Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II....at last, it's announced!!

I'd love one of these lenses, it's one of the best all rounders for African game photography. Unfortunately the price is far out of reach for me, but I might manage to stretch to a used Mk 1 version one day, if I get it in the UK. South African prices are steep.

Sorry if this question has been asked before (even by myself!) :

IS when tripod mounted - ON or OFF?

It has always been considered best practice to switch off IS when tripod mounted but I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't necessary on the new 100-400mm II.

I recently tested this on a very low ground-level positioned Gitzo Systematic tripod (so not flimsy!) while photographing Little Owl and irrespective of IS setting all the images (about 150) were sharp. I was on a gimbal head and mostly not locked down and some also in LiveView. Lots of camera body movement on shutter release though - Some shots with cable release and some without.

I also tested it using IS Mode 3 which I think only applies IS at the moment of shutter release - Must be electrifyingly fast!

^ Please note that the settings such as F/2.8 etc do not apply to this lens nor this photo session! I am just using a generic frame graphic to illustrate a typical viewfinder.

Last edited:
I always leave mine switched on all the time on all my IS lenses, even on a tripod.

Never had a problem!

You can see the IS moving when looking through the viewfinder when tripod mounted which does distract when composing images.

I think that Mode 3 only applies IS at the moment of shutter release but perhaps I should RTFM!!

Does anyone know what IS Mode 3 does?

I tend to leave mine in Mode 2 nowadays.

Does anyone know what IS Mode 3 does?

....Found some info so going to give Mode 3 a go :

"Canon's newest IS mode, previously provided only on super telephoto lenses, is the designed-for-tracking-action Mode 3 IS. In Mode 3, image stabilization is active and ready for use the moment the shutter releases, but actual stabilization is not in effect until that precise time. The view seen through the viewfinder is not stabilized, and you are able to follow your erratically-moving subjects without fighting against image stabilization designed to prevent you from doing the same. IS Mode 3 is designed to detect panning motion and, when detected, will only apply stabilization at right angles to the direction of the detected movement (like IS Mode 2).

Mode 3 IS debuted with the Canon 300mm and 400mm f/2.8L IS II Lenses. I gave Mode 3 a significant amount of workout with those lenses and subsequently made Mode 3 my standard action photography IS mode setting. Off was my previous choice – I usually need a faster-than-minimum hand-holdable shutter speed to stop the action I am shooting. But, I did sometimes see benefits to using IS Mode 3 for action. I welcome this addition to a smaller telephoto lens.

When the shutter release is half-press, IS goes into action. Some clicking is heard when IS starts and again when it stops and in quiet environments, whirring is heard while IS is active on this lens. The IS sounds are not be loud enough to be a problem unless perhaps you are shooting in a dead silent environment, in which case your shutter release may cause much more of an issue. Expect an in-camera mic to pick up IS noise from this lens during video recording.

Note that in Mode 3, IS sound is heard when the shutter release is half-pressed, but the image is not stabilized (including in the viewfinder) until the precise moment that the shot is taken.

The 100-400 L II's IS system auto-senses a tripod in use. Canon recommends turning IS off when shooting tripod-based (primarily to save a small amount of battery life) and leaving IS on when shooting from a less-stable support such as a monopod."

^ Quoted from Bryan Carnathan's The-Digital-Picture review.

I haven't had much of a chance to use my new lens so far, but with a new female polar bear and a pair of snow leopards due to arrive at Highland WP I can't wait to see how the lens performs. I'm also planning a visit to Blair Drummond Safari park in a few weeks so will post some images afterwards.

...and looking at the terms, you can add 26% to the price......
Nevertheless, please be reminded that all mentioned TAX / VAT related charges are buyer's responsibility and we will never be paying any for these. All above charges might be charged by Shipping Carrier instead of custom as they settled the bill for buyer in advance and will then charge the buyer back afterwards.
Please do not get confused that they are extra or additional shipping charges. In case buyer rejects the item due to TAX / DUTY charges issue, we will charge the buyer back for ALL charges including extra shipping charges and the TAX / DUTY amount.

I took the lens to Blairdrummond safari park recently, and although it gets a bit heavy lugging it around after a while, I really like how sharp it is.
I would say its on a par with the 70-300L which is a terrific lens (albeit with less reach).

