Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Personally the thing I actually don't like paying for is video. Call me old fashioned but I would like to see stills cameras and video camera as completely separate. Currently the stills users pay extra for something they won't use and the videographers complain it's been hampered and not full 4K etc!
I'm exactly the same. I have no interest in using it for video and would prefer something without in the hope the price would be lower. If I wanted a video camera I'd be looking for one, not trying to get a stills camera that can also do the job. For others I'm sure its different and having it all in a single unit is a big plus, but not for me.

The pricing is absurd. It'll no doubt be a superb camera, and (on paper, at least) I love some of the innovations, but two bodies would set you back over £7k. You could get one hell of a system for that price with Nikon, Fuji or Sony.

A quick look on Panamoz shows I can get 2xD750 bodies, a Sigma 35mmART, and a Nikon 85mm 1.8G and it comes to £100 less than the MkIV. Less still if you buy the excellent Nikon 35mm 1.8G instead of an ART.

So you compare the UK RRP of a UK camera that you cant actually buy yet, but pre order against an import D750 that has dropped in price after being out 2 years.

I had a D750 , the sensor was great, but the rest of it just didnt match up to the 5D3. Apples and Oranges!

Great logic.

Apologies to one and all, at 5am I must admit not to have looked closely at the specs of the 5D4 in particular, regarding the sensor. However £3599 comes at a shocker at whatever time of day or night, despite any sensor improvements. It's £1100 more than the 5D3 at release.......that's a crazy hike in price. And UK price being GBP3599 with Adorama asking US3499 rubs more salt into the wound.

All canon cameras are pricey at release, its the same arguments every time a camera comes out, this has been going on years!

The falling pound hasnt helped matters one bit. Price increases for the next Sony, Nikon will be the same.

The 16-35 f4 is lens had a rrp on release of £1130 , its £682 now at Jessops 2 years later.

The price is crazy, I don't care much for video but I can see why people are annoyed with the jpeg motion and lackluster FPS.

What really is making my blood boil right now though is the fact that (yet again!) they have failed to include the ability to meter from a specific AF point. Unbelievable.

So you compare the UK RRP of a UK camera that you cant actually buy yet, but pre order against an import D750 that has dropped in price after being out 2 years.

I had a D750 , the sensor was great, but the rest of it just didnt match up to the 5D3. Apples and Oranges!

Great logic.

Hardly apples and oranges. Even at UK prices, you can CURRENTLY get 2x UK bought D750s for less than the pre-order price of the mkIV. As 4-body shooters, it would cost our business £14400 to upgrade our camera bodies at launch price - I know a lot of canon shooters that have aging mk3s in desperate need of replacement. It would cost £6800 to buy 4 new D750s at UK rrp. That £7600 saving (plus what you'd get for your old canon gear etc) would give you a lot of money to play with for glass/accessories/holidays. I'm sure import prices for the MkIV will be well north of £2500 (US price is around £2800 before sales taxes), leaving it over twice the price of the cheapest D750.

I see nothing in the specs to suggest it will be twice as good and thus able to justify the price premium. For many photographers (myself included) these cameras are in direct competition yet exist at wildly different price points. It has a few flaws, but pound-for-pound i've not used a better digital camera than the D750, and it surpasses the Mk3 in more ways than just the sensor.

Camera execs must surely love watching photographers defend their horribly inflated launch prices.

Apologies to one and all, at 5am I must admit not to have looked closely at the specs of the 5D4 in particular, regarding the sensor. However £3599 comes at a shocker at whatever time of day or night, despite any sensor improvements. It's £1100 more than the 5D3 at release.......that's a crazy hike in price. And UK price being GBP3599 with Adorama asking US3499 rubs more salt into the wound.

The price is high as it's the release price so will always be top end but I'd expect this to fall reasonably quickly as other new models do (not just Canon)

It's also higher than the 5D MkIII and relative to the states because of the post-Brexit currency revaluations. Canon trade in $ and now the exchange rate means more £

The MkIV looks to have a strong specification. The only thing I would have liked would be stilt screen but I'm thinking that must be a weather sealing limitation and their focus groups would have told them that this trumped the tilt function.

Yes exactly.. why this commission? They are invaluable, and they're on the 80D and further down the pecking order, I don't get the logic, unless its something to with the, not having developed a floppy out screen with the rugged build commanded by the 5D series?

