Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

I used to use Canon.
Started with a Canon TX manual camera in the early 80's.
Had the A1 with associated shutter squeak, then the best camera I've ever used - the T90.

When digital came out I bought the Nikon D70 as the Canon at the time didn't feel as solid.

Tried the Canon 30D but by then had got used to the Nikon button layout and couldn't get the hang of the Canon "Wheel"

You seem to get more value for money with Nikon, in my experience anyway.

And I think Nikon are better in low light and high ISO.

I switched to the Nikon D750 when it was launched as their price premiums are just not justified, so glad I did. Bet the DR is still pants.

I lost a little on lenses at first but now I have built up my core lenses I knew that body upgrades would work out cheaper in the long term.

Well this must be a record, 6 posts and already the sensor is crap.

Admittedly it's eyewateringly expensive but given that Canon have, in the 1DX MkII, come out with a sensor better than the D5 it might turn out to display the same improvements.

Still nice to see the armchair sensor experts are still in the game.

I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading my mk2 to the mk4 but not until next year when I hope it will be more affordable for me. Looking forward to the reviews and curious about low light performance compared to the 6D.

Reactions: dkh
Really disappointed with this release, reviews might tell a different story but I just can't upgrade to a camera that cannot do 4K/60, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

It might be great stills wise but honestly other than more DR my 5D3 does just fine, I was really hoping they'd take this chance to put the 5D back at the forefront of DSLR video.

Disappointing really, there is nothing that jumps out to make me want to upgrade from the 5D Mkiii. Especially at >€4000. I think the DSLR day is coming to an end, other technologies are catching up at a rate of knots and I've just pre ordered a Fuji X-T2. If the Fuji works as well as it's been reviewed then all my canon gear is going to be sold. You can get 2 X-T2's for less money than one Mkiv!!!!

Hard to judge until its shipped but agree price is higher than i thought it would be. That said I cant see any reason to upgrade from my MK3 .

Does seem expensive. The ability to re-focus (a little) in post could be a great feature though surely?

I mean, if it works well in say, sports photography (or do other cameras already do this and I'm an idiot :) )

Looking at the 80d raw files shadow recovery and hearing good things about the 1dx2 both with on chip adc which the 5d4 also now has the real thing for me will not be the incremental spec increases but the dynamic range improvements.

It is a huge amount of money but canon are doing something right because I'm sure they will sell a shed load! If the dynamic range is halfway between the 5d3 and Nikon d810 but you get canon colours, ergonomics and most importantly lenses then it is worth more to a lot of people.

Personally the thing I actually don't like paying for is video. Call me old fashioned but I would like to see stills cameras and video camera as completely separate. Currently the stills users pay extra for something they won't use and the videographers complain it's been hampered and not full 4K etc!

As a landscape tool I'm going to hold on for the 6d2, hoping for sensor improvements and an articulated screen for at least a grand or fifteen hundred less! The things I prefer for 5d3 over 6d currently include button placement and dual card slot but I doubt they will change these.

Whilst we are moaning about price I was naively expecting the 16-35 2.8 iii to be about 1200 quid and if the reviews were good including for Astro buy one. But it's 2350!!!

Any word on the speeds of the dual CF/SD card slots? The SD in the mk3 is so slow that burst mode is virtually useless.

Not so fussed about the price tag, they don't usually stay at that price for long but I can't justify the upgrade at the launch price.

I'll bet Canon has not improved their sensor technology. While I understand they have just patented something in that direction, unless I'm mistaken it is unlikely to be in the 5D4 but despite having the biggest worldwide sales, they seem to be so needy of more income :(
The circuitry was redesigned for the 80d giving a much needed improvement to the noise for their crop sensor.

But this sensor is a game changer, you should have read a bit before making assumptions.

The introductory price is good news for existing 5D3 users, we can hold the used camera price for longer than anticipated. However I will not buy this camera in the UK sadly, same numbers as per USA but different monetary tags on it, seriously UK... :crying:

The USA price is excluding sales tax isn't it? Granted, still the usual rip-off UK difference, but the collapsing exchange rate isn't helping...

Of course it's expensive, how else can you blag that you have a 5Dmk4! With a world wide recession and the existing 5Dmk3 models floating around and canon fanboys it has to be expensive for the profits to roll in. I'm interested in the future 6Dmkii though I think that might be too expensive as well.

