Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

The thing is with me being a complete novice I am not 100% sure if it is the camera or me causing the issues. I have noticed that on some image I have processed in Lightroom 5 I have to crank up the luminance to about 65-70 to sharpen the images up.

To be honest it's most of them. I'm really really annoyed, almost to the point I wish I'd stayed with my 40D! You'd think 3 generations on you would see a big leap forward but instead it's like a huge step back. The images just show fuzzy noise and soft focus. I'm trying a second body & getting the lens calibrated to ensure all the hardware is ok then I'll run some tests to see if the new camera works better otherwise I'll be looking to change model to maybe a 7D. Hopefully the replacement will sort it.
Hi,

Very strange, my 70D is the 2nd best Canon I've owned and I have no issues with mine, I don't even have to process any images they all come straight from camera as JPEG.

Don't ever think the 7D will be any better, AF might be faster but they tend to produce softer noisier, images that require loads of PP.

I've owned, 350D, 30D, 1D Mark 2, 550D, 7D, 5D Mark 3 and now the 70D, and that will only be replaced if the 7D Mark 2 turns up and can better it.

Mike.

A reasonable video on the issue:
Interesting, but he does like the sound of his own voice: he could have made the point in a third of the time! And he needs to get that woodworm sorted!

Last edited:
I've just bought a new ef 70-200 f4 is lens and wondered if anyone had any feedback or advice on whether the 70d retains autofocus when this lens is used with a 2x kenko converter? I won't be able to test it until Sat.

I've just bought a new ef 70-200 f4 is lens and wondered if anyone had any feedback or advice on whether the 70d retains autofocus when this lens is used with a 2x kenko converter? I won't be able to test it until Sat.

....I don't think the 2x retains Autofocus on the 70D (I'm not sure) but the 1.4x does and I found it to be an excellent combination.

The 70D will autofocus to f5.6 only. I don't expect the 2x converter will work.

Thank you Robin & Duncan for swift responses. May find it a little difficult to focus manually in that case but looking forward to testing at the weekend. First impressions on this dark evening is that the 70-200 is a belter!

Paul, I had a Kenko Pro300 DGX 2x for a short while before it developed a fault, however on my 24-105 f4L it did retain autofocus on a 650D and a 7D and they autofocus to f5.6 too. I also tried a 100-400 f4.5-5.6L with a Kenko Pro300 DGX 1.4x on various crop and full frame bodies and that retained autofocus on all the bodies too. If your 2x is the Pro300 DGX model then you have a reasonable chance of attaining autofocus with the 70D, albeit probably slower than normal and only in good light. Hope your lucky.

Thanks Stuart, my one is an old teleplus, that I first had with my Eos 100. Don't hold out much hope of anything special, but look forward to testing in the morning.

Hi,

New member of the forum here and also new owner of a 70D
I was wondering what lenses you guys & gals would suggest as spent weeks reading & watching videos and seem to be more confused now than ever :confused:
I enjoy taking photos of places i visit like a visual holiday diary also very much into macro and wildlife.
The lens list below is what i thought might fit the bill - i'd rather save and invest in good glass the first time as to getting kit lenses and having to buy better lenses in the future.

1) canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 or canon 17-55mm f/2.8 (walkabout lens)
2) canon 100mm macro L
3) canon 35mm f/2 is usm
4) canon 70-300 L or canon 70-200 L f/4

Any thoughts would always be appreciated - if i went for the 17-55mm id buy the 55-250 stm lens to cover the gap between 55 & 70mm

Cheers :)

A couple of others to consider depending on your budget. 24-70mm f2.8 or the 18-135mm stock lens. The latest 24-70mm f2.8 is a great lens if you run to it.

The Canon mark II USM is excellent. Comes in at about £1600 though. Can't speak for the Sigma version. I have the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 mind and very happy with that.

A reasonable video on the issue:

....This appears to be the same issue which some have reported on the new 7D Mark II.

@Doodle Moo - It's not something that has jumped out at me, mine isn't the VC though.
But judge for yourself, the majority of the pictures in my flickr photostream are with the Tamron 17-50 (except the planes and cars).

I supose, with a critical eye, the corners might be a little soft, but it's certainly nothing that's ever bothered me. I've not had the Canon 18-55 f2.8 to compare them to though.

Edit: It would help to supply the flickr URL I guess ;)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/

Last edited:
Awww cool thanks Tim :)
You've taken some cracking shots there, especially the half sunk barge that one really stand out i like that (y)
The trains are very atomspheric too

The tamron does seem sharp - thank you for sharing

The barge was with an 85mm f1.8 (so were a few of the later locos), but most were the 17-50.
A couple of the shots of the Tiger Tank could have been soft in the bottom corners (but then again, that could have been DoF).

As I said, the lens hardly ever comes off my 7D.

Interesting.

