Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

I think all cameras should have built in GPS now after my trip to Japan. It's almost like Zelda Breath of the Wild where it has "path of a hero" so you can track where you've been.

adclIux.png

ep6vv73.png

Guys, do any of you use the Apple USB3 camera adaptor with the 5D4? Ive wanted one for ages, and picked one up in the sales last week. It does all it says it should, but only if i have one card in the camera. It gets in to a pickle if i have both cards still in and so doesn't do anything.
I got this because i normally shoot raw to both cards, take the SD card out and use the Apple card reader in to my ipad pro. This works really well, but i was thinking of using the CF card as its faster and might be slowing the CF card down. Seems i still have to take a card out of the camera, so no point keeping the Camera adaptor.

Just wondering if anyone else has found this.

Other than the logging functionality is it just the bearing that it lacks? To be honest I had a GP-E2 for my old Mk III and I always found the bearing a bit inaccurate unless you had moved a bit first.

Yes, it's the bearing. I always found it accurate (perhaps because I was always on the move!) and it was seriously useful. The information is in the camera, just a pity Canon have chosen not to transfer it to the image.

Yes, it's the bearing. I always found it accurate (perhaps because I was always on the move!) and it was seriously useful. The information is in the camera, just a pity Canon have chosen not to transfer it to the image.

Bearing, as in it tells you what direction the photo is facing?

It's kinda cool but not a feature I even dreamt of so don't need it. knowing the spot where i took it from is enough, the rest I can remember or work out from Google Maps.

Bearing, as in it tells you what direction the photo is facing?

That's it.

It's kinda cool but not a feature I even dreamt of so don't need it. knowing the spot where i took it from is enough, the rest I can remember or work out from Google Maps.

We travel a lot, are away for extended periods and I use the images for illustrated talks on our travels, so being able to drop an image into Canon's Map Utility for a quick check is more than useful.

As I said above, the data is in the camera so it's disappointing that Canon haven't used it as they did with the GP-E2.

Guys, do any of you use the Apple USB3 camera adaptor with the 5D4? Ive wanted one for ages, and picked one up in the sales last week. It does all it says it should, but only if i have one card in the camera. It gets in to a pickle if i have both cards still in and so doesn't do anything.
I got this because i normally shoot raw to both cards, take the SD card out and use the Apple card reader in to my ipad pro. This works really well, but i was thinking of using the CF card as its faster and might be slowing the CF card down. Seems i still have to take a card out of the camera, so no point keeping the Camera adaptor.

Just wondering if anyone else has found this.

Never used usb3 adaptor...do use the WiFi feature on the camera and canon camera connect app to transfer files with no issue.

I'm don't think the bearing information is in the camera to be honest. GPS alone doesn't give you static bearing, you need movement for that. The GP-E2 contains a Digital Compass (From the manual: Triaxial geomagnetic sensor and triaxial sensor used to calculate direction). It is this element that the 5D4 lacks.

I'm about to join the 5D Mark IV club, but a little confused on memory cards. 95% + off my shooting will be still photo's so I'd like to save RAW to both cards, will the SD & CF cards below be compatible?
SD - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/sandisk-64gb-extreme-pro-95mbs-sdxc-2169-p.asp
CF - https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/sandisk-64gb-extreme-pro-160mbs-cf-365-p.asp
Define "compatible". You'll be able to use them both simultaneously. If you're saving to both simultaneously (i.e. using one as a backup) then your burst speed will be limited to the speed of the SD card. If you're saving to one card at a time (i.e. using one as an overflow) then your burst speed will be the speed of the card you're currently using.

Thanks for calling out impact re burst speed, I'd like to say I'll remember that when camera in hand, but likely there will be a few :banghead: moments - About a 1/3 of my photography is dogs running/playing etc when I want max burst speed.

I'm officially part of the 5D Mark IV :banana:
Coming from a Mark III and looking forward to the various improvements and will make an attempt to RTFM.

I'm officially part of the 5D Mark IV :banana:
Coming from a Mark III and looking forward to the various improvements and will make an attempt to RTFM.

Enjoy! Ive found it a great upgrade. The cards look like they will be fine, once you get them worth testing. I wouldn’t be surprised if you can get the max speed writing to both cards. More of a problem for me is buffer filling up reminding me that I still need to take care on timing.

Well, I am missing mine; waiting for spare parts at Lehman's ...unexpected landing in dining room area...:( not mine, while we were away. 2 lenses there as well.

Flash problem.
Hi all, I have just got a 5D MK IV moving up from a 70D, I also have a third party flash unit which worked perfectly well on the 70D however despite having AF-assist beam firing switched ON with the 5D MK IV it refuses to do anything in low light to assist focus, Am I missing something simple somewhere please? or do I need a replacement flash?
Many thanks in advance.

Hi I’ve not had this problem. What flash unit and what flash settings on the 5DM4?

Hi I’ve not had this problem. What flash unit and what flash settings on the 5DM4?
It's a
Triopo TR-986C
Works faultlessly on the 70D flash settings,

• Flash firing: Enable
  • E-TTL II meter.: Evaluative
  • Flash sync. speed in Av mode: AUTO
    And obviously, AF-assist beam firing switched ON

Now I come to test it... I’ve never noticed before but I do have the same problem. Reading up it seems common with third party flash with 5DM4. Do you have a remote control unit with AF assist? Could be a workaround Eg my godox X1 controller’s af assist works.

Hi has anyone gone and sent there 5d4 to get C-LOG installed here in london? how much did it cost and can you do it as a none CPS pro user?

Now I come to test it... I’ve never noticed before but I do have the same problem. Reading up it seems common with third party flash with 5DM4. Do you have a remote control unit with AF assist? Could be a workaround Eg my godox X1 controller’s af assist works.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for my delay in getting back to you but I haven't been well.
No I don't have a remote unit, time to start saving for a well overpriced Canon flash I think.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for my delay in getting back to you but I haven't been well.
No I don't have a remote unit, time to start saving for a well overpriced Canon flash I think.

The Godox X1 controller could be a much cheaper workaround. It has a hot shoe on top so you could mount the flash on that, or via cable if you have a flash bracket.

Morning all,
Can anyone recommend an L-Bracket for the 5D MK IV with battery grip at a not too ridiculous price?
I'm struggling to find any that mention the MKIV with batterygrip.

Back