Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

To be fair, there's competitions still being won by kit a lot older than the 5d2.
Indeed. If you are really good, kit should not matter. For the likes likes of us untalented photographers better equipment increases the probability of a decent shot. Freddie Couples once said he could play well with any set of golf clubs much to the annoyance of his sponsors. Much the same for decent photographers although pros seem to mainly use the best available. In ten years time will the 5Div be seen as old hat. Who knows but at some point progress must slow. If the 5D iii is now seen as old tech I for one would be more than willing to buy one, even if the 5D iv is better. Non-digital slrs must reached a limit to,some point beyond which improvements were limited?

Last edited:
Indeed. If you are really good, kit should not matter. For the likes likes of us untalented photographers better equipment increases the probability of a decent shot. Freddie Couples once said he could play well with any set of golf clubs much to the annoyance of his sponsors. Much the same for decent photographers although pros seem to mainly use the best available. In ten years time will the 5Div be seen as old hat. Who knows but at some point progress must slow. If the 5D iii is now seen as old tech I for one would be more than willing to buy one, even if the 5D iv is better. Non-digital slrs must reached a limit to,some point beyond which improvements were limited?9

I have DSLRs over ten years old that produce stunning images still, and in good to normal (and even poor) light you wouldn't know they were taken by a decade old body. A good camera is always a good camera and will always produce good images if you use it properly :)

This was taken with a 2008 body, using a lens first released in 1990, in poor light;

Candles by -Odd Jim-

Last edited:
I have DSLRs over ten years old that produce stunning images still, and in good to normal light you wouldn't know they were taken by a decade old body. A good camera is always a good camera and will always produce good images if you use it properly :)
Not a truer word said! I've still held on to my 7D for that very reason and even now it's still a little better than my other kit which includes the XT1 and other Fuji bodies. Some kit will stand the test of time, I'd imagine the 5Diii will just as the 7D has.

I have DSLRs over ten years old that produce stunning images still, and in good to normal (and even poor) light you wouldn't know they were taken by a decade old body. A good camera is always a good camera and will always produce good images if you use it properly :)

This was taken with a 2008 body, using a lens first released in 1990, in poor light;

Candles by -Odd Jim-
Not a truer word said! I've still held on to my 7D for that very reason and even now it's still a little better than my other kit which includes the XT1 and other Fuji bodies. Some kit will stand the test of time, I'd imagine the 5Diii will just as the 7D has.

Well said, so it is not just me that appreciates old tech, but I have to accept that new tech is better in difficult conditions, but how often does this apply?

I didn't make any comments about any sensors...

I shot with Nikon for something like 20 years then with Canon for something in excess of 10 years and now I have Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras as these suit me better than DSLR's.

Ah apologies, I saw the Canon has released a camera with an arguably underwhelming spec comment after so many comments about the sensor. Sony users quite rightly can brag about theirs.

I shoot a lot of landscapes so it's not rare ;)
Well down the list for me, although I did nearly change to the D810 recently for more crop ability. Definitely not no, but that wasn't the discussion ;) [emoji14]

I wasn't 'bagging' on Canon btw, was just pointing out that for some it can be a step backwards. I'm very intrigued to see what the 5D4 brings to the table though.
Well I shoot a7r2 and pairing it with this canon body will be amazing

Well I shoot a7r2 and pairing it with this canon body will be amazing
That would be a killer combo (assuming the 5D4 lives up to expectations).

That's interesting. Kind of wish I was a Canon shooter now :LOL:

I've been thinking about this camera and how people are saying it's a disappointing upgrade, but what else could they offer. What do we want from upgrades:-

1. Better AF - Check
2. Better sensor performance - Check (most likely)
3. Better video (if you're into that kind of thing) - Check
4. Better processor - Check
5. Better resolution - Check
6. Better liveview performance - Check

So imo they've improved everything that they could, and added some nice new tech to boot. OK so granted, it's not the best in each of these areas but if you want that you should buy a dedicated camera in that dept. I think overall it's a decent upgrade, and even better when the price becomes more reasonable. I know some are saying that it's not really any more than the 5D3 on release, but that for me doesn't make it any less expensive.

You're not wrong, but the lack of something as simple as a tilting viewfinder is quite a disappointment for those of us who have used them.

The Mk3 was slated by some for its sensor and noise, but I've not found an issue in normal use, unnoticeable upto ISO 12800, and if you push further than that then it's always a compromise, the image v noise.
I've taken images at ISO128000 (maxed out) in near darkness, noisy yup, but incredible to even get a usable image.

That's a 'me too'! I've got some great images in circumstances where a completely black frame was the only sensible expectation.

4k video with that ridiculous crop factor?

And no 4K output from HDMI

The upcoming GH5 might be a better bet if you want decent video AND stills.

Last edited:

You can buy from Canon's Cine range if you want video, good enough for Hollywood :). It's always been an add on for me, barely used.

