Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Who are in the USA and not the UK despite attempts to create that impression. A search for them will reveal some concerns, as will taking an order as far as checkout and then comparing the 'starting' price with the 'despatch' price.

Nope it's £599 all in.

Pay with a credit card and you're covered.

I have ordered from Panamoz and they were very good.

digital

In that case they've changed the way they operate since I last checked.

Only if the payment goes to them direct. If it goes through a third party such as SagePay the protection is usually lost.

Shows £599 at checkout.

It doesn't mention SagePay in the T&Cs but I couldn't rule it out.

I wonder if PayPal gives protection as you can pay via them as well.

Payments are much safer when going through a PSP such as Sagepay. I wouldn't trust any merchant with taking my cc details directly for them to key in manually later unless they are a very big company such as Amazon.

Just got my 70D but I'm struggling with the wifi connection functionality.

I'm trying to connect the 70D wirelessly to my iMac.

I've installed EOS Utility on the mac.
On the camera I've clicked Remote Control (EOS Utility) and set my wifi settings in the camera.
It connects ok (server name shows my iMac in the camera wifi settings) but then EOS Utility has the download/remote settings/etc items greyed out.

Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Last edited:
Is there a connection utility?

Yep, that's EOS Utility isn't it?

The camera settings show "remote control (EOS utility) server name: my imac" so it looks like everything is ok on the camera side but in EOS Utility itself the options are all greyed out.

View attachment 14870

I downloaded the software from the website instead of using the CD and it seems to have worked now

Ok well now I can import using EOS Utility over wifi but can I import directly into Lightroom over wifi?

The LR import screen looks like this:

View attachment 14877

It shows a device with no photos found.

Any ideas?

I haven't got a 70D yet. I want to do the same.

One option would be to see if you can get import in to a folder and have LR watch and import from that folder.

Yeah I think that's possible, using EOS Utility to import and then Lightroom to auto-import from the watched folder but I wondered if it's possible to get LR to import directly itself?

Is there an equivalent of the Windows Firewall possibly stopping it.

Maybe see if you can go via EOSUtility to a watched folder first.

N.b. I tried to tether with a 1Dx and LR and couldn't get it working.

I borrowed a great lens from a mate (24-70mm f2.8 II USM - what a lens!) and thought I'd give my 70D a work out at high ISO with it.

All the images were taken in very little light, just lit with a few spotlights and some artifical smoke around. I'm pleased with the results for the conditions and effect. I did do some post work in LR but not much and the camera output was jpg rather than RAW, so the camera also did some high ISO noise reduction. I thought I'd just post for anyone's interest.

1. ISO 12800

2. ISO 12800

3. ISO 25600

4. ISO 12800

5. ISO 12800

And the rest of the album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanrounding/sets/72157645650575552/

Some really great shots there Duncan.
The lighting for that type of stage shot can get very high contrast, but you seem to have managed to avoid blowing out the highlights.
The metering has coped very well.
For 12800 the noise is certainly not excessive and even has a pretty good dynamic range.
I can remember the days when we'd be using pushed Tri-X B&W film for shots like that, and the grain would be like chunks of coal!

I wonder why you chose to shoot jpg and not raw?

Last edited:
Is there a 3rd party batteries available that will charge ok with the 70D charger.
Have tried both of my 7D ones, and all you get is a communication fault error light.

Just purchased my Canon 70D (my first DSLR) and have been testing out buttons, menus, etc. I'm not sure what I pressed or chose, but now there is a blue frame around my image in the LCD and also on the images in playback. (It does not appear on any images I took before the blue frame appeared in the LCD.) It looks like it crops off a bit of the sides of the image. I have been scouring the manual, and can't find any mention this or of what I did to cause it. While I feel a bit stupid asking, I am hoping one of you fine folks may have knowledge of this issue?

I have pushed every button on mine and cant get the same issue. All I can suggest is hit the menu key and scroll to the 3rd from the right menu and select Clear All Camera Settings and see if that helps.

Which if I had read the link above it tells you exactly that.. doh!!!

Last edited:
Well, after a bit more investigation, here's some more information. I took identical photos using LCD screen and viewfinder. When I downloaded onto my computer, the photos taken using the LCD screen (with the lines on the side) are not as wide as the ones taken using the viewfinder. It's like watching a DVD in widescreen versus full screen. Is this normal and my inexperience/ignorance is the problem?

Somewhere there's the option to set the aspect ratio. I think using the screen forces the aspect ratio. Did you manually set it to something different for the viewfinder?

Well, after a bit more investigation, here's some more information. I took identical photos using LCD screen and viewfinder. When I downloaded onto my computer, the photos taken using the LCD screen (with the lines on the side) are not as wide as the ones taken using the viewfinder. It's like watching a DVD in widescreen versus full screen. Is this normal and my inexperience/ignorance is the problem?
Clear your custom functions and check the image aspect ratio is default at 3:2.

I bought mine on 21st August 2013, and as far as I can determine, I posted the first photo by a 70D online in the UK (I searched for earlier postings of images, and there are only those from "testers" for websites & magazines etc.) - and I still love it as much today, as I did way back then!

Paul.

My 70d has had to go back due to very inconsistent focussing issues, but before being sent off today I tried the video out at a local badger set, and I have to say I am very impressed with the performance!

iso 6400
lit by 1 maglite torch
40mm f2.8 plus the digital zoom of 3-10x in camera. It's not gone on youtube in full hd, but shows what its capable off.

So I bit the bullet and my new 70D arrived today - just waiting for the battery to charge but I can't wait to start using it!

Has anyone got the tamron 24-70mm? Thinking about one as my next purchase as the price is 1/2 of the canon and the reviews all seem very positive. However does anyone has any real life experience of the lens?

I'm getting on really well with my 70D, I'm sure most AF 'issues' are slightly blown out of proportion.

The 70-300 L got it's first bit of use a couple of weekends ago, great lens and blows my old Tamron into orbit.

100% at 300mm and f5.6 with a bit of heat haze to contend with:

Screenshot%202014-08-19%2022.37.04.png

IMG_2842.jpg

IS works brilliantly for panning, shot handheld at 1/100th

IMG_1766.jpg

Really happy with my current setup now.

Last edited:
Just upgrade my second camera body to the 70D from a broken 20D (shutter), I mainly do motorsport and aviation and main body is 1D MKIIn,, my question is for the action photographers out there. As the AF point expansion is not available in the 70D unlike the 7D for which it inherites the AF system from, do you prefer to use the Zone AF mode or do you still rely on the Single point AF mode to nail the focus. Not sure the AF point selection mode will be used that much.

For fast action shots I always use the single centre point with AI servo, with BB focus.

Gutted had my 70D less than a week and it's going back for a replacement, poor focusing, high levels of noise. Not impressed at all :(

To be honest it's most of them. I'm really really annoyed, almost to the point I wish I'd stayed with my 40D! You'd think 3 generations on you would see a big leap forward but instead it's like a huge step back. The images just show fuzzy noise and soft focus. I'm trying a second body & getting the lens calibrated to ensure all the hardware is ok then I'll run some tests to see if the new camera works better otherwise I'll be looking to change model to maybe a 7D. Hopefully the replacement will sort it.

For what it's worth from my "research" there appears to be an issue shooting with the centre focus point especially at wide apertures and when the subject is a small distance away

Back