Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

I had a 6d and got on with it just fine.
The 6d2 appears to have improvements all round and is now really affordable.
I just can't get to grips with why people bash it at every opportunity.
If canon made it much better they'd never sell a 5D4.

Having read this whole thread amd noting that nobody has posted on it for 3 months...and noting that grey market 6D2s are now available for less than £1k ....would it be correct to assume that nobody likes the 6D2?

To me it looks very similar to the 80D = plus FF sensor and GPS, minus inbuilt flash
The 80D is rated highly

What am I missing?

I have a 80D currently and am considering going FF via the 6D2
Would I be making a mistake?

Is the centre clustered AF really such an issue?
Is the lack of 1/8000sec shutter speed really a hindrance?

Having read this whole thread amd noting that nobody has posted on it for 3 months...and noting that grey market 6D2s are now available for less than £1k ....would it be correct to assume that nobody likes the 6D2?

To me it looks very similar to the 80D = plus FF sensor and GPS, minus inbuilt flash
The 80D is rated highly

What am I missing?

These are mainly points that may be issues for some people and not at all for others.
I think for a grand it’s an excellent camera.

The 80D is rated highly

What am I missing?

The sensor is no better than the old 6D. And on the whole it's really underwhelming when compared to something like D750 which is also older and similarly priced.

I personally wouldn't touch it with a stick :exit:

But if you are heavily invested in canon glass and can only afford a 6D2 you haven't got much else in terms of choice ;) (and before someone else tells me off it can of course take great pictures like every other camera body in the last decade :p )

Last edited:
So ive taken the plunge with a grey version of this. Ive fancied adding a full frame camera to my arsenal. Im comitted to Canon for the forseeable future and cant justify a 5d4. I thought about the 5d3 but i dont wanna sink another £300+ in a second hand version of older tech. I mainly shoot aviation with a little landscape and nighttime city so i believe this will be much more versatile than my current 7d2 for the latter and will complimentthe 7d2 in my main area of interest. I guess only time will tell if it turns out to be a white elephant or not.

So ive taken the plunge with a grey version of this. Ive fancied adding a full frame camera to my arsenal. Im comitted to Canon for the forseeable future and cant justify a 5d4. I thought about the 5d3 but i dont wanna sink another £300+ in a second hand version of older tech. I mainly shoot aviation with a little landscape and nighttime city so i believe this will be much more versatile than my current 7d2 for the latter and will complimentthe 7d2 in my main area of interest. I guess only time will tell if it turns out to be a white elephant or not.
Hi Ben. I have the old 6d and love it ! I'm sure you will enjoy the mark 2 ;-)

Gaz

and quite a bit under at e-infinity

I find that quite amazing for a relatively new camera. The negative reviews must have had an impact, but it must the better than the original 6D and that by all accounts is a fine camera even if the AF system is limited. I briefly tried the camera two years ago and was impressed. I am considering a 6D to go with my 7Dii with the former mainly for landscapes and seascapes. If the 6Dii price keeps dropping I will seriously consider it.

Anybody with personal experience of both cameras or any useful links to reviews? I looked at reviews when it was first released and found them underwhelming.

I've recently upgraded from a 5D Mark III to the 6D Mark II and am delighted with the decision. Whilst some will say the 5D III is a higher end camera, it definitely feels 'older' in many ways and the difference in tech was worth the move for me.

I wanted something with app remote control, touch screen and just a bit more up-to-date as sensor technology moves on so much in such a short space of time. I was also invested in Canon because I love the 24-70 f/2.8 and don't see myself finding a single lens I like more.

There's also a versatility about the 6D that I like, it does have this element of all-rounder about it.

It's a shame people are put off by the reviews, I recommend they instead look at something like Flickr and see the quality images that people produce with the 6D II and just pick based on your own requirements and budget.

I've recently upgraded from a 5D Mark III to the 6D Mark II and am delighted with the decision. Whilst some will say the 5D III is a higher end camera, it definitely feels 'older' in many ways and the difference in tech was worth the move for me.

I wanted something with app remote control, touch screen and just a bit more up-to-date as sensor technology moves on so much in such a short space of time. I was also invested in Canon because I love the 24-70 f/2.8 and don't see myself finding a single lens I like more.

There's also a versatility about the 6D that I like, it does have this element of all-rounder about it.

It's a shame people are put off by the reviews, I recommend they instead look at something like Flickr and see the quality images that people produce with the 6D II and just pick based on your own requirements and budget.

People underestimate things like this. Once you get used to them, it's very hard go to something without. The flip out screen also, for many, is a must nowadays. I think it's excellent value for a FF camera right now.