11080894_1015811681777297_3824116863605571842_o.jpg

11080393_1015809211777544_3712333143966350217_o.jpg

10945133_1015613215130477_8107807174637784774_o.jpg

Like your WTE, Marie....a new introduction at Blairdrummond?....;):exit:

Has anyone tried the IS mode 3 yet? I'm keen to see if it works quickly enough for BIF. Thanks.

Only got mine on Monday so other than a quick check not used yet.

In an idle moment I thought is there any way to know when it was made........................well as mine starts 26xxxxxxetc according to this website it was in Feb 2015 link here http://www.eflens.com/lens_articles/canon_lens_date_codes.html so depending on how many are shifting that is 'current' stock :LOL:

I was wondering if anyone had tried this lens on a 70d ? or had any input on how they think the combo would work

Cheers
Lisa

....I used to have a 70D before I bought the 100-400mm L II but I sold my 70D to a friend and can easily visit him and take my lens to try on the 70D and then report back to you if you tell me what you want to know.

But without doing that, I can tell you that the combo should work absolutely fine except if you ALSO mount a 1.4x Extender, even a mk III. I think that your aperture max will become F/8 but on the 70D you will lose autofocus which may or may not be a problem for you.

Thanks Gaz & Redrobin :)
I wouldn't want you to make a special trip redrobin on my behalf, but if you happen to be meeting up with your friend then any feedback would be fantastic thank you.

Edit - thanks jackwow

I was just wondering how the whole weighy balance between the 70d and lens would be and also if the autofocus on camera & lens would be at similar speeds

I wouldn't be using a converter - still fairly new to photography so learning a lot but am investing in decent kit and practising a lot.

Cheers again :)

Last edited:
Thanks Gaz & Redrobin :)
I wouldn't want you to make a special trip redrobin on my behalf, but if you happen to be meeting up with your friend then any feedback would be fantastic thank you.

I was just wondering how the whole weighy balance between the 70d and lens would be and also if the autofocus on camera & lens would be at similar speeds

I wouldn't be using a converter - still fairly new to photography so learning a lot but am investing in decent kit and practising a lot.

Cheers again :)

....My friend lives very nearby within walking distance, so no problem whatsoever.

I'll visit him either tomorrow or Monday and pop my 100-400mm on his 70D ( I still think of it as mine!) and have a play and report back to you here. Anyway, he and his lady have a pair (brothers) of black Retrievers who adore me and me them and so I love seeing them. No sweat! I'm curious about the combo now :D

Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II, 1.4x III, 7D II. Great combo. :)

....Snap! I have the same great combo :)

The 1.4x III is great for birds but I prefer the combo without it for birds-in-flight as its addition restricts the AF pts area choices. The F/8 limit is less of a problem but the whole combo starts feeling quite weighty when you add a loaded Canon battery grip BG-E16 which has a magnesium carcass too.

mine is arriving monday or tuesday, can't wait to it get, and i am icing to get to some BSB meets to see how it fairs. very excited

mine is arriving monday or tuesday, can't wait to it get, and i am icing to get to some BSB meets to see how it fairs. very excited
I would say that it will fair pretty well for BSB, I got some good shots on Friday at Oulton. Was only there for one session (free entry and live locally, but with other stuff to do).

Get down the gym!!?

....I didn't say it was TOO heavy, I said "it starts feeling quite weighty". I'm quite happy with the weight - 3.265 Kg incl. 1.4x and battery grip. The balance is fine.

Just kidding... I can't carry that much - shoulder injury.... Pondering getting myself a 7D2 as the IDX is silly money...

I've recently bought a Cotton Carriers harness to carry my 7D MkII and 100-400. Really good bit of kit. In fact it's probably the best accessory I've ever bought. Keeps both hands free, really secure and quick to remove to use.

Just kidding... I can't carry that much - shoulder injury.... Pondering getting myself a 7D2 as the IDX is silly money...

....I think that we all (those of us who don't already have one) would love a 1DX. A friend of mine (wildlife photographer but not a member here) recently bought a previously loved 1D4 (body only) for about £1,300 I think. He has kept his 7D body though.

I've recently bought a Cotton Carriers harness to carry my 7D MkII and 100-400. Really good bit of kit. In fact it's probably the best accessory I've ever bought. Keeps both hands free, really secure and quick to remove to use.

....Agreed - Keeping both hands free whilst still feeling secure is extremely helpful.

I can see how the on-the-chest Cotton Carriers harness would be better than the BlackRapid across-shoulder strap but adding an Acratech Swift Clamp makes all the difference.