There's no such thing as "Twickenham Railway Bridge" over the Thames, but I can tell by the reflection that you are actually referring to Richmond Railway Bridge,

View attachment 28907

Another cost-effective alternative to the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 is the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC HSM OS. There's another recent thread talking about the lens, it's a cracking performer, definitely worth considering. Enjoy the new camera!

Hi,
I enjoy taking photos of places i visit like a visual holiday diary also very much into macro and wildlife.

Another cost-effective alternative to the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 is the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC HSM OS. There's another recent thread talking about the lens, it's a cracking performer, definitely worth considering. Enjoy the new camera!
Yes it's here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sigma-17-50mm-f2-8-ex-dc-os-hsm.574934/#post-6672587
I have this lens and it's a great one, can be bought under 300£ new from uk stock! And it's a great walkabout lens!

For your macro I'm not sure, I don't do macro! But I read on the forum that the 100L is great also I think the 100 non L is good to. And some here seems to use inverter ring and extension tube instead of dedicated lens.

For your wildlife with the canon the 55-250 is a great option, small, light and incredibly cheap. Then if you want to spend more, wildlife lenses are getting much bigger and heavier. I have a canon 100-400mm which is great but I haven't had time to use much yet.

I guess for your need in macro and wildlife you should post in/read the specific section of the forum were people can give you better options. And also look at the classified section, there's some good deal to do. It's a bit cheaper that ebay and you have more confidence in the seller's description.

Last edited:
Interesting.

There's no such thing as "Twickenham Railway Bridge" over the Thames, but I can tell by the reflection that you are actually referring to Richmond Railway Bridge,

View attachment 28907
Fair enough. Having lived in the general area all my life I've always thought it closer to Twickenham, but fair enough, it says Richmond, so Richmond it is.

Edit: Looking at Google maps, yes it is closer to Richmond. :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I was wondering what lenses you guys & gals would suggest as spent weeks reading & watching videos and seem to be more confused now than ever :confused:
The lens list below is what i thought might fit the bill - i'd rather save and invest in good glass the first time as to getting kit lenses and having to buy better lenses in the future.

1) canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 or canon 17-55mm f/2.8 (walkabout lens)
2) canon 100mm macro L
3) canon 35mm f/2 is usm
4) canon 70-300 L or canon 70-200 L f/4

Any thoughts would always be appreciated - if i went for the 17-55mm id buy the 55-250 stm lens to cover the gap between 55 & 70mm

Cheers :)
Another new owner here of the 70d so thought I would join in. Current kit I have is

Canon 70d
Canon 40mm f2.8
Canon 85mm f1.8
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8
Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 VC

Regarding the above post I watched reviews for the 17-50 range and the canon 17-55 came top but not far behind was the sigma and it's half the price and I have been impressed so far. I got the tamron 70-300 over the canon L version or the canon 70-200 as it's much cheaper too. And to be honest for what I use the camera for I wouldn't tell the difference.

Last edited:
I've just bought a 70D myself and can't wait to get out there and start using it. I'll also be trying to get some good shots of my 2 week old daughter :)

I've just bought a 70D myself and can't wait to get out there and start using it. I'll also be trying to get some good shots of my 2 week old daughter :)

Welcome! And congrats on your new arrival too (daughter, not the 70D :p). It's a fantastic camera and great for video too, for when she starts getting active.

Also recently got and a 70d and last week bought a 70-200 f4L looking forward to taking many nice shots(hopefully)

anyone got one for sale with a nice lens, need something for a wedding on saturday
Hire one?

You are sufficiently familiar with it's operation to be able to use it for something so important?

I would have thought it was a bit late to be able to hire kit for Saturday now, never mind getting acquainted with it.

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a 70D and was wondering if someone could answer me this? It says that it has WiFi... What does this mean exactly? Will it allow me to transfer any Jpeg pictures I take on the camera, straight over to say, an iPad or an Android phone?

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a 70D and was wondering if someone could answer me this? It says that it has WiFi... What does this mean exactly? Will it allow me to transfer any Jpeg pictures I take on the camera, straight over to say, an iPad or an Android phone?
Yes you can do that, you can also connect to a router etc and use the EOS Utility. It also allows you to shoot remotely using a mobile device as a remote shutter and you can change things like ISO, F stop and shutter speed.

Look here

Last edited:
Hello all,

You don't need eye-fi, wifi is built in to the camera. The app us available for Android. A point to note: the speed of transfer is not as fast as you might hope. I was a bit disappointed how long it took to transfer each image for view on the app or pc.

I use the App on both iPad and iPhone, to be honest I'd not use wifi to transfer files but I do use it the odd time for remote shooting.

You don't need eye-fi, wifi is built in to the camera. The app us available for Android. A point to note: the speed of transfer is not as fast as you might hope. I was a bit disappointed how long it took to transfer each image for view on the app or pc.

To be honest Duncan I would only be looking at transferring the occasional photo. It would be more to view images when I am on holiday or out and about.

Back