This is preorder price, wasn't the MK3 the same?
Then when released it was £3k for the body or £3600 for body and 24-105 kit lens?

This looks like Park taking a punt on preorder prices?

So anyone know if it's got CFast cards?

Ah YUP
Canon 5D Mk3
Succeeding the EOS 5D Mark II, it was announced on 2 March 2012, the 25th anniversary of the announcement of the first camera in the EOS line, the EOS 650, and was also Canon's 75th anniversary. The Mark III went on sale later in March with a retail price of $3,499 in the US, £2999 in the UK, and €3569 in the Eurozone.

I'd suggest Park have seen the price in dollars in the US and have applied 1$ = £1 fro the pre order price

It is looking pretty good, I do think its a lot of money though considering the price of the past models, but then again prices were due to go up. Disappointed that there is no swivel screen - really looses points for that, the benefit of that screen are 10fold on mine, I couldn't live without that.

Converting that price to pounds and applying VAT, means that UK prices should be more like £3.2k. Kinda explains why they're 'generously' offering the increased trade in rate for pre-orders...

I bought my 5D mkIII from HK for £1850, when UK prices were still £2600. Be interesting to see what prices they have now (obviously Brexit has ballsed up our currency, so the difference won't be as big).

Last edited:
Glad I just got my 1DXII certainly don't need it and not at that price.

lol, just saw that on Wex. Have Canon employed Sony's pricing manager :D

glad i'm not the only one who laughed. I'm not exactly poor but £2350 for a 16-35 f2.8 - b'waahahahahahaha :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

on the upside, i don't shoot Canon so i guess i don't care but i just don't get these prices

So it now focuses better in liveview mode, but they didn't put in a flippy/tilty screen..

Yes exactly.. why this commission? They are invaluable, and they're on the 80D and further down the pecking order, I don't get the logic, unless its something to with the, not having developed a floppy out screen with the rugged build commanded by the 5D series?

The pricing is absurd. It'll no doubt be a superb camera, and (on paper, at least) I love some of the innovations, but two bodies would set you back over £7k. You could get one hell of a system for that price with Nikon, Fuji or Sony.

A quick look on Panamoz shows I can get 2xD750 bodies, a Sigma 35mmART, and a Nikon 85mm 1.8G and it comes to £100 less than the MkIV. Less still if you buy the excellent Nikon 35mm 1.8G instead of an ART.

It's actually cheaper to fly to the states and order from B&H lol

3600 uk vs 2575 USA, that's if you order outside of state and circumvent the sales tax. I think judging by the canon following I think canon are betting a lot will upgrade and pay this, I think 2200/2500 would have bagged more interest, and for those who were waiting for this I bet it's scared a few to think again about following canon...

The pricing is absurd. It'll no doubt be a superb camera, and (on paper, at least) I love some of the innovations, but two bodies would set you back over £7k. You could get one hell of a system for that price with Nikon, Fuji or Sony.

A quick look on Panamoz shows I can get 2xD750 bodies, a Sigma 35mmART, and a Nikon 85mm 1.8G and it comes to £100 less than the MkIV. Less still if you buy the excellent Nikon 35mm 1.8G instead of an ART.

Agreed, but if you have built up a comprehensive Canon lens system then being able to get all that for the price of the 5D4 is meaningless.

I know several people who have expressed a serious interest in this camera and they all have in excess of £15000 worth of lenses. It's very unlikely they will change over.

Last edited:
Agreed, but if you have built up a comprehensive Canon lens system then beignable to get all that for the price of the 5D4 is meaningless.

I know several people who have expressed a serious interest in this camera and they all have in excess of £15000 worth of lenses. It's very unlikely they will change over.

I totally get that. But the 5D is also the bread and butter camera - the body for wedding photographers etc. Many of them shoot with sigma lenses, or have a limited range of lenses. I know loads of Canon shooting wedding photographers that jumped ship to the D750 with no regrets. Many of them managed to actually make a profit from shifting their second-hand gear and buying new (albeit grey market) nikon gear.

For that cash outlay you might as well get a Canon 5DS and a Canon 7Dmk2 :naughty: :exit:

(Said with tongue firmly pressed into cheek before folk get all serious on me re true specs etc :D)

Back