Canon DSLR to Leica

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

It's been a number of years since I've been on here, but recently had the thought that many of you may also be experiencing... should I sell up my DSLR and go Leica? I use my DLSR maybe twice a year these days. The best camera is the one you have with you, often that's my iPhone 11 pro max.

I'd like to hear your experiences, and if you have any advice for this financially damaging journey.

Current: 5D2, 35L, 17-40L, 70-200Lf4IS, 85/1.8, 24pancake

Looking at Leica M10 with 50/1.4 summilux

Sounds like you've already got a pocketable camera with you; in which case how would a separate smallish camera with one lens help? Could it be that what you really need is to set aside a bit of dedicated time to do some photography? If so, is changing kit likely to address that issue?

Is it really the size of your camera kit that stopping you taking it with you more often, or would a new, smaller, camera meet the same fate once the novelty had worn off?

Hi all

It's been a number of years since I've been on here, but recently had the thought that many of you may also be experiencing... should I sell up my DSLR and go Leica? I use my DLSR maybe twice a year these days. The best camera is the one you have with you, often that's my iPhone 11 pro max.

I'd like to hear your experiences, and if you have any advice for this financially damaging journey.

Current: 5D2, 35L, 17-40L, 70-200Lf4IS, 85/1.8, 24pancake

I know there is the Leica itch. I get that myself! But cost wise I'd be tempted with a Sony A7iii body or something and Voigtländer 50/1.2

What is your main reason for not using your Canon system?

size. I tried to address that with the pancake, but still it something that I can't leave in my pocket and take around easily.

Sounds like you've already got a pocketable camera with you; in which case how would a separate smallish camera with one lens help? Could it be that what you really need is to set aside a bit of dedicated time to do some photography? If so, is changing kit likely to address that issue?

Is it really the size of your camera kit that stopping you taking it with you more often, or would a new, smaller, camera meet the same fate once the novelty had worn off?

I use 35L 90% of the time, the bokeh and subject isolation being most important to me. Although the iPhone 11 pro has the third lens which is pretty decent at 52mm effective, f/2, it's no comparison to what the Leica can produce (sooc, wifi to your phone).

you're right, it may just be GAS, and the novelty wear off soon after. What I know is that I will definitely sell off my DSLR, the question is whether or not to get the Leica, or just stay with mobile phone.

I know there is the Leica itch. I get that myself! But cost wise I'd be tempted with a Sony A7iii body or something and Voigtländer 50/1.2
Thanks for the pointer... looks pretty chunky. Unashamedly also, I'm lured by the romance of the Leica over Sony lol. Yes, I drive a Range Rover , and have never taken it off-road.

I've owned and used Leicas with film and have long thought the M3 was by far the best. Having looked closely at the digital versions I think that many other cameras do it better. Of course if all you want to do is show off, that's a whole different question.

Camera Leica M3 made with Canon Eos 650_11_07_014.jpg

I traded in my 5D and bag of L lenses for a Fuji X-T2 and I’ve been shooting loads more.

The Leicas are nice, but the Fuji kit is also good.

You may want to look at the SonyRX1R. Unless that LEICA itch is overwhelming. :giggle:

Hi, I use a Leica M9 since 2010 (SONY A7R2s and a Nikon D800). I can understand you. My Leica is the camera I like using most. It is the whole photographic experience I enjoy.

However, I would recommend being cautious. Borrow an M and a 50mm lens for a weekend to find out whether you are really satisfied with it.

And if you decide to buy an M, you might also consider the 35mm Summicron, if you want a really pocketable camera.

One should (try to) be realistic. Leica Ms have their limitations. That is why I use other camera systems, too.

I’ve done what you are thinking of. In my case, my usual gear was Canon (1DIV and 1DX with a pile of fast lenses for sport photography). I got the Leica itch when I went on one of their experience days at the London store and played with an M9. That was it - game over.

I ended up going M9, then M240, then M10. The lenses I went through were Zeiss 50 planar (f2), Leica 50 Summicron, 50 Lux, 28 Summarit, 28 Cron, 24 Lux, 90 AA Cron. All amazing. My “holy trinity” was the 24 Lux, 50 Lux and 90 Cron. Stupendous.

But...it’s not without issues in the Leica M world.

Annoying stuff
  • Focus accuracy - tricky, especially with the 90mm at f/2
  • Rangefinder uncertainty - is it me, is it the rangefinder, so I send it away, dare I touch that allen key adjuster myself...
  • Minimal automation.
  • Getting good at focusing - spur of the moment shots ARE tricky whatever anyone on Youtube says.
  • Kind of clunky.
  • VERY expensive, especially in Summilux-land.
  • No zooms, so get used to thinking ahead.
  • No long lenses (that are useful) so 90mm is your max realistically.
  • Annoying but useful clip-on viewfinder is extra £££
Great stuff
  • The experience of shooting with a Leica M is second to non - it is hugely involving. Everyone should do it.
  • Yes, the images do have a certain something about them. Mainly from the wide aperture lenses.
  • Amazing quality of their top-end lenses. It’s like there’s nothing in front of the sensor. The 24 Summilux is a thing to behold - astonishing clarity, sharpness, colours.
  • An M package is solid, and just a lovely thing to have and hold and use.
  • Once you get the hang of it, you’ll love it.
My recommendation for you - don’t go all-out for an M10 and 50 lux. That’s a lot of money for something you’re asking about on a forum. You may well have the money, but...you could save 000’s and use it go go somewhere to take pictures.

