Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

I've noticed a few dust spots (at f/11) after returning from holiday. I haven't tried a rocket blower yet but in case that doesn't shift it has anyone attempted a wet sensor clean yet? If so, what fluid did you use?

I've read some conflicting reports about the filter being particularly delicate on the Mk4 and want to proceed with caution despite having good results cleaning my Mk3 in the past.

Thanks very much.
Does that include a cover for the top screen, as well as the main LCD?

Both, but I put in on the top screen then took it off because it was crap and it was causing weird effect underneath.

OATCgYx.jpg

Are any of you guys / gals using protectors on your camera screens?
If so, which ones are you using, please?
Expert Shield for me. I've used them on several cameras now. The top protector rises slightly as it is curved, so not a perfect fit, but it still protects it. You can't tell there is one on the back and the touch screen still works.
edit: http://expertshielduk.com

Last edited:
Both, but I put in on the top screen then took it off because it was crap and it was causing weird effect underneath.

OATCgYx.jpg

For some reason the top LCD protector is thicker for the 5D4 than other Larmour ones I've used. It took me a while to get it to sit perfectly flat on the LCD.

Are any of you guys / gals using protectors on your camera screens?
If so, which ones are you using, please?
Canon DSLRs come equipped with screen protectors. That glass thing you think is a screen is actually a screen protector; the screen itself is underneath. If you scratch the screen protector, it's relatively cheap and easy to replace.

So what you're really after is a screen protector protector.

Canon DSLRs come equipped with screen protectors. That glass thing you think is a screen is actually a screen protector; the screen itself is underneath. If you scratch the screen protector, it's relatively cheap and easy to replace.

So what you're really after is a screen protector protector.

True, but cheaper to replace the stick on protector myself than send it to Elstree to replace that one on the camera out of the box.

And honestly, this is the first time I put them on my 5Ds and I have had 3 generations of them (or ANY DSLR), and it never bothered me that much before but all my DSLR always ended up with scuffs, probably because i wear glasses.

Deleted.
Matt

Last edited:
I've noticed a few dust spots (at f/11) after returning from holiday. I haven't tried a rocket blower yet but in case that doesn't shift it has anyone attempted a wet sensor clean yet? If so, what fluid did you use?

I've read some conflicting reports about the filter being particularly delicate on the Mk4 and want to proceed with caution despite having good results cleaning my Mk3 in the past.

Normal cleaning same as my other cameras has been no issue. Please could you share the source of the concern?

What on earth have Canon done to the Battery Grip for this camera model?
It's flimsy enough to be worthy of a Christmas cracker gift [emoji3]

Battery tray is a bit flimsy but the rest of its pretty solid. No flex in the carcass on mine or anything like that
Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant.
It took me a few minutes to get one of my batteries to sit in it properly (not much of a manual reader [emoji3]) but it's pretty solid once in the camera.

Can anyone help,watched loads of videos on you tube saying and showing 120 frame rate for slow motion but I can only get 100 frame rate?just don't understand.

Can anyone help,watched loads of videos on you tube saying and showing 120 frame rate for slow motion but I can only get 100 frame rate?just don't understand.

Have you got it set to MP4?

Also 120 is for NTSC not PAL

Ordered my mkiv yesterday. Can I play in here now please? :D:banana:

Which brings me to my first question.

I hadn't actually realised that the MKiv had a timelapse feature. I am keen to try it as it's something I've always wanted to do. But, will it grossly affect the shutter count?

From what I can tell, it uses the electronic shutter for timelapse, which I think doesn't affect the actual shutter count.

TIA :thinking:

Which brings me to my first question.

I hadn't actually realised that the MKiv had a timelapse feature. I am keen to try it as it's something I've always wanted to do. But, will it grossly affect the shutter count?

From what I can tell, it uses the electronic shutter for timelapse, which I think doesn't affect the actual shutter count.

TIA :thinking:

Try it and see?

Either way…..just get the shot, who cares about shutter count.

Ordering mine soon :banana:

Now it's down to a sensible price at Panamoz I've bought one to replace my MkIII. Not really had much chance to use it yet but the colours seem nice.

Wow they're sharp!

That's nice!! Wish my lenses were as sharp as that !!

How happy are you with your 5D Mark IV?

It gets the job done I guess.

What they could improve are bigger buffer or faster write speed. Make ALL the focus points like the centre. Perhaps a flip screen as I find shooting with LCD quite useful now.

Don't have a problem with DR, Low light performance or focus in general.

I found that the 5D3 responded to faster cards with more RAWs before the buffering slowed down the frame rate. Not tried it on the 5D4. If I'm concerned that I might run out of buffer I use my 1DX MkII instead.

I found that the 5D3 responded to faster cards with more RAWs before the buffering slowed down the frame rate. Not tried it on the 5D4. If I'm concerned that I might run out of buffer I use my 1DX MkII instead.

Should have said that it was with CF cards on their own that faster cards gave better results.

Back