Weatherproofing, ruggedness. It's a professional body. These aren't features on the 1 series either

Reactions: LCS
Agreed, but if you have built up a comprehensive Canon lens system then being able to get all that for the price of the 5D4 is meaningless.

I know several people who have expressed a serious interest in this camera and they all have in excess of £15000 worth of lenses. It's very unlikely they will change over.

I totally get that. But the 5D is also the bread and butter camera - the body for wedding photographers etc. Many of them shoot with sigma lenses, or have a limited range of lenses. I know loads of Canon shooting wedding photographers that jumped ship to the D750 with no regrets. Many of them managed to actually make a profit from shifting their second-hand gear and buying new (albeit grey market) nikon gear.

Loads? Many with sigma or limited lenses? Really?

Many have dual systems, multiple bodies, lenses etc for the failover. Jumping ship is just a trendy thing because manufacturers leapfrog each other. I doubt anyone earning money with a 5D mk3 currently will rush to jump ship just because a new body is coming out at the same price their current model came out at.

Plus, until it comes out and is tested - who knows how good it is. The 5D mk3 was streets ahead at it's launch and is still a valid useful camera 4 years on.

Craig_85 said:
Personally the thing I actually don't like paying for is video. Call me old fashioned but I would like to see stills cameras and video camera as completely separate. Currently the stills users pay extra for something they won't use and the videographers complain it's been hampered and not full 4K etc!

I'm exactly the same. I have no interest in using it for video and would prefer something without in the hope the price would be lower. If I wanted a video camera I'd be looking for one, not trying to get a stills camera that can also do the job. For others I'm sure its different and having it all in a single unit is a big plus, but not for me.

Then you don't understand some of the market this camera is used in. Several magazines have an online presence now. The ability to add additional media, behind the scenes video, short stings is essential for these.

No its not. It's a preorder price
5D mk3 was £3k for the body at release. I know I bought one!

Loads? Many with sigma or limited lenses? Really?

Many have dual systems, multiple bodies, lenses etc for the failover. Jumping ship is just a trendy thing because manufacturers leapfrog each other. I doubt anyone earning money with a 5D mk3 currently will rush to jump ship just because a new body is coming out at the same price their current model came out at.

Plus, until it comes out and is tested - who knows how good it is. The 5D mk3 was streets ahead at it's launch and is still a valid useful camera 4 years on.

Yes. Loads. Around a dozen that I know personally and loads that I've met online changed to the D750 from the mk3. And the 35mm ART has a superb reputation among wedding photographers. If I hadn't already owned a nikon 1.4G, I would also own one.

Plenty of wedding photographers have limited gear out of choice. Fer Juaristi, one of the most lauded in the world, owns two bodies and 2 (sigma) lenses. Nordica, 2 bodies and 4 lenses each. Gabe mclintock uses two bodies and 3 lenses (one is a sigma). Kitcheners use 2 bodies and 4 lenses. Sean Flannigan uses 4 lenses.

Personally, while I own other lenses (from years ago that I could get rid of if I had the inclination), I shoot with 3 lenses and two bodies. My wife generally uses two lenses and two bodies. I've found that limiting my gear has made me much better at my job.

I put this on another forum, the 5D4 price will do the same, same as every other Canon camera and lens has done.

The 5DSR was £3200 rrp on release, its now £2898 , £2224 on import, 7 months later.

It did go as low as £2000 , then the exchange rate tanked.

I have been thinking about going full frame for a while, I currently have the 7D2 which I'm using for a little aviation and almost weekly landscape work, when I initially purchased it, landscape photography wasn't on my radar, I have been looking forward to the 5D4 and migrating to a full frame, as im a hobbyist at best, im now torn between stumping up the cash for the 5D4 or waiting out for 6D2 assuming there will be one. The price has left me feeling a little disappointed. What would you guys recommend? holding out for a 6D2 or moving to the 5D4 when the prices drop a little towards the New Year?

Geoff.

I put this on another forum, the 5D4 price will do the same, same as every other Canon camera and lens has done.

The 5DSR was £3200 rrp on release, its now £2898 , £2224 on import, 7 months later.

It did go as low as £2000 , then the exchange rate tanked.

That still leaves it as a very expensive body. It'll remain around the £3k mark in the UK and £2600 on import, if the trends you posted are indicative.

