.

I've just been in Jessops on my lunch and was very upfront with the guy about what I was looking for.
I wanted a good picture quality (60D actually beats the 7D in noise performance).
Ease of use... (again the 60D beats the 7D)

I own a 7D and I'm thinking about getting a 60D to replace my 50D. The image quality from the two is near-identical. 7D only has a noise problem when you underexpose and try to recover in post-processing. If you ignore the articulated screen of the 60D then the 7D is a lot easier to use. The wobbly pad that replaces the joystick is almost unusable for somebody with large hands.

If you're a wildlife or sports shooter then the 7D's extra 'perks' of the 7D are really, really nice.

So why am I thinking of getting a 60D? It's that articulated screen. And not for video, but for macro and astro. Both types of shooting often require the camera to be in positions that make using the viewfinder, or seeing the LCD, virtually impossible without being a contortionist. As soon as I held a 60D and flipped out that screen I knew I'd be wanting one.

Well, as my budget would not stretch I've brought myself a lovely Canon EOS 60D for now. 3 Year warranty that I will let run out, and just before I bet it breaks!

Then I will look at what's out at the time.

tbh both are cracking camera's and will please most people....

I think anybody would be happy at owning a 60D as it is a decent evolution from the 50d if you aren't hung up on the construction...

I bought my 7D because I wanted to try sports, wildlife and birds in flight etc...
I wanted people to think about what it actually can do (not sure of the exact features of the 60D) as I do think often the devil is in the detail when looking at a camera and sometimes things aren't clear when your buying a camera what all the features do...

Since I bought it I have :-

• Taken some birds in flight using the fancy AF (including focus point expansion) (very happy with the results as well)
  • Used the 8fps as above to help....
  • Used the wireless flash trigger to shoot macro with a hand held off camera flash
  • Used the in camera level on a tripod to make sure I was level
  • Used the the automatic switch AF point in horizontal or vertical to capture street on the fly without having to switch manually
  • Used the laser grid display in the viewfinder to frame my shots into thirds etc..
  • Used the button customization to set at least 3 buttons to new functions
  • Taken a hand held picture at 2000 with no noticeable noise...
  • Loved the huge viewfinder (compared to my 450D)
I am sure there are more features to highlight...

Anybody else ?

I am sure there are more features to highlight...

Anybody else ?
The one thing I haven't tried yet is to remap a different AF pattern to a button in the custom functions. For example for bird photography you could be shooting static birds, see a BIF opportunity and switch to a pre-set multi AF point option with a complete set of different AF parameters at the touch of a button.

The only problem unless I've misunderstood it is that the only button you can assign the function to is the DOF preview button which is just about the most awkward button to access on the camera, particularly using long lenses.

I think Canon have really missed a trick with the way this is set up on the camera.

Last edited:
The one thing I haven't tried yet is to remap a different AF pattern to a button in the custom functions. For example for bird photography you could be shooting static birds, see a BIF opportunity and switch to a pre-set multi AF point option with a complete set of different AF parameters at the touch of a button.

The only problem unless I've misunderstood it is that the only button you can assign the function to is the DOF preview button which is just about the most awkward button to access on the camera, particularly using long lenses.

I think Canon have really missed a trick with the way this is set up on the camera.

Interesting one.... Not tried that...

Time to get the book out again :)

Ok! So I've played with it a bit... What a camera! Off camera flash control just opens up so much more for me.
The quality of the images are just out of this world compared to the 400D... What can I say! Very happy 60D user.

Now just to try the Movie mode... need to wait for a better mem card for that first.

Ok! So I've played with it a bit... What a camera! Off camera flash control just opens up so much more for me.
The quality of the images are just out of this world compared to the 400D... What can I say! Very happy 60D user.

Now just to try the Movie mode... need to wait for a better mem card for that first.

Congrats... Enjoy the new toy :)

Try the movie mode anyway, you will be surprised at how easy it is...

I really don't understand where the issues of IQ & noise on a 7D come from. I've shot at 100, 200, 400, 800 & 1600 ISO without any issues at all. It takes great wildlife photo's, but it's portrait & landscape performance isn't that shabby either.

Dean, best of luck with the 60D, I had a play in Jessops the other day and for most things I think you'll be more than happy, but a little light for me. The wireless flash system also works on the 60D too.

Steve

I really don't understand where the issues of IQ & noise on a 7D come from. I've shot at 100, 200, 400, 800 & 1600 ISO without any issues at all. It takes great wildlife photo's, but it's portrait & landscape performance isn't that shabby either.

Dean, best of luck with the 60D, I had a play in Jessops the other day and for most things I think you'll be more than happy, but a little light for me. The wireless flash system also works on the 60D too.

Steve

I am not sure were the IQ issue comes from either !
All the reviews I have read are all very possive about the 7D, I have not read any thing about IQ at all !
Compared to my 400D the IQ is a big step up. It is an amazing DSLR :)

I really don't understand where the issues of IQ & noise on a 7D come from. I've shot at 100, 200, 400, 800 & 1600 ISO without any issues at all.