I just checked HDEW, wow!! The 6DII is now under the £1K mark on there at just £989 :eek: I am really tempted now

Lol,well I’m saying no more (y)

I'm only kidding, I would never use that angry smilie if I was actually annoyed :ROFLMAO:

The 6DII looks really good IMO, I don't get the bashing, most of it around YT seems to be because of the 4K - which I don't need, the one card slot - again, don't need, the one that does turn me off though is only 1/4000 shutter. For a FF camera that's pants. Also, it would have been much nicer with a joystick. But you gotta admit, for less than £1K, it is great value. Couple of cheap primes on top and I'd be good to go. But ... so many options lately

I'm only kidding, I would never use that angry smilie if I was actually annoyed :ROFLMAO:

The 6DII looks really good IMO, I don't get the bashing, most of it around YT seems to be because of the 4K - which I don't need, the one card slot - again, don't need, the one that does turn me off though is only 1/4000 shutter. For a FF camera that's pants. Also, it would have been much nicer with a joystick. But you gotta admit, for less than £1K, it is great value. Couple of cheap primes on top and I'd be good to go. But ... so many options lately

I knew you were only joking.

I had 2 6d’s and loved them and certainly would love a Mk ii if I could afford it,

I would have thought 1/4000 would cover most stuff though. Ymmv.

As you say a lot of options around hence my original post lol.

It’s my mantra now after being so hasty in the past.its saved me lately a few times .:D

I knew you were only joking.

I had 2 6d’s and loved them and certainly would love a Mk ii if I could afford it,

I would have thought 1/4000 would cover most stuff though. Ymmv.

As you say a lot of options around hence my original post lol.

It’s my mantra now after being so hasty in the past.its saved me lately a few times .:D

I've gotten too used to 1/16000th with electronic shutters, also silent - an ND filter would fix the speed thing though. I'd have to sell my gear to get it anyway, and when that happens I know I'll ponder even more

Last edited:
I've gotten too used to 1/16000th with electronic shutters, also silent -
That 2 stops is the same difference, as the DoF is the same from FF to M4/3.
So your 1.4 On M4/3 has the same DoF as 2.8 on FF. Also, whilst not totally silent, in quiet mode the 6d shutter is impressive.

Oops I may have just added to your dilemna.

Hi all, slight thread revival!

I posted a thread here recently: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ow-that-the-price-has-dropped-owners-opinions

Essentially - the negative reviews of the 6Dmkii were when it was a £2k camera; now grey versions are available for more like £900, would reviews be considerably more favourable, and is this camera a bit of a bargain now?

I'd love to hear the thoughts of any owners who have hands on experience, cheers everyone :)

Is it true the 6D is more of a studio camera?A guy in jessops told me the other day he thinks it's more of a studio camera.
It's pretty decent in low light, I had a look at images at 6400, not far behind the 5d4, not enough to matter IMHO.

the one that does turn me off though is only 1/4000 shutter.
I’ve seen people frothing at the mouth over this, and often when they start quoting their ‘issues’ the 1 stop turns into examples using 2 or 3 stops :dummy:. (Same people who complain about DSLRs being ‘massive’ and dismiss the fact that my EOS 5 is bigger than my 6d):p

In reality, what do you really lose from f1.4 to f2?

If I’m honest, the slower sync speed compared to a 5d is a lot bigger issue in my ‘real world’. But the lighter smaller body makes up for it.

I’ve seen people frothing at the mouth over this, and often when they start quoting their ‘issues’ the 1 stop turns into examples using 2 or 3 stops :dummy:. (Same people who complain about DSLRs being ‘massive’ and dismiss the fact that my EOS 5 is bigger than my 6d):p

In reality, what do you really lose from f1.4 to f2?

If I’m honest, the slower sync speed compared to a 5d is a lot bigger issue in my ‘real world’. But the lighter smaller body makes up for it.

Dafuq Phil, that was back in September I posted that and you already addressed it! :D I have no idea what I said or thought yesterday let alone 3 months back!

I don't froth over anything, not sure what kind of people you talk to :D I just know I like the faster shutter speeds when I'm shooting into direct sunlight, and this would be well stopped down

What I meant also was with a ML camera you can set it to Auto switch between mech shutter and ES, if I shoot in really bright conditions already stopped down to my desired aperture, if needed the camera will switch to the electronic shutter and use that extra stop. You can use a filter if you're wanting it the opposite end. You could argue what's the point of a filter, just stop down! It's all about options. Also I did add the silent nature of ES, that is really nice at times.

Last edited:
Dafuq Phil, that was back in September I posted that and you already addressed it! :D I have no idea what I said or thought yesterday let alone 3 months back!

I don't froth over anything, not sure what kind of people you talk to :D I just know I like the faster shutter speeds when I'm shooting into direct sunlight, and this would be well stopped down

The thread showed some unread, I never even noticed the age of your post when I replied, (and you weren’t the subject of the frothing comment) ;)

The thread showed some unread, I never even noticed the age of your post when I replied, (and you weren’t the subject of the frothing comment) ;)

Gotcha, I skim read at the best of times ;) But you know what I meant? it may be only an extra stop in shutter speed, but it's better to have than not. It's just surprising that a FF model is limited to 1/4000, but it's probably not a big deal to many. That's not why I gave up pondering on it though, I'm just too used to mirrorless at this stage, I'd find it hard to go back.