I have been thinking about going full frame for a while, I currently have the 7D2 which I'm using for a little aviation and almost weekly landscape work, when I initially purchased it, landscape photography wasn't on my radar, I have been looking forward to the 5D4 and migrating to a full frame, as im a hobbyist at best, im now torn between stumping up the cash for the 5D4 or waiting out for 6D2 assuming there will be one. The price has left me feeling a little disappointed. What would you guys recommend? holding out for a 6D2 or moving to the 5D4 when the prices drop a little towards the New Year?

Geoff.

The 5D mkiii is still a awesome camera, despite what new features the mkiv has

Thanks @T_J_G Although I appreciate the capabilities of the 5D3, I have always promised myself rightly or wrongly not to buy in to old technology. My purchase has to be an investment, as its coming out of my own monies and savings, I make no money off my photos its purely a hobby.

pre ordered to replace my 5d3 for use with action and portrait.

If something amazingly better comes out from Sony(half my other gear is sony) that can do exactly what the 5d4 does but better and in the realms of the 1dx2(in terms of fps and buffer) then i may sell my 5d4 for that or my exisiting A7r2.

the thing is, Canon has all the great classes from the tele end. You cant shoot above 200mm on the sony E mount system yet.

The prices are a bit optimistic, but I might wait til Xmas time, maybe a cashback offer of something, also, the £2300 for the 16-35 is crazy, it's cheaper to buy the 11-24 from hdew. As it's just a hobby for me too, I'll be selling my 6D so it will feel cheaper. Wex are giving an extra £200 trade in as well so maybe it'll all work out in some peoples favour. There's also the option of a used 1DX.

Craig_85 said:

Then you don't understand some of the market this camera is used in. Several magazines have an online presence now. The ability to add additional media, behind the scenes video, short stings is essential for these.

I do understand, I was purely stating a selfish opinion, not an expectation or even a demand from canon to do away with video. They might even argue that the inclusion of video means they sell more units and it keeps the price down, who knows?!

Geoff.

As someone who has owned a 7d2, 6d and 5d3 I would recommend you keep the 7d2 for aviation and add a used 6d for landscape.

You have the backup of a second body, the option to keep different lenses on them and different settings dialled into them as well. The button placement is a bit different on a 6d but you do get used to it.

If you can only afford one camera, though i doubt there is much in it, personally I would prefer the 5d3 I love mine.

However there is an argument that the 7d2 is slightly better for aviation and it is actually a good landscape camera off a tripod low Iso, nice clean shadows, sharp files but the highlights aren't quite as smooth or as nice in colour as the full frame. The argument is to spend the difference on lenses is what I'm getting to!

Any less confused now Geoff?
Just buy a 5d4 and let us know how good it is...

Last edited:
I agree. The price is ridiculous atm though. Doubt the price of the 5d3 will drop much.

If anything it'll bolster 5D3 used prices.

This is primarily a video update. Unless the sensor turns out to be radically improved then, if you're only interested in stills, the 5D4 is basically a 5D3 with more megapixels and slightly faster framerate. Hardly worth the upgrade price.

Yes it has Wifi and GPS but frankly I've yet to meet anyone who's seriously interested in either. I have both on my 6D and never use them.

Last edited:
Clifton Cameras are offering part exchange against the 5D Mk4 with a £250 part exchange boost (although I believe that may be a bit of a gimmick....who knows though)

Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:
not as painful for me living in the US at $3,499 (plus sales tax of ~9% here in NY) but not enough to make me upgrade from my mk3. I'm one of the few who do find wifi useful (I use it on a 6d quite frequently) and extra MP would be nice occasionally, but nothing that really grabs me.

I agree with others on video - I feel like in some ways the camera manufacturers have created a monster with SLR video - people now expect each update to be groundbreaking both as a stills camera and a video camera. I could happily ditch video entirely for increased fps, for instance

What really is making my blood boil right now though is the fact that (yet again!) they have failed to include the ability to meter from a specific AF point. Unbelievable.

Totally agree. Disappointing! The 1D has been doing that for a while - correct?

Does seem expensive. The ability to re-focus (a little) in post could be a great feature though surely?

I mean, if it works well in say, sports photography (or do other cameras already do this and I'm an idiot :) )
There's only the lytro and one of the Panasonic's that do this AFAIK. I believe the Panny can do it for static subjects though, not sure about the Lytro. Initial thoughts are that you're not going to be able to do it to the extent of those two cameras, but enough to compensate for any tolerances in AF accuracy, which I would find a blessing for those times AF lets you down. That being said, it could be considered another tool to take away the skill of the tog.