I suggest the following approach:

Get an M9 (with changed sensor) and 2nd hand 50 Summicron (or a Zeiss 50 planar) to start with. If you don’t like the experience, you’ll lose virtually nothing on the body and lens. If you do like it, you’ll have an outstanding little package for less than £3k, and you’ll be into the system. The M9 is a gorgeous camera, believe me. It’s a joy to use and the images from it are just gorgeous. Then, if you find yourself smitten, which you will, you can either trade the M9 for an M10, or keep the M9 and get another lens (like a 28 or 35) and have a 2-body setup :)

I’m not sure where you live, but I recommend Red Dot Cameras for used gear.

I sold my M10 and 24 & 50 luxes a while back, and have moved over to a Leica CL with 18-56 and 55-135 zooms, primarily for flexibility and lightness for landscape photography, and a Leica Q which gives me a stunningly good 28mm 1.7 full frame travel cam. I’ve got a Leica T (cheap as chips!) which has a brilliant touch screen interface, and takes the same lenses as the CL, and I have a 23mm on that.

I have been sniffing around used M9s again....withdrawal symptoms have set in. If I went that way I’d get an M9 and 35/75 combo.

Hope this helps. Happy spending!

I ended up going M9, then M240, then M10. The lenses I went through were Zeiss 50 planar (f2), Leica 50 Summicron, 50 Lux, 28 Summarit, 28 Cron, 24 Lux, 90 AA Cron. All amazing. My “holy trinity” was the 24 Lux, 50 Lux and 90 Cron. Stupendous.

What, no 35 cron? :)

Get an M9 (with changed sensor) and 2nd hand 50 Summicron (or a Zeiss 50 planar) to start with. If you don’t like the experience, you’ll lose virtually nothing on the body and lens. If you do like it, you’ll have an outstanding little package for less than £3k, and you’ll be into the system. The M9 is a gorgeous camera, believe me. It’s a joy to use and the images from it are just gorgeous. Then, if you find yourself smitten, which you will, you can either trade the M9 for an M10, or keep the M9 and get another lens (like a 28 or 35) and have a 2-body setup :)

The M9 has something of a cult following, with a nice look to the out of camera images and a body that's a little thinner than the M240. But the sensor had a flaw that caused it to degrade over time, and quite a few had a bad sensor replaced with another sensor of the same version, which is still a ticking time bomb. More recent replacements used the updated sensor that doesn't self-destruct, but proving the camera has one can be tricky. There's a specific firmware version that was apparently only ever installed at the factory when the updated sensor was fitted, but that may have been overwritten if the user later installed a more recent version. Otherwise, you'd need paperwork for the date of the replacement. Without this sort of evidence I woudn't touch an M9. Otherwise, the M240 is probably a safe bet, not that much more expensive, and has much better high ISO.

Hi, I do not know whether my remarks are really helpful. - I may be little biased, owning a Leica M6 since 1988 and an M9 since 2010, and 30 Leica M mount lenses.

But as I said above, I always used other cameras, too, for areas where the M needs to be complemented ... ---

There are several ways to buy a Leica: Buying used to cut potential losses, or taking the plunge.

One should not be too rational. --- Rationality can take a lot of fun out of life !!! :)

Last edited:
I have an M3 and an M6. Love them both.

Having a camera that inspires you to get out and take pictures is priceless, but if you're a street photographer be prepared for a steep learning curve. All the annoying stuff @Tobers has mentioned is spot on.

Really though, when I look at the shelf with my Ms on, I just want to go and take pictures with them. And taking pictures is how I get better at photography.

I think you have 100% GAS. Not sure where you're based in the UK but, Leica Mayfair (& a couple of others) run M experience days a few times every month. I went on one a few weeks ago & got a good couple of hours out playing with the camera. These are completely free & give you a good idea as to whether a rangefinder is for you or not.

If you need the Leica experience then I suppose that's the way to go.

I had film RF's and I agree with some of Tobers comments, focusing is slow and a faff on, one central patch and that's it, forget long lenses and RF alignment means DIY or sending it away and it's not a one time thing. It's like owning a classic car, lots of fettling. But do the modern digital ones work like that? I have no idea...

I know you wont be swayed by Lee above or what I'm about to say but I'll say it anyway... Sony A7 with a Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. I love this combination and if I want to use a 17mm or a 210mm I can, focus is a breeze with the magnified view, I can use peaking if I'm happy with the accuracy (and I am at wide apertures) or I can go hyperfocal or zone and I can go AF if I want with the tiny 35mm f2.8.

But I know you want a Leica and there's nothing wrong with that but trying first seems very sensible just in case it al ends up in a disappointing and expensive negative experience.

I've shot film Leicas for the past 10 years, they're my favourite camera system. The M240 seems to be the best value at the moment, slightly larger than the M10, a stop worse at high ISO, but much longer battery life and they're around 2K nowadays. I do recommend trying one out for at least a week or two to see if you get on with the experience of using a rangefinder.

Although if you want a camera that you can truly take with you everywhere I'd suggest a Ricoh GRIII or whatever the Fuji equivalent is. I typically bring my GR along with my Leica kit when I'm out.

Surprised no one has mentioned the X-Pro 3....

Back