Canon EF 800mm f5.6 + 1.4x III extender with 1DX Mark II

Takes it to f/8, so I would have thought AF would still be possible on a 1DXii. This article says 61 points may be available…

Last edited:
From Digital Picture Review…

”Extenders are another option for increasing MM - and these do not require getting closer to your subject. The Canon 1.4x Extender will yield an 1120mm f/8 IS Lens, but currently only Canon 1-Series bodies can autofocus this combination (with the center point only). The 1.4x adds CA and barrel distortion. Adding the Canon 2x Extender to the 800 will result in a dark 1600mm f/11 IS lens that will not AF on any Canon body. I use extenders occasionally, but much prefer to use a bare lens if possible.”

From Digital Picture Review…

”Extenders are another option for increasing MM - and these do not require getting closer to your subject. The Canon 1.4x Extender will yield an 1120mm f/8 IS Lens, but currently only Canon 1-Series bodies can autofocus this combination (with the center point only). The 1.4x adds CA and barrel distortion. Adding the Canon 2x Extender to the 800 will result in a dark 1600mm f/11 IS lens that will not AF on any Canon body. I use extenders occasionally, but much prefer to use a bare lens if possible.”
Thanks - is that from somewhere online you can link to?

Back