Canon 85mm Prime (non L). Thoughts?

The Canon f/1.8 (the one you're referring too?), is my favourite lens for portraits by far. It's pin sharp, with great bokeh. I've used the f/1.2, and it is a set up, but for the price difference, I wouldn't consider it.

On a similar note, the difference between the 50mm f1.4 and the L f/1.2 is much larger, and would justify the price to upgrade.

I dont own one myself, but it is a much loved lens and for the price/performance is without question an amazing lens!

I had a go with it doing some location portraits of my wife. Will post some pics on the forum when I've PP'd them but it was awesome IMHO.

I used one before I got a Sigma 85mm f/1.4. It's a great lens - focusing maybe a little bit slower than some lenses and I recall occasionally had issues with softness shooting backlit, but may have been a less than perfect lens.

I like the Sigma much more, but there's quite a price difference.

Are you intending to use it on a full or crop frame? Om my 5d mk2 it's brilliant for portraits, but then so is my 100mm macro, 70-200 zoom...... It often depends upon the circumstances (available space and light) and the subject but you won't go far wrong with the 85 in my humble opinion.

It's a mixed bag. Yes it is sharp but it suffers from CA. (Of course with software you can remove it). My copy does not always focus accurately when used wide open. The lens coatings are outdated for digital so it flares very easily however you may like the effect. Saying that at the price it is now, it's worth buying to try out.

I own an 85mm 1.2L II - Its a fantastic lens when used on a full frame body. At 1.2 focussing has to be precise or the entire image could lok soft

I have an 85mm, but strangely rarely use it. I tend to use the 24-70L instead. Might have to get it out again ..

Stick a set of tubes on it and it's good for macro too.
Matt

I borrowed one from a friend to try on my FF for a Portrait session.
Absolutely loved it.
Handed it back and bought myself one.

I love mine, too. I use it mostly for portraits, using a full frame camera, but find it too 'long' for indoor portraits using a crop sensor camera. That said, one time when I had enough space, it was great on a crop as well.

The lens coatings are outdated for digital so it flares very easily
I don't get what you mean because any light that is likely to cause flare will be analogue. The technology has changes but light is still analogue.

Yes I stand corrected. Regardless digital or film this lens flares!.

I used one for a while and I found it to be very good. Superior to my 50mm f1.8 at equivalent apertures.

it was the 2nd lens i bought, i used to use it for gigs before i went full frame/and/or finally got a 24-70mm lens - it's a cracking lens and i should use it more, just don't have the occasion to, but i always loved the results, even from my 350d when comparing to a newer camera, i was always happy!

A lens I have, but very rarely use. Going to have to have another go with it after reading this.

Back