Radiohead

Mine sucks
Name
Guy
Edit My Images
No
Monday 5th January 2009
Chris Cheesman
Japanese photography giants Canon and Nikon have confirmed that they have been forced to raise product prices as a result of the rising yen and plunging pound.

Canon Europe today told Amateur Photographer that it has increased the price of 'certain products' from this month.

However, it is not yet clear which products are affected. A spokesperson for Canon Europe would only say that retailers have already been notified of the increases.

Canon blamed the rises on 'currency fluctuations and the recent rapid increase in the value of the yen versus the euro'.

Meanwhile, Nikon UK revealed that it will increase the prices of 'imaging and optics products' from 12 January - owing to 'volatile exchange rate conditions'.

The firm said it will not announce the extent of the price increases before that date.

The UK spokesperson added: 'All product groups will be affected to some degree. A recommended retail price list will be available to view from 12 January at Nikon UK - Home.'

The value of the euro fell 25% against the yen last year, with the pound faring even worse against the Japanese currency.

Sony had yet to respond to a report in the Financial Times that it is also poised to raise prices as it 'struggles to make money on imports into Europe'.

Canon and Nikon hike prices as pound plummets

It looks like Canon have already raised the RRP of the 5D II to £2450 from £2300.

Thanks for the post. I guess we should just wait and see on the 12th but 15% was the figure I was told over the phone from two separate online retailers.

So, i'm looking at getting a 1000d on Wednesday. Will the prices be same then or will they have gone up already?

And all these people expecting prices to fall before the announcement of new gear soon.........

Allan

My friend at amazon also tells me Sigma are putting their prices up in 2009 - I think it might be quite a rise too! :crying:

well, i've done my shopping for the gears i wanted for now. hope it won't effect me really :D

aye.. the pound is on a steady decline now.. :crying:

My friend at amazon also tells me Sigma are putting their prices up in 2009 - I think it might be quite a rise too! :crying:

They did last year too.

I race R/C cars and one of the manufacturer cars I run recently increased prices across their range by 25%.

What class do you race?
I had to skip the 2008 season because of money, hoping to get back before the end of 2009.

1/10th offroad and 1/10th EP touring cars. Mirage stated that all xray prices are going up 25% :(

The problem is, they will keep the prices high when the pound/euro recovers.

Although I live in Italy and the increase in the UK does not affect me as such, I think it is dismaying that Canon and Nikon both intend to increase prices for what is simply an excuse, not a reason (and I would guess an increase here in mainland Europe is not far away either). :shake: In these times of worldwide crisis one would at least expect the BIG names (ones least likely to suffer) to come to the aid of us "normal" people with a hobby and keep prices steady. But I guess that would be too much hoping!

I think it is dismaying that Canon and Nikon both intend to increase prices for what is simply an excuse, not a reason (and I would guess an increase here in mainland Europe is not far away either). :shake: In these times of worldwide crisis one would at least expect the BIG names (ones least likely to suffer) to come to the aid of us "normal" people with a hobby and keep prices steady. But I guess that would be too much hoping!

You obviously lack the insight into how multi-national companies work...

The "local" arm of these companies will be wholly owned by the Japanese (in this case) parent. Their profits will have to go back to the parent company.

Weaknesses in the local currency vs the currency of the parent will cause effective loss of profits.

Couple that with a general downturn in the market for luxury goods (for that is what we are talking about) and its a case of increase prices or fail.

The only other route would be to give up your local divisions and to sell directly to wholesalers from Japan - which isn't a model most modern businesses want to do because it doesn't give them much control of pricing and customer service.

i have been told by a very good buisness man/friend of mine that we are going to be foreced to take on the euro as the pound looks set to drop even more in this credit crunch i have been told by most of my suppliers that i am expected to see a increase around 20 percent i think canon and nikon are going to get another price increase after this one aswell

Glad I got my 70-200 just before christmas:)

can't say i didn't see this coming, Sony announced that all their products are going up 25% come January a month ago due to the weak pound.

It make no difference to me as i either buy it now and pay more on the interest on the credit card or buy later when i saved up the money and it'll still cost the same in the end.

Been trying to buy Nikon kit today, everyone seems out of stock of long Primes, even Nikon UK.

