Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Yeah I was looking at RRS and Kirk and they're very expensive. I think I'll probably go with Sunway too as I mainly shoot wildlife with a 500mm so the amount of time my camera is attached to the tripod for landscape etc is minimal.

Yeah I was looking at RRS and Kirk and they're very expensive. I think I'll probably go with Sunway too as I mainly shoot wildlife with a 500mm so the amount of time my camera is attached to the tripod for landscape etc is minimal.

I’ve found the sunway to be good, no problems at all.

Oh Why Oh Why have I stumbled in here.. I blame @twist :naughty:

Well I have been looking to go back to Full Frame camera for a bit.. I currently own as you can see in my Sig down below.

I use to be a canon user for years and I enjoyed it.. So thinking of coming back only if it the right choice as I either come back.. Or go Sony A7iii or upgrade my nikon to a D850 there the 3 options..

How are you guys find the AF speed of this camera.. Also does it track EYE focus like Sony does?

What ISO you dare go to, to get useable images..

Well I have been looking to go back to Full Frame camera for a bit.. I currently own as you can see in my Sig down below.

I use to be a canon user for years and I enjoyed it.. So thinking of coming back only if it the right choice as I either come back.. Or go Sony A7iii or upgrade my nikon to a D850 there the 3 options..

How are you guys find the AF speed of this camera.. Also does it track EYE focus like Sony does?

No issues with AF speed of the camera, lens are the limiting factor (e.g. canon 85 1.2 slow). No eye tracking, there is face tracking. Just checked my lightroom and highest I've used for a final image is 12,800. It can go higher.

No issues with AF speed of the camera, lens are the limiting factor (e.g. canon 85 1.2 slow). No eye tracking, there is face tracking. Just checked my lightroom and highest I've used for a final image is 12,800. It can go higher.
Care to share one of the high ISO pls if you would?

There's no eye af on the 5d4 but it tracks stuff pretty well.

There's no eye af on the 5d4 but it tracks stuff pretty well.

Knew I could relay on you Jonny as you a 5Dmk4 and a A9 lol.. I bet you say the A9 better

Of course it's better. The a9 is even better than a 1dx2 which I've played around with last year too. 5d4 is as good as a a7r3.

As you know I been wanting to get the A7iii as it within my budget would love a A7riii but the AF on the A7iii is believe to be better and faster?

As you know I been wanting to get the A7iii as it within my budget would love a A7riii but the AF on the A7iii is believe to be better and faster?
Unless your shooting f1 cars like me. The focus is fine on loads of these cameras. The 5d4 is a nice camera with the best colour science ever

Unless your shooting f1 cars like me. The focus is fine on loads of these cameras. The 5d4 is a nice camera with the best colour science ever

I bet you would choose that canon over any Nikon lol.

Can anyone please help me? I am trying to get to grips with my new (4 months) 5D Mk IV, there is loads and loads to be read in the instruction booklet, but as it's all still fairly new to me can anyone advise, is it possible to record RAW photos on one card, say the Compact Flash, and JPEG photos onto the SD card. The reason I am asking is I don't want to have to import all my RAW files into Lightroom then discard 70 or 80% of the photos when I can browse through them on the JPEG Card, keep the good shots and discard the crud, then import. Importing all the RAW files only to discard the majority of them is very time consuming!

Can anyone please help me? I am trying to get to grips with my new (4 months) 5D Mk IV, there is loads and loads to be read in the instruction booklet, but as it's all still fairly new to me can anyone advise, is it possible to record RAW photos on one card, say the Compact Flash, and JPEG photos onto the SD card. The reason I am asking is I don't want to have to import all my RAW files into Lightroom then discard 70 or 80% of the photos when I can browse through them on the JPEG Card, keep the good shots and discard the crud, then import. Importing all the RAW files only to discard the majority of them is very time consuming!

Pages 166-170 in the manual.

Last edited:
Of course it's better. The a9 is even better than a 1dx2 which I've played around with last year too. 5d4 is as good as a a7r3.

My mates a9 was sent back for AF checking after shooting a day with me and my 1DX2, seems my 'old' 1DX2 was getting about a third more keepers with BIF so we questioned the a9 being at fault, Sony didn't seem to interested so the suppliers supposedly tested the Camera, now it's back nothing has changed and it seems it does miss focus a few high speed passing birds, the old Canon seems to grab those same shots, he is now in the process of going back to his Nikon D850 and says Sony have some work to do with the AF of the a9. Food for though for me as I'd planned on a A73, think I will give it some time before I add such a body to my gear.

:)

With the 5d4 you have to set this up in two places, so it can be confusing. First set up ‘record separately’ under the green menu, and then you can change the quality for each in the red menu.
Be aware that if you delete images from one card they don’t get deleted from the other.

Last edited:
My mates a9 was sent back for AF checking after shooting a day with me and my 1DX2, seems my 'old' 1DX2 was getting about a third more keepers with BIF so we questioned the a9 being at fault, Sony didn't seem to interested so the suppliers supposedly tested the Camera, now it's back nothing has changed and it seems it does miss focus a few high speed passing birds, the old Canon seems to grab those same shots, he is now in the process of going back to his Nikon D850 and says Sony have some work to do with the AF of the a9. Food for though for me as I'd planned on a A73, think I will give it some time before I add such a body to my gear.

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve seen all the people raving on the Sony thread and started thinking about trying it out. I’m getting the results I need with 5DM4 and 1DXM2, and find the AF very reliable so I think I’ll stick with them.

Still not given up on my Canon yet :D

9Qx2Ce1.jpg

did he make sure he updated his lenses and the sony body? the a9 with say the 70-200 f2.8 had focusing issues when zooming in and out while af

Hi

I had the RRS for MKIII but there is no comparison with the new one for MK IV. The latter is bigger and heavier. For 185usd doesn't worth. What I did is to to grind a little bit the RRS for the III and it fits absolutely well.

Came across this thread while searching for info on the mk iv
Has any body used it for sport / wildlife with long lens?
And what is anybody’s opinion on the FPS and shutter lag compared to a 1d mkiv?
Could anybody point me towards any sport / wildlife pics?

I use it for sport and wildlife - with a 400 DO ii and 500 F4 ii

Results are superb, low noise iso is a godsend if shooting in low light.

I use it for sport and wildlife - with a 400 DO ii and 500 F4 ii

Results are superb, low noise iso is a godsend if shooting in low light.
Any chance you could point me in the right direction to check out some of you pix?

It came up on Twitter earlier, can't find the tweet now, however, ecoleman is right, the picture didn't look that much different from the II.

For me advancements now would be weight and size reduction, without any corresponding loss of image quality.

Bet it look just like the mk2?
It looks *exactly* like the Mk II. If you took a picture of the Mk II, and Photoshopped it to put some of the writing in different places on the barrel... that's the Mk III.

I can't help wondering how reliable is the site that originally posted this image.

Last edited:
Back