OT, I was at an event last week and the hired photographer was using a D810 and the 24-70, it had been a long time since I seen this combination and was amused at how huge it looked! [didn't help that the photographer was a tiny girl :D ] I was stood beside her at one point taking some group photos with the G80 + 12-40, pretty much the direct equivalent, and the size difference was fascinating to me. Looking at the differences on camera compare sites doesn't really do it justice

Another one to enjoy over a cuppa for you 6DmkII owners:
Thanks for the link.
I have not watched any reviews nor read any reviews before. Obviously heard all the bad press. I use the original 6d as a hobbyiest but really love the camera. I watched the above review and the others, linked above. I must say the 6d mark 2 looked great imo.

Gaz

I don't have a 6d2 but at its launch a lot of people wanted something else; thay were critical of what it actually was.

If it is now available at roughly half launch price it must be a very good deal indeed.

That’s what I figured when I picked one up from DigitalRev for less than half the price it originally launched at. I’ve not had much chance to play with it but from what I’ve seen so far I’m impressed.

Thanks for the link.
I have not watched any reviews nor read any reviews before. Obviously heard all the bad press. I use the original 6d as a hobbyiest but really love the camera. I watched the above review and the others, linked above. I must say the 6d mark 2 looked great imo.

Gaz

I honestly think the negatives against this camera were all highly exaggerated. If you don't tend to under expose all of your images and you're not planning to shoot sports then there's little to complain about, especially at the latest prices. If it had come out at that price level it would have been hailed. Everything just gets directly compared to the Sony FF offerings these days, but for anyone already invested in Canon lenses and not needing insane burst rates or DR, it seems a steal atm.

Hi All, I am seriously looking at the 6D Mk2 as an upgrade from my 600D. I feel it will be a worthy upgrade, especially as prices are now in the £950 region on Panamoz, HDEW.

Will be paring it up with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2 and 50mm f1.8.

Can anyone who has purchased a 6D Mk2 comment on the DR? Is it really that much of an issue? IMO people are complaining about 3 stops of DR, why are people under exposing by 3 stops?

Hi All, I am seriously looking at the 6D Mk2 as an upgrade from my 600D. I feel it will be a worthy upgrade, especially as prices are now in the £950 region on Panamoz, HDEW.

Can anyone who has purchased a 6D Mk2 comment on the DR? Is it really that much of an issue? IMO people are complaining about 3 stops of DR, why are people under exposing by 3 stops?

High dynamic range isn't for people who underexpose all their shots by 3 stops, they have bigger photography problems than lack of DR (though it's nice to have that latitude when you screw up the odd time or two in a pinch)

It's useful for high dynamic range scenes, for example sunsets. In such a scene the sky is very bright in comparison to the foreground. So if you exposure for the sky your foreground still be underexposed and in shadows but if you expose for the foreground your highlights in the sky will be completely blown due to overexposure.
Obviously there are various ways to get by this such as HDR style blending from multiple exposures or using ND grad filters. They come with their pros and cons too.
Its very convenient and nice to not have to carry multiple ND grads or go down the route of blending with multiple shots but many people do it and get really great results none the less.

Last edited:

Dynamic range may or may not be important, it depends on what you shoot and how you shoot. It's rare that DR will restrict you, but one example may be a sunset. For example I took a sunset using my D750 with a 3 stop ND filter for the sky and it was still very bright. I was able to underexpose the image to preserve the sky and still bring back the foreground in post for which I was very grateful for. However, if you find yourself in this kind of scenario and don't have the best DR then an easy way around this is to bracket your shot and blend in post.

We are spoilt with cameras these days so we (myself included) start splitting hairs and pulling cameras apart for not being good at this, or not being good at that, when in the real world it won't make much difference. The main reason I pull things apart is value for money and for not pushing things forward. For example, the reason that I criticised the DR on the 6D-II is not because it's bad and you won't get good images with it, just that it was lacking compared to the current market. I still think that's not great (especially when you consider what Canon charge for their new bodies), and for a relatively new camera the DR is low (relatively speaking) but it doesn't mean it's a bad camera in any way shape or form, images that you get from it are still fantastic. Put it this way, have you ever found the DR of your 600D limiting?

My main issue with the 6DII DR is that its no better than the old 6D, so your IQ is basically no better than what it was 6 years ago. In that 6 years time even m43 has caught up.
http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 6D,Canon EOS 6D Mark II,Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

So sure 6DII can take great pictures which is kind of a silly argument because so could 6D and so can the E-M1II now. When you are buying a FF camera with a FF sensor you should really be getting what you pay for not something that's 6 years behind. Of course its your money and its your wish how you choose to spend, I just don't feel its good value for my hard earned cash.

My main issue with the 6DII DR is that its no better than the old 6D, so your IQ is basically no better than what it was 6 years ago. In that 6 years time even m43 has caught up.
http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 6D,Canon EOS 6D Mark II,Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

So sure 6DII can take great pictures which is kind of a silly argument because so could 6D and so can the E-M1II now. When you are buying a FF camera with a FF sensor you should really be getting what you pay for not something that's 6 years behind. Of course its your money and its your wish how you choose to spend, I just don't feel its good value for my hard earned cash.

But if the 6d2 is available now for half what it was on release, i'd say its probabaly damn good value now.

Back