Ah! But have you tried taking pictures and boosting the exposure three stops and then looking at the shadow areas at 200% magnification? No, nor have I. Probably why neither of us have seen these 'problems'.

I really don't understand where the issues of IQ & noise on a 7D come from. Steve

There are plenty of examples on the net of both low ISO noise and banding and I'm sure that you'll be able to Google your way to examples and discussions should you wish to do so.

As an outsider looking in the high ISO performance looks good and doesn't worry me, my concern would be with the lower to medium ISO performance and that's what much discussion has been about.

I can't remember his name now but there's a famous photographer (now switched to Nikon) who has a blog and posted a long 7D review over a period of weeks / months including his experience in the Arctic, or Antarctic, I forget which.... maybe you saw it? That blog had quite an effect on me as some shots showed excessive noise as did shots taken by others both amateur and professional and the fact that professionals seemed to be having trouble did worry me.

I don't know if noise was only an issue with earlier cameras or not.

The banding issue may only be related to specific circumstances or excessive post capture boosting, I don't know, but both issues seem to be something that the competition doesn't suffer to the same extent if at all.

I can't say why some are affected by these issues and others aren't but personally I wont be buying any new Canon DSLR before taking example shots and processing them myself on my own PC to see if I'm happy with the results or not. Maybe that's what we should always do.

Slightly epic thread revival but glad you guys have been discussing. Originally i wanted a 5D II to replace my 50D, but i think ill miss my crop factor plus although i physically have the cash for a 5D II i cant really afford it tbh. So that left me with the 60D or 7D. I'm really stuck between the two of hem but one things for certain, they are so similar it makes it even harder to decide. As the OP, has anyone used both? Found any negatives with either camera? The wireless flash built in both is a great selling feature for me personally but i find the lure of the vari-angle screen almost irresistable, any reason why id regret buying a 60D over a 7D or vice-versa (damn they were good sweets, i miss them :()? I nearly considered buying a Nikon D7000 instead but then i woke up and realised it was a nightmare :D

Cheers team :)

Si

Last edited:
any reason why id regret buying a 60D over a 7D
The focusing system is the main area where the two differ from a functional viewpoint. The 60D has in-camera raw processing too, but not sure how useful that is. From a use PoV, the 7D has a funky LCD screen instead of a focusing screen and the viewfinder is slightly larger. Also 7D has a magnesium alloy body so should feel a bit more sturdy. As you know, the 7D doesn't have the articulating screen.

They both have the same sensor, with (I guess) similar software, so the images they produce should be pretty similar.

Cool, thanks Andy. So the 7D defo wins then. I admit the flippy screen would be helpful but id still rather have the better of the two. Since my 50D has a mag alloy body and it feels ace, i think the 60Ds aluminium/glass fibre body would feel a bit strange. Im thinking its 60/40 in the 7D's favour atm. More research due i think.

Saw an issue of Amateur Photographer in WHS today and a comparison of these two are featured, might invest in a copy to read whilst car is in for a service tomorrow.

Saw an issue of Amateur Photographer in WHS today and a comparison of these two are featured, might invest in a copy to read whilst car is in for a service tomorrow.

I beg you... DONT BUY IT!!! I did and its the worst magazine ive ever bought in my life. the review isnt great, not really anything oriignal. I found out more online tbh.

I have no experience of the 60, but having gone through the process of elimination at the end of last year I ended up with the 7D. I am very happy with it and don't regret the purchase in any way. It works for me in both close up and landscape.

I beg you... DONT BUY IT!!! I did and its the worst magazine ive ever bought in my life. the review isnt great, not really anything oriignal. I found out more online tbh.

I think it's the worlds oldest photo mag, although I might be wrong. They do have a web site and forum.

I had the 60d it is a good camera but i sold it on ebay and changed to the 7d. I find the 7d faster and the focus points a lot better on moving subjects i found the 60d swivell screen only usefull in live mode and video mode i also found when it was open it kept getting caught up on the camera strap but it has nearly everything that the 7d has for 300 pound less. If i could go back and choose between both again i would still choose the 7d it feels great in your hand real chunky and works more like the 5d.

In the end I went for the 7D because of the weather sealing and metal body as opposed to the polycarbonate body of the 60d.

Screw it, i decided today, no more deciding im just going for 5D Mk II lol

Lol - I dont mean to spam but thats just funny. Good choice though mate.

Oh nothing mate, was just that you ruled out the 5D 2 in your first post, then after a number of re-posts ended up on the 5D 2 - Just my sense of humour getting the better of me.

The Camera it's self is amazing I know a pro in my local area that uses it... He couldn't bet happier.

lol yeah, tell me about it :D ive pulling my hair out trying to figure out what i should get :D

My main thinking is if i wanted the crop factor back then i could use an extender but then i thought whats the point in buying fast lenses if im gonna lose a stop of it just by putting an extender on (or 2 stops for 2x). But, if i got a 7D or a 60D, because ive wanted the 5D for ages they would just leave me thinking about the 5D, screw it im confused again lol :D

Back