Doesn't the 100-400mm zoom do its 'horse's cock' party trick though when the lens is hanging down vertically? Unless you lock the zoom of course but then it's not so ready for action.

Don't use the combo on any tripod or monopod Robin and I keep the lens zoomed right out anyway. I have found though that on the tightest setting mine doesn't creep at all. Even on that setting I can still zoom it.

Wish I had the harness when I went to Norfolk as carrying the 100-400 and 7D in one hand and a 500 and 1DX on my shoulder was cumbersome.

@Doodle Moo - Hi Lisa,

I visited my friend this morning and mounted my 100-400mm L II on his 70D. Everything works as expected and autofocus is still very fast.

Physical balance is good too, no matter whether the lens is zoom'd at 100mm or 400mm. This was 'tested' with the lens hanging via its tripod lens collar (plus quick-release plate) off my BlackRapid cross-chest strap. Although both body and lens mounts are metal I would not advise hanging the combo from the body and also I would expect a neck strap to become very uncomfortable on a walkabout < Some users might not agree with me.

I know you have said that you have no plans to buy a Canon 1.4x Extender but should those plans ever change, be aware that Autofocus will not work at all with a 70D included in that combo.

Just to give some basis for my opinion that the Canon 100-400mm L II is such a good lens, I previously used (now both sold) a 300mm F/4 and 400mm F/5.6 Canon prime L lenses which are both renowned for their image quality and the new 100-400mm matches that quality but autofocuses faster and has more advanced Image Stabilisation.

If you feel that you need a 100-400mm capability in one practical lens, and can afford it, this lens is a no-brainer. I know that the Tamron 150-600mm and Sigma 150-600mm are alternatives but the Sigma weighs a ton and is huge and the Tamron doesn't have the same Canon L build quality or compactness.

If you are decided on the Canon 100-400mm L II then I can recommend saving approx £300 by buying from HDEW. They are a 'Grey' importer but have genuine UK premises and are long established. The lens is in short supply at the moment but HDEW are expecting supply in a matter of days, so worth contacting them :

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/about-us-1-w.asp

Hope This Helps,
Robin

Wow thanks Robin :)
I really appreciate the time you took to do the tests on your friends 70D and for the in depth write up (the members on this forum are awesome)

You've answered all my questions and made my mind up that this is the one zoom lens worth investing in.
Oh my poor bank balance !

I have the op/tech shoulder strap that I'll be using to distribute the weight - I'm small (5'1") so good balance of camera/lens is quite important.

I still have a little bit more saving to do before I can get it but hopefully stocks will have increased abit and maybe even dare I say it .......... reduced a little :rolleyes:

:ty: again, your efforts and kindness are much appreciated and I'm very grateful (y)

Lisa:)

I went in to LCE the other day to have a feel of the weight of the 100-400 II compared to the Sigma 150-500 OS as I've recently been struggling with the Sigma as I've got a bad elbow. While the weight is certainly less, the size of the 100-400, even when fully zoomed, seems much easier to manage so I've ordered one and I'm now awaiting delivery. Now I've pulled the trigger I really hate having to wait for the delivery service, I get so impatient. I need it NOW !!!! Can't wait to try it on the various bodies we have in the house but I've a feeling it's going to be spending a lot of time on my 7D MkII, they do seem like a perfect pairing.

I am about to buy this lens, but was wondering the best way to carry it around on a 7dmk2 body using my Black Rapid strap?

Should I connect the BR to lens, if so will it just screw into the foot, or should I still connect the BR to camera body? :thinking:

Also should I by a filter for the lens for protection? Or is this down to personal choice?

Last edited:
I am about to buy this lens, but was wondering the best way to carry it around on a 7dmk2 body using my Black Rapid strap?

Should I connect the BR to lens, if so will it just screw into the foot, or should I still connect the BR to camera body? :thinking:

Also should I by a filter for the lens for protection? Or is this down to personal choice?

Both I and RedRobin use BR straps with Arca Swiss plates on the lens tripod foot, IMO makes for a well balanced way of carrying it with minimal strain unlike the old style neckstraps :) FWIW you can screw the BR connector directly into the lens foot but depending on your total usage may be inconvenient??? Hence the reason I use an AS plate.

I have a BR screwed directly to the lens foot and have no issue with this. Don't connect to body with such a heavy lens.

Not sure what the addition of AS plate is for that others use?

I never put protection filters on my lenses as they all have hoods and these protect the lens front element.

Back