Retailers are saying No guarantee on prices, even if ordered today :(

i have been told by a very good buisness man/friend of mine that we are going to be foreced to take on the euro

Highly unlikely, and pretty much anyone spouting that doesn't understand that joining a single currency like the Euro is not just about a politician signing a bit of paper!

Merging monetary systems needs to be done carefully - you introduce a crap economy into the pool and you'll break it. So they have a fairly complex set of indicators to decide if you are healthy enough to join in.

The specific criteria of not having a government defecit of more than 3% of GDP would almost certainly mean its impossible to join in the short term...

If you want to read more, have a look here:

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/the_euro/joining_euro9413_en.htm

But basically, it couldn't happen in the time frame of this crisis and the mere fact that there is a crisis in the first place makes in unlikely at all!

Been trying to buy Nikon kit today, everyone seems out of stock of long Primes, even Nikon UK.

Retailers are saying No guarantee on prices, even if ordered today :(

try Jacobs or BTShop - They guaranteed prices for me (I have it in writing!)

EDIT: Just as well too cos I just checked BT shop website and the D90 has just gone up from £549 to £605!!

Last edited:
:eek: Camera Price Buster price on the Nikon AF-S II 300mm F/2.8 ED-IF

Has gone up from £2749 yesterday to £3319. today :(

Not a suprise, it's all overly priced anyway. If we all stop buying new demand wouldn't be there and prices would drop maybe, now where's that box brownie?

kinda Fluffs up Gordons vat rate cut for joe average in the street and wont help the economy.

I wonder if it will eventually be beneficial to buy abroad and pay the import duty plus an insurance policy to cover any repair.

:eek: Camera Price Buster price on the Nikon AF-S II 300mm F/2.8 ED-IF

Has gone up from £2749 yesterday to £3319. today :(
Yeah, but there's only one shop that still sells that version.

The one you want is the newer and better AF-S 300mm f/2.8 G IF-ED VR. There a half a dozen retailers who are advertising that between £2750 and £2800. Still.

looks like Mifsuds have already increased their prices by around 20% on Nikon gear.

The one you want is the newer and better AF-S 300mm f/2.8 G IF-ED VR. There a half a dozen retailers who are advertising that between £2750 and £2800. Still.

The one I want is the AF-S 300mm F4 sitting on your shelf, wanting to get out more ;).

Phoned eight retailers today after the 300 F/4 none available, Nikon UK had no Stock, No one would guarantee a price, some quoted 6 weeks delivery, one had 7 on back order for customers?

Strange way for Nikon to run a business, keeping supply short, feel sorry for the retailers who are struggling for business.

One big retailer had a display model, they would not even sell that ???.
Thought they would have taken my hand off, offering their New price for it,

So I gave up :(

They nearly all said prices going up on the 12th by 15-20%

Saw Canon's new UK price list today and nearly fainted off.

For example, the RRP on the G10 is now £509.99.

The 1ds Mark III has shot up by £1700.00.

What a disaster......

Saw Canon's new UK price list today and nearly fainted off.

For example, the RRP on the G10 is now £509.99.

The 1ds Mark III has shot up by £1700.00.

What a disaster......

That is pretty bad. I guess now would be a good time for a UK camera manufacturer to come into play :shrug:, given that UK made products are likely to benefit from huge import expenses on foreign made products.

Up by £1700! Jesus, that's a D700 and 50/1.8 on it's own!

This is probably the reason for the D3x being £5500 from new then, if they knew this was coming.

Up by £1700! Jesus, that's a D700 and 50/1.8 on it's own!

This is probably the reason for the D3x being £5500 from new then, if they knew this was coming.

Yeah - the whole thing is shocking and it is going to kill more traders for sure. The clever thing is that the 'big guns' will have bought pallet loads of the stuff at old price and apply new pricing tomorrow......

Phoned eight retailers today after the 300 F/4 none available, Nikon UK had no Stock, No one would guarantee a price, some quoted 6 weeks delivery, one had 7 on back order for customers?

Strange way for Nikon to run a business, keeping supply short, feel sorry for the retailers who are struggling for business.

I was helping my mate source a D60 for his Dad's birthday. One guy in a shop said Nikon stock is scarce as it comes from Nikon Europe and due to the weakness of the £ that Nikon Europe will not sell to Nikon UK at the quoted prices.
Not sure if he was fobbing us off, but it does fit with your experience as well as ours.
We got the prezzie in the end, but we did some miles!

Back