Don't forget Canon has their line of dedicated videos cameras so they will never put too many video features on what is still a stills camera.

I also think that DSLR are coming to the end of their upgrading cycle, they are almost at the zenith of development. All they can do is make small improvements on censors, AF, processing power

Don't forget Canon has their line of dedicated videos cameras so they will never put too many video features on what is still a stills camera.

I also think that DSLR are coming to the end of their upgrading cycle, they are almost at the zenith of development. All they can do is make small improvements on censors, AF, processing power

Indeed, as per my post above, if you're serious about video, they sell you something from here;

http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com

I don't think they need to worry about the competition, which is probably why they don't add bells and whistles to video on DSLRs ;)

Last edited:

Hd output to hdmi was great for focus pulling on the mk3.

4K to hdmi I guess would be handy if you had something like an atomos shogun, however they're quite expensive and that puts you into pro video recorders price range (with the mk4).

You can buy from Canon's Cine range if you want video, good enough for Hollywood :). It's always been an add on for me, barely used.

Yes you can, and you can pay a huge premium for it :)

I prefer something in between, decent for stills and video, which i use a lot.

Last edited:
Yes you can, and you can pay a huge premium for it :)

Not *too* much more than a 5d4 (or a used c300 is about the same) but if you're serious about video and can afford a top line DSLR you can easily justify buying one of these!

Ok a c500 is double the price of a 5d4, but it just means more saving :)

Last edited:
I prefer something in between, decent for stills and video, which i use a lot.

The 5d4 is a pretty good in between I'd say?

Last edited:
Ah apologies, I saw the Canon has released a camera with an arguably underwhelming spec comment after so many comments about the sensor. Sony users quite rightly can brag about theirs.

Take a look at sample SOOC JPEG images http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk4/

They used to look so s*** for the earlier generations. As a stills camera it looks like a perfect all-rounder to me. I hear Sony gearheads but many of us will never buy into their small form factor and controls, lack of real viewfinder, far lesser AF and lack of lenses.

4K is admittedly less impressive, but I don't care personally, and maybe ML will magically solve it yet again. It should be very good for wildlife or any action filming utilising Canon's super teles and that crop and perhaps the FHD will be a lot better than in mkIII.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPL
Take a look at sample SOOC JPEG images http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk4/

They used to look so s*** for the earlier generations. As a stills camera it looks like a perfect all-rounder to me. I hear Sony gearheads but many of us will never buy into their small form factor and controls, lack of real viewfinder, far lesser AF and lack of lenses.

4K is admittedly less impressive, but I don't care personally, and maybe ML will magically solve it yet again. It should be very good for wildlife or any action filming utilising Canon's super teles and that crop and perhaps the FHD will be a lot better than in mkIII.
How do you know they're SOOC?

Sample images, Yosemite mirror lake near half dome, which doesn't have water in at this time of year, so was probably taken 6 months ago?

Well said, so it is not just me that appreciates old tech, but I have to accept that new tech is better in difficult conditions, but how often does this apply?
Depends on the individual I guess. I'd estimate 2/3 of my shots are reliant on top notch AF tracking, and for a large percentage good ISO performance is needed. So for me new tech does help (improves hit rate and detail) very often (y)

MkIV is a pro camera, though. Many pros will push the tech to it's limit, many won't.
Depends on the individual I guess. I'd estimate 2/3 of my shots are reliant on top notch AF tracking, and for a large percentage good ISO performance is needed. So for me new tech does help (improves hit rate and detail) very often (y)
Fully understood and even as an amateur I would do the same if I had the cash and different priorities.

Last edited:
I'm looking more hands on reviews before I decide whether to upgrade...but I think it's more a question of when and for what price than if....AF, low light performance and dynamic range are all v important to me.

Isn't that a M43 sensor? People wanting a 5D whatever are in the main looking for a full frame stills camera no?

Sounds like you would be surprised how many use them for video.

Sounds like you would be surprised how many use them for video.
Think you missed his point. People wanting a full frame camera would not be willing to sacrifice the sensor size and performance just to get better video. After all, first and foremost the 5D is a stills camera (y)

As much as the camera is getting a fair aul panning I am sure it will be stunning

Canon also have a superior 70-200 / 50 / 85 and some newer wide angle lenses.

Yes you can use your canon lenses on Sony but they most definitely do not perform nearly as well !

Think you missed his point. People wanting a full frame camera would not be willing to sacrifice the sensor size and performance just to get better video. After all, first and foremost the 5D is a stills camera (y)

Hence why i'd have the 5D for stills and the GH5 for video (y)

As much as the camera is getting a fair aul panning I am sure it will be stunning
I agree. I'm usually the first to 'bash' Canon (just in jest of course ;)) but this is something that's grabbed my attention. It's all on sensor performance now (y)

Back