Canon Eos 3 error code bc

Name
Clint
Edit My Images
Yes
Picked the camera up to take some shots and the shutter wouldn't fire and then BC flashed on the top LCD panel. Took the battery out and reset it. The same thing happened. I last used the camera at Xmas last year and it was fine.(same roll of film inside since Xmas) I will purchase a new battery and try but if anyone has any other suggestions please do.

Last edited:
New Battery.

They last Ages, but not indefinitely. Always bought a couple at a time and kept a spare in my bag just in case, because the camera's basically a brick without power. Such a shame nobodys come up with a rechargeable option (or if they have, nobody's told me about it!)

Last edited:
As you've found, the bc error code usually means it needs a new battery, this can also happen during a photo session, with the camera going from fine to dead as a dodo in the space of a shot, so it's always best to have a spare battery handy, especially if the battery level indicator is showing a bit on the low side when the test button is pressed.

This could well be just my imagination, but I get the impression the battery drains quicker when the camera is not in use for a few months but there's a film still in it (even when the camera is switched off), so I tend to only put a film in mine when I want to use it, and I try not to leave the camera unused for long periods with a film still in it. If so, batteries are cheap enough, so it probably doesn't make sense to use up 15 frames of film (the price good quality stuff is these days) just to save a few weeks/months of battery life, but it's perhaps something to bear in mind if you've only got a couple of shots left and you can use them up on something?

As I say, this could well just be my imagination (or maybe just my camera) so I'd be interested to know if any other EOS-3 users have noticed the same thing?

I have a feeling there is a kernel of truth in what you say, probably why the camera was in such good condition! The battery was probably dead every time the owner wanted to use it. I guess when there is a film loaded it probably activates a sensor to keep some electronics alive to maintain a status on the film count or something like that.

I pull the battery holder out of my EOS 3 between uses, it seems to recall film counter and other info for a while (month or so at least). This has reduced my battery usage !! I have seen rechargable batteries advertised in this size on ebay - £23 or so for 1 battery and a charger. I do keep an eye open for a Canon Powergrip or battery pack but the only ones I see are a bit pricey.

Last edited:
I did think about removing the battery but I was concerned that this would weaken or ruin the internal, non user-replaceable battery instead. After all, lithium 2CR5 batteries are cheap enough if I shop around and I seem to get a good 12 months or more out of one even if I leave a film in the camera, so I'm not complaining.

I got a PB-E2 power booster grip free when I bought the camera as part of a promotional offer Canon were running at the time (I've owned it from new) but I can't remember ever using the grip other than to test it when I first got it, mainly as it makes the camera rather large and heavy! However, I've kept it safe just in case the lithium batteries ever become unobtainable, then I can use the grip with 8 AA batteries to keep the camera going!

PS It's nice to hear from some other EOS-3 owners. (y)

Last edited:
New Battery.

They last Ages, but not indefinitely. Always bought a couple at a time and kept a spare in my bag just in case, because the camera's basically a brick without power. Such a shame nobodys come up with a rechargeable option (or if they have, nobody's told me about it!)

I did an internet search for a rechargeable 2CR5 battery alternative around January time (when I needed to restock) and from what I read (before I gave up looking!) the ones that were available supposedly weren't up to the power requirements of the EOS-3. If that was correct, with advances in battery technology the situation could change in the future, so let's keep each other posted if we spot something that works.

Back