Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Any suggestions on what flash to go for? Think it is abou time I invested in one and learn't to use it properly. Currently have a sigma 35mm 1.4 and 18-135 stm. Will be adding an 85mm 1.8 shortly.

Managed to try mine out on a short break to the new forest. The Cygnet was taken with my Sigma 150-500mm and the other with my Canon EF-S 15-85mm.
Found it a bit strange after using my 7D though. One thing I did notice was the bottom edge of the hand grip pressing into the palm of my hand, became quite uncomfortable after a while.

IMG_0017_Sygnet.jpg

IMG_0052_GHill.jpg

Any suggestions on what flash to go for? Think it is abou time I invested in one and learn't to use it properly. Currently have a sigma 35mm 1.4 and 18-135 stm. Will be adding an 85mm 1.8 shortly.
I've just bought some new flash kit. Two Yongnuo 568EX II flashes and three YN622C wireless remotes (one for each flash and the other for on the camera shoe) and a soft box with mounting hardware etc.

I'm very pleased with the Yongnuo kit all works very well so far and the prices are very good. The flashes are about £115 each and the wireless remotes about £55 for two. (It worked out at under £400 for the lot) Ideal for my amateur work and a LOT cheaper than Canon flashes.

The flashes were to replace my old Canon 380EX units. (One of which is up for sale on ebay - PM me if you're interested)

Well picked up my replacement today. Battery is charging now, hopefully no more soft images at wide open aperatures

Fingers crossed Simon, mine seems to have been ok with my 40mm 2.8 since the exchange.

Well initial testing says this copy is worse! Stationary object was the focus point, parallel across from the lens, using the centre focus point. Camera on stack of solid books (tripod is busted), IS turned off and remote trigger used. Unfocused the lens after each shot and out of 10 shots only 2 were in focus. Thing is, even the shots that were out of focus varied in how much of of focus they were so MFA would be no help here. Will do some more testing tomorrow but what are the chances of me getting two dodgy copies?! Either way, my trust in the 70D is quickly evaporating.

Well initial testing says this copy is worse! Stationary object was the focus point, parallel across from the lens, using the centre focus point. Camera on stack of solid books (tripod is busted), IS turned off and remote trigger used. Unfocused the lens after each shot and out of 10 shots only 2 were in focus. Thing is, even the shots that were out of focus varied in how much of of focus they were so MFA would be no help here. Will do some more testing tomorrow but what are the chances of me getting two dodgy copies?! Either way, my trust in the 70D is quickly evaporating.

sounds very similar to what happened with my 85 1.8 on both bodies, which is why I sold it. Fortunately I have just my 40mm now which is an f2.8. I was going to considor saving for the sigma 18-35, but no point there either.
My other lenses are 50-500, 50-200 and a 200 2.8 which doesnt af anyway. I will be picking up an 18-135 stm soon, unless my mind gets changed

Just wondering if one or some of you could check how long the writing to card light stays on for when taking a single picture please.
About 1.5 seconds using a Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s card.

I should have said that was for a single raw image.
7 seconds seems very slow, have you tried a different card?
If I count 1, 2 it's finished writing by the time I get to 2.

I should have said that was for a single raw image.
7 seconds seems very slow, have you tried a different card?
If I count 1, 2 it's finished writing by the time I get to 2.

That was a single raw image on mine too. I have a couple of other cards but cant currently find them. Will probably buy a new card today. Hopefully its just card related.

Mine's usually under a couple of seconds for a full sized raw file. The only time it took much longer than that was when I used a MicroSD in a SD holder and it was a slower card anyway. I've always used Duracell 16Gb Class 10 200x cards in my 70D and in the SD slot of my 5D3 and had no problems at all with any of them. I also use Duracell CF cards in my 5D3 and usually take raw shots on that and Jpegs on the SD.

Mine takes about 1.5 seconds too to save a raw + large jpeg onto a 32Mb 45Mb/s Sandisk Extreme. Not that it really matters too much as the buffer will hold about 7 shots before slowing down anyway.
Are you doing any in camera HDR or exposure bracketing?

A class 4 card might be as slow as 4mb/s write whereas an extreme version class 10 may be around 45mb/s, in other words 10x as fast to write. Certainly sounds like your card, not your camera.

A class 4 card might be as slow as 4mb/s write whereas an extreme version class 10 may be around 45mb/s, in other words 10x as fast to write. Certainly sounds like your card, not your camera.

Could well be when you put it that way. There card has no mention of speed other than class 4. Will see what I can get while in york today.

Hi Simon, how did you do the test? I need to test my 18-135 as at present it is useless. Also how did you test for the mfa on your first copy? Cheers

Hi

Pretty much as in my previous post. Stabilised camera, stationary object level with the camera. Took a test shot with live view, pin sharp. Switched to centre focus point, de-foccused and took a shot with a remote release. Did this 10 times, the vast majority were out of focus. Tried MFA but the level of out of focus was so random this made no difference.

Returned it this morning.

Been having a think about it and may give the Fuji XE2 a try. Similar money and from what I read it produces as good if no better picture quality and ISO performance (subjective I know). How i'll find the difference in body feel i'm not sure yet but the overall package size does seem very appealing

Fingers crossed MFA works on your 18-135, I used the dot tune method to set my MFA

The 70D supports upto UHS-1 cards. FWIW I took a few shots with this card and the light was on for 3 seconds.

Hi simon, thanks for coming back to me, I'll give it a go and see how I get on! The camera certainly seems to have divided opinion on the web about its reliability. Thankfully, other than the 18-135, my other lenses are spot on & I really couldn't be happier the camera. I do also think this lens was playing up on my 550d. That said all the Fuji cameras are getting very good write ups, just a shame to spend a hell of a lot on money on something, for it not to deliver! Good luck finding a replacement

I haven't got a 70D yet.

Had a quick look at the PDF User Guide and I see that via the Q button you can Protect images.

Does anyone know if you assign one of the buttons on the back to Protect?

i am now the proud owner of the Canon 70D camera. :banana: To enable m to get to grips with this beauty and all its features, am I best purchasing a book from amazon or a manual from the internet. Don't fancy printing the full manual from the disc provided.

My 70D arrived midweek and I had to wait until today to use it in anger.

So far I am loving it. Seems strange to be cramming my nose up against the camera compared to the corner mounted EVF on my A6000, but I am getting used to it.

I have a 28mm F1.8 Canon lens arriving on Monday - just in time for my holiday :)

Dave.

Assuming I don't mind about grey imports, what's the best place to buy one from? panamoz?

Have a look at slrhut.co.uk

Got to use mine for the first time this weekend and I am really impressed.

Took some BIF shots at a local reservoir and it nailed 90% of them if I did my bit. That blows my A6000 out of the water.

Here is one of the shots:

_MG_0250
by davepsemmens, on Flickr

Also got some nice shots of plants and other more static things :)

Loving it!

Dave.

Last edited:
Have a look at slrhut.co.uk

Who are in the USA and not the UK despite attempts to create that impression. A search for them will reveal some concerns, as will taking an order as far as checkout and then comparing the 'starting' price with the 'despatch' price.

Back