As someone who has owned a 7d2, 6d and 5d3 I would recommend you keep the 7d2 for aviation and add a used 6d for landscape........

Thanks @Craig_85, Ill be keeping the 7D2 ... I have an old 7D1 which I can trade in. So I suppose, I could save a nice bit of cash going for a 2nd Hand 6D, Save not so much and get a 5D3 or save even less and get a 6D2 (if it gets made), the trade is the tech on the sensor and the MP and time. Ill know more after this weekend, trying my hand at selling a few prints, if that goes well, that might sway my decision into moving to a used 6D/5D3 .... argh - spinning head -

Seems like a storm of protest is brewing over at Dpreview concerning the launch price.

It does look like a superb camera (as the MK III no doubt was and is). TBH, there's nothing in there for a Nikon shooter like me (with a D810 and D500), to get too excited over, but I do love the fact that most recent Canon's now come with GPS built in and have an AF fine tune system that can be set for both ends of a zoom.

With regards the GPS, Nikon still uses the 6 year old GPS-1 which sucks the life out of batteries and seems to take an eternity to get a fix. Come on Nikon, get in the 21st century and give us GPS either built in or as a small add on via the 10 pin socket powered form the camera. On that score alone, Canon is leading the way (but not at the price of the MK IV).

Over a grand more than the D810 and less MP?

Typical Canon.
MP would be the last thing I'd consider, cameras have had more than enough MP for a long time :)

direct flights from heathrow to JFK next week are $720 - with NY sales tax included flying to NY and getting one from B+H is still gbp150 cheaper than going into jessops

Early adopters always pay a huge price, it will drop. A lot of new kit is coming out more expensive than expected, with the value of the pound dropping against the Yen post Brexit it costs about an extra 15% to import new stuff. The owner of Park Cameras warned in July this will affect all manufacturers from August across retailers, some more than the 15%. This is more obvious on brand new cameras such as the 5d4 as these are all fresh imports to the UK.

Also, from LCE;

"Adrian Deary, marketing and communications manager at the London Camera Exchange – which runs 29 stores nationwide – told AP: ‘So far, a few manufacturers have indicated they will be increasing prices in the near future, perhaps as early as August.

‘If they do, then we will have to increase our prices as we wouldn’t be able to absorb the increase."

New existing kit might start to get more pricey too over the next few months :(

So, here you have early adopters premium plus a price rise across the board. I'd wait a year :)

Am I the only one who doesn't want touch screen on my cameras though? Give me dials and switches any day, it's bad enough with my nose accidentally touching the screen...

Last edited:
Totally agree. Disappointing! The 1D has been doing that for a while - correct?

Correct, for some reason they view this as a flagship feature. Meanwhile, Nikon place this feature all over there range of Cameras.

direct flights from heathrow to JFK next week are $720 - with NY sales tax included flying to NY and getting one from B+H is still gbp150 cheaper than going into jessops
How about the VAT bill at customs?

How about the VAT bill at customs?

Normal 20%, have your form from b&h ready and you'll get your US sales tax refunded.

You'll still pay less in tax as the VAT you'll pay is lower as the unit sale is cheaper.

Am I the only one who doesn't want touch screen on my cameras though? Give me dials and switches any day, it's bad enough with my nose accidentally touching the screen...

Nope, I'm another and yet usually love touchscreen on anything else. For some reason don't want it on my camera though.

Seems like a storm of protest is brewing over at Dpreview concerning the launch price.
I don't understand this from people, its too pricey, don't buy it. It might be frustrating if you were waiting and expecting it to be release at a far lower price, but there are always other options. It's the same for all products, not just cameras. Unless it's water, heating/fuel or food, I'm fairly ambivalent as everything else is pretty much a luxury and nice to have. If its too expensive for me then my money isn't spent or gets spent elsewhere. Life's too short to get worked up, especially when I have no idea on what it has taken to get that product developed, built, marketed and supplied to the consumer.

Great logic.
Interesting, in what way did the D750 not match up to the 5D3?

I do think that Canon overprice though, the 5D3's still more expensive than the D810 which, on paper at least, is a far better camera and has excellent build quality. The 5D4 is double the price on release to what the D750 was (£1759 UK price) and £800 more than the D